PDA

View Full Version : I KNOW...I KNOW...its been talked to death...BUT.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
READ THIS.....good points,and by the way moreno is a beast ive been watching clips this morning and man that guy has NO quit in him!!!

He’s certainly no Cutler. His arm won’t team with the ball to leave welts on receivers’ stomachs. But it is strong. Strong enough to battle the winds that whip through Soldier Field on a weekly basis. He won’t scramble like a bat out of hell to pick up a 3rd and 10, but he can move. He has consistently shown the ability to listen to his internal clock and evade pressure long enough to avoid statue status.

Perhaps more important, he won’t force passes into triple coverage because of a fallible sense of hubris in his arm strength. Orton has been labeled a “safe quarterback.” While that stigma may cause cringes in the guts of those used to watching a take-no-prisoners gunslinger whip the ball across the field, it should be viewed as an upgrade.

There’s no denying the fact that Cutler was forced to pass more often than Einstein in elementary school, but the sidelines exist for a reason. There is a back to each end zone that provides more intelligent quarterbacks with a safe haven for the ball when the receivers are hidden behind defenders. Cutler ignored these areas more times than not. His 18 interceptions were second only to the aging Brett Favre’s. Orton and his 12 picks took a back seat to Cutler. His numbers had him tied with Peyton Manning and ahead of Tony Romo and Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger.

I know what everyone is thinking. Cutler may have turned it over at an accelerated rate, but he sure scored more. But take a look at the seasons both were having before Orton injured his ankle in week nine. Through eight games, Cutler had found the end zone 15 times through the air, but he’d also found an opponent on 10 occasions. Orton was looking like his team’s MVP with an efficiently productive 10-4 ratio. The Broncos were 4-4, having just dropped three straight contests. The Bears were 5-3 coming off of back-to-back victories.

And before you tell me the Bears defense was light years ahead of Denver’s, I’ll remind you that a mere 40 yards per game separated the two statistically. Is it just me, or is Orton’s facial hair looking a little less unkempt and a little more chic?

Now factor in the truth that in Chicago he played behind a line that allowed 29 sacks while Cutler roamed free behind the NFL’s best blockers and was only taken to the turf a dozen times. And the weapons around each passer? It’s not even close. Kleenex Jay was gifted with Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler. Gillette Orton had . . . Devin Hester. When you get right down to it, bringing in a guy who enjoyed even a deli slice of success with perhaps the worst receiving corps in the country is a good move when you consider the skill-spike in playmakers he’ll now get to utilize. Orton will only get better with upgraded talent fighting beside him. Yes, he will miss Matt Forte in the backfield, but the Broncos just plucked Knowshon Moreno with the 12th pick. There wasn’t a more talented runner in the draft who catches the ball as well as the newest face of the Denver ground game.

i,m not sure there is a team out there who will beat us this year !ok maybe a couple:salute:

Lonestar
05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
READ THIS.....good points,and by the way moreno is a beast ive been watching clips this morning and man that guy has NO quit in him!!!

He’s certainly no Cutler. His arm won’t team with the ball to leave welts on receivers’ stomachs. But it is strong. Strong enough to battle the winds that whip through Soldier Field on a weekly basis. He won’t scramble like a bat out of hell to pick up a 3rd and 10, but he can move. He has consistently shown the ability to listen to his internal clock and evade pressure long enough to avoid statue status.

Perhaps more important, he won’t force passes into triple coverage because of a fallible sense of hubris in his arm strength. Orton has been labeled a “safe quarterback.” While that stigma may cause cringes in the guts of those used to watching a take-no-prisoners gunslinger whip the ball across the field, it should be viewed as an upgrade.

There’s no denying the fact that Cutler was forced to pass more often than Einstein in elementary school, but the sidelines exist for a reason. There is a back to each end zone that provides more intelligent quarterbacks with a safe haven for the ball when the receivers are hidden behind defenders. Cutler ignored these areas more times than not. His 18 interceptions were second only to the aging Brett Favre’s. Orton and his 12 picks took a back seat to Cutler. His numbers had him tied with Peyton Manning and ahead of Tony Romo and Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger.

I know what everyone is thinking. Cutler may have turned it over at an accelerated rate, but he sure scored more. But take a look at the seasons both were having before Orton injured his ankle in week nine. Through eight games, Cutler had found the end zone 15 times through the air, but he’d also found an opponent on 10 occasions. Orton was looking like his team’s MVP with an efficiently productive 10-4 ratio. The Broncos were 4-4, having just dropped three straight contests. The Bears were 5-3 coming off of back-to-back victories.

