PDA

View Full Version : Hodel knows replacing Paxton won't be snap

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I realize this is not really Broncos talk but thought it should be here because he discusses Paxton the LS most everyone hates..

by By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff , The Boston Globe

add this RSS blog email print
FOXBOROUGH - Few long snappers could boast the reliability and visibility that Lonie Paxton enjoyed with the Patriots for the past nine seasons.

Paxton's life-of-the-party persona and infamous snow angel celebration following the win over the Oakland Raiders in the 2001 playoffs gave him cult status. His ability to flawlessly fire a Football between his legs gave the Patriots peace of mind on punts, field goals, and extra points.
That's why Nathan Hodel knows that replacing Paxton, who departed for Denver and a five-year, $5.38 million deal, won't be a snap. Hodel, who handled every long snap for the Arizona Cardinals from 2002-08, isn't Paxton, and he's not trying to be.

The 31-year-old Hodel has tattooed forearms like Paxton, but he is his own man. Hodel is married with two children. He has a master's degree in business administration from the University of Illinois, where he walked on as a long snapper and also played on the baseball team, and one of his hobbies is graphic design.

He might not have long snapped for a Super Bowl-winning kick, but he was the long snapper for Arizona in 2005, when Neil Rackers set an NFL record by converting 40 field goals.

``Lonie, he did his thing out here and I know people appreciated it,'' said Hodel, an ice pack wrapped around the left knee he had surgery on two weeks after Arizona's loss to Pittsburgh in last February's Super Bowl. ``I'll try to carve out my own little niche. I don't think I can replace Lonie because, like you said, he was like that cult icon out here. I'll just try and do my best to perform the duties and not mess it up.''

Paxton's decision to sign with Denver set off a chain of events that led to Hodel landing in New England. Paxton displaced Broncos long snapper Mike Leach, who replaced Hodel in Arizona.

Hodel wasn't expecting to be a Patriot. He had signed a four-year, $3.7 million deal with Arizona in 2008. He was surprised when the Cardinals released him in March. He was relieved when his agent got a call from new Patriots special teams coach Scott O'Brien.

There is history between Hodel and O'Brien. Hodel started his NFL career with Carolina in 2001, when O'Brien was the Panthers' special teams coach. Hodel spent six weeks on Carolina's practice squad before he was released and picked up by Arizona.

Hodel was grateful that O'Brien recommended him to the Patriots , even though he was coming off knee surgery.

``I'm real appreciative of that, and that just makes me work that much harder that somebody is going to put their word out there for you,'' said Hodel. ``That makes you not only want to succeed for yourself and the team, but for that coach as well.''

The engaging and articulate Hodel, who served as Arizona's players' union representative, acknowledged that he knew little about the Patriots before his free agent visit.

``I know that they win,'' said Hodel. ``Some guys around the league have a notion that the Patriots can be kind of arrogant, but what I think is that if you're winning you can do whatever you want. You can kind of write your own ticket. I didn't have any real preconceived notion. It was really when I took that visit, and I was in the building and it's just all Football. There is no nonsense.''

Hodel, who signed a one-year deal with a $745,000 base salary, is the presumed replacement for Paxton. However, he'll have to overcome rookie Jake Ingram. He said the knee shouldn't be an issue.

``I'm cleared to do the minicamps and everything right now,'' said Hodel. ``I just had to get a little something fixed. I just flew to St. Louis to meet with the doc that did it, and he cleared me to do all my stuff now. I've been in [Gillette Stadium] with the trainers, who are a great group of guys, and they've been helping me work real hard to get it right. I don't see any problems.''

Hodel said he's already been working with kicker Stephen Gostkowski during the offseason and described Gostkowski and punter/holder Chris Hanson as ``two professionals.''

Hodel also knows that some fans will be concerned about his ability to long snap in bad weather after spending the last seven seasons in the desert.

