PDA

View Full Version : Defense: An Attacking Mindset

WARHORSE
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With all of the changes the Broncos have undergone this offseason, much of the talk has been about the installation of a new offensive system brought by Head Coach Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591).
But the defense is undergoing plenty of changes as well.
McDaniels confirmed before the draft that the defensive side of the ball is transitioning to a 3-4 alignment. That means right off the bat that the team will have a nose tackle position and there are going to be a group of hybrid defensive end/linebackers on the roster.
McDaniels said that first-round draft pick Robert Ayers (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9871), Tim Crowder (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7253), Elvis Dumervil (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5911), Jarvis Moss (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7252) and Darrell Reid (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9698) are part of that hybrid group.
Moss, for one, said he's extremely excited about the way the new position allows him to utilize his speed and athleticism.
"I think this is something I could have been -- and maybe should have been -- doing since I got into the league," he said. "But this is a whole new chapter for me. This 3-4 defense, you know a lot of teams were looking for me to be a 3-4 player when I was coming out, so I'm excited about it. It will give me a chance to show that I'm versatile, and kind of a new beginning. I get to start all over with the new staff and coach in here."
What it means for some of the bigger defensive linemen is that they will have to start transitioning from a one-gap assigment to a two-gap. Essentially that means the nose tackle, for example, can either go to the left or right of the center, rather than being assigned to one gap or the other.
"In the two-gap, you have a little bit of freedom," Marcus Thomas (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7256) said, demonstrating some of his juking ability. "That's what I like -- just get up field, make plays in the backfield and create havoc."
Thomas said he has gained some weight to try to fit the mold of a nose tackle, a position where he feels he could excel because of his athleticism.
Ronald Fields is another candidate for the nose tackle position. He played under Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9625) at San Francisco, so he said he has a little bit of an edge because he knows how Nolan wants the defense to be played.
"It's not really the usual 3-4," Fields explained. "It's an attack 3-4, it's like an offensive mindset. Some people play the 3-4 different, they're more like sit back and wait. But as far as us, we attack. It's kind of mixed-up with a 4-3. There are a lot of good things in there for linemen instead of just sitting there and catching the blocker and being passive and waiting."
It's that attacking style that has players at all positions excited about the defensive prospects for the 2009 season.
Wesley Woodyard (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8678) said it was shocking at first to see former defensive linemen like Crowder and Dumervil floating back with the linebackers, but once he saw how well they've been adapting, he realized the type of dangers they present to opposing offenses.
"It's an exciting defense -- it allows the players to run around and basically do something that was back in the day, and that's just having fun," Woodyard said. "I think that's what our defense is based on -- having fun, flying around and making plays."
So the transition to the attacking 3-4 could help breathe some life into the defense. But McDaniels was quick to point out that he and the rest of the coaching staff are always evaluating players, and they will work to put everyone in the best position possible, even if that means altering the scheme.
"If we get to any week in the season, ever, and we don't feel comfortable with the 3-4 or what we did last week on offense or what we did last week on the punt team, we're changing it," he said. "So if that means you're going to look out there and see five defensive linemen, you may see five. We're going to do whatever we feel every week is in the best interest of beating that team."
Moss said the players respect the fact that their head coach is willing to see what they do best and find ways to utilize those skills on the football field.
"I think that's awesome to coach like that," he said. "It lets your players be more comfortable with what they're doing as opposed to making a guy do something that he's not so comfortable with or used to doing, or can't get his job done as well. I think it's awesome to coach this defense the way that they coach it.
"It's pretty sweet."

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=football&cdn=sports&tm=5&gps=92_101_1020_563&f=22&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//denverbroncos.com/

nevcraw
05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I am very interested and excited to see if the scheme change and a few new names will put this defense back into respectability.. I for one was so tired of no picks, very few sacks and no week to week continuity.. Hopefully they wont change up so much that no one can used to their roles..

T.K.O.
05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
thats the coolest thing ive heard all offseason !
i,m stoked for camp,i hope moss does make a smooth transition to the new scheme,maybe he already impressed mcD and thats another good reason to draft as he did !!!!

T.K.O.
05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
Jarvis Moss spent most of his first two years at Florida battling injuries and medical problems. He didn't get an opportunity to start for Florida until 2005 and was highly effective; however, his junior season (2006) his stock began to soar. Moss has a tremendous upside and playmaker potential as a pass rusher off the edge. He displays a quick burst off the edge, which allows him to set up wide of the tackle and easily shed the block to disrupt the quarterback. His quickness and agility allows him to slide down the line of scrimmage in pursuit of the ball carrier. Moss has the ability to drop into coverage based in athleticism and natural instincts. He will clearly need to bulk up to compete as an every down defensive end at the next level. Moss also lacks the upper body strength of most defensive linemen, thus often has difficulty shedding offensive linemen once engaged. He needs to develop additional pass rushing moves and avoid his dependency to beat his opponents on sheer speed alone. Moss is probably better suited to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme to showcase his athleticism and playmaking abilities. Moss's stock is extremely high at this point after a sensational performance in the National Championship game, which should place him in the first round. Moss could go as high as a mid first round pick, but should definitely be gone by the second round.

Superchop 7
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
So impressed that he wanted to deal him for a 7th rd pick.

Keep drinking the kool aid.

T.K.O.
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
marcus thomas
might prove to be better than we thought as well

Athletically, he has the measurables and production of a first rounder, potentially about Amobi Okoye. But his off-field issues merited him a Day 2 selection to the Denver Broncos.