And before you tell me the Bears defense was light years ahead of Denver’s, I’ll remind you that a mere 40 yards per game separated the two statistically. Is it just me, or is Orton’s facial hair looking a little less unkempt and a little more chic?

Now factor in the truth that in Chicago he played behind a line that allowed 29 sacks while Cutler roamed free behind the NFL’s best blockers and was only taken to the turf a dozen times. And the weapons around each passer? It’s not even close. Kleenex Jay was gifted with Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler. Gillette Orton had . . . Devin Hester. When you get right down to it, bringing in a guy who enjoyed even a deli slice of success with perhaps the worst receiving corps in the country is a good move when you consider the skill-spike in playmakers he’ll now get to utilize. Orton will only get better with upgraded talent fighting beside him. Yes, he will miss Matt Forte in the backfield, but the Broncos just plucked Knowshon Moreno with the 12th pick. There wasn’t a more talented runner in the draft who catches the ball as well as the newest face of the Denver ground game.

i,m not sure there is a team out there who will beat us this year !ok maybe a couple:salute:

good post that many will not like to hear/see..

I agree with almost everything you said except who will beat us..

I think we will lose alot of games.. Not because of lack of offense.. but a brutal schedule as well as a lack of cohesiveness on the whole team.. and perhaps a lack of quality talent in the front 7 on Defense

Considering we are changing the entire scheme for everyone there will be some fupaws just because..

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
good post that many will not like to hear/see..

I agree with almost everything you said except who will beat us..

I think we will lose alot of games.. Not because of lack of offense.. but a brutal schedule as well as a lack of cohesiveness on the whole team.. and perhaps a lack of quality talent in the front 7 on Defense

Considering we are changing the entire scheme for everyone there will be some fupaws just because..

i was kinda being sarcastic when i said that,buy hey nobody really knows "thats why they play the game"
we could be next years miami and surprise the whole league....or not

p.s. i didnt do the write up on orton its from an article i found and forgot to put the " and author

Lonestar
05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
i was kinda being sarcastic when i said that,buy hey nobody really knows "thats why they play the game"
we could be next years miami and surprise the whole league....or not

p.s. i didnt do the write up on orton its from an article i found and forgot to put the " and author

probably need to post a link if you can find it..

DenBronx
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm more excited to see Moreno play than anyone. I never thought we would go after a 1st round RB but Moreno clearly was the best back in this years draft and I'm glad we got him. This guy has all the makings of a top 5 back.

Orton does have a good arm. Granted he's no Cutler but I think we will be suprised with Orton. He makes good decisions and was limited in Chicago with his abilities and lack of WR's. Now Orton has a chance to prove he can do more than 3 yard dump offs to RB's and TE's. He also is going to a spread offense which will help him alot!

I'm just ready for some football already...

DenBronx
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm also excited to see Brian Dawkins play. Hopefully his intensity catches on with the rest of the guys.

underrated29
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
yes sir!

I originally thought we would go 5-11.

After the draft i think we start 6-1. Of course we only finish at 9-7, but still thats good considering our schedule and all.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 03:11 PM
yes sir!

I originally thought we would go 5-11.

After the draft i think we start 6-1. Of course we only finish at 9-7, but still thats good considering our schedule and all.

9-7 should win the division !;)
just curious who the 1 is in your 6-1 ?

underrated29
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
9-7 should win the division !;)
just curious who the 1 is in your 6-1 ?

Umm. let me go look at the schedule again. I remembered what i thought, but forgot who the 1 is. hold on- i shall return.

****ok back. I think we lose to the ravens. Yes- we take out sd in sd, and the pats and cowboys. I really think our offense is going to be insanely good at scoring. But teams with SOLID defenses like the birds and power backs like rice, mcclain- which the ravens have will stop us cold. Then we lose almost the rest of our games but 3.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 03:34 PM
well i just cant imagine us starting 6-1 ,beating teams like the pats da boys and even the chargirls (although they usually suck for that stretch of the season anyway) only to completely fold up after that...i mean our d should be getting better at that point not worse.
so though i dont think we,ll come out of the gate as hot as you seem to,i also dont think if we do, that we will choke like last year.
i have a funny feeling about 10-6 and the division.

