PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 NFL Wide Receivers

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Just got done watching some of those youtube videos to kill the time...and I'm baffled by what some people say.

They think Santana Moss is one of the top 10 receivers in the league??? WTF???

Lemme see your lists.......we can debate, agree, whatever you want.

As of TODAY, who make your list at Top-10 receivers in the NFL?

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Randy Moss

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Steve Smith

5. Calvin Johnson

6. Brandon Marshall

7. Andre Johnson

8. Terrell Owens

9. Anquan Boldin/Chad Johnson

10. Greg Jennings

Like my list? I want to hear some criticism AND I want to see your list :salute:

topscribe
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Looks pretty good, but I might be tempted to move Andre Johnson up two or three spots . . .

-----

BroncoWave
05-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Just got done watching some of those youtube videos to kill the time...and I'm baffled by what some people say.

They think Santana Moss is one of the top 10 receivers in the league??? WTF???

Lemme see your lists.......we can debate, agree, whatever you want.

As of TODAY, who make your list at Top-10 receivers in the NFL?

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Randy Moss

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Steve Smith

5. Calvin Johnson

6. Brandon Marshall

7. Andre Johnson

8. Terrell Owens

9. Anquan Boldin/Chad Johnson

10. Greg Jennings

Like my list? I want to hear some criticism AND I want to see your list :salute:

You have Andre Johnson waaaaayyyyyy too low. He is easily at least the 2nd best receiver in the league and I've heard some people who think he's the best.

My list would go like:

1. L. Fitzgerald

2. A. Johnson

3. S. Smith

4. R. Moss

5. R. Wayne

6. A. Boldin

7. Ca. Johnson

8. B. Marshall

9. R. White

10. T. Owens

Honorable mention: G. Jennings, D. Bowe, M. Colston, W. Welker

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2009, 12:36 AM
You have Andre Johnson waaaaayyyyyy too low. He is easily at least the 2nd best receiver in the league and I've heard some people who think he's the best.

Yea I totally agree. I think Andre Johnson is actually the best WR in the game today. He's pretty much tops in every category in comparison with the other elites: size, speed, strength, quickness, explosiveness, route running, hands, RAC. There isn't anything that guy isn't worse than great in any category for a Wr other than maybe some questionable health issues, and maybe not even that.

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 12:45 AM

My list would go like:

1. L. Fitzgerald

2. A. Johnson

3. S. Smith

4. R. Moss

5. R. Wayne

6. A. Boldin

7. Ca. Johnson

8. B. Marshall

9. R. White

10. T. Owens

Honorable mention: G. Jennings, D. Bowe, M. Colston, W. Welker

Lol there's no way he's better than Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss. Period.

Sure he has all the physical skills, but it's all about production. He's only had 3 1000 yard seasons in his 6 NFL seasons. Yeah that's pretty good, but Marshall has had 2 1000 yard seasons in 3 NFL seasons.

If we were going by physical skills, Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL hands down.........but we aren't.

Yea I totally agree. I think Andre Johnson is actually the best WR in the game today. He's pretty much tops in every category in comparison with the other elites: size, speed, strength, quickness, explosiveness, route running, hands, RAC. There isn't anything that guy isn't worse than great in any category for a Wr other than maybe some questionable health issues, and maybe not even that.

Calvin Johnson

6-5
239 lbs.
4.35 forty yard dash

It's not all about the physical tools........it's about production.

Andre Johnson is good, but I don't see him over the other guys.....except maybe Marshall.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Lol there's no way he's better than Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss. Period.

Sure he has all the physical skills, but it's all about production. He's only had 3 1000 yard seasons in his 6 NFL seasons. Yeah that's pretty good, but Marshall has had 2 1000 yard seasons in 3 NFL seasons.

If we were going by physical skills, Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL hands down.........but we aren't.

Calvin Johnson

6-5
239 lbs.
4.35 forty yard dash

It's not all about the physical tools........it's about production.

Andre Johnson is good, but I don't see him over the other guys.....except maybe Marshall.