These [character] issues aside, Thomas is a phenomenal player on the field. He posted 4 sacks in the 5 games before the suspension (and remember, he is a DT not a DE pass rusher). He played at below 300 lbs. but would likely stay at his current 315 lb. range because Bates likes big space-eating Defensive Tackles. His upside is huge, but at the great cost of his downside (off-field incidents). If he is able to keep himself together, he could have the biggest impact of all our draftees in 2007 and beyond.

Shazam!
05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
An attack mode is something we haven't seen in Denver since 2005. The laid back BS of the past few years was infuriating to watch. Seeing CBs so far away in coverages was nauseating. Its a gamble and they'll get beat here and there, but they'll also make the gamble half the time too if it's effective half the time.

Lonestar
05-14-2009, 10:03 PM
An attack mode is something we haven't seen in Denver since 2005. The laid back BS of the past few years was infuriating to watch. Seeing CBs so far away in coverages was nauseating. Its a gamble and they'll get beat here and there, but they'll also make the gamble half the time too if it's effective half the time.

if they get burnt from time to time, who cares because we were toast for most of the year last year in the bendover defense slowitt was using.:laugh:

if we can force some turn overs that should make up for some the crap we might give up..

We have not had an aggressive Defense since the orange crush in the late 70's..

certainly not since mikey came to town..

Hawgdriver
05-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Talk is cheap but I like it all the same.

WARHORSE
05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, the Broncos defensive players seem upbeat about it.

Now if we can actually get some things done defensively that would be a very lovely day in the park, eh mates?:coffee:

:confused:

gregbroncs
05-15-2009, 12:00 AM
if they get burnt from time to time, who cares because we were toast for most of the year last year in the bendover defense slowitt was using.:laugh:

if we can force some turn overs that should make up for some the crap we might give up..

certainly not since mikey came to town..Williams was a D-coordinator who liked to attack. That is why Shanahan did not keep him around.

Shazam!
05-15-2009, 12:02 AM

certainly not since mikey came to town..

The Super Broncos were definitely an attacking defense.

Magnificent Seven
05-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Bring the Orange Crush Back!

Lonestar
05-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Williams was a D-coordinator who liked to attack. That is why Shanahan did not keep him around.

Sorry do not remember a williams as a coach..

MHCBill
05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Yea, yea, yea... like usual, the players are excited about this defense and what it allows them to do.

Same words were spoken when Bates came in. Same words were spoken when Slowick took over. Same words are spoken when Nolan takes over.

I'm tired of hearing from the defensive players every off-season. Show me results on the field.

Maybe one time a defensive player could say, "I think we have the potential for some good things. Heck, we couldn't be much worse than last year, but truly time will tell. I want to see us perform on the field as a unit, more than talk about how much we like this or that."

T.K.O.
05-15-2009, 08:31 AM
coyer was a pretty aggressive dc, it will be interesting to see what he does with the giants D...hes definately got some weapons there.
i think our D will be much better this year.they just looked flat last season ,like they expected to suck....and.....did.
i remember thinking "oh crap we only have a 14 pt lead and theres still a whole quarter....our D is gonna blow it....and....they did !
i just hope they can keep the other teams in the 20 pt range.
then we have a legit shot at a record above .500:elefant:

Lonestar
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
coyer was a pretty aggressive dc, it will be interesting to see what he does with the giants D...hes definately got some weapons there.
i think our D will be much better this year.they just looked flat last season ,like they expected to suck....and.....did.
i remember thinking "oh crap we only have a 14 pt lead and theres still a whole quarter....our D is gonna blow it....and....they did !

yep coyer was great schemer when he had 3-4 days to plan.. making on the field adjustments to counter what the offense did just flat did not happen at half time..

DJ made a comment that the defense last season was made to feel like second class citizens.. I suspect having a REAL DC and coaches that do not totally cow-tow to the HC will put some swagger back into their step..

Not sure about the 8-8 season but if they accomplish just no blowouts, being prepared for each game, showing up to each game, then all in not lost..

WARHORSE
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM

I think its Indy that Coyer is working for now.

Hobe
05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
It all sounds great, but...

...wait and see!

However, I have trouble seeing how the Broncos defense could be handled worse then in the past 3 years.

Lonestar
05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

I could not fathom him getting a job in NYG..

Although TPA seems to ring a bell also..

T.K.O.
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM

right you are ,i dont know why i had the g-men on the brain

frauschieze
05-15-2009, 10:43 PM
War.....please forgive me for going off topic in your thread......

I read the thread title to be Defense: An Attacking Midget and I got really excited for a minute. :D

Tned
05-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Williams was a D-coordinator who liked to attack. That is why Shanahan did not keep him around.

Did you mean Robinson?

dogfish
05-16-2009, 12:16 AM
talk is cheap-- a hell of a lot cheaper than stud D-linemen and big, nasty linebackers. . . . you generally have to pay a high premium for those guys, either in terms of FA dollars or high draft picks. . . offseason fluff pieces, OTOH, cost very little. . . .

gobroncsnv
05-16-2009, 08:43 AM
coyer was a pretty aggressive dc

I actually liked Coyer, considering WHAT HE WAS GIVEN TO WORK WITH... Would have loved to have seen him with a decent Dline. 2005 had to be the best defense ever to have so few sacks... I wonder if we hit the record books.

LTC Pain
05-16-2009, 12:00 PM
From the movie Patton...."we will attack all day and attack all night. If we are not victorious let no one come back alive"