PDA

View Full Version : As an outsider, I think this Nuggets/WWE thing is hilarious

sneakers
05-19-2009, 02:58 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

By the way, I think the WWE would win if it went to court, but the WWE will probably take the cash, and go elsewhere.

Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers are scheduled to be at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday night.

Problem is, so are John Cena and a bunch of wrestlers -- and they called it first.

World Wrestling Entertainment said it is booked at the arena for an episode of Monday Night Raw, the same night the Nuggets are slated to host the Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon told The Associated Press he doesn't believe there was "any malice, just ineptness," on the part of Kroenke Sports, which owns the team and the building, but can't tolerate the company "just simply throwing us out on our ear."

Without a quick resolution, McMahon plans to send his trucks to Denver.

"That's what we intend to do," he said. "We're going to show up."

Pepsi Center officials told the ABC television affiliate in Denver that the Nuggets game will be played as scheduled and that they are working with the WWE to reschedule or move its event.

Paul Andrews, executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, issued a statement Monday night concerning the scheduling conflict, saying: "We are working with the WWE to resolve the situation amicably."

WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman said the organization secured the Pepsi Center last Aug. 15 and has already sold more than 10,000 tickets for the event. He says the organization expects a sellout, with tickets ranging from $20 to $70.

McMahon blamed Kroenke for not believing his team was good enough to still be playing in mid-May.

"The fans in Denver had a lot more faith in making the playoffs than the owner," he said in a phone interview from Louisville, where Raw was taking place later Monday night.

Denver is usually done with basketball by now. The Nuggets had lost in the first round five straight years, but as the No. 2 seed in the West are in the conference finals for the first time since 1985.

The league, which handles scheduling during the playoffs, is leaving it up to the team and the WWE to figure things out.

"The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference finals cannot be changed," NBA senior vice president Mike Bass said. "We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict."

Zimmerman said the Pepsi Center confirmed in March with the WWE that the organization wanted to keep the May 25 date, and sent a contract on April 15 -- the final night of the regular season -- which WWE signed and returned. Tickets went on sale April 11.

The conflict didn't arise until Sunday, when the Lakers beat the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals. Had the Rockets won, Denver would have had home-court advantage in the next round, hosting Games 1 and 2 and putting the May 25 game in Houston.

As of Monday afternoon, the schedule on the Pepsi Center's Web site listed WWE for 6:30 p.m. local time and Western Conference finals Game 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the wrestling event could still be purchased online.

McMahon said he couldn't guess how much he would make from the show, but that canceling wasn't easy because of how much is involved in moving his equipment, plus filling its obligated time slot on USA Network. Litigation is likely -- but he plans to be putting on a card.

"When you do have a date, you plan everything around it," he said, adding, "we may be holding an event in a parking lot somewhere."

sneakers
05-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Although it would be great if they could have both events go on at the same time right beside each other (A wrestling ring right beside a basketball court...is there that much room in the pepsi center?)

Nomad
05-19-2009, 07:00 AM
I find it funny as well. Is the event just scheduled or does the Pepsi Center/WWE have some sort of contract for that evening? I guess the Pepsi Center owner is surprised the Nuggets made it this far :lol:. I know the Nuggets fans thinks the WWE should just bow down, but both are businesses and if I were the WWE I would move to a new location but with alot of extra money in my pocket. NBA would do the same thing especially as greedy as David Stern is!

Oh well, I probably won't watch the game anyway.

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
McMahon is a douche.

There's also a concert on May 26th. Take your payout and find a new venue, and shut your yapper.

I believe there's language in the Nuggets contract with the Pepsi Center that if a Nuggets or Avalanche game is scheduled at the same time as some other event, the Nuggets/Avalanche event takes precedent because they are the principal tenants.

The WWE is now TBD.

weazel
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
what is this wwe and nba you're talking about? I dont think either are important enough to worry about. Maybe they should kick them both out and hold something important, like maybe a dog show or a baseball card sale.

Nomad
05-19-2009, 11:44 AM
what is this wwe and nba you're talking about? I dont think either are important enough to worry about. Maybe they should kick them both out and hold something important, like maybe a dog show or a baseball card sale.

