PDA

View Full Version : Avengers Thread with Spoilers

ShaneFalco
05-05-2012, 09:16 PM
just saw avengers. prolly greatest i have seen in a while. This will be a great summer for movies.

btw SPOILER BELOW

http://gifsoup.com/view4/3672555/hulk-vs-loki-o.gif

MasterShake
05-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I am going to try and post this for the major movie releases this summer in case people want to discuss them without having to post spoiler alerts. This is the place to discuss these films without leaving out details. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, you have been warned! Otherwise, have at it.

MasterShake
05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Guess I'll start, while I enjoyed the mid credits scene with Thanos making a appearance, the short scene AFTER the credits was really funny and took a good jab at those of us who wait around after credits to watch them. Having the heros just sitting around eating in a half destroyed restaurant without saying a word. Wasn't sure if I should be pissed or laugh. I laughed.

ShaneFalco
05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Guess I'll start, while I enjoyed the mid credits scene with Thanos making a appearance, the short scene AFTER the credits was really funny and took a good jab at those of us who wait around after credits to watch them. Having the heros just sitting around eating in a half destroyed restaurant without saying a word. Wasn't sure if I should be pissed or laugh. I laughed.

whoa wait... i stayed for apocolypse being shown. Was there another scene after that?

ShaneFalco
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
wow . im pissed i didnt stay for longer. I thought the mid credit scene was the ending one!!!!!!!!!!

MasterShake
05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
whoa wait... i stayed for apocolypse being shown. Was there another scene after that?

Its Thanos, not apocalypse. Yeah, one more scene they just shot recently after the main credits too. You didn't miss anything but a joke, really. Im sure its on youtube somewhere.

skins_fan82
05-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Dude...HOLY SHIT! I thought this movie was going to be good, but damn! It was awesome!!!

Probably the best new age superhero movie ever made. I got goosebumps like 3 times during the last 30 minutes.

MasterShake
05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah it was really good. My only fear now is that they are going to try and cram too many heroes and villains into the sequels and make things too hard to follow. But then again, that could have happened with this one so what the hell do I know?

Northman
05-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Im not that familiar with the comics but who is Thanos exactly? I thought that was Red Skull.

D1g1tal j1m
05-07-2012, 12:38 AM
The Hulk vs Thor battle was great and the way the Hulk suckered punched Thor during the battle at the end was funny as heck...

G_Money
05-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanos brings a war for another thing we briefly saw stuffed into Odin's treasure room, actually - the Infinity Gauntlet. I don't understand how they would possibly do that - it's basically a dream sequence where Thanos gets a hard-on for the embodiment of Death and wipes out most of the Marvel universe to prove his worth for her affections. Then it all gets undone with a snap of the fingers at the end by someone else, and voila! Nothing was lost.

I personally would leave that alone and do some version of Civil War. It would let you kill Cap and use Winter Soldier, which I assume is gonna be included in the next Cap movie, and it ties in pretty well with the distrust that "The Council" had with the use of superpowered beings in The Avengers.

But we'll see.

As for the movie... YEAH! *laughs* It was great. Things I quibbled with were relatively minor (ie, nuking NY after 30 minutes of battle against guys on sleds who looked pretty easy to shoot down). I accept that these things are necessary to move a story forward, and I don't press TOO hard on plot in superhero movies. So many great moments. Lines like Hulk's "puny god" were lifted from the comics and so great. Simple things. Cap: "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't look like that." Perfect for him. A wonderfully crafted statement about Cap with a single line, and I have to say unusual in a secular movie to shove in a blatant remark about God in such a simple and un-argued statement.

I figure I was gonna be really bothered by Scarlett's lack of a Russian accent, but after she gave her explanation of leaving that life behind and being convinced to come over to this side, it actually felt like using her American accent was a statement about choosing that side over her murderous past. Felt perfectly right.

Tony and Pepper's relationship was WONDERFULLY done, a terrific follow up to IM2, and their collaboration on projects using his unlimited money was great. Like she's pushing him to do more for other people, and he's happy to do anything with her.

And that final-final scene in the busted-up restaurant was awesome. Cap looked so tired he was practically falling out of his chair, nobody's saying anything...LONG night at the office after a horrible project and ridiculous deadline, and the gang is eating before breaking up for a well-deserved weekend.

Badass.

Joss did a great job. I'm a fan of his work, even when it gets a little cutesy, but he gave so much time to character in this amongst all the action that I couldn't have been more fulfilled by it all.

Great culmination to a 5 movie buildup, and I can't wait to see it again.

