PDA

View Full Version : Powell Hopes to Play NT

WARHORSE
05-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Powell hopes to hold ground on Broncos' new line

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/powe...oncos-new-line (http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/powell-hopes-hold-ground-broncos-new-line)

Tom Robinson
The Virginian-Pilot
May 19, 2009

For someone who's yet to play in an NFL game, Chesapeake's Carlton Powell has seen a career's worth of NFL drama play out before him.

One year with the Denver Broncos has brought Powell, a defensive tackle who attended Virginia Tech, a torn Achilles tendon that cost him his first shot at a rookie season. His team, once 8-5 and easily atop the AFC West, lost three straight at the end and missed the playoffs.

His coach Mike Shanahan, a presumed Denver untouchable, was canned and replaced by peach-fuzzed Josh McDaniels, who immediately clashed with high-producing/high-maintenance quarterback Jay Cutler, who wound up traded to Chicago.

Still following? Good. The plot thickens...

The new defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, brought a new defensive scheme, ditching Denver's 4-3 base for a 3-4 alignment foreign to Powell. Then Denver's defensive line, routinely abused by running attacks last season, was virtually ignored in the college draft, which sparked a grumbling maelstrom in the Bronco-fan blogosphere.

Into this roiling swirl again steps Powell, mended and actually more insulated than most Broncos from the franchise's seismic shifts.

"My advantage was, although I was in film sessions and watching practice, I didn't really go through the same regimen as the rest of the players," Powell said Monday from Denver. "I wasn't as acclimated to the old way, so the change-over probably isn't going to affect me as much as it affects other players that were used to the way things were."

The things that can be are what drive Powell, 23, through his offseason workouts at the Broncos' training complex. Fully healed since January, Powell compares the specter of his NFL debut to a wandering soul in the desert.

"I'm waiting to get that first cup of water," he says, "and it's going to go down."

Powell's ultimate place, however, will be determined more by sips than gulps. Uncertainty surrounds him. He's a fifth-round draft choice coming off surgery, but with a reputation as a solid run-stuffer at Virginia Tech. He's also among a nondescript gaggle of veterans and rookie free agents, one of whom is Hampton University's Chris Baker, on a defensive line that sorely needs to raise its collective game.

"We're gonna get the job done this year, definitely," Powell says. "I'm not worried about it at all."

Powell admits to initial concern over the regime change, though. He's a Shanahan holdover, an unproven one at that. But Powell, who trains five days a week at Denver's complex, says he's been pro-active getting to know McDaniels and his staff by introducing himself around the training facility.

Powell, who Denver lists at 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds - Powell says he's closer to 315 - figures to compete for the nose-tackle job rather than either defensive end in coordinator Mike Nolan's new 3-4.

While Powell prides himself on versatility, the priority of a 3-4 nose tackle - holding ground even against double-team blocking - plays to his talents.

"You're right over the center, and if there's a double team it'll be on you real quick," he says. "You cannot give up any movement at all and allow them to get up to the linebackers in a 3-4."

That trench battle is where it really gets dramatic for a guy like Powell on the field. He can't wait, because he's had his fill of the other kind, thanks.

"It just shows you how the league is definitely a business, and that a lot of things can change in a small amount of time," he says of the Broncos' recent past. "You've just got to be able to adjust and roll with it."

WARHORSE
05-19-2009, 05:42 AM
I like Powell and think he will be a player for us.

Especially at 315.

Dirk
05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Being a hold over from Shanny, he must have "something" that McD sees and Nolan as well.

Here's to hoping he can do the job! :beer:

NameUsedBefore
05-19-2009, 06:27 AM
We're gonna need someone.

The 3-4 is going to collapse on itself if a stalwart at NT isn't there.

Specifically why I'm a little worried that we don't actually have a single person we can point to and say, "You're gonna be the NT."

Nomad
05-19-2009, 06:50 AM
We'll find out in July when the pads come on and the players can have full contact, until then hopefully the front-runners at NG are beefing up and play with a chip on their shoulder.

broncofaninfla
05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm going to have my eye on this kid, I think he has a chance of being a good player for us. He was a pretty hot prospect coming out of college two years ago.

NameUsedBefore
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Ya a lot of the college gurus here have been pretty high on Powell. It will be the most interesting position battle this summer outside of the QBs.