Quilting Show;)!! This supercedes all of them:D.

My fandom of the NBA left with John Stockton and the players I watched in the 80s and 90s. And I never was a fan of wrestling though the WWE should be compensated.

BroncoAV06
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't understand all this Nuggets owner didn't think his team would still be in the playoffs BS. Do you think Stan does the bookings? It's a total acident they ended up on the same day, there was and is no way to know the exact dates of the games untill the series wrap up. It happened, WWE is milking it for attention on ESPN and they will get there money and move on.

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't understand all this Nuggets owner didn't think his team would still be in the playoffs BS. Do you think Stan does the bookings? It's a total acident they ended up on the same day, there was and is no way to know the exact dates of the games untill the series wrap up. It happened, WWE is milking it for attention on ESPN and they will get there money and move on.

If the Rockets had won Game 7 instead of L.A., there wouldn't have been a problem.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM

I agree that WWE is milking it for attention ONLY. And if the Avs made the playoffs, rather than the Nuggets, there could have been a scheduling conflict there.

Buff
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Obviously someone decided to take a calculated risk on not having a conflict arise (because back in October, it had to seem very unlikely that this team would make its first trip to the conference finals in 25 years.) The question I have is how high up did those conversations go?? Will someone lose their job for doing this or did the higher-ups authorize it and decide to gamble? That's what I'd like to know.

Northman
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
McMahon is a douche.

There's also a concert on May 26th. Take your payout and find a new venue, and shut your yapper.

I believe there's language in the Nuggets contract with the Pepsi Center that if a Nuggets or Avalanche game is scheduled at the same time as some other event, the Nuggets/Avalanche event takes precedent because they are the principal tenants.

The WWE is now TBD.

That was pretty much my thinking as well. Although the WWE is probably a good draw i think any home team should have the precedant over another gig whether its the WWE or some concert event.

MOtorboat
05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
That was pretty much my thinking as well. Although the WWE is probably a good draw i think any home team should have the precedant over another gig whether its the WWE or some concert event.

I believe they do, although the NHL accommadated the douche bag a few weeks ago.

honz
05-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I believe they do, although the NHL accommadated the douche bag a few weeks ago.

I think that was for a Yanni concert...unless there was another instance.

Devilspawn
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
McMahon is a douche.

But what money will that bring? Vince could care less if RAW is shown in his bathroom. As long as he reels in a new audience, which he's doing right now as this soap opera drags out, he wins. He already won. He got an interview on ESPN. It'll be news during every game. And when you google the Denver Nuggets, the first three letters you see on new headlines is WWE.

Vince is a versus guy. This is his arena so to speak and he won't lose.

The WWE is now TBD.

Can McMahon sue though? I believe tickets are sold out for this show. He can't hold it on Tuesday, since he has another show. Wednesday is an option, but not the sexy end result for McMahon, and what's to say customers won't ask for a refund. Yeah it's Kroenke's building, but unless there's specific language that forces McMahon and Co. out, a judge may have to step in if McMahon doesn't budge.

Devilspawn
05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I think that was for a Yanni concert...unless there was another instance.
Don't mess with Yanni. That dude's an intergalactic badass!

sneakers
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't think Vince McMahon is being a douche at all, he could be a dick and say "We have a contract, and the Pepsi Center has an obligation under the law to honor the contract"...

If he has a contract with the Pepsi Center and there are no exceptions in the contract saying he would have to move venues under a situation such as this, he doesn't have to move out of the Pepsi Center for the Nuggets or the second coming of Christ.

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't think Vince McMahon is being a douche at all, he could be a dick and say "We have a contract, and the Pepsi Center has an obligation under the law to honor the contract"...

If he has a contract with the Pepsi Center and there are no exceptions in the contract saying he would have to move venues under a situation such as this, he doesn't have to move out of the Pepsi Center for the Nuggets or the second coming of Christ.

The Pepsi Center and the City of Denver also have a contract with the Denver Nuggets which takes precedence over any other event. Apparently their contract doesn't count? :noidea:

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 07:36 AM
But what money will that bring? Vince could care less if RAW is shown in his bathroom. As long as he reels in a new audience, which he's doing right now as this soap opera drags out, he wins. He already won. He got an interview on ESPN. It'll be news during every game. And when you google the Denver Nuggets, the first three letters you see on new headlines is WWE.

