PDA

View Full Version : Second best rookie WR...

SmilinAssasSin27
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sure this will get moved, but until it does, who do you think will be the second best WR from this rookie class (assuming, whether you agree or not, that Crabtree will be #1). Last year, there was no WR taken until round 2 and most raised their eyebrows when Avery's name was called. He didn't disappoint Rams fans though. And although the big WRs like Kelly, Sweed and Thomas were highly touted, it is quite safe to say that the little guys were clearly tops...Avery, Royal and Jackson.

So who do you think will end up being a stud in this class?

Britt
Maclin
Nicks
Harvin
Heyward-Bey
someone else????

MOtorboat
05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I hope its Britt, because I just took him in my sim-league draft...

Slick
05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm inclined to say Harvin. I don't think any of them are going to be great right away.

The way you started this thread makes me believe it could be a fantasy pick for you... his versatility will be an asset.

MOtorboat
05-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm inclined to say Harvin. I don't think any of them are going to be great right away.

The way you started this thread makes me believe it could be a fantasy pick for you... his versatility will be an asset.

My thoughts exactly...

Britt is going to be the No. 2 or No. 3 in Tennessee and Fisher loves the dude...plus he's got a decent QB. Honestly...with either Rosenfels or Jackson throwing to him, I wouldn't touch Harvin...

JKcatch724
05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
This year? Nicks...

But a couple of years down the road I say Ramses Barden.

Hawgdriver
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Quinn...:cool: :tee:

BroncoWave
05-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm inclined to go with Nicks.

ikillz0mbies
05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Ramses Barden!!!

Buff
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Nicks is a stud. He's going to a good team with a veteran QB... I like his chances.

shank
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
i think it's a tossup between nicks and maclin. nicks gets the edge because he'll be a more important WR target immediately, but both have good qbs. but i think maclin is talented enough to compete with nicks for best rook wr.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j73/shawshank24/TheNicksNeon.jpg

honz
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Kenny McKinley, bitches.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-15-2009, 09:07 AM

I have the #1 overall...it'll be Moreno. I was just wondering what you all thought. We all had our opinions about these guys pre-draft, but now they have been assigned a team and sometimes the team/supporting cast changes things. I love Maclin, but Philly already has one of him in Jackson. Reid likes to pass, but how long will he be there? McNabb looks to be gne w/in 2 years as well.

I'm thinking Nicks myself. He has the body that reminds me of Boldin and has made some great catches in his college career.

Funny no one said DHB...

T.K.O.
05-15-2009, 09:28 AM
jauquin iglesias ?the bears didnt get a pick until rd 3 and he was there 2nd,meaning they must plan to use this guy in a hurry and no matter how we feel about " the player"

he has done well at getting the most out of young recievers ( see brandon marshall & eddie royal ) and chicago has very limited options at reciever so he might see alot of playing time in a hurry.
just a thought....he may not be a #1 guy but could be a great sleeper pick:salute:
p.s. he had almost identical combine #s to marshall he's not as big but a physical 6'1 " 21o pounder ,the bears also drafted johnny knox , a little speedster like royal,maybe lovie is gonna try and implement some shanahanisms into the playbook to make jay feel at home?

SmilinAssasSin27
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
There are quite a few interesting WRs out there. The 2 guys from Penn State are the smallish, quick types who both will get a chance. Derrick Williams in Detroit and Deon Butler in Seattle. Butler is FAST. Mike Wallace (Ole Miss-Steelers) and Mike Thomas (Arizona-Jags) are also very intriguing to me.

BroncoWave
05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
There are quite a few interesting WRs out there. The 2 guys from Penn State are the smallish, quick types who both will get a chance. Derrick Williams in Detroit and Deon Butler in Seattle. Butler is FAST. Mike Wallace (Ole Miss-Steelers) and Mike Thomas (Arizona-Jags) are also very intriguing to me.

Wallace only got picked that high because of his 40 time. I've seen him play in person multiple times. He's not that good. He's a good KR/PR but that's about all.

Slick
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Take a guy that might get you return yardage too Smilin'.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
seriously...it's not a fantasy question. I'm actually pretty solid at WR w/ BMarsh, Royal, Roddy White, Avery and Kevin Walter.

EMB6903
05-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I like Hakeem Nicks, I think hes the 2nd most polished WR out of the bunch. Kid has just got to keep his wieght down and he will be a great player in this league.. Im also a big fan of Percy Harvin, IMO he has the most upside of any WR in this class.