Lonestar
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
pass the pipe folks :laugh::laugh::laugh:

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
pass the pipe folks :laugh::laugh::laugh:

just try and take it....:boink:

SOCALORADO.
05-18-2009, 04:11 PM
4-2. to start the season. I think the 1st game of the season agaisnt CIN is gonna be a wake up call, and a barn burner.
But it gets the offense off to a big start, and Orton utilizes the MCD system to prevail.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Quarterback

Cutler is gone, and many close to the team along with the fan base feel that Kyle Orton will replace him. Say what you will about Orton, but he was a big winner from the Cutler trade. Orton inherits an offense that features a stellar group of skill players, and an offensive line that could rival any in the National Football League.

The arrival of Orton instantly makes the Denver Broncos more red-zone friendly, and should improve the league's 16th ranked scoring offense from 2008. Last season, the Broncos ranked second in the NFL in yards per game, but their minus-17 turnover ratio paralyzed their ability to put teams away.

With Orton at the helm, I fully expect the Broncos to be a more efficient offense that takes advantage of every opportunity, rather than trying to create opportunities of their own. If he can minimize turnovers and put the ball in the end zone, Denver's offense will flourish.

elsid13
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Quarterback

Cutler is gone, and many close to the team along with the fan base feel that Kyle Orton will replace him. Say what you will about Orton, but he was a big winner from the Cutler trade. Orton inherits an offense that features a stellar group of skill players, and an offensive line that could rival any in the National Football League.

The arrival of Orton instantly makes the Denver Broncos more red-zone friendly, and should improve the league's 16th ranked scoring offense from 2008. Last season, the Broncos ranked second in the NFL in yards per game, but their minus-17 turnover ratio paralyzed their ability to put teams away.

With Orton at the helm, I fully expect the Broncos to be a more efficient offense that takes advantage of every opportunity, rather than trying to create opportunities of their own. If he can minimize turnovers and put the ball in the end zone, Denver's offense will flourish.

How does an immobile QB with so-so accuracy makes us a better scoring team in red zone? If you had said a recommitment to the running game that one thing, but to state Orton improve the scoring is pure hope and BS.

rcsodak
05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
How does an immobile QB with so-so accuracy makes us a better scoring team in red zone? If you had said a recommitment to the running game that one thing, but to state Orton improve the scoring is pure hope and BS.

I don't think cannon-arm'd qb's are good in the red-zone.

Opp. red-zone

2008 - 46% Comp 3.2yd avg 74.1 QB Rating -

They have to have touch and smarts.

Cut-n-run'er had neither.

elsid13
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think cannon-arm'd qb's are good in the red-zone.

Opp. red-zone

2008 - 46% Comp 3.2yd avg 74.1 QB Rating -

They have to have touch and smarts.

Cut-n-run'er had neither.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=550107

"Former Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart doesn't need the tutorial on Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. Stewart saw it up close, coaching in joint training camp practices and preseason games against the Broncos the last two years.

"I saw that he's a very competitive person who had a deep understanding of what they do," Stewart said. "He could go to receivers and say, 'Do this, do that,' and he was gonna get after them. The receivers understood that. And in that system, he came across as a smart, athletic, big armed guy"

Spin it how you want, but Cutler is talent young QB that will be better as he mature in the game. Right now we have Orton, and my question remain how does he makes us a better offense team in the red zone????

rcsodak
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

"Former Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart doesn't need the tutorial on Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. Stewart saw it up close, coaching in joint training camp practices and preseason games against the Broncos the last two years.

"I saw that he's a very competitive person who had a deep understanding of what they do," Stewart said. "He could go to receivers and say, 'Do this, do that,' and he was gonna get after them. The receivers understood that. And in that system, he came across as a smart, athletic, big armed guy"

Spin it how you want, but Cutler is talent young QB that will be better as he mature in the game. Right now we have Orton, and my question remain how does he makes us a better offense team in the red zone????

That the same Brian Stewart that's jobless? :confused:

Opp red-zone

2008:
52.5% Comp 4.2avg 96.0 QB Rating *with shit for wr corp, no less*

Wish I could find stats on pick-6's & int's in the red-zone. :coffee:

gobroncsnv
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Not sure if Orton's a red-zone upgrade... maybe so... but pretty darn sure that Moreno will be.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 08:42 PM

i was'nt trying to say that orton is a better qb than "the player"
this is part of a report on bleacher report
it is VERY possible that we will improve in the red zone,no matter how much you love cutler you cant change the fact that we were 16th in scoring with a qb that threw for 4500 yds...thats NOT good. and it could be argued that his gunslinger mentality cost us almost as many games as it won.
and remember orton haters also have to admit he wins more games than he loses ,the same cannot be said about "the player"

and last but not least ,why is it that everyone talks about how much potential jay has to get better as he matures and gains experience,but they have already decided that orton has peaked and is average at best.they have basically played the same # of games and are the same age!
it is the opinion of many that even though orton is not as physically gifted as cutler,he may just be a better fit for mcDs system,you know the system that produced on of the highest scoring seasons in league history?