Vince is a versus guy. This is his arena so to speak and he won't lose.

Can McMahon sue though? I believe tickets are sold out for this show. He can't hold it on Tuesday, since he has another show. Wednesday is an option, but not the sexy end result for McMahon, and what's to say customers won't ask for a refund. Yeah it's Kroenke's building, but unless there's specific language that forces McMahon and Co. out, a judge may have to step in if McMahon doesn't budge.

He may not "lose" in this situation, but he won't be having his event at the Pepsi Center next week.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
McMahon is NOTHING but a major jerk. He has now canceled all 3 Colorado dates - BUT he says he will come back to Denver in August - and WHERE - at the Denver Coliseum - who stepped up to the plate and offered the Coliseum on May 25th, after the scheduling conflict, BUT he turned down the offer BECAUSE the Coliseum only seats 10,000????????????????

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=116146&catid=339

DENVER - World Wrestling Entertainment will move three wrestling events from various Colorado arenas to the STAPLES Center after a Denver Nuggets playoff game created a scheduling conflict at the Pepsi Center.

Dubbed the "Denver Debacle," a schedule conflict erupted after the Denver Nuggets advanced to the Western Conference Finals putting Game 4 of the seven game series on the same night, and location, as the WWE's Live Raw event: May 25 at the Pepsi Center.

WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, speaking live on 4 O'Clock at 9NEWS, said the WWE was cancelling the Pepsi Center event along with a May 24 event in Loveland and a May 26 show in Colorado Springs.

All three shows will move to the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, home of the Denver Nuggets' current opponent, the LA Lakers.

McMahon said WWE would return to Colorado with an engagement at the Denver Coliseum on August 7. A spokeswoman for the Coliseum said the WWE would determine when tickets would go on sale for that event.

"We need to get back and make it right," said McMahon. "We're going to do the right thing by our audience for sure and that's why we're coming back in August."

McMahon stressed that his issue is not with fans in Colorado, but with Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke.

"I didn't create this controversy, it's Stan Kroenke's inept management which created this controversy and quite frankly Kroenke's management is driving us out of Denver. We don't want to leave Denver, they're driving us out," he said. "They wouldn't even make a deal unless there was a joint press release. You wouldn't believe the things they wanted me to say."

Kroenke Sports Enterprises (KSE) Executive Vice President Paul Andrews confirmed they were asking for a joint release, but said he thought an amicable solution had been reached in principle.

Andrews said KSE first learned of McMahon's intentions to move the events when he appeared live on 4 O'Clock at 9NEWS.

McMahon had previously asked for five tickets to the Nuggets-Lakers game on May 25 to facilitate a face-to-face meeting with Kroenke, who he had repeatedly insulted on television.

"Vince was remorseful for his outrageous statements," said Andrews.

KSE suggested in a written statement that McMahon was more interested in publicity than a solution.

"Despite the propaganda campaign launched by WWE and Chairman Vince McMahon, the KSE team maintained a professional manner throughout this process. We had hoped for, and worked hard toward an amicable resolution - which we verbally had on Tuesday," Andrews said in a written statement.

"We understand there will be many disappointed WWE fans in the Denver area. It's unfortunate and disappointing that WWE executives ultimately chose this path. The sensationalism employed by WWE in this instance is not surprising," the statement read. "The amount of publicity and coverage enjoyed by their group over the last few days has clearly become their new business goal instead of finalizing what we thought was a favorable solution and ultimately allowed their fans to attend the event."

McMahon said he would not rule out bringing WWE back to the Pepsi Center at some point, but it was clear his frustration with Kroenke hadn't subsided.

"It's really unfortunate because if he were just a regular business man and picked up the phone and said, 'Vince, you know, we're throwing you out but I want to make it right, what can we do?' I never heard from Kroenke, I don't know if anyone else has either, by the way, he's somewhat of a Howard Hughes guy I understand," he said.