~G

MasterShake
05-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanos brings a war for another thing we briefly saw stuffed into Odin's treasure room, actually - the Infinity Gauntlet. I don't understand how they would possibly do that - it's basically a dream sequence where Thanos gets a hard-on for the embodiment of Death and wipes out most of the Marvel universe to prove his worth for her affections. Then it all gets undone with a snap of the fingers at the end by someone else, and voila! Nothing was lost.

I personally would leave that alone and do some version of Civil War. It would let you kill Cap and use Winter Soldier, which I assume is gonna be included in the next Cap movie, and it ties in pretty well with the distrust that "The Council" had with the use of superpowered beings in The Avengers.

But we'll see.

As for the movie... YEAH! *laughs* It was great. Things I quibbled with were relatively minor (ie, nuking NY after 30 minutes of battle against guys on sleds who looked pretty easy to shoot down). I accept that these things are necessary to move a story forward, and I don't press TOO hard on plot in superhero movies. So many great moments. Lines like Hulk's "puny god" were lifted from the comics and so great. Simple things. Cap: "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't look like that." Perfect for him. A wonderfully crafted statement about Cap with a single line, and I have to say unusual in a secular movie to shove in a blatant remark about God in such a simple and un-argued statement.

I figure I was gonna be really bothered by Scarlett's lack of a Russian accent, but after she gave her explanation of leaving that life behind and being convinced to come over to this side, it actually felt like using her American accent was a statement about choosing that side over her murderous past. Felt perfectly right.

Tony and Pepper's relationship was WONDERFULLY done, a terrific follow up to IM2, and their collaboration on projects using his unlimited money was great. Like she's pushing him to do more for other people, and he's happy to do anything with her.

And that final-final scene in the busted-up restaurant was awesome. Cap looked so tired he was practically falling out of his chair, nobody's saying anything...LONG night at the office after a horrible project and ridiculous deadline, and the gang is eating before breaking up for a well-deserved weekend.

Badass.

Joss did a great job. I'm a fan of his work, even when it gets a little cutesy, but he gave so much time to character in this amongst all the action that I couldn't have been more fulfilled by it all.

Great culmination to a 5 movie buildup, and I can't wait to see it again.

~G

I remember seeing the Infinity Gauntlet in the treasure room as well, and I'm pretty sure that Loki's staff had the blue (mind) gem on it, probably on loan from Thanos. And yeah, there was never really any sense of danger in the Gauntlet story at the end, but the same can be said of the Avengers movie. Those Chutari aliens just seemed like canon fodder at the end, and you never really thought anyone was going to get hurt. And what was with the Star Wars/Independence Day ending with them all being controlled by the ship somehow?

I thought Civil War was kind of a mess, but it would be a lot easier to handle than the Infinity Gauntlet saga. Maybe they are just taking "ideas" from both story lines and reworking them to fit their films? Kind of like how Chris Nolan adapted aspects of Batman: Year One in Batman Begins but changed it to fit his needs.

I just wish Sony and FOX would share or sell back the rights to Marvel for their characters. Not having Spiderman show up during the Manhattan battle seemed sacriligous to me! I kind of hope The Amazing Spiderman falls flat on its face this summer so that is closer to becoming a reality.

MileHighCrew
05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Saw it last night, what a great movie. I did think they could have done more with the 3D, but it was really good.

The Hulk sucker punch and the enitre theatre laughing together.

MasterShake
05-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Saw it last night, what a great movie. I did think they could have done more with the 3D, but it was really good.

The Hulk sucker punch and the enitre theatre laughing together.

I didn't see it in 3D, but I kind of figured it would be like that. Even when a movie uses it well I get used to it after a while and regret paying extra for the ticket. Plus unless the theater keeps their bulbs on the projector bright, it really darkens the whole movie.

The Hulk sucker punch! Forgot about that!

G_Money
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Civil War would have to be...distilled. But they're gonna have to do some SERIOUS work to make an Infinity Gauntlet saga work.

I'm with you, Spidey and the Fantastic Four really belonged at this fight. I don't think Spidey will be obtainable, even if this summer's movie bombs (and I don't think it's gonna do that well, personally) and the X-Men definitely isn't coming back, but the FF might be easier. If Disney's willing to pay Fox to buy out 2nd tier properties like Daredevil and FF, I'll be stoked.

And then somebody could maybe do FREAKING DOOM CORRECTLY. Ahem. He's one of the greatest villains in Marvel - don't screw up Doom! Again. :tsk: In fact, if anybody were to ask me (which unfortunately they aren't) I'd make a Doom movie with the Fantastic Four as extras instead of a FF movie with Doom as a bit player. Doom + Fantastic Four + all the Avengers might make the Infinity Gauntlet possible. They could do some blend of Secret Wars + IG and make a meal out of a whole lot of pieces.