Nickademus
05-19-2009, 12:03 PM
alot of my friends have been making all kinds of fun of the Broncos because of the Cutler trade. I love Jay he is my freaking keeper league fantasy QB, I love Jays arm, the problem was so did he. When we first hired McD I was stoked to see what J would do in his system. But the more I look at it the more I think J would have had to change his stripes to make it work. Any offence that stresses good decision making over low percentage "amazing" throws isnt something Cutler seems to be interested in. Before Bates starting opening up the O Cutler complained that we were not taking advantage of his strengths. Cutler seemed pretty pleased with his 8-8 season and a pro-bowl appearance. That wont get it done for most of us, Hell Rivers had a better season and should have gone over Cutler (and I freaking hate Rivers). The bottom line is this Orton may not thread the needle like Jay did but I bet he doesnt throw half the Ints Jay had and we win more games. It may not be sexy but if it ends with a W then who cares?

underrated29
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Its not Jay its not Orton. Its Moreno! Like some said above.

I dont think very many fully realize what this kid is going to do for us. And how much he will single handedly improve our team... I have tried so many ways (not saying you guys dont understand just what he will do for us) to get people to understand but think about it this way.

Who were the vikings 4 years ago before peterson? Who were the chargers before LT, The jags before MJD, the falcons before turner?

Shanny could take 6th rd RBs and make them into diamonds. Mcd can not.
Mcd. can take 6th rd Qbs and make them into diamonds. Shanny could not.

So what does Mcd do, he gets his ELITE talent at RB to pair with his new toy at QB.- He knows just how much Moreno is gong to help orton. Otherwise he wouldnt have drafted him.

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
alot of my friends have been making all kinds of fun of the Broncos because of the Cutler trade.

I love Jay he is my freaking keeper league fantasy QB, I love Jays arm, the problem was so did he.

When we first hired McD I was stoked to see what J would do in his system. But the more I look at it the more I think J would have had to change his stripes to make it work.

Any offence that stresses good decision making over low percentage "amazing" throws isnt something Cutler seems to be interested in.

Before Bates starting opening up the O Cutler complained that we were not taking advantage of his strengths.

Cutler seemed pretty pleased with his 8-8 season and a pro-bowl appearance. That wont get it done for most of us, Hell Rivers had a better season and should have gone over Cutler (and I freaking hate Rivers). The bottom line is this Orton may not thread the needle like Jay did but I bet he doesnt throw half the Ints Jay had and we win more games. It may not be sexy but if it ends with a W then who cares?

These are very astute observations IMO..

I also thought that once bates bailed out that that was the straw that broke the camel back..

I think jay accepted that mike had to go after the initial shock wore off, he got to see the playbook and thought about his visit to HNL and rubbing elbows with Manning and came to the conclusion that with Brady back this year the odds of him repeating, were slim considering the above mentioned items..

that coupled with the upcoming small salary, his dislike of all the changes EXIT STAGE RIGHT..

T.K.O.
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Not sure if Orton's a red-zone upgrade... maybe so... but pretty darn sure that Moreno will be.

i think both will be an upgrade (in red zone efficiency)
check this out sorry its so long,but i thought it makes alot of sense:

It may be far easier for Denver to recover from losing Jay Cutler than many claim.

First off, the folks who are stating "this will wreck the franchise!" need to get a grip on reality. Yes, Cutler was a franchise QB, but the truth is that franchise QBs are rare, which means that most teams don't have them. Yet many of them manage to do fine, including win Super Bowls (as did teams with Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Jim McMahon, Joe Theismann, etc.)

Meanwhile, having a franchise QB is no guarantee of winning a Super Bowl, as Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, and some other guys on this "best QBs never to win a Super Bowl" list have proven.

So if Denver is terrible for the next 10 years, it isn't because they alienated Jay Cutler, especially when it is obvious that Cutler—who wanted to play for Chicago or Nashville to begin with and only liked being in Denver as long as he was playing for Mike Shanahan—was so easy to alienate. Instead, it will be because Denver failed to replace Cutler with a capable, effective QB.