"I think our company has been damaged severely from a financial standpoint and from a psychological standpoint as well. You don't treat people the way Kroenke's management treated us," he said. "I'm not a litigious kind of guy, but quite frankly when we have a contract and we have over 10,000 tickets sold and you just say: we're out, and we're not going to do anything for you, you know we're not going to make any restitution. We may pay for your additional expenses, that's it. There could very well be a lawsuit down the road."

After the conflict was publicized, various arenas offered to host the WWE Raw event including Madison Square Garden in New York City and the STAPLES Center.

The Denver Nuggets, down one game in the series, are set to take on the Lakers at the Pepsi Center on both Saturday and Monday evening.

Ticketmaster did not respond to a request for comment but did put . Those calls were not immediately returned, but Ticketmaster did put up a statement on its Web site.

"The Pepsi Center regrets to announce the WWE scheduled on Monday, May 25, 2009 has been cancelled. All phone/Internet orders will be automatically credited back the ticket price + convenience charge. Tickets purchased via Ticketmaster Ticket Centers or the Pepsi Center Box Office will need to be returned to the point of purchase to obtain a refund," said the statement on Ticketmaster.com.

McMahon said rescheduling the events in Denver would take some time to work out and all three Colorado events were cancelled because the entire crew had to go to California.

"You know we're the second largest traveling show in the world, second only to Ringling Bros.," he said.

As for coming back to the Pepsi Center, "I never say never, quite frankly I think that's ridiculous for anyone to do," McMahon said.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Why are you such a one track minded person Carol?

Your team owner had NO faith in your guys making it this far, that's why Vince is an A hole right?

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Why are you such a one track minded person Carol?

Your team owner had NO faith in your guys making it this far, that's why Vince is an A hole right?

EVERY arena schedules stuff year round, so spare me.

Taylor Swift is at the Staples Center on Friday...what if the NBA had chosen Friday for that game.

Useless argument, and I'm sick of hearing that this week.

Get a clue. Mike and Mike were making the same ridiculous argument this morning. The Staples Center KNEW they had a Championship Caliber team, what were they doing scheduling Taylor Swift on a night they might be playing?

Can you explain that one for me?

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
BTW, WCW and WWW are at Staples Center on Monday and Tuesday...

Benetto
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
EVERY arena schedules stuff year round, so spare me.

Taylor Swift is at the Staples Center on Friday...what if the NBA had chosen Friday for that game.

Useless argument, and I'm sick of hearing that this week.

Get a clue. Mike and Mike were making the same ridiculous argument this morning. The Staples Center KNEW they had a Championship Caliber team, what were they doing scheduling Taylor Swift on a night they might be playing?

Can you explain that one for me?

The staples center is not OWNED by Jerry Buss. If it were it would be left for his team to play through out. Spare me.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
BTW, WCW and WWW are at Staples Center on Monday and Tuesday...

Jerry Buss is not the owner of the staples center.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
DENVER OWNER = NO faith

get over it.

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey look, Dane Cook is scheduled for May 28. Good thing they aren't playing there on the 28th.

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Jerry Buss is not the owner of the staples center.

How did they know those dates would be available Ben? This isn't about ownership, this is about scheduling conflicts?

How did they know?

Taylor Swift would have moved her concert. Dane Cook would have moved their concert.

McMahon is a douche bag.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Its about scheduling events by your team owner or not....during the WCF.

If it were up to Jerry buss, the Clippers wouldn't step foot as a home team, niether would any performer during a crucial WCF when they are a championship calibur team.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Your arguments would be VERY solid and in my face if Jerry Buss was the staples center owner.

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Its about scheduling events by your team owner or not....during the WCF.

If it were up to Jerry buss, the Clippers wouldn't step foot as a home team, niether would any performer during a crucial WCF when they are a championship calibur team.

You're splitting hairs to hate on the Nuggets. It's ridiculous really.

Kroenke doesn't run the Center. He owns it. And he hosts events, just like the company that owns the Staples Center, which I'm forgetting the name right now. (they own the Sprint Center too)

You still haven't answered my question. How did the owners of Staples Center KNOW that a game wouldn't be played on the dates listed above?

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:07 PM
You're splitting hairs to hate on the Nuggets. It's ridiculous really.