Johnson > Moss and Wayne. Period. Some can argue Moss is a one catch wonder and Welker is the best "WR" on that team. Remember, " it isn't all about physical tools" like you said.

As far as Calvin Johnson, that's a joke. AJ is just as fast, quicker, just as strong, has better hands, is better after the catch, and runs better routes than Johnson. Period.

You wanna argue "production"? Argue AJ's, one of the most productive WR's in the league year in and year out.

ikillz0mbies
05-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I think Andre Johnson would've had much more 1,000+ yard seasons if he had a QB who wasn't eating turf each and every play.....

Tempus Fugit
05-11-2009, 01:04 AM
1. Randy Moss

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Calvin Johnson

5. Terrell Owens

6. Steve Smith

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Anquan Boldin

9. Chad Johnson

10. Greg Jennings

Honorable mentions:

Welker, Marshall and White all have questions marks which keep them out of the top 10 in my mind, but I could see a convincing argument being made for each one of them. There are also a couple of sleepers that I could see rising up, and Chad Johnson's a bit iffy for me at #9. I'm keeping him there because I'm going on the notion that last year was largely due to the QB problem.

I also expect that Calvin Johnson will be the league's best receiver in 1-2 years if his quarterback doesn't ruin it for him. It could happen as early as this year if Culpepper can stay upright.

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Johnson > Moss and Wayne. Period. Some can argue Moss is a one catch wonder and Welker is the best "WR" on that team. Remember, " it isn't all about physical tools" like you said.

As far as Calvin Johnson, that's a joke. AJ is just as fast, quicker, just as strong, has better hands, is better after the catch, and runs better routes than Johnson. Period.

You wanna argue "production"? Argue AJ's, one of the most productive WR's in the league year in and year out.

I just did argue production.

Andre Johnson has 3 1000 yard receiving seasons in 6 seasons.

Brandon Marshall has 2 1000 yard receiving seasons in 3 seasons.

Reggie Wayne has 5 1000 yard receiving seasons in 5 seasons.

Randy Moss has 9 1000 yard receiving seasons in 11 seasons.

That's your opinion regarding Andre Johnson being more physically gifted than Calvin Johnson, which I disagree with because Calvin Johnson is the biggest freak to come into the NFL for a very very very long time.

Moss a one catch wonder :lol: I stopped taking you seriously when you said that. Randy Moss is arguably one of the best receivers in NFL history. Period. Try arguing that...

Look, all I'm trying to do is justify my opinion as to why Andre Johnson isn't in the top 4....but he probably should be ahead Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson on my list if it makes you feel any better.

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 01:07 AM
I think Andre Johnson would've had much more 1,000+ yard seasons if he had a QB who wasn't eating turf each and every play.....

Calvin Johnson has over 2000 receiving yards in his first two years with the Detroit Lions. Bad excuse......

(Don't bring up the "they had Jon Kitna" stuff :lol:)

Italianmobstr7
05-11-2009, 03:55 AM
1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Andre Johnson

3. Steve Smith

4. Brandon Marshall

5. Randy Moss

6. Calvin Johnson

7. Terrell Owens

8. Reggie Wayne

9. Chad Ocho Cinco

10. Anquan Boldin

Honorable Mention: Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Hines Ward

NameUsedBefore
05-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Larry Fitzgerald is overrated.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I just did argue production.

Andre Johnson has 3 1000 yard receiving seasons in 6 seasons.

Brandon Marshall has 2 1000 yard receiving seasons in 3 seasons.

Reggie Wayne has 5 1000 yard receiving seasons in 5 seasons.

Randy Moss has 9 1000 yard receiving seasons in 11 seasons.

That's your opinion regarding Andre Johnson being more physically gifted than Calvin Johnson, which I disagree with because Calvin Johnson is the biggest freak to come into the NFL for a very very very long time.

Moss a one catch wonder :lol: I stopped taking you seriously when you said that. Randy Moss is arguably one of the best receivers in NFL history. Period. Try arguing that...