And while franchise QBs are rare, capable effective QBs are not. It really is not that difficult to acquire in the draft, with a trade, or through free agency a guy that can win a lot of games if he is properly coached and surrounded with good talent.

Josh McDaniels, who had a lot of success with guys drafted in the sixth (Tom Brady) and seventh (Matt Cassel) rounds, knows this.

The reason why McDaniels was willing to trade Cutler for Cassel was because Cassel is a better fit for his offense than Cutler is, and McDaniels would play a lesser QB that fits his system than change his system to accommodate a better QB. Look, McDaniels won 11 games with Cassel last year. So McDaniels knows that he doesn't need another Cutler to win games. All he needs is another Cassel, and Matt Cassel's aren't that hard to find.

They may be hard to coach and surround with talent, mind you, but they aren't hard to find, and if you can't coach up your QBs and build great teams around them, you aren't going to win anything anyway. Take, well, Denver for instance. Shanahan was unable to get Cutler to reduce his turnovers and never gave Cutler a defense or a running game. Result: 17-20 record.

If Denver's next QB has a defense, a running game, and doesn't turn the ball over 20 times like Cutler did last season, he won't need to throw for 4,500 yards to get Denver into the playoffs. See Joe Flacco: only 2,950 yards, yet his team won two road playoff games and went to the AFC title game.

So that's why Denver should resist the knuckleheads that are now claiming that they should use their two No. 1 picks to trade up to get Mark Sanchez. (Similar to his SEC brethren Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell, Matt Stafford is a vertical game QB who doesn't fit McDaniel's offense.) That would be, in a word, idiotic, amounting to little more than trading a 25-year-old Pro Bowl QB for a guy who had one above average season in college.

Sure, Denver would still have next year's No. 1 pick, but come on: they have no idea where Chicago is going to draft next season, and they also have no clue what next year's draft is going to look like. All they know is that this year's draft is very strong in players that Denver badly needs (DT, LB and RB) and they have No. 12 and No. 18 in it.

They have to use those two picks to get better, and getting Sanchez doesn't make them better. Even if Sanchez is as good as Cutler is, the bottom line is that Denver is no better off.

So, the way that Denver gets better is to use their No. 1 picks in this year's draft to find starters at positions other than QB. That is the first step to making sure that they are a franchise capable of winning games when they do get a good QB: a franchise like the New York Giants, New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, and Pittsburgh Steelers.

(Notice that I left out the Indianapolis Colts, who would be absolutely awful with anything less than a future Hall of Famer at QB. The Colts are precisely what Denver does not want to be, and are no better than what Mike Shanahan would have built around Cutler.)

Now, the No. 12 pick in the draft has to go to a DL, preferably a DT but a DE is acceptable, that can be an impact player in their 3-4 defense. So then, what of the No. 18 pick? The safe, logical thing would be to draft a LB, a DB or another DL. Fine, but playing it safe would have also been kissing Cutler's feet (only to have Cutler reject the entreaties and ultimately be traded anyway).

no, Denver needs to go ahead and pull the trigger on what it hasn't had since Terrell Davis: a franchise tailback. Get a tailback that can rush for 1,500 yards to go with those great WRs and that very good offensive line, and Denver will have the best offense in the NFL waiting on whatever capable QB they acquire.

With that talent around him and with McDaniels calling the plays, this QB won't even need to be a franchise QB to put up franchise QB numbers. He would only have to be another Matt Cassel. And as stated earlier, it is not hard to find or mold a Matt Cassel.

The RB best suited for Denver is Knowshon Moreno. Other backs are bigger and faster, but Moreno is the only one that has played against top competition in a pro style offense, and would be able to do the blocking and receiving that the NFL game requires as a rookie.

Of course, if Moreno is gone by No. 18, Denver could go in another direction, including but not limited to trading down for still more picks, but they need to use one of them on a superior tailback prospect like Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy, or Div. I FCS sleeper Rashad Jennings.

As a matter of fact, if they improve the defense and get a top flight rusher, perhaps Kyle Orton will be good enough to get this team to the playoffs. And wouldn't that be the greatest of ironies!

So, Denver, get Knowshon Moreno or the next best RB option available, and let him run you away from the Cutler era. Best of all, the tailback that you draft will actually want to be in Denver whereas Cutler clearly never did.

i think we're gonna be scarier than people think.....better make room that 3rd lombardi in the ol' trophy case !!!!!:elefant:

T.K.O.
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
jrwiz....i can wait a couple years....but thats it !

