PDA

View Full Version : Iraq veteran trying to earn a job with Broncos

DenBronx
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9540362/Iraq-veteran-trying-to-earn-a-job-with-Broncos

There are many Broncos players who, after their freshman season of college ball, began to realize the NFL was not just possible, but probable.

Others may have been focusing on earning a promotion from backup to starter. Some may have been dealing with other issues, such as grades and girls.

If Rulon Davis doesn't make the Broncos' roster, it won't be because of any lack of toughness.

Rulon Davis went off to fight in the Iraq war.

Fight for his country, a far cry from the sports world, where Davis is currently competing, as an undrafted 25-year-old free-agent defensive end, for a spot on the Broncos' roster.

Adapt and overcome.

It's an inspirational edict U.S. Marines frequently say to each other. Yes, Davis witnessed death. Soldiers he considered friends were killed.

"Unfortunately, yes," he said. "They're the real heroes. Not me. People think, 'Wow, you did all this.' But I don't think it's that big of a deal because I didn't have to sacrifice my life, like some of these other guys. Really, the honor is on them."

Heroes come in many forms. Broncos defensive backs Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins are often considered heroes.

Davis has been considered a football hero, too, having started the past two years at the University of California. That was part of his new life, after his four-year commitment to the Marines and six-month tour in Iraq in 2004.

"That's serious. Marines are tough people, man," said Broncos rookie tight end Richard Quinn Jr. "My dad was one."

And Davis' football stardom at Cal would come after his motorcycle flipped on a Los Angeles freeway interchange and left him crawling, too late, in an attempted escape from under a rolling semi.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Davis, 6-feet-5 and 281 pounds, didn't play much high school football in Covina, Calif. So upon graduation he joined the Marine Corps reserves. He first got the idea after spending his eighth- and ninth-grade years at the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas.

"I fell in love with the corps," he said. "The structure, the discipline, the leadership traits. The routine of things. Organization. It was my thing. I liked it a lot. I wanted to live my life as a Marine."

He went through the Marines' rigorous training program, then served one weekend a month in the Marine reserves when he decided to also play football at Mount San Antonio Junior College in Walnut, Calif.

He had 16 1/2 sacks as a freshman. Davis still loved the Marines, but now he also loved playing football. And Pac-10 schools scouted him, and offered a scholarship. The Marines would make one more call, however, to go to Iraq.

"I wanted to get back as soon as I possibly could to start playing football again," Davis said. "But I had to do my job. I signed the contract, and I like to honor my commitment."

Davis does not give specifics of his tour of duty. When asked, he politely asked to change the subject. Civilians who have never served can only understand they will never understand.

"It's tough," he said. "I think about it all the time."

Brought up right
America can only imagine how most 20-something men start their day, but Davis begins by making his bed. His father, Lorenzo, served a four-year commitment in the Marines from 1971-75. If Semper Fidelis didn't run through Rulon's blood the day he was born in San Diego, the Latin expression meaning "Always Faithful" was ingrained while he attended the Marine Military Academy in Texas.

Lorenzo didn't push the military school upon his son but said his son knew right from wrong before he went off to military school.

"It wasn't my decision; it was his decision," Lorenzo said. "We talked about it for about three months. It was hard letting him go; he was only 13 years old. But I felt if a young man wants to get out in the world, this was a great way to do it. And this would teach him some character traits he might not learn if he stayed at home."

Davis said long after football, he will keep his hair short, his face shaven. He will take a jog each day.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

In another sense, the Marines are always with Davis, in the way he acts, the way he carries himself.

"The way he speaks, he's very correct, proper," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He treats everybody with a great deal of respect. He listens, asks good questions. Sits up in his chair, always attentive, those types of things. You can tell he was brought up the right way."

Davis returned from the war safely, only to endure a near-death experience a few months later while riding his motorcycle. He was exiting off one busy L.A. highway onto another when the car behind him tapped his bike. The collision sped him uncontrollably forward into the rear bumper of a midsized truck in front. The bike flipped, and Davis flew.