Fan in Exile
05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Fields, Powell, Thomas, and Baker look to be competing for the spot, that's a pretty good competition of young guys right there. At this point with our NG I can't think of anyone that we could have brought in who would be a significant upgrade over the guys that we've got except for maybe Brace. The reports here about Raji are that he's going to be playing a lot of time at DE, and I don't see any of the other guys who were available as an upgrade on what we've got.

I'm still hoping that next year we could get a stud unless one of these guys really pans out. I don't think we'll be horrible, but I'm not expecting us to dominate either.

NightTrainLayne
05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
My adopted Bronco for the season doesn't get any respect. I think that means I either made a brilliant pick or a disastrous one.

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Fields, Powell, Thomas, and Baker look to be competing for the spot, that's a pretty good competition of young guys right there. At this point with our NG I can't think of anyone that we could have brought in who would be a significant upgrade over the guys that we've got except for maybe Brace. The reports here about Raji are that he's going to be playing a lot of time at DE, and I don't see any of the other guys who were available as an upgrade on what we've got.

I'm still hoping that next year we could get a stud unless one of these guys really pans out. I don't think we'll be horrible, but I'm not expecting us to dominate either.

A 340 pound defensive end?

NTL, aren't they talking about Fields standing up...I think its crazy, but isn't that what I read.

NightTrainLayne
05-19-2009, 09:27 AM

NTL, aren't they talking about Fields standing up...I think its crazy, but isn't that what I read.

I hadn't seen that. Would be interested to see that if you have a link or can find the story. It wouldn't seem to fit with everything else I've seen.

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I hadn't seen that. Would be interested to see that if you have a link or can find the story. It wouldn't seem to fit with everything else I've seen.

Edit: Nevermind...Darrell Reid, not Fields...

Fan in Exile
05-19-2009, 09:55 AM

It seemed crazy to me as well, check here (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/02/1/) although that sounds a little more balanced than the TV report was. It looks like he'll be playing NT, DE, and UT positions, as opposed to a true NT. I'm guessing we'll have to wait and see a little bit where he pans out.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Absolutely great news. I'd expect him and Fields to get some quality time rotating. I'm not sure Baker makes the active roster unless he really impresses; but we'll see. I love Powell's attitude though!

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I've had high hopes for this kid since reading his BIO. I suspect he will get a lot of action at NT..

SmilinAssasSin27
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Among Fields, Baker and Powell, we have our NT spot covered. Thomas can try out DE.

WARHORSE
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Among Fields, Baker and Powell, we have our NT spot covered. Thomas can try out DE.

NT needs to be cockstrong.

I dont see that hes been eating more, especially rehabbing.

Im thinking that extra 15 pounds is solid muscle and hes going to need it.:coffee:

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
NT needs to be cockstrong.

I dont see that hes been eating more, especially rehabbing.

Im thinking that extra 15 pounds is solid muscle and hes going to need it.:coffee:

Thomas doesn't fit that bill, either.

We need a true NT, and we don't have it. It's a concern.

WARHORSE
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Thomas doesn't fit that bill, either.

We need a true NT, and we don't have it. It's a concern.

Im saying he gained 15 pounds and it wasnt from eating.

He wasnt an overly large man girth wise as it was. So if he gained 15 pounds of muscle, which is what he seems to have done, hes gonna have it a lot better than if he didnt add that weight.

I cant wait to see him play.

rcsodak
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
On NFL Radio today, PKirwin was asked about Denver's switch to the 3-4....

....he says last year, their 'inside traingle' *ends-MLB* wasn't anything special....which showed in the stats.

He says their new 'inside triangle', *NT-ILB'S*, is prolly "the worst of any 3-4 team in the National Football League".

I guess I'd agree. I mean, who's going to be the ILB's? They were talking about Davis, watching him play with CLE.....and that he was slow to react...and that for a 3-4 team to let him go, says something.

owwy. :shocked:

Lonestar
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
On NFL Radio today, PKirwin was asked about Denver's switch to the 3-4....

....he says last year, their 'inside traingle' *ends-MLB* wasn't anything special....which showed in the stats.

He says their new 'inside triangle', *NT-ILB'S*, is prolly "the worst of any 3-4 team in the National Football League".

I guess I'd agree. I mean, who's going to be the ILB's? They were talking about Davis, watching him play with CLE.....and that he was slow to react...and that for a 3-4 team to let him go, says something.

owwy. :shocked:

not working as a cohesive unit before perhaps the stats could be misleading..

I have to think that Nolan will have a something figured out by the end of TC..

If not we very well may be drafting top 8 this coming year..