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
jrwiz....i can wait a couple years....but thats it !

I think 2010 will be playoff team IF a couple of these kids come along on the DL and LB crew.. the secondary will also being learning but we at least have a few real players there to tide us over till the rookies learn there stuff.

It looks like we have drafted as a secondary thought for ST always looking for that player that can excel there while learning the D..

I would be surprised if we did not go deep in the playoffs in 2011 and beyond..

Slick
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Since some of us are talking about what we are excited about for next year, I'd like to add that I'm excited to find out if we're going to be the same finesse team, or are we going to beat or at least try to beat people up. I want the smashmouth cafe open for business 24/7.

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Since some of us are talking about what we are excited about for next year, I'd like to add that I'm excited to find out if we're going to be the same finesse team, or are we going to beat or at least try to beat people up. I want the smashmouth cafe open for business 24/7.

We are not big enough to play smash mouth with eh biggie teams.. But we are on the way to getting there .

I have always believed that you win or lose at the LOS..

Josh wanted bigger faster, stronger guys and that is what he is going to do.. via the draft and having the veterans beef it up a bit..

I would not be surprised for us to be 10-15 pound heavier per man on the LOS on both sides of the LOS.. by next year..

gobroncsnv
05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Would be surprised if he sees fit to do much about the oline, other than replace Casey. We're about to find out if our low sack totals are due to Cutler's internal clock, or just flat out great protection. I'm pretty sure it's going to look like just great protection. Jay did contribute, no doubt. Also pretty sure he's gonna wish he hung around to have played with a good RB... he never really has, yet.

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Would be surprised if he sees fit to do much about the oline, other than replace Casey. We're about to find out if our low sack totals are due to Cutler's internal clock, or just flat out great protection. I'm pretty sure it's going to look like just great protection. Jay did contribute, no doubt. Also pretty sure he's gonna wish he hung around to have played with a good RB... he never really has, yet.

I think they are gonna beef them up a bit this year, ask them to put on 5-10 pounds as they will not be ZBS as much as in years past.. they will be asked to go out ans smash some folks down field more..

I see this OLINE intact except for perhaps Hamilton this year and maybe a replacement for Casey the year after..

Simple Jaded
05-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Ya'll like to pretend that Kyle Orton has cornered the market on making the right decisions.......his career Int% is the exact same as Cutler's. Troy Aikman had the same career Int%.......it's just a weak argument, plain and simple.......

Hawgdriver
05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Right now we have Orton, and my question remain how does he makes us a better offense team in the red zone????

It doesn't, it's clearly a step backward. But when you factor in that Orton is playing in a different offense (hopefully one he can compete well in) that is more effective in the red-zone (this is speculation) with a bolstered short-yardage game (the addition of Moreno and Quinn), he might be in a more productive red-zone offense. A lot of unknowns at this point, but it's not just replacing Culter with Orton and drawing conclusions from that...

T.K.O.
05-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Ya'll like to pretend that Kyle Orton has cornered the market on making the right decisions.......his career Int% is the exact same as Cutler's. Troy Aikman had the same career Int%.......it's just a weak argument, plain and simple.......

so your saying that cutler,who is a "franchise qb" troy aikman multiple sb winning qb and kyle orton are all smart qb's?
ok ill agree with that:beer:

Simple Jaded
05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
so your saying that cutler,who is a "franchise qb" troy aikman multiple sb winning qb and kyle orton are all smart qb's?
ok ill agree with that:beer:

There are very few QB's that make it to the Pro Level without being intelligent, but all QB's make the same mistakes, that's my point.......

T.K.O.
05-19-2009, 07:48 PM
There are very few QB's that make it to the Pro Level without being intelligent, but all QB's make the same mistakes, that's my point.......

my point as well,there are very few qb's that make it to the nfl that suck,yet many people seem to think (unfairly) that orton is a total scrub that cant shine cutlers shoes. when he has a better record as a starter than cutler and was viewed as a top prospect when he came into the league.

Slick
05-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Confucius says...football is a team game.

elsid13
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Confucius says...football is a team game.

Confucius also says --- talented football player make coach look smarter then he is.

T.K.O.
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Confucius also says --- talented football player make coach look smarter then he is.

that explains how elway and T.D. made shanny look so good and weve been mediocre since.....maybe mcD can fix that !:salute:

broncohead
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
my point as well,there are very few qb's that make it to the nfl that suck,yet many people seem to think (unfairly) that orton is a total scrub that cant shine cutlers shoes. when he has a better record as a starter than cutler and was viewed as a top prospect when he came into the league.