``Lonie has done a great job up here, especially in the conditions,'' said Hodel. ``It's obviously a little easier to snap in Arizona, but I did that at Illinois, we had a lot of weather, so it will be a little return to my college years.''

Just don't expect Hodel to be doing snow angels in the end zone.

``I don't know. Maybe I'll work on it with my kids when it snows,'' said Hodel. ``Maybe I'll try something new. Lonie has got the patent on that.''

Christopher L. Gasper can be reached at cgasper @globe.com.

Broncos Mtnman
05-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't hate him - I hate his coach.

Leach was a totally reliable LS. If you watch film, you will also see that his snaps were always on target and on punts, he was usually the first tackler to the ball carrier.

There was no reason for Paxton to come here. Leach was just as good, if not better, at a cheaper price.

Of course, who says anything Mickey Mouse does makes sense? Besides himself, I mean.

:coffee:

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't hate him - I hate his coach.

Leach was a totally reliable LS. If you watch film, you will also see that his snaps were always on target and on punts, he was usually the first tackler to the ball carrier.

There was no reason for Paxton to come here. Leach was just as good, if not better, at a cheaper price.

Of course, who says anything Mickey Mouse does makes sense? Besides himself, I mean.

while you are correct about leach being a stellar LS and being great on ST..

I feel the new GUY can bring in folks that are familiar with what he is going to do to if for no other reason have someone on the field to help folks understand what is going on..

like having an aide de camp..

was he over paid? probably, but how may on the team were being over paid already..

Face it had he not fired jay you would have less issues with it..:D

I thought the article might help folks to understand why he is here now..

broncohead
05-16-2009, 03:28 PM

I feel the new GUY can bring in folks that are familiar with what he is going to do to if for no other reason have someone on the field to help folks understand what is going on..

was he over paid? probably, but how may on the team were being over paid already..

I just don't see how a LS would help the team. Does he know the QB, RB, WR, TE, or OL positions?

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
I just don't see how a LS would help the team. Does he know the QB, RB, WR, TE, or OL positions?

guess you never played or really watched that part of the game much..

one lousy snap can cause 6 points in a heart beat..

one lousy snap can pin your defense in a major hole..

One lousy snap can kill your kicker trying to get the ball off.

it can cause penalties such as leaving the LOS to soon..

one lousy snap mostly likely cause missed field goals..

Leach used to snap the ball and be one of the first guys down field in a lot of cases making the tackle ..

lets hope the new guy can do the same..

broncohead
05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
guess you never played or really watched that part of the game much..

one lousy snap can cause 6 points in a heart beat..

one lousy snap can pin your defense in a major hole..

One lousy snap can kill your kicker trying to get the ball off.

it can cause penalties such as leaving the LOS to soon..

one lousy snap mostly likely cause missed field goals..

Leach used to snap the ball and be one of the first guys down field in a lot of cases making the tackle ..

lets hope the new guy can do the same..

I was refering to your point about helping out other players to whats going on. All those things you listed we where fine with with Leach. It was a pointless move that has no benifit.

dogfish
05-16-2009, 04:13 PM
i was just going to post this. . . . before this i was really pissed off about throwing money away to overpay a long snapper when we already had one of the best in the league, but now that i know this guy is a CULT ICON for his snow angel celebrations, i feel a lot better about it. . . .

:rolleyes:

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I was refering to your point about helping out other players to whats going on. All those things you listed we where fine with with Leach. It was a pointless move that has no benifit.

We are going to a new system that the new guy knows that Leach did not.. Josh wanted someone on the team he could count on to help ON the field. Like and on the field coach..

Since many of the ST players will only see the field while on ST's he felt he needed someone he could trust to know what is going on....

for that matter he sounds like he is the best of the best. not to say that Leach was bad because he was one of the best and certainly one of my favorites.. Someone that I have been defending for years for all the morons wanting to cut him because as a TE he caught 3 passes a year..

