PDA

View Full Version : NFL rivalries

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Ravens-Steelers moves to top of NFL rivalries
By Vinnie Iyer - SportingNews
3 hours, 56 minutes ago

Buzz up!9 votes PrintWhat makes a great NFL rivalry? Familiarity, intensity, passion and good old-fashioned hatred are all key elements. The payoff, however, comes in the two teams involved combining to play consistently great football.

Tradition plays a big part, but over the years new rivalries evolve while old ones dissolve. Classics such as Bears-Packers and Cowboys-Redskins now have a different feel. Others, such as Chiefs-Raiders, 49ers-Rams and Bengals-Browns, recently have lacked luster because neither team has performed at a high level.

Here, then, are the top 10 NFL rivalries going into the 2009 season, based on competitiveness and compelling storylines:

1. Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
In retirement, John Madden didn't leave us with enough onomatopoeia to describe all the hard-hitting, head-snapping, clock-cleaning and slobber-knocking that happens when Baltimore and Pittsburgh trade blows. The NFL's most visceral rivalry isn't for the faint of heart, stomach, mind or body. This is physical football at its best.

The defenses fly around smacking everything, but the offenses also have enough tough personalities to stand up and fight for every extra yard. Two players who come to mind immediately are Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.

The teams clearly are the class of the AFC North, and playing each other three times a season might become a habit.

2. Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
This has become the NFL's most anticipated matchup. The window for both teams to win another Super Bowl with their current core groups is closing—maybe more so for Indianapolis—which should add desperation to the usual intensity of this game.

It also helps that Tom Brady will be back to duel with Peyton Manning, and the '09 game will be in the controlled environment of Lucas Oil Stadium. The best games in the series tend to be played at Indy. This year's big twist is Jim Caldwell taking over as coach Bill Belichick's counterpart.

Don't plan anything for Nov. 15, because this year's prime-time game follows Packers-Cowboys.

3. NFC East vs. NFC East
Again, just naming Dallas-Washington from this division would be unfair. All six round-robin rivalries involving the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants and Redskins have been awesome of late as the NFC East features the league's most competitive quartet.

It's not just the unpredictable games that seem to turn on one or two plays, it's also four high-profile ownerships that wage their war with aggressive signings, drafts and trades. These owners have deep pockets and are passionate about winning. Each franchise also has huge fan bases and high-profile players and coaches.

It all makes for compelling competition, good enough to get the best time-slot treatment from Fox and NBC.

4. New York Jets vs. New England Patriots
This will be considerably different without the potential for Belichick sharing a cold handshake with Eric Mangini, but it's still good as the NFL's milder version of Yankees-Red Sox.

New England has been New York's nemesis the whole decade. The last time the Jets had a legitimate Super Bowl contender was '98; the Patriots have pretty much been Super Bowl-caliber since '01.

Under new coach Rex Ryan, the Jets are trying to build their defense in a Mangini-style, versatile 3-4 form, and several players have lined up for both teams over the years. Even though the Jets hate losing to the Patriots, their best strategy has been to copy New England's winning blueprint.

5. Denver Broncos vs. San Diego Chargers
We're going with Denver-San Diego as the AFC West's rivalry representative, because the Raiders have been so bad in recent years. The Broncos and Chargers have produced meetings filled with comebacks and controversy. It's too bad, though, that Mike Shanahan is gone from the Broncos' sideline, and that Philip Rivers no longer can bark at Jay Cutler.

The Broncos have been able to slow down LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates. And don't forget the convenient contrast in climates. To quote Frank Cushman in Jerry Maguire: "Hell, I'd either surf or ski—I don't care."

6. Green Bay Packers vs. NFC North
The Bears remain as hated as ever, and Cutler only adds to the hatred. The Vikings are stirring the pot again with the Brett Favre talk. And the Lions keep inviting Green Bay to their Thanksgiving bash, hoping for a happier feast. You think Chicago first as the Packers' archrival, but really, it has expanded to everyone in the division.

There's something about the humble hamlet and its storied football history in a fight against three Midwest metropolises. Of course, most of Wisconsin loves the Pack, and it helps that the state is nestled around Illinois and Minnesota and just an extended right arm away from Michigan.