Joss had better be the one doing it, though.

~G

MileHighCrew
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I didn't see it in 3D, but I kind of figured it would be like that. Even when a movie uses it well I get used to it after a while and regret paying extra for the ticket. Plus unless the theater keeps their bulbs on the projector bright, it really darkens the whole movie.

The Hulk sucker punch! Forgot about that!

I have a 3D TV with the 3D BluRay player, so when this hits DVD I'll pick it up and see if it is better on my system for the 3D

skins_fan82
05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I understood that the movie wasn't "filmed" in 3-D, yet we saw it in 3-D anyway. I thought it was pretty cool.

Any of you folks who live in South Denver, the movie theater next to Lone Tree has $5 movies all day on Sunday. Wife and I saw it in 3-d for $16, which I understand is a pretty good deal.

MasterShake
05-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I understood that the movie wasn't "filmed" in 3-D, yet we saw it in 3-D anyway. I thought it was pretty cool.

Any of you folks who live in South Denver, the movie theater next to Lone Tree has $5 movies all day on Sunday. Wife and I saw it in 3-d for $16, which I understand is a pretty good deal.

For two tickets thats a great deal! My favorite theater is Harkins up north. The Cine Capri screen is the largest non-true IMAX screen in Colorado. Plus if you bring in your loyalty cup soda is only $1. Never had problems with jerk movie goers there either (phone talkers, seat kickers, etc.) Their prices are good, but not quite that good. I think a 3d matinee is $10 which isnt bad at all IMO.

sneakers
05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
SPOILER:

They all die at the end, crushing all hopes of a sequel.

G_Money
05-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Blatant lie, sneak. :tsk:

Loki lives - he's passed around the Chitauri war camp as a victory knob-polisher.

At least be honest.

~G

Thnikkaman
05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0059/5362/products/joss_medium.png?100580

Ravage!!!
05-09-2012, 09:00 AM
The movie was fun. It wasn't "filled" with non-stop action like I was told it would be :lol: .. but the last 40 minutes were very fun to watch. I am glad that they didn't try to add a bunch of cheasy "3D" things flying at me. I don't need that to enjoy a 3D movie. Don't add things to fit the 3D, just make a good flick and let the 3D be there as is... depth is fine if that fits the film.

They should have included the wasp as part of the Avengers instead of Black Widow. I mean, here is blasting Iron Man, the Hulk and Thor flying and SMASHING baddies.. you have Hawkeye firing off explosive arrows......and then Black Widow with her two pistols (pew pew)...entirely out of place. I felt her character in the movie was VERY weak compared to all the rest. At the same time, they probably don't have the Wasp because that would mean they would have to include Ant Man/Giant Man.... and that just brings on an entirely new...everything.

I never was much of a Hulk guy, and Iron Man was my favorite as a kid, but the Hulk stole the show. They made his character perfect as to the comics, and its the first time they have finally matched that goal after so many friggin tries.

They STILL can't seem to give Capt. America a decent costume (although his origin movie costume was pretty good). How is it that they can make Iron Man's suit of armor incredible, spider man has the same "tights".. yet can't give Capt a decent looking costume??? Why do they try to give him that helmet????

They are talking about every Heroe's sequel movies. I think they should make them all tie in together..... think... Lord of the Rings.. where the 4th movie has them come together after all the movies tie to a single conclusion.

Thnikkaman
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I really enjoyed the movie. My only complaint were the few times where you would be watching a low lit scene, and then the screen would flash to a brightly lit outside scene. Holy cow my eyes burned.

As far as Black Widow's character goes, I thought she was excellent in this movie. Yeah the fighting scenes at the end part of the movie with her could have been better, but the way she just played with the other characters in the scenes where she was interrogating were fantastic. I loved the way she turned on Loki and just said, "So you are trying to get Banner to turn? Ok, thanks." was excellent. Oh and getting to stare at Scarlett Johansson wasn't bad either.

This is exactly what I wanted a comic book movie to be. A good spread of intelligent scenes, comedy, and action. I will be buying this on DVD, possibly Blu-Ray. Ruffalo was a better Banner than Ed Norton by a long shot. So much good in this move. Now I think I have to go watch Thor again just to catch a glimpse of the infinity gauntlet.