Kroenke doesn't run the Center. He owns it. And he hosts events, just like the company that owns the Staples Center, which I'm forgetting the name right now. (they own the Sprint Center too)

You still haven't answered my question. How did the owners of Staples Center KNOW that a game wouldn't be played on the dates listed above?

Owner of the staples center could care less about the Lakers...As long as they are selling the tickets and having events instead of crickets chirping.

Obviously the Owner of the Nuggets has the authority to say no at time of scheduling in case his team might be contenders...

BroncoAV06
05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
This is great, its a never ending circle of passive agressive post from Ben!

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Owner of the staples center could care less about the Lakers...As long as they are selling the tickets and having events instead of crickets chirping.

Obviously the Owner of the Nuggets has the authority to say no at time of scheduling in case his team might be contenders...

So, it's OK if Staples Center to take a gamble on a decision about scheduling because the owner of the Lakers doesn't own it, but its not OK for the owner of the Pepsi Center to gamble on a decision about scheduling because he owns the tenant?

Noted.

Doesn't really change that ALL arenas do this.

And McMahon is well aware of this shit, he strong-armed the NHL last week.

He's a douche bag. Deal with it.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:14 PM
So, it's OK if Staples Center to take a gamble on a decision about scheduling because the owner of the Lakers doesn't own it, but its not OK for the owner of the Pepsi Center to gamble on a decision about scheduling because he owns the tenant?

Noted.

Doesn't really change that ALL arenas do this.

And McMahon is well aware of this shit, he strong-armed the NHL last week.

He's a douche bag. Deal with it.

Vince is a moronic, dictator who only cares about his money and fake sport. I won't deny he is a piece of trash....but the Owner of the Nuggets clearly could have said "Oh wait, late May is WCF time, maybe we should put some conditions on this contract".

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Vince is a moronic, dictator who only cares about his money and fake sport. I won't deny he is a piece of trash....but the Owner of the Nuggets clearly could have said "Oh wait, late May is WCF time, maybe we should put some conditions on this contract".

And for all we know, they did...

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
And for all we know, they did...

Obviously not, man...That's why he is trying to call out the owner as a bad business man.

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Obviously not, man...That's why he is trying to call out the owner as a bad business man.

What about him?

He scheduled an event at a place that has a contract with a primary tenant, who MIGHT be playing in a playoff game at the same time.

He screwed his fans by agreeing to that contract, no?

I haven't heard that side of it. He's a smart man, he's made a lot of money, maybe McMahon should have thought about it too?

Maybe this goes both ways.

Look, I'm not saying Kroenke didn't make a mistake, he did, he double-booked himself, it's happened to a lot of us, me included...but...

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
What about him?

He scheduled an event at a place that has a contract with a primary tenant, who MIGHT be playing in a playoff game at the same time.

He screwed his fans by agreeing to that contract, no?

I haven't heard that side of it. He's a smart man, he's made a lot of money, maybe McMahon should have thought about it too?

Maybe this goes both ways.

Look, I'm not saying Kroenke didn't make a mistake, he did, he double-booked himself, it's happened to a lot of us, me included...but...

Once again...Vince is a HUGE piece...He is rich and full of greed.

One question before I go swimming...

Does Vince have any kind of legitamacy in his argument? Any?

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Once again...Vince is a HUGE piece...He is rich and full of greed.

One question before I go swimming...

Does Vince have any kind of legitamacy in his argument? Any?

Yes...but legally, he's screwed. Kroenke's principal agreement with the Nuggets and the city of Denver takes precedence over McMahon.

So...he should take the payout and deal.

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes...but legally, he's screwed. Kroenke's principal agreement with the Nuggets and the city of Denver takes precedence over McMahon.

So...he should take the payout and deal.

Did they say how much it would be? What about the fans who paid for WWE tickets and could care less about the NBA?

MOtorboat
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Did they say how much it would be? What about the fans who paid for WWE tickets and could care less about the NBA?

McMahon should have thought about that before he booked the date. :D

I'm sure they were refunded...

Benetto
05-20-2009, 08:28 PM
McMahon should have thought about that before he booked the date. :D

I'm sure they were refunded...

I see...Don't get me wrong..Maybe my current despise for the Nugs made me feel the way I do about this topic....but Vince is a HUGE scumbag...Huge.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
DENVER OWNER = NO faith

get over it.