7. New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins
Even before Bill Parcells took over, Miami caused the class of the NFL problems. For some reason, the Dolphins' defense could get the better of Tom Brady. Then Parcells and coach Tony Sparano rekindled the flames last season with the "Wildcat" fires. It will be interesting to see how fun this one gets with Brady's return and the Dolphins' addition of Pat White.

8. Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans
This one also had a good comeback last season. After a few down years for Tennessee, it appeared as though Jacksonville had taken its place as Indianapolis' chief AFC South rival. Then Jeff Fisher's team snatched the division crown away. Really, this rivalry started when the division was formed seven years ago, with the Volunteers' favorite son Peyton Manning taking on a team from Nashville. It then hit an early peak when Manning and Steve McNair were named league co-MVPs in 2003. Expect a great series in '09.

9. Atlanta Falcons vs. Carolina Panthers
Although it had a little more oomph when Julius Peppers(notes) and Carolina's defense were trying to chase down Michael Vick(notes), it's still pretty good. Both teams have returned to the top of the standings. They don't get much attention from the national media, and the rivalry is overshadowed regionally by ACC and SEC football. Still, there have been good battles. In the revolving-door NFC South, these two will fight hard to stay 1-2 over New Orleans and Tampa Bay next season.

10. Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys
It's good to see this classic coming back strong. Of course, this always will be remembered as the Ice Bowl matchup, but there also was Brett Favre and Troy Aikman in the early to mid-'90s. It was a huge hit on the NFL Network two years ago, when we saw Aaron Rodgers(notes) step into his first duel with Tony Romo. This year's game is at Lambeau, as the lead-in to Pats-Colts.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nf...=tsn&type=lgns

NameUsedBefore
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Can't disagree with #1. Those teams beat the shit out of each other every time they meet.

Indy/New England would be #1 if they played every year.

IMO, the AFC West rivalries have calmed down a bit as of late. It seemed we could have had a nice Rivers/Cutler thing going, but that's gone. And... well, all the teams in the AFC West look fairly stagnate at the moment.

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Can't disagree with #1. Those teams beat the shit out of each other every time they meet.

Indy/New England would be #1 if they played every year.

IMO, the AFC West rivalries have calmed down a bit as of late. It seemed we could have had a nice Rivers/Cutler thing going, but that's gone. And... well, all the teams in the AFC West look fairly stagnate at the moment.

since mike is gone the hate the raiders week will not be as intense from the coaching area.. BUT I suspect the VETs will remember and get the rookies/newbies up for it..

honz
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
When have we been able to slow down Gates and LT???

NameUsedBefore
05-17-2009, 04:57 PM
When have we been able to slow down Gates and LT???

With a little bit of cunning, and a lot of time.

DenBronx
05-17-2009, 05:01 PM
i think the rivalry is going to die down a bit now that cutler is gone.

also a good one to keep an eye on is pitt vs tenn. anyone remember them stomping on the terrible towel last year and the words exchanged?

Ravage!!!
05-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I can't believe he/the writer didn't name the Bears as GB's biggest rival. Its been the Bears vs GB FOREVER..... Minnesota and Detroit are on that short list of teams that have never won the big game.... right there with San Diego :D

DenBronx
05-17-2009, 05:11 PM
personally i hope the raiders vs broncos rivarly gets stirred up again. we need a new story line...new players and new fights. i guess im just determined to hate the raiders and their fans the rest of my life. hating them was a big reason i became a bronco fan in the first place. living in california their are so many wanna be raider fans and they know nothing about their team. plus all the thugs sport their gear.

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
personally i hope the raiders vs broncos rivarly gets stirred up again. we need a new story line...new players and new fights. i guess im just determined to hate the raiders and their fans the rest of my life. hating them was a big reason i became a bronco fan in the first place. living in california their are so many wanna be raider fans and they know nothing about their team. plus all the thugs sport their gear.

I doubt it will have all the fever that it did while mike was here as he hated al for getting fired and not paying him the money he was owed..