Then Rex would have been a great pickup too...

broncfn90
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM

I agree its been talked to death, but when I was with my friends last night back from college it was brought up. When I was asked I said, "This is going to be the biggest mistake this team has ever made EVER!" and I stand by it, I really do. You dont give up a player like Cutler, ya I know he did not deserver to go to the pro bowl, ya I know he was somewhat a baby when he wanted to be traded when Bates left and when he did not return calls or text, ya I know for 2 and a half years he has been shaky but I had all the faith in the world he would get better and be one of the best. The funny thing is before everybody turn there back on him he loved it here.

McD had me fired up when we got Dawkins, but that fire has never came back and yes I know its only May. I will never fully understand why McD wanted Cassell over Jay, thats were he lost me and not to mention the shaky draft we had this year. Its sort of sading has a big bronco fan that I am and I will always stand by my team, I could not be less excited for the broncos this year, and again yes I know its may. I will start to worry when it’s July and I am not pumped. For the people that say "get over it!" this conversation is going to be around for a while so "get use to it".

I will post a thread when/if Cutler is ripping it up in Chicago, and the title will be “so we traded this guy? Smart move”

Dr Velcro
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
http://3alleypub.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg?w=364&h=242

Nickademus
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree its been talked to death, but when I was with my friends last night back from college it was brought up. When I was asked I said, "This is going to be the biggest mistake this team has ever made EVER!" and I stand by it, I really do. You dont give up a player like Cutler, ya I know he did not deserver to go to the pro bowl, ya I know he was somewhat a baby when he wanted to be traded when Bates left and when he did not return calls or text, ya I know for 2 and a half years he has been shaky but I had all the faith in the world he would get better and be one of the best. The funny thing is before everybody turn there back on him he loved it here.
McD had me fired up when we got Dawkins, but that fire has never came back and yes I know its only May. I will never fully understand why McD wanted Cassell over Jay, thats were he lost me and not to mention the shaky draft we had this year. Its sort of sading has a big bronco fan that I am and I will always stand by my team, I could not be less excited for the broncos this year, and again yes I know its may. I will start to worry when it’s July and I am not pumped. For the people that say "get over it!" this conversation is going to be around for a while so "get use to it".

I will post a thread when/if Cutler is ripping it up in Chicago, and the title will be “so we traded this guy? Smart move”

No one made Jay ignore the owner who signs his million dollar checks. If he thinks for a second that he is above being traded in chicago he will have the exact same problems. McD wanted a guy whos ego was in check who knew his system and who he felt could get the O up to speed faster. I get it. I dont like that this ended with cutler going all vag on us and then us trading him but I really dont think he would have flourished in this new system anyway. I dont really like the draft trades but I understand them. Have you looked at Champs contract for next year? We needed a CB and the guy we took with next years first is a better player than any CB that will come out next year. If champ is gone after this season than this would have been our pick so I can live with it. I would have rather waited untill next year after FA but hey it doesnt mean that this move was a bad one especially when you consider the price of a 2nd round pick vs a high first and a FA. Now when it comes to Quinn I know for a fact that he would not have been available to us in the 3rd. Had he been on the board the Jets would have traded up into that first pick and taken him instead of Shon Green. They were shocked when we moved up for the last pick in the second and took him. This kid has good hands he was under utlized in college but he can catch but I dont really care about that what he will do for us is make sure we are no longer a team that is great between the 20's.
I wish we would have taken more help in the front 7 than we did but Ayers will be good if they are planning on using him on the line he needs to bulk up but my guess is he is our new starting SOLB. I had Tyson Jackson as my #1 Dlineman for the 3-4 but there was no way in hell he was worth the third overall pick in the draft. Moreno is going to make a whole lot of people really happy around here couppled with our line and recievers any NFL QB is going to have a pretty good season throwing the ball in this situation. I like Orton, liked him in college and I felt like he got jobbed in Chi after his rookie year. Dont get me wrong I still wish J would have sucked it up and attempted to fit into this new scheme but he has a little to much farve in him for that. In the end I can live with everything that happened. It wasnt pretty but we are going to suprise alot of teams next year the upgraded D alone should get us to 8-8. and anyone who thinks our D will be just as bad as last year is nuts you dont add a guy like Dawk and get worse not to mention what I feel like will be a much better LB core to a possible improvement just based on coaching for our D-line there is no way we are as bad as we were last season.