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 04:19 PM
i was just going to post this. . . . before this i was really pissed off about throwing money away to overpay a long snapper when we already had one of the best in the league, but now that i know this guy is a CULT ICON for his snow angel celebrations, i feel a lot better about it. . . .

see he is not as bad as you thought.. glad to your getting in the mood..:salute:

jrelway
05-16-2009, 04:55 PM
leach wouldve been fine as our LS. didnt really remember him screwing anything up. besides, doesnt matter whos system the LS plays in. dont they snap the ball the same distance on every team? dam the off season. debating about long snappers :tsk:

honz
05-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe they wanted someone bigger than Leach that can block a little bit better...who knows. I'm sure there is a legit reason though.

Superchop 7
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I doubt he beats out Ingram, he is extremely good for a kid coming out of college.

BroncoTech
05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
He does nothing Leech didn't do cheaper. The chances of a team rallying around a long snapper, very slim. We'll see which fool lasts longer, him or the fool that brought him in.

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Maybe they wanted someone bigger than Leach that can block a little bit better...who knows. I'm sure there is a legit reason though.

the only thing I did not like about it was giving him a rather large contract but that was probably the going rate.. I hated to see leach go but getting an all pro in his place is a good way to go.

I do believe that Josh wanted to get a few players that understand what he is trying to accomplish and help to foster(teach) the way things are going to be done in Den from now on..

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I doubt he beats out Ingram, he is extremely good for a kid coming out of college.

unless he is carried out on a stretcher he will be the LS for this team the next few years..

MOtorboat
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm amazed at how many people have complained about letting go of the "best" player on the worst special teams in football the last few years...

Seems like kind of an oxymoron to me...

broncofanatic1987
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM

As I understand it, Paxton can play all 5 offensive line positions. Perhaps the reason he's a Bronco and Leach is not is because McDaniels would rather have an emergency back up lineman than an emergency back up tight end.

I really don't understand why so many people are bent out of shape over the long snapper position. Paxton is every bit as good if not better than Leach. What the hell is the problem? Don't tell me it's the money because it's not your money to complain about. You pay what you have to pay to get the people you believe will help your team. There's one other team out there that felt compelled to pay their long snapper more than what Paxton is getting. So apparently his contract isn't too far out of line for his position.

MOtorboat
05-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Paxton is every bit as good if not better than Leach.

He is better. And has proven that. On a top notch special teams unit, to boot.

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
He is better. And has proven that. On a top notch special teams unit, to boot.

which he now hope/will anchor in DEN.. other than the huge contract I do not see the issue..

Broncos Mtnman
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
We are going to a new system that the new guy knows that Leach did not.. Josh wanted someone on the team he could count on to help ON the field. Like and on the field coach..

Since many of the ST players will only see the field while on ST's he felt he needed someone he could trust to know what is going on....

If this is true, then Mickey is dumber than a bag of rocks. Nothing changes on special teams just because the boy genius is bringing in a new offense.

To imply that Paxton has some sort of "insider" information that's going to make his snaps better than Leach is ridiculous, and signing him showed very early in Mickey's tenure here that he's an idiot.

MOtorboat
05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
and signing him showed very early in Mickey's tenure here that he's an idiot.

Really?

In your opinion...because I've found that your opinions are usually irrational.

Have we played a game yet?

Can I have that crystal ball?

Broncos Mtnman
05-16-2009, 08:37 PM

I know I am

Yeah, because snapping a football is really complicated. I bet Mickey has a whole dictionary full of terminology that says, "snap the ball - then tackle the guy carrying the ball."

Because nobody does it like NE.

He needs more than an aide.

Oh, now THERE'S a reason to sign him.

Face it, that has nothing to do with your accusation that people hate Paxton. That's what I was addressing.

For the record, check my posts. I've hated his hiring since the day he was hired, which was way before his brainiac move with Cutler. Get your facts straight.