Look, all I'm trying to do is justify my opinion as to why Andre Johnson isn't in the top 4....but he probably should be ahead Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson on my list if it makes you feel any better.

Yea, Moss sure excels at catching the intermediate and physical routes over the middle doesn't he, the routes even Belichek said they keep away from Moss because he doesn't work the middle of the field very well, but nevermind that in arguing complete package for a WR. Nobody's saying he isn't one of the best in the game, but he is a one trick pony, and anybody who's followed him throughout his career doesn't need stats to bring that up.

I quit taking you seriously when you said physical tools aren't the only thing that matters, "it's production too", like AJ hasn't had production his entire career or something, while being constantly double teamed his entire career and having no oline or QB to get him the ball.

"Look, I'm just trying to justify my opinion" as to why I think AJ is the best in the game. If you want to sit here and argue opinions all day we might as well give it up now. Looks like from some of the other opinions I'm far from being the only one with the opinions about AJ.

Andre Johnson has had 1 season in 6 years where he wasn't put up Pro Bowl numbers and a mere "very good" year from him as a rookie where he was 25 yards short of 1000, and you bring up "production" along with physical skills like the guy hasn't produced or something.

I also find it ironic that you you argue "production along with physical skills", and then continue to put down Chad Johnson at #9, probably because he has a down year this year. Nevermind his skill set and the fact that he's put up HoF type numbers throughout his entire career if he can continue at his current pace for a few more seasons.

omac
05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
All good lists; a lot depends on what traits someone will characterize as best ... yards, TDs, versatility, consistency, dominance, clutch, durability; also very dependent on the QB, OL, and team's overall offense.

When Tom Brady plays, there is no doubt that Randy Moss is the most dominating receiver in the league, and he has the season TD record to prove it.

Andre Johnson plays spectacular the rare times he and Schaub are healthy. :D It's amazing what Calvin Johnson can do, and that's with the QBs and offense they had in Detroit.

Throughout last season, different receivers took turns in the limelight, with Marshall getting the headlines early, Andre Johnson later, Antonio Bryant was playing excellent late, then Fitz was getting all the headlines coming into the playoffs and the superbowl.

Judging the best receivers, I look at clutch first, then dominance, durability, then consistency.

1st Tier
1. Calvin Johnson - Big, strong, fast, smart, quick, athletic, physical ... the most dominating receiver in the NFL; imagine what he could do with a good quarterback and a decent offense? :D
2. Randy Moss - when Brady is healthy.
3. Andre Johnson - when Schaub is healthy.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - when Warner decides to force the ball to him.
5. Terrell Owens - usually in the early to mid part of the season; his age may be catching up with him.

2nd Tier
6. Brandon Marshall - fights for every ball and every yard. The ball must be forced to him a lot too.
7. Anquan Boldin - similar to Marshall, but maybe with better hands. Marshall's the more creative athlete, though.
8. Steve Smith - he's like a superhuman version of Eddie Royal. Is even more productive, because of Delhomme's tunnel vision.
9. Plaxico Burress - a matchup nightmare and super clutch receiver, when his head isn't stuck up his ass. :D
10. Braylon Edwards - yeah, I know, he had a sucky season. He's got great ball skills. He just needs to get his confidence back, and Cleveland needs to stop playing in fear. It probably didn't help his psyche that Anderson would lay him out for defenders to pounce on. :D

omac
05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I forgot about Ocho Cinco, probably because he hasn't had a good season in 2 years. I expect a bounce back this season.

honz
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Calvin Johnson has over 2000 receiving yards in his first two years with the Detroit Lions. Bad excuse......

(Don't bring up the "they had Jon Kitna" stuff :lol:)

You said as of today, not over the past 6 years...as of last year Andre Johnson is definitely a top 5 reciever. I'd probably put him at #2 or 3.

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
You said as of today, not over the past 6 years...as of last year Andre Johnson is definitely a top 5 reciever. I'd probably put him at #2 or 3.

dude, that was in response to a poster making an excuse for Andre Johnson as to why he doesn't have more 1000 yard seasons.

