PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a head coaching job!!!!!!

tripleoption
05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
After 12 years of coaching HS football I finally get a shot at a head job. Our HC resigned today and I was told that I'll be moved into the HC spot effective immediately. I guess I get to see what I'm made of. I've been DC for five years here, with a total of nine years varsity DC experience. I hope it pays off. Our old HC did a great job of turning this program around. I hope I can just get it to the next level now. The rest of the staff is staying with me, so there will be a smooth transition. The only thing I plan to change is the offense. I guess I"ll find out if I have what it takes. :shocked:

MOtorboat
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Congrats man, hope it works out for you.

Time to win some games!

Buff
05-13-2009, 07:48 PM
That's awesome T.O.

What kind of an offense are you going to transition to? (You're going to run the option I presume. :D) Are you in a position to compete for the playoffs this year?

NameUsedBefore
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Finally got a head job

Totally misread this.

Skinny
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Congratulations and the best of luck.

tripleoption
05-13-2009, 08:00 PM
That's awesome T.O.

What kind of an offense are you going to transition to? (You're going to run the option I presume. :D) Are you in a position to compete for the playoffs this year?

You hit the nail on the head. We've been a multiple offensive team the past five years. Inside zone, outside zone, counters, traps, lots of passing, multiple formations. I'm going to change to a triple option offense next year. Over my years as a DC, the one type of offense I always hated defending was a well run true triple option offense. I got my butt kicked several times with it. I figure if I can't defend it I'll run it. I don't know if we'll be all that good next year yet. We could go anywhere from 2-7 to 7-2. I kinda think we'll be on the lower end of that guess. If we have a good year we'll be 4-5 I'm thinking. I'm kinda like Lou Holtz in a way. Everyone is better than us. :lol:

SR
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Totally misread this.

That makes two of us.

tripleoption
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Totally misread this.

That makes two of us.

Hmmmm...guess I shoulda come up with a better name for this thread....:rolleyes:

frauschieze
05-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Congrats! Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do well.

Nomad
05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Congrats triple! :beer:

chazoe60
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Congrats man. Good luck, unless you're playing Riflle High School of course.;)

NightTrainLayne
05-14-2009, 09:55 AM
That's great. Good luck! Keep us updated.

Buff
05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Congrats man. Good luck, unless you're playing Riflle High School of course.;)

The Bears suck. Go Bulldogs. ;)

underrated29
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
That makes two of us.

three.

Ravage!!!
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Totally misread this.

so did I..... and I was really going to give him a pat on the back!

Requiem / The Dagda
05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Congratulations, and good luck. Can't thank you enough for that wonderful book! Bests and all the success for you in the future!

OB
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Congrats!!!!!!! :beer:

But you should have known better than to title a thread that way at this place :D

D1g1tal j1m
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
If your looking for some help on your team I heard through Twitter that Nate Webster is available along with Tatum Bell.

Lonestar
05-14-2009, 04:26 PM
If your looking for some help on your team I heard through Twitter that Nate Webster is available along with Tatum Bell.

Congrats to you hope you win many years and move on to your real dream job..

nate as the equipment manager and tater will do communications for you..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

btw changed the thread title for you and moved it to ..HIGH school area where it really belongs..

*Atwater*
05-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats to you hope you win many years and move on to your real dream job..

nate as the equipment manager and tater will do communications for you..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

btw changed the thread title for you and moved it to ..HIGH school area where it really belongs..

Just make sure not to piss him off Tater or he will jack your s***.

:laugh:

BTW congrats on the gig. :beer:

tripleoption
05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Congrats!!!!!!! :beer:

But you should have known better than to title a thread that way at this place :D

Yeah, I gotta remember who I'm dealing with around here :laugh:

MOtorboat
05-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I liked it better when it said, "finally got a head job."

:coffee:

Dr Velcro
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm upset that you had to change the thread name.