We all know why he's here. He's from NE, Mickey is from NE. We are NE West. That's why he's here. It isn't because he's better than the guy he replaced.

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
If this is true, then Mickey is dumber than a bag of rocks. Nothing changes on special teams just because the boy genius is bringing in a new offense.

To imply that Paxton has some sort of "insider" information that's going to make his snaps better than Leach is ridiculous, and signing him showed very early in Mickey's tenure here that he's an idiot.

please spare me the coffee crap..

and in no place did I make a comment to the effect "make his snaps better than Leach is ridiculous"

sorry your bitter that jay and mike are gone, but time to move on..

Because in your words our coach is " dumber than a bag of rocks." sounds like giving up your season tickets was a wise thing to do..

perhaps they will be used by someone that is a fan of the team..

Broncos Mtnman
05-16-2009, 08:40 PM
which he now hope/will anchor in DEN.. other than the huge contract I do not see the issue..

Yeah, replacing the LS with someone from NE is all we needed. We'll lead the NFL in special teams and it will all be because of Paxton.

"CHAM-ION-SHIP"

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I know I am

Yeah, because snapping a football is really complicated. I bet Mickey has a whole dictionary full of terminology that says, "snap the ball - then tackle the guy carrying the ball."

Because nobody does it like NE.

He needs more than an aide.

Oh, now THERE'S a reason to sign him.

Face it, that has nothing to do with your accusation that people hate Paxton. That's what I was addressing.

For the record, check my posts. I've hated his hiring since the day he was hired, which was way before his brainiac move with Cutler. Get your facts straight.

We all know why he's here. He's from NE, Mickey is from NE. We are NE West. That's why he's here. It isn't because he's better than the guy he replaced.

Well was not aware you did not like him from eh get go so pardon the "fired jay" comment.

I have accepted that mike should have been fired IMO it should been done years ago.. Personally I would have waited for the guy from NYG.. But am glad we got this kid as I think what he has done so far is a real step in the right direction..

but again if you do not like the team, why beat your self up?

If we can wins some games like NE has over the years wow what a concept.. not fading in the stretch like we have for at least a decade..

Broncos Mtnman
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
please spare me the coffee crap..

spare me your "spare me" talk

and in no place did I make a comment to the effect "make his snaps better than Leach is ridiculous"

You implied that he has some sort of knowledge because of working with the boy wonder. Since he's only a LS, it was a fair conclusion.

sorry your bitter that jay and mike are gone, but time to move on..

You're the one who keeps bringing them up. Why don't YOU move on. My posts have dealt with your thread and nothing else.

Because in your words our coach is " dumber than a bag of rocks." sounds like giving up your season tickets was a wise thing to do..

You have a real problem dealing with what is posted, don't you? I said that his hiring Paxton because of some special "knowledge" was dumb.

Try keeping things on topic and off me, K?

perhaps they will be used by someone that is a fan of the team..

Screw you and your "fan" talk. I've had tickets since 1994. I don't have to explain my actions to you or anyone else. And once again, you make it personal.

Knock it off, Mr. Mod.

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, replacing the LS with someone from NE is all we needed. We'll lead the NFL in special teams and it will all be because of Paxton.

"CHAM-ION-SHIP"

now your just being bitter and ludicrous..

Will he be the only reason the ST improves? Absolutely not.. but he is the seed corn so to speak, will be counted on being the leader of the ST.. and God only knows we have needed that for a LOOOONG time.

Lonestar
05-16-2009, 08:57 PM

You implied that he has some sort of knowledge because of working with the boy wonder. Since he's only a LS, it was a fair conclusion.

You're the one who keeps bringing them up. Why don't YOU move on. My posts have dealt with your thread and nothing else.

You have a real problem dealing with what is posted, don't you? I said that his hiring Paxton because of some special "knowledge" was dumb.

Screw you and your "fan" talk. I've had tickets since 1994. I don't have to explain my actions to you or anyone else. And once again, you make it personal.