DenBronx
05-16-2009, 12:49 PM
jauquin iglesias ?the bears didnt get a pick until rd 3 and he was there 2nd,meaning they must plan to use this guy in a hurry and no matter how we feel about " the player"

he has done well at getting the most out of young recievers ( see brandon marshall & eddie royal ) and chicago has very limited options at reciever so he might see alot of playing time in a hurry.
just a thought....he may not be a #1 guy but could be a great sleeper pick:salute:
p.s. he had almost identical combine #s to marshall he's not as big but a physical 6'1 " 21o pounder ,the bears also drafted johnny knox , a little speedster like royal,maybe lovie is gonna try and implement some shanahanisms into the playbook to make jay feel at home?

i agree with this. iglesias is a possesion type wr and i think he will be thrown into action right away. very good pickup for the bears.

royal was the best rookie because he had cutler throwing to him. cutler only makes wr's better so i expect eglesias will look like a 1st day pick.

Devilspawn
05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Crabtree won't have the best numbers out of the rookies. Maclin will.

The second place rookie wideout I think will be relied on heavily in the second half as he establishes himself... NYG's Ramses Barden. Without a potential threat right now at wideout or tight end for Big Blue, I can see Barden stepping up. He's 6'6" and huge. I see him getting about 800-900 yards, 8-9 TDs.

I pick Crabtree and Bey to be third and fourth on the list respectively, neck and neck in TDs but separated by about 300 yards receiving. Iglesias should be around here too.

omac
05-18-2009, 02:12 AM
For this season, I'll say Darius Hayward-Bey. Jaws seemed to think he's a really good WR, and a heavy rushing attack by a talented group of RBs in Oakland should set up the deep pass quite nicely.

For a young player like JaMarcus who hasn't fully acclimated himself to reading defenses, the deep pass will actually be a safer option, as long as they use the run to set it up. He'll either overthrow them or hit them, no need to worry about placing the ball in between coverage, where he'll have a greater likelihood of getting picked off. He's got the arm, and Hayward-Bey has the speed.

(added) The situation could be similar to what Flacco did in Baltimore last season. They ran the ball well, and it set up some deep passes for him.

Bad Intentions
05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Percy Harvin will be the best his rookie season. Minn will do everything they can to get the ball to him which will mean some short throws and allow him to make moves after the catch. I can easily see him going for 70 catches and 1100 yards with 6 or 7 TDs.

After that, it's a toss up between Nicks, Britt, and Maclin. Nicks should get the opportunities but the Giants are a pound'em team. Britt is in a similar situation, but he has Rod Smith vouching for him and training him so that goes a long way in my book. Maclin will get some single coverage b/c the Eagles have some good options besides him. I think they hit the jackpot with him. IMO, he is a better long term player than Boldin, plus he is A LOT cheaper. Sure, Boldin's style would have been the better contrast to DeSean Jackson, but Maclin is more explosive and he is an extremely smart player.

T.K.O.
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Kenny McKinley (WR)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 189
College: South Carolina
Conference: SEC
Hometown: Mableton, GA
High School: South Cobb
View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 4.44 seconds
Vertical Jump : 37.0 inches
Broad Jump : 113.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 6.96 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.1 seconds

Choose Wide Receivers Britt, Kenny Crabtree, Michael Harvin, Percy Heyward-Bey, Darrius Maclin, Jeremy Nicks, Hakeem Selected by: Denver Broncos
Round: 5
Pick (Overall): 5 (141)
Discuss Pick Analysis: The former Gamecock is a productive slot receiver with outstanding quickness. McKinley is a polished route-runner with good hands, and he'll give the Broncos another athletic receiver to add to their spread formations.
Overview
The Gamecocks struggled mightily without McKinley in the lineup for a three-game stretch in 2008, when he was clearly the team's most indispensable player. Called the best receiver he has ever coached, head coach Steve Spurrier had more than enough evidence to back up that statement.

McKinley's production stands out, especially when the Gamecocks' instability at quarterback is factored into his output. He set school career records for receptions and receiving yards, while also closing out his career second on the school's all-time touchdown catches list.

McKinley placed his name in the Southeastern Conference record books. His 207 receptions placed third in conference annals, becoming just the fifth SEC player to amass more than 200 catches in a career. He also became the 12th player in league history to record more than 2,700 receiving yards (2,781).

omahacolt
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
i think deon butler is going to be a very good player in this league.