All I was just saying was that don't make that excuse, it doesn't fly because good receivers make plays........and Calvin Johnson was on a shitty Detroit team last year yet led NFL wide receivers in receiving touchdowns and had 1300+ receiving yards last year.........and didn't he have like 4 QB's throwing him the ball throughout the season??

I don't get all the hype on Andre Johnson and people annointing him better than guys like Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, and Steve Smith. It baffles me. He's a great player, but not better than the three I mentioned.

underrated29
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
In no order really.

larry fitz
andre johnson
calvin johnson
randy moss
terrell ownes
steve smith
brandon marshall
braylon edwards
marques colston
lee evans

I base mine on pure skill, not numbers. Some of these WR have had terrible qbs and/or teams but still produce.

These WR WILL Always win 1 on 1, and Consistently win vs double teams. They are game changers, and must be accounted for on every play.

underrated29
05-11-2009, 11:04 AM
and whoever said that Larry fitz is overrated is way wrong!

Yeah, he got lots of publicity this year and for the playoffs, but he has been my fav wr in the nfl since he was drafted. He has TORN up the league ever since being drafted.

He also catches everything. I mean EVERYTHING! He will not drop a pass, and will make sure that he catches it, weather going back to the ball, jumping at the highest point, etc etc...He is also fast a shyt, and strong. There is nothing he cant do.

Its about time people start to recognize his skill set.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I think Andre Johnson is a bit over rated. I honestly dont' think he's better than Calvin Johnson in any way. Calvin has played for a better team, and had been just as productive without a QB.

Marshall did have Cutler, and Wayne has Manning.

I think I've just seen Andre Johnson disappear in too many games.... too many seasons.. to say he's a top 1-2 NFL receiver. I know he has the skills, and the ability.... but many WRs have produced with lesser QBs than he has had.

underrated29
05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I think Andre Johnson is a bit over rated. I honestly dont' think he's better than Calvin Johnson in any way. Calvin has played for a better team, and had been just as productive without a QB.

Marshall did have Cutler, and Wayne has Manning.

Thats why i left wayne off my list. I think he is awesome, but without manning i am not sure he would beat out those other players.

broncfn90
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
my list would go

Larry Fitzgerald.... the man can catch everything
Andre Johnson... this man does not get enough DAP!
Reggie Wayne... doing it without harrison last year was not easy but some how he comes out elite to me
Steve Smith...just a playmaker period
Brandon Marshall... the man his just a beast and did well last year knowing he had a bumed hand and hip
Randy Moss... one hit wonder last year and it seems the only thing he runs is stright
Calvin Johnson... riseing star for the lions? i thougot i would never see the day
Anquan Boldin... good player but if he does not watch it i see the next T.O in the making
Greg Jennings... Who? prob better then T.O
Terrell Owens... have you ever seen somebody with good talent but his respect is destroyed by his on the field and off the field crap

BroncoTech
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
my list would go
Marvin Harrison.... Peyton needs a go-to guy
Reggie Wayne... doing it without harrison last year was not easy but some how he comes out elite to me
Brandon Marshall... the man his just a beast and did well last year knowing he had a bumed hand and hip
Randy Moss... one hit wonder last year and it seems the only thing he runs is stright
Calvin Johnson... riseing star for the lions? i thougot i would never see the day
Anquan Boldin... good player but if he does not watch it i see the next T.O in the making

Hawgdriver
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
A lot of these guys we don't watch every weekend or just see highlight footage. What I did to rank them was to focus on their 2008 production but also take previous good seasons from 2000-2007 into account. The method to rank them was by statistical value to their team. Steve Smith ranks very highly because he's had two of the best statistical seasons in recent years, but his team does not throw the ball much. I used the PFR ACY/A and value charts (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=1345) as a guide.

Then I rearranged to suit my tastes for how I see things moving forward.