UH NO - Denver owner = does not have a crystal ball - i.e. - EXACTLY what dates would be set for the conference finals???? i.e. - if the Nuggets make the finals, would they have home court advantage??? Sorry - I have to admit - no crystal ball for the Nuggets owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nuggets-game19-2009may19,0,4522011.story

Because of the uncertainty of teams' playoff status, such double bookings aren't unprecedented. Rexall Place, home arena of the Edmonton Oilers, booked the children's show "Dora the Explorer Live, Dora's Pirate Adventure" for June 17, 2006, with the expectation that the Oilers would not advance that far in the Stanley Cup playoffs. That backfired when the Oilers became the first eighth-seeded team to reach the finals, and Game 6 was scheduled the same day as "Dora." The game was played as scheduled; "Dora" moved to another venue.

Staples Center nearly had a similar problem that year as well. It scheduled a Madonna concert June 3, believing the Lakers, Kings or Clippers would not need the building for a playoff game that night. Had the Clippers defeated Phoenix in the Western Conference semifinals, there would have been problems. The Suns won.

Simple Jaded
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
McMahon is a World Class Douchebag.......

atwater27
05-21-2009, 06:48 AM
And by the way, you think Vince McMahon is a douchebag? The guy is a marketing genuis, a wildly successful businessman and has created and maintained a multi -million dollar empire. What planet does that make one a douchebag?

Thnikkaman
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
And by the way, you think Vince McMahon is a douchebag? The guy is a marketing genuis, a wildly successful businessman and has created and maintained a multi -million dollar empire. What planet does that make one a douchebag? And more importantly, what does that make you?

Is your high horse well fed?

Timmy!
05-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Sure McMahon is a total douche, but he's also a friggin evil genius. He gets to move events to the Staple center and take a payoff! How perfect is that for him? Give all the LA fans a chance to "spite" the Nugs. He gets a bunch of media attention, more $$ in his pockets, and will come back to Colorado in August...which is pretty much BS. They had a show in Colorado Springs scheduled for Tuesday, and instead of refunding the tickets, the tickets will be honored for the event in August. The two original events in Colorado on Monday and Tuesday were going to be televised (on some of the highest rated shows on TV). The events in August won't be, which is why I'm thinking they didn't want the Pepsi Center for the return in August.

So, once again, douche. Total, douche. Total, evil, rich, genius, douche.

frauschieze
05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Taylor Swift can reschedule her concert where rescheduling a televised WWE event is damned near impossible. They are live, set for a certain day of the week at a certain time. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend. They can't move RAW to Wednesday. It's Monday Night. Period.

As for moving to the venue that only had 10,000 seats, that wouldn't make any business sense. There were already 10,000 tickets sold, more would be sold in the coming days and on the day of the event. So he should move an event to a place where the business can't make the most money? That's dumb.

Cancelling the Colorado Springs and Loveland shows also make good business sense. Since ultimately, he'll lose out on the Pepsi Center and there is not another suitable venue in the area, why would you be in CO, leave and then come back the next day?

I will be interested to see what happens with this, especially if McMahon sues. Depending on the wording of his contract (especially if it is not explicitly stated that the "primary tenents" have priority), I think he has a good chance of winning. How was McMahon supposed to know about any other contracts Kroenke has entered into? Business contracts are usually decided on "good faith". It's horribly interesting in any case. Much more so that the stupid basketball game. ;)

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Taylor Swift can reschedule her concert where rescheduling a televised WWE event is damned near impossible. They are live, set for a certain day of the week at a certain time. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend. They can't move RAW to Wednesday. It's Monday Night. Period.

Well, the NBA can't reschedule their television contracts either, so that point is moot.

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
How was McMahon supposed to know about any other contracts Kroenke has entered into?

Please.

McMahon is only doing this for publicity. McMahon deals with arena owners on a daily basis, McMahon has as much fault in this as Kroenke does, but no one looks at it from that angle.

frauschieze
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, the NBA can't reschedule their television contracts either, so that point is moot.

No one was arguing that the NBA should reschedule its game. It was that the WWE should reschedule its event, just like Singer A and Children's Entertainment B. The point is far from moot.