I suspect that there will always be a mini hatred for all things bolts, fader, and chefs for the Broncos.. I'd guess that the Chefs will heat up because of Paoli/Josh used to be teammates.. I'd also guess Josh will put extra effort in beating AFCE and AFCN teams.. NE being at the head of that list..

horsepig
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I miss the daays when even an exceptionaly good AFC West team could expect to go no better than 4-2 in the dvision. The Sparklers just don't add up as our rival for me. We've had great rivalries for years with KC nad the faiders. I too would like to see them heat back up a little.

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I miss the daays when even an exceptionaly good AFC West team could expect to go no better than 4-2 in the dvision. The Sparklers just don't add up as our rival for me. We've had great rivalries for years with KC nad the faiders. I too would like to see them heat back up a little.

I suspect that unless this new coach in KC is a dud with all the talent they have picked up over the past 2-3 years they will soon be a real threat as for OAK they also will sneak up on a every once in a while and they seems to have had SAN number the past couple of years.. OAK will be better when Al dies and not until then for he is afraid of having a strong HC..

As for SAN they are the class of the division with all the talent they still have from their 3-4 years of drafting in the top 5.. but they will be moving on after this year unless they win all the marbles.. and then some will anyway.. so the window is closing soon unless some of the talent they have got are sleepers for now.. If they ever get a real Coach there they could be scary..

BroncoTech
05-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Raiders Suck!

Dirk
05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Nice read...thanks JR! :salute:

I agree that the Steelers/Ravens should be number one. They are balls out when they play each other.

As far as the AFC West is concerned. I agree that today it is the Broncos and Bolts that should have that honor. And I also agree that it will calm down slightly with Cutty gone and Rivers has no one to bait into a pissing contest.

As a fan...I still hate the Raiders the most. Only because of the way they act, their fans act, their coaches act. I didn't put the way Davis acts because he doesn't know what he is doing. :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Nice read...thanks JR! :salute:

I agree that the Steelers/Ravens should be number one. They are balls out when they play each other.

As far as the AFC West is concerned. I agree that today it is the Broncos and Bolts that should have that honor. And I also agree that it will calm down slightly with Cutty gone and Rivers has no one to bait into a pissing contest.

As a fan...I still hate the Raiders the most. Only because of the way they act, their fans act, their coaches act. I didn't put the way Davis acts because he doesn't know what he is doing. :laugh:
You can't hate on ol' Al......................where else would we get a guaranteed comedy fix from? ;)

Dirk
05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
You can't hate on ol' Al......................where else would we get a guaranteed comedy fix from? ;)

:laugh:

No hate....more like an "understanding". :listen:

DenBronx
05-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't believe he/the writer didn't name the Bears as GB's biggest rival. Its been the Bears vs GB FOREVER..... Minnesota and Detroit are on that short list of teams that have never won the big game.... right there with San Diego :D

maybe thats why its not on the list anymore. people are wanting new and more heated rivalries to pay attention to. i think the gb vs bears has lost excitement and im realy tired of seeing detriot on thanksgiving. gb vs minn will be way more exciting if favre comes back.

its hard to be a rival with anyone when your linebackers are more worried about doing the b-boy stance or some stupid celebration after an arm tackle. the only story line we had was cutler vs rivers. i cant stand rivers....he's a douche. i hope orton finds a way to beat the chargers.

Ravage!!!
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
maybe thats why its not on the list anymore. people are wanting new and more heated rivalries to pay attention to. i think the gb vs bears has lost excitement and im realy tired of seeing detriot on thanksgiving. gb vs minn will be way more exciting if favre comes back.

its hard to be a rival with anyone when your linebackers are more worried about doing the b-boy stance or some stupid celebration after an arm tackle. the only story line we had was cutler vs rivers. i cant stand rivers....he's a douche. i hope orton finds a way to beat the chargers.

I guess.. but isn't that what makes a rivalry WORTh something, History??

The Chargers have been the AFC West winners for a couple years now, but they haven't been GOOD... ever. So for so many years, they were just an after thought, a nothing. I don't consider them to be a bigger rival than the CHiefs and/or Raiders. 2-3 years just doesn't a rival make, imo.

History.. over time... building and being kept heated is what makes a true rivalry. Green Bay vs Minnesota would be fun to watch because of the Favre drama, not because its a bigger rivalry.