PDA

View Full Version : June 1 has no meaning this year

Superchop 7
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
June 1 Has No Meaning On This Year’s NFL Calendar
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2009, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Last night, we posted an item asking folks to suggest potential topics for this week’s round of PFTV segments.

A couple of you asked for us to review the potential June 1 cuts this year.

We can do that right here, right now: None.

June 1 became an important date during the first decade under the salary cap system because it allowed a team to spread any cap hit arising from the remaining signing bonus allocation over two years. (It wasn’t a 50-50 thing; instead, the team absorbed the allocation for the current year in the current year and all remaining allocation the next year.)

The 2006 amendments to the Collective Bargaining Agreement allowed teams to cut up to two players per year before June 1, but to process the transaction as a post-June 1 event. This allowed teams to put guys on the market earlier in the offseason — and also to keep them out of the offseason program, during which a player could suffer a severe injury and be entitled to his full base salary if unable to play that season.

For 2009, the entire remaining allocation hits the cap when the player is released, regardless of whether the move comes before or after June 1.

So the date means nothing this year, and any moves made thereafter will have only a coincidental relationship to the fact that the calendar says “June.”

Ravage!!!
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
damn... I always looked forward to that 'one more date' to keep an eye out for during the offseason.

Slick
05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
That sucks.

I'm still hoping there'll be a defensive lineman not good enough to make someone else's club that will end up helping us this year.

Lonestar
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I suspect there may be a few folks let go that are now expendable after the draft happened and most teams had a chance to bring the UDFA and rookies in to eye ball them.. I also suspect there may be a few roster bonuses that may be due soon..

also IIRC that clause was limited to one player unless that has been changed also.. it was put in to allow some of the vets to make changes by shopping themselves before the draft..

Any way there will be more cuts over the next few months as we get to TC ..

Superchop 7
05-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Time for a 500 lb Sumo wrestler. They don't cost much and can fill two gaps at the same time.

Slick
05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Time for a 500 lb Sumo wrestler. They don't cost much and can fill two gaps at the same time.

I came real close to posting a picture of three of them in the "Who would you have drafted" thread.

rcsodak
05-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Can't you come up with an original idea?

I patented that idea LOOOOOONG ago..... :D