Knock it off, Mr. Mod.

still bitter,

I had tickets when the broncos were really bad 1960-79. So I speak from a frame of reference that you have a hard time getting..

I would have kept my tickets but I had moved out of state and did not ever think I'd be back to DEN.. and there were 30K some odd folks on a waiting list.. at the time..

I consider myself a fan regardless of good, bad or indifferent teams.. sorry if you do not get my perspective on this..

I suspect like the jay vs Jake stuff we will never agree on this so perhaps it is time to agree to disagree..

honz
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Leach was cool. He has another job now. Players get released all the time. Paxton is now our long snapper and he is very good. Get over it.

MOtorboat
05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Leach was cool. He has another job now. Players get released all the time. Paxton is now our long snapper and he is very good. Get over it.

But...but...but...McDaniels is an IDIOT! :rolleyes:

getlynched47
05-16-2009, 11:30 PM
McDaniels replaced gold (Leach) for silver (Paxton)

Congratulations loser :coffee:

Tempus Fugit
05-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Could someone cite to me the link proving Leach's long snapping superiority over Paxon? I've looked at all sorts of locations, but I can't seem to find the evidence anywhere.

dogfish
05-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Could someone cite to me the link proving Leach's long snapping superiority over Paxon? I've looked at all sorts of locations, but I can't seem to find the evidence anywhere.

it's right next to the link proving that paxton is worth more money than leach because he played for the patsies. . . . :listen:

Broncos Mtnman
05-17-2009, 02:23 AM

There are two stats that would indicate Leach being superior....

1) Fumbles - an errant snap is considered a fumble by the NFL. Both Leach and Paxton began their career in 2000. Leach had ZERO fumbles in his 123 games. Paxton had 2 in his 141 games.

2) Tackles - Leach has 24 solo and 4 assisted tackles in his 123 games for a total of 28. Paxton has 6 solo and 6 assisted tackles in his 141 games for a total of 12.

JKcatch724
05-17-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm too lazy to go through 3 pages of posts but good GOD.... It's a LONG SNAPPER!!!

I mean, seriously.

Nomad
05-17-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm too lazy to go through 3 pages of posts but good GOD.... It's a LONG SNAPPER!!!

I mean, seriously.

That's what I'm saying, though the position is as important on ST as the FS role as being the last defender. Why McDaniel's got rid of Leach:noidea:. They're both equal to one another except Paxton is a couple years younger. :ohwell: There's a huge turnover rate on NFL football team nowsdays.

rcsodak
05-17-2009, 10:05 AM

"CHAM-ION-SHIP"

Looks like you best be careful drinking too much of that coffee :coffee:, mtn.....

......you forgot your "P"ee. :rolleyes:

And did you not read that Paxton can actually play more than 1 position?

Damn! I can actually see paxton/leech becoming on par with cut-n-run'er/jake.
:tsk:

rcsodak
05-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Knock it off, Mr. Mod.

*note to self*
middle of the month=mtn's pms

*end note to self*

:lol:

rcsodak
05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
McDaniels replaced gold (Leach) for silver (Paxton)

Congratulations loser :coffee:

Explain yourself.

TIA

rcsodak
05-17-2009, 10:11 AM
There are two stats that would indicate Leach being superior....

1) Fumbles - an errant snap is considered a fumble by the NFL. Both Leach and Paxton began their career in 2000. Leach had ZERO fumbles in his 123 games. Paxton had 2 in his 141 games.

2) Tackles - Leach has 24 solo and 4 assisted tackles in his 123 games for a total of 28. Paxton has 6 solo and 6 assisted tackles in his 141 games for a total of 12.

1)Yeah, because we all know the weather conditions in NE are so good in the winter, vs denver.

2) Just shows that denver's ST has sucked.

......next....... :coffee:

rcsodak
05-17-2009, 10:15 AM

I mean, seriously.