Steve Smith
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Randy Moss
Greg Jennings
Anquan Boldin
Terrell Owens

broncfn90
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
my list would go
Marvin Harrison.... Peyton needs a go-to guy

cute...

roomemp
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I think Wes Welker needs to be on this list. For the top 10 active players, His production has been off the charts the past 2 years

EMB6903
05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
1.Calvin Johnson
2.Larry Fitzgerald
3.Andre Johnson
4.Randy Moss
5.Steve Smith
6.Brandon Marshall
7.Reggie Wayne
8.Anquan Boldin
9.Greg Jennings
10.Chad Johnson/Braylon Edwards

Holmes,Royal, Bowe, Evans, Holt and Colston could be argued as top 10 worthy as well.

as for TO, I just think he has lost a step and cant put up the consistent numbers anymore.

underrated29
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Wes Welker needs to be on this list. For the top 10 active players, His production has been off the charts the past 2 years

i agree and disagree.

Welker, gets it done period. The man is a beast. and like you said his production is insane.

However, i also think he is more a product of the system then pure talent at WR. But stats are what the game is played on so he does merit consideration.

But in miami? st. louis? his stats werent terrific. They were good, but not top 10 good.

I like to think of a top 10 wide out as a game changer and someone who can take over a game, no matter the team. That i do not think he is.

Hawgdriver
05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
A lot of folks have left Roddy White off their lists, but he's one of the best in the league right now. His 4.5 ACY/A is second only to Steve Smith. Considering Ryan will have a year under his belt, White could have bigger things in store this year. He's significantly underrated.

omac
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
In no order really.

larry fitz
andre johnson
calvin johnson
randy moss
terrell ownes
steve smith
brandon marshall
braylon edwards
marques colston
lee evans

I base mine on pure skill, not numbers. Some of these WR have had terrible qbs and/or teams but still produce.

These WR WILL Always win 1 on 1, and Consistently win vs double teams. They are game changers, and must be accounted for on every play.

Yeah, I like your criterias for choosing. I'm not sold on Lee Evans and Colston, though.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Cleo Lem0n.

omac
05-11-2009, 08:17 PM

He's definitely a great slot guy, but I can't help but wonder if a lot of his effectiveness has to do with defenses focusing on Moss.

SM19
05-12-2009, 12:35 AM
The first person who actually puts Welker on one of these lists should be banned.

(Yes, I'm joking. A little.)

Hawgdriver
05-12-2009, 01:51 AM
The first person who actually puts Welker on one of these lists should be banned.

Welker isn't top ten. A 'possession' receiver is a nice complement to your playmakers, but is not a bona fide weapon on his own.

I'll use Welker and Randy Moss from 2007 as an example. Welker had a 58% first down ratio, Moss a 76% first down ratio. Moss is usually a first target because a play to Moss has more upside. Welker is usually (but not always) a secondary or third target. Welker's catch to target ratio is usually high. I don't have the numbers, but it's likely in 2007 his ratio was one of the highest ever, maybe 75%. Moss, who has a more boom or bust payoff, probably had a 60-65% catch to target ratio. First downs are a great measure of WR production. If you compare the first-down to target ratio of the two, for Welker you get 58% (first downs) * 75% (catches per target) for a 43.5% first down per target ratio. For Moss the number is 47%. Add to that comparison the fact that Moss gets an average of 1.5 more yards per target than Welker, his scoring production, the more difficult coverage and completion challenges he faced, and you can tell who the better WR is. Not that you needed this analysis to know that.

Welker is an elusive, scrappy WR who excels at being the short yardage back-up option, but he's not a premier WR.

weazel
05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
1. Jerry Porter
2. Darrius Heyward-Bey
3. Doug Gabriel
4. Arman Shields
5. Raghib Ismail
6. Ken-Yon Rambo
7. Jessie Hester
8. Tim Moffett
9. Johnnie Higgins
10. Jonathan Holland

those are the best receivers, by far... Al Davis told me so. Look at that list of wasted picks. :tsk:

topscribe
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM

1. Welker :D

-----

Hawgdriver
05-13-2009, 01:10 AM
1. Welker :D

-----

Since you're his agent, you have any inside dirt on McDaniels?