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:20 PM
No one was arguing that the NBA should reschedule its game. It was that the WWE should reschedule its event, just like Singer A and Children's Entertainment B. The point is far from moot.

No one said reschedule, at least I didn't.

But he does have to move as the primary tenant is scheduled for a game.

Too bad. So sad.

The reason he hasn't sued is because he knows the contract language. He knows how this arena deal works, he's just making it public to get publicity for his event. That's it. Nothing else.

frauschieze
05-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Please.

McMahon is only doing this for publicity. McMahon deals with arena owners on a daily basis, McMahon has as much fault in this as Kroenke does, but no one looks at it from that angle.

It's win-win in terms of publicity for the WWE, I'm not going to argue there. But I would like for you to explain how McMahon is at fault for entering into a contract in August and signing a finalized contract in mid-April for a location for his event.

You can argue that he made it into a publicity stunt, but I can't see how he did anything wrong.

frauschieze
05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
No one said reschedule, at least I didn't.

But he does have to move as the primary tenant is scheduled for a game.

Too bad. So sad.

The reason he hasn't sued is because he knows the contract language. He knows how this arena deal works, he's just making it public to get publicity for his event. That's it. Nothing else.

Taylor Swift would have moved her concert. Dane Cook would have moved their concert.

McMahon is a douche bag.

You didn't say what?

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
It's win-win in terms of publicity for the WWE, I'm not going to argue there. But I would like for you to explain how McMahon is at fault for entering into a contract in August and signing a finalized contract in mid-April for a location for his event.

You can argue that he made it into a publicity stunt, but I can't see how he did anything wrong.

He knows the same thing Kroenke does, that there is/was a chance that the venue could be booked by a principal tenant whether it be the Denver Nuggets or the Colorado Avalanche during their playoff season.

He's not an idiot...he was waiting for one of these things to happen...

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
You didn't say what?

That he should reschedule. I'm not saying reschedule. I'm saying move. There's a difference. Taylor Swift wouldn't reschedule, she'd move to the Hollywood Bowl, and the like with Dane Cook...these things happen...

BTW, McMahon did move his traveling show.

frauschieze
05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
He knows the same thing Kroenke does, that there is/was a chance that the venue could be booked by a principal tenant whether it be the Denver Nuggets or the Colorado Avalanche during their playoff season.

He's not an idiot...he was waiting for one of these things to happen...

Doubtful. Why on earth would any business WANT to find themselves in this position? He's risking alienating fans by doing what is best for his business in this situation vs. just having an nice normal event like they do every Monday night.

I don't agree with you that this should be a too bad, so sad thing. It's bad for business all the way around. Yes, scheduling conflicts occur. But it's never the fault of the people who get double booked. When airlines overbook, they are prepared to offer pretty sweet packages to people to give up their seats. It's calculated into their profit-risk analysis in overbooking.

The same should apply here. If you really believe the WWE and McMahon should just walk away with nothing based upon a different contract with the "primary tenant", that it's too bad for them that they booked a sporting arena during what could be playoffs season, then we have nothing more to talk about.

MOtorboat
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Doubtful. Why on earth would any business WANT to find themselves in this position? He's risking alienating fans by doing what is best for his business in this situation vs. just having an nice normal event like they do every Monday night.

I don't agree with you that this should be a too bad, so sad thing. It's bad for business all the way around. Yes, scheduling conflicts occur. But it's never the fault of the people who get double booked. When airlines overbook, they are prepared to offer pretty sweet packages to people to give up their seats. It's calculated into their profit-risk analysis in overbooking.

The same should apply here. If you really believe the WWE and McMahon should just walk away with nothing based upon a different contract with the "primary tenant", that it's too bad for them that they booked a sporting arena during what could be playoffs season, then we have nothing more to talk about.

And he's going to get his pretty sweet package, and Kroenke has acknowledged that in a statement.

It's not like Kroenke isn't going to offer him a deal. You're right, it's not "too bad, so sad" necessarily, but when you cry to the media instead of being a good businessman and working out a deal, I've got little sympathy for you. The two entities are working together to work out severance for him not being able to play at the arena.

The airline reference is completely different situation, imo, btw.