It has nothing to do with the position.....

.....but rather, the action of the HC, who some people have already decided sucks.

anton...
05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
the base salary for a veteran long snapper is $0.75 million per year...

paxton signed a five year $5.38 million deal with...

thats $1.08 million a year...

hodel signed a four year $3.7 million deal with the cards a year ago...

thats $0.93 million a year...

we are paying as good a top long snapper 150k a year more than the cards payed an average one...

paxton can also be an emergency tackle or guard...

leach was an emergency TE...

and paxton knows the culture, knows the system...

i dont understand what the big deal is...

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 01:20 PM

we are paying as good a top long snapper 150k a year more than the cards payed an average one...

Great post

Neither does anyone that does not hate the new Guy.. somefolks just want to make mountains out of mole hills..

I must be mistaken but the full moon was last week or was that just in El Paso..:D

JKcatch724
05-17-2009, 02:34 PM
It has nothing to do with the position.....

.....but rather, the action of the HC, who some people have already decided sucks.

I mean I understand.... I was just as confused by the move as anybody. But I got over it. I don't know why people are still talking about it.

Lonestar
05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
I mean I understand.... I was just as confused by the move as anybody. But I got over it. I don't know why people are still talking about it.

I started the thread because there was some good stuff in the article I thought folks would like to read about one of our new Broncos..

why the hate well it's beyond me..

omac
05-18-2009, 01:59 AM
I started the thread because there was some good stuff in the article I thought folks would like to read about one of our new Broncos..

why the hate well it's beyond me..

Paxton will be solid.

People just find the move wasteful, since Leach has been nothing but solid, and a true pro.

McDaniels hasn't had a lot of experience as a coach, and even less so as a head coach, so right now, the source of his confidence is an unwavering belief in the system he knows. That's why he tries to act like Belichick, that's why he needs to build a similar offense and defense like he had in NE, that's why he wanted a Kevin Faulk type RB, and that's why he wears his own hoodie. Bringing in familiar faces, specially a long snapper when there was a perfectly good one in the team, is his security blanket.

Leach was just a casualty of a coach wanting his own players. That happens a lot in the NFL.

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Paxton will be solid.

People just find the move wasteful, since Leach has been nothing but solid, and a true pro.

McDaniels hasn't had a lot of experience as a coach, and even less so as a head coach, so right now, the source of his confidence is an unwavering belief in the system he knows. That's why he tries to act like Belichick, that's why he needs to build a similar offense and defense like he had in NE, that's why he wanted a Kevin Faulk type RB, and that's why he wears his own hoodie. Bringing in familiar faces, specially a long snapper when there was a perfectly good one in the team, is his security blanket.

Leach was just a casualty of a coach wanting his own players. That happens a lot in the NFL.

Precisely on point he wanted seed corn so to speak as we have along way to go and a short time to get there..

SO Knowledgeable or players not in/with the losing attitude that DEN has had the past few years is what he needs to help change the team around..

dogfish
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Precisely on point he wanted seed corn so to speak as we have along way to go and a short time to get there..

SO Knowledgeable or players not in/with the losing attitude that DEN has had the past few years is what he needs to help change the team around..

couldn't he find some defensive linemen for seed corn, instead of a friggin' longsnapper-- when we already had a perfectly good one under contract for less money? why not bring in some guys with a winning attitude that also happened to play a position we needed?

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 06:06 PM
couldn't he find some defensive linemen for seed corn, instead of a friggin' longsnapper-- when we already had a perfectly good one under contract for less money? why not bring in some guys with a winning attitude that also happened to play a position we needed?

like whom?

bcbronc
05-20-2009, 12:45 AM

great post, I was going to say much the same (but I wouldn't have done the math part...too complicated...).

I will add a little math though,

Paxton = 3 superbowl rings

Leach = 0 superbowl rings.

might be just a long-snapper, but you can never have too many rings in a dressing room.