I found this article that discussed proposed release dates for future movies of this franchise, and I think I'm hooked as long as they keep making movies that don't suck.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/05/07/whats-next-for-marvel-studios-assembling-the-avengers-sequel/

Ravage!!!
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I hope a lot of what that writer says is wrong. I like his take, and he certainly has logic behind his opinions, but I think a lot of the "plots" in his hypothesis are too complicated. MOST of those that watch the movies are not comic-geeks. We don't know the backrounds and plot intertwining that he does, thus, I think the Thanos plot would be too complicated.

Generally speaking, I like the KISS idiology. Especially in action flics, and Marvel needs to simply Keep It Simple. The daytime soap opera of the comics need to keep out of the cinema, for the most part. Give me a good, tough, bad guy that can give the Super Heroes a fun fight to watch. Thats all we need.

I know, some of you guys are going to say "no way" because you like the comic books so much. But the truth is, 99% of te movie watchers have never read an Avengers comic in their life (or at least, not before 2 days before the movie).

MasterShake
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I hope a lot of what that writer says is wrong. I like his take, and he certainly has logic behind his opinions, but I think a lot of the "plots" in his hypothesis are too complicated. MOST of those that watch the movies are not comic-geeks. We don't know the backrounds and plot intertwining that he does, thus, I think the Thanos plot would be too complicated.

Generally speaking, I like the KISS idiology. Especially in action flics, and Marvel needs to simply Keep It Simple. The daytime soap opera of the comics need to keep out of the cinema, for the most part. Give me a good, tough, bad guy that can give the Super Heroes a fun fight to watch. Thats all we need.

I know, some of you guys are going to say "no way" because you like the comic books so much. But the truth is, 99% of te movie watchers have never read an Avengers comic in their life (or at least, not before 2 days before the movie).

Well, I used to REALLY like comic books but haven't collected since the mid 90's. I totally agree with you though in that what makes this movie successful is that the story is so siimple. I think the genius of the thing is that if you want a deep origin story, you have standalone movies for each character and each sequel to those can expand that story. For everyone else, the Avengers get together every 3 years in another movie where the stakes are raised and maybe a few new characters are introduced in a balls out action movie. I still have a feeling that Avengers 2 and 3 will film back to back to close everything up before Robert Downey Jr turns 60. I think the only confirmed movies so far are sequels to Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man. Characters like Wasp, Ant Man, etc. could be introduced in 10 minute mini-movies before those films IMO. I hope Disney/Marvel doesn't oversaturate the brand based on the success of this movie so far.

weazel
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
awesome movie, seen it last night. I dont like 3D so we only watched the "normal" version.
Just a great movie with the perfect amount of comedy, I already want to watch it again.

Ravage!!!
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
. Characters like Wasp, Ant Man, etc. could be introduced in 10 minute mini-movies before those films IMO. I hope Disney/Marvel doesn't oversaturate the brand based on the success of this movie so far.

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to make an entire movie based on Ant Man... yawn. I LOVe the Wasp as a character, but only cause I liked how they made her... character. Not as a stand alone toon. I mean, you never saw the Wasp except WITH the Avengers, and never saw the Avengers without the Wasp (well, not a lot anyway)...... which is why I was disappointed they didn't find a way to include her in this movie. Sounds stupid, because I'm not even some "Wasp" guy at all. I just felt that the Avengers were "incomplete" (so to speak) without her presence.....and even saying that to myself it sounds dumb, although I know in my head what I mean.

MasterShake
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine trying to make an entire movie based on Ant Man... yawn. I LOVe the Wasp as a character, but only cause I liked how they made her... character. Not as a stand alone toon. I mean, you never saw the Wasp except WITH the Avengers, and never saw the Avengers without the Wasp (well, not a lot anyway)...... which is why I was disappointed they didn't find a way to include her in this movie. Sounds stupid, because I'm not even some "Wasp" guy at all. I just felt that the Avengers were "incomplete" (so to speak) without her presence.....and even saying that to myself it sounds dumb, although I know in my head what I mean.

I get what you are saying, but this movie could barely complete a generic character arc with its already overbloated cast in almost 2 1/2 hours! The initial cut was well over 3 from what I read. So in addition to an Iron Man moment, a Thor moment, a Hulk moment, etc. we would have to see more "moments" that would just end up being too crazy. I really don't know how they can replicate the perfect timing of this movie with even MORE characters (without dropping a few), but it will be interesting to see them try. My only realy problem with the Avengers is that they continue to focus too much on Iron Man to the point where it felt like Iron Man and the Avengers. This is Captain America's team and he hardly got any screen time in comparison. Not saying its a real bad thing, just something that kind of irks me as a comic fan. At least we get to see him bark out orders ("Hulk... Smash" in particular).