Foochacho
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
That horse should be beat, it doesn't have enough flare.

NightTrainLayne
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
That horse should be beat, it doesn't have enough flare.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta!

LRtagger
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM

I can hardly wait.

broncfn90
05-21-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5839

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – There’s no truth to the rumor that Earl Bennett volunteered to pick up Jay Cutler at the airport after the Pro Bowl quarterback was acquired by the Bears. But there’s little doubt that the second-year receiver, who teamed with Cutler at Vanderbilt, would have made the trip if asked.

“It’s great playing with somebody I’m familiar with; a great leader in the huddle and off the field,” Bennett said. “Just his presence here has been great so far. I think he’s going to do wonders for this team.”

Bennett isn’t the only one who feels that way. All of the Bears receivers who caught laser beams from Cutler in OTA practices Wednesday and Thursday are thrilled to have the 26-year-old as a teammate.

“He’s just a very calm veteran quarterback and that is what you like,” said wide receiver Devin Hester. “It’s a quarterback who doesn’t really put too much pressure on himself, but you look at him and can tell he’s been doing this for a long time. That’s what brings a lot of excitement and a lot of big plays to the offense.”

“I think we have the ability to be a good offense,” said tight end Greg Olsen, who has clicked with Cutler on and off the field. “We’ve added a lot of pieces to the puzzle. Obviously, it is really early now. We just have to keep putting work in. We’ve got a long ways ahead of us. Guys are excited with what we can do.”

Cutler looked sharp again Thursday, connecting with Bennett on a quick slant, Hester across the middle and running back Matt Forte in the right flat during team drills against the Bears defense.

“I feel like we’re starting to click,” Hester said. “He’s in a situation where he’s in a new offense with new receivers, so we’re polishing it up and getting used to the timing of it and the speed. Once we get that down, we’ll be good.”

Bears veterans have been impressed with Cutler’s attitude. He’s shown leadership skills but has acted as “one of the guys” who doesn’t think he’s more important than any other player.

“He’s a tremendous teammate, a good person and a good leader out on the field,” said receiver Rashied Davis. “He’s not a yeller-screamer, but he’s vocal. He’ll come and he’ll talk to you. He talks in the huddle. He’s just not a yeller. He doesn’t come to the sideline screaming and hollering.”

His name is Earl: Cutler kept close tabs on Bennett from a distance last season when the third-round draft pick struggled to get on the field as a Bears rookie.

“I’ve heard Earl had kind of a rough go at it last year, which is fine,” Cutler said. “He came out early. He was young. It was his rookie year. You’re in a big city. Earl’s from Alabama. So it’s a tough transition.

“When I first got to Denver, I didn’t know the playbook either. I was just kind of throwing it around and they kind of took a chance on me. It takes time and I think Earl’s starting to come into his own a little bit and get more comfortable, and with me coming here I think it’s going to make him more comfortable and we’re going to get to see a little bit of what kind of player he is.”

Bennett skipped his senior year at Vanderbilt to enter the NFL Draft after catching 236 passes in three seasons, the most in SEC history. Working with Cutler as a freshman, Bennett was named first-team all-SEC after amassing 79 receptions for 876 yards and 9 touchdowns in 2005.

Catch this: Cutler has been impressed with Forte’s ability as a receiver. Last year the second-round pick broke Bears records for receptions by a rookie and by a running back, catching 63 passes for 477 yards and 4 TDs.

“He’s a smart player,” Cutler said. “You learn that right away. You can put him in different positions and he’s going to react positively. I’m excited about him. I think we’re going to be able to move him around a lot.”

In the hood: Free-agent cornerback Roderick Hood visited the Bears Thursday, but he left Halas Hall without signing a contract. The 5-11, 198-pounder has played six NFL seasons with the Eagles (2003-06) and Cardinals (2007-08), registering 218 tackles and 11 interceptions in 87 games.

Hood, who watched Thursday’s practice from the sideline, was released by the Cardinals April 28. The Lions, Rams and Bengals reportedly are also interested in the 27-year-old.

I thought he was a cry-baby bitch like some of you said

Lonestar
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM
wait till it is game time and someone drops a critical third and 7 pass..

or they run the wrong route or better yet he over throws someone or even better yet when he throws into triple coverage and it gets picked because he was lazer sighted on the receiver from the LOS..

I heard they already have his spot on the bench marked off so he can pout in private..:D

Some folks may think differently then..