:coffee:

LordTrychon
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Congrats, and best luck!

gnomeflinger
05-15-2009, 12:19 AM
TO, I liked the original title. :laugh:

Nomad
08-01-2009, 07:52 AM
How's things coming along triple! Did you start 2 a days yet or I guess it may start 2nd week in Aug?? Good luck and keep us updated!! :beer:

sneakers
08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
After 12 years of coaching HS football I finally get a shot at a head job. Our HC resigned today and I was told that I'll be moved into the HC spot effective immediately. I guess I get to see what I'm made of. I've been DC for five years here, with a total of nine years varsity DC experience. I hope it pays off. Our old HC did a great job of turning this program around. I hope I can just get it to the next level now. The rest of the staff is staying with me, so there will be a smooth transition. The only thing I plan to change is the offense. I guess I"ll find out if I have what it takes. :shocked:

I hope the offense you use is true to your name.....I love the triple option.

topscribe
08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Hmmmm...guess I shoulda come up with a better name for this thread....:rolleyes:

Well, some of us are thinking football.

But others . . . :laugh:

-----

tripleoption
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I hope the offense you use is true to your name.....I love the triple option.
You can bet that. We're running the spread option like Navy and Georgia Tech. Years ago I worked with a head coach who ran the wing T. I asked him why he ran it, and he said as a DC in California the one offense that gave him trouble was the wing T, so he figured if he couldn't defend it he'd run it. I feel the same way about the triple option. As a DC over the years I've struggled to defend the wishbone, the I option, and the splitback veer. I figure if I can't defend it, I'll run it. Plus I love the offense!

How's things coming along triple! Did you start 2 a days yet or I guess it may start 2nd week in Aug?? Good luck and keep us updated!! :beer: We had a two week camp that we just finished up last week. I focused on the offense since we're installing a new offensive system. For the past five years we've been a shotgun spread offense, so this is a bit different for the kids. Fewer plays, plus since we're reading our option it takes a LOT of work and you have to commit to it. So far we seem to be running it well. At this point of the summer I've installed veer, midline, trap, trap option, counter trap option, one play action pass, our sprintout passing game, three step drop game, and a counter boot. Still have two or three playaction passes to put in plus a screen. I also have one more run play to put in, and I"m trying to decide what it will be. It'll either be speed option or rocket. Speed option would take very little time to teach and install, but rocket may be a better play for us. Either way I'll put those in during two a days which start August 17th. I'm excited but nervous about the whole HC thing.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Thats great news!!

tripleoption
09-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Won big tonight 53-6. We were up 40-0 with three minutes left in the first half when I called off the dogs. We ended up with 244 yards passing and 233 yards rushing. That's the beauty of our offense, it spreads the defense horizontally and vertically. Defensively we held them to negative yards in the first half. We're a 50 team and I switched to a 46 look this week. It's very easy to do from a 50, and they couldn't block it, which is what I expected. They also just didn't have the athletes to match up with us, but I didn't expect this kind of result. Watching them on tape from last week defensively they looked pretty good actually. They just couldn't defend our option offense.

MOtorboat
09-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Congrats triple option!

The team I cover is 2-0 now. They look great. Set the school rushing mark for yards in a game last week with 426. One kid had five touchdowns, another school mark. They had 250 more tonight. Hardly throw at all, so they are going to have to get a little more creative with the playcalling, but the coach acknowledged that at the end of the game.

Nomad
09-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Congrats triple! The local HS game we went and watched last night had a total score of 83 pts. It was a good game with the home team up 27-10 at half then Grand Forks Central came back by the middle of the 3rd it was 27-30. Game ended 46-37 home team won.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Man... I ran that triple option since I was 12 years old all the way through HS. 20 years away from the game, and I can STILL do those steps in my sleep, and can still pitch the toss with the best of them :lol:

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Congrats triple! The local HS game we went and watched last night had a total score of 83 pts. It was a good game with the home team up 27-10 at half then Grand Forks Central came back by the middle of the 3rd it was 27-30. Game ended 46-37 home team won.

My daughters school was in 6 man football and I remember some real shoot outs one game the RB/WR had like 383 rushing yards before the 45'd them late in the second half.. it was against our bitter rival a larger school but we had a lot of horses that year..

final score was something like 82-35.. called in the middle of the 4th Quarter..

three of those kids went on to some D-2 and NAIA schools..