Airborne, Davis landed beneath an adjacent semi. Fortunately, Davis was wearing his helmet, which was dented in the front. But there was still the matter of this semi.

"I knew I was about to die if I didn't move," Davis said.

He tried to crawl out of the way, but the semi continued to roll, right over his calves.

Davis suffered some internal tissue damage and spent a month in and out of a hospital because of swelling. And while his return to his sophomore football season at Mount San Antonio was out, he did not have any broken bones.

Major-college football is a competitive business. Before Davis had completely healed, he had pledged his allegiance to the Cal Bears, who didn't forget about his 16 ˝ sacks before he left for Iraq, and before the motorcycle accident.

3-4 looks familiar
Davis voluntarily enlisted in the Marines, but he thought he would be drafted — into the NFL. It didn't happen. San Francisco, Jacksonville and the New York Giants all communicated their interest in the days leading up to the draft. But after the draft ended, Davis chose the Broncos instead because they are converting to a 3-4 defense.

"I don't even care about that anymore," Davis said of not getting drafted. "I'm happy I'm with this team. I'm trying to make this team right now and that's where my focus is."

Turns out, Cal is one of the few major-college programs to play a 3-4. And Davis became the only pure "5-technique" defensive end the Broncos took last week, either in the draft or as a free agent.

Maybe he isn't such an underdog to make the Broncos after all. Not with his experience as a 3-4 end. Not with all he's been through. The challenge of going from undrafted free agent to a 53-man roster? Puh-leze.

"Nothing's came easy in my life as you can see," Davis said. "I've had to work for everything. Hard work is not something that's unfamiliar to me."

Copyright 2009 The Denver Post All Rights Reserved

Tned
05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Uh Oh, last time Rulon and this story came up, we wound up with a three person cat fight. Hold on to your keyboards...

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I hope that he makes the team. I doubt that he does.

BroncoJoe
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
One of my all time favorite unsung hero's was Rulon Jones. Let's hope this Rulon makes a mark.

Dean
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
One of my all time favorite unsung hero's was Rulon Jones. Let's hope this Rulon makes a mark.

I think that he already has.

BroncoJoe
05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I think that he already has.

Touche.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Great story, below average football player.

Hawgdriver
05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Great story, below average football player.

= average starter on Broncos D-line...:tsk:

I hope the game is not too big for him at this level. I would love to see him succeed.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
As would I, but I worry about his ability to be healthy. I certainly can't question his will power or desire, but he has had a history of injuries and wasn't able to complete a full season of college. I'd like to see this kid be the 3-4 defensive end we need; but I'm not so sure he can be. Even when he was healthy, he didn't dominate in the PAC-10. His attitude is wonderful though. I'm glad we got a great person like him. It'd be super awesome to see him break through for us.

topscribe
05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Posted with permission from MileHighReport.com (http://www.milehighreport.com/)

Tales from the SunnySide: Rulon Davis

by broncobear on May 10, 2009 5:09 AM MST in 2009 Re-Loading Season

via imgs.sfgate.com

Here's what you probably know about Rulon Davis. If you've been reading at all about him, you probably know that he was a Marine in the Iraqi conflict. He was in a fire zone, fought for his country, and came home.

He went to Cal (University of California) and is a defensive lineman. He survived a near-fatal motorcycle accident when his bike was struck from behind by a car and Rulon slid under a truck, which ran over his legs. And, famously, he was named after legendary Denver Broncos football player Rulon Jones, he of the 129 games with 52.5 official sacks. It's a lot of live up to.

Here's what you might not know about him; Davis always wanted to be a Marine. At 13 years old, he chose to attend a prep military academy. Davis went to the Marine Military Academy in Texas, before continuing on to Charter Oak High School, where he became a star football player. After leaving high school, Rulon immediately joined the Marine Corps, where he stayed for three years, (the Denver Post says four years) including that 6-month tour of duty in Iraq. He's Semper Fi all the way. One thing that his teammates at Cal talked about, in addition to his courage and fierce style of play, is that he's famous for his vocalizations, giving voice to massive grunts of exertion and loud battle cries when on the playing field. Rulon brings his all to his country, to his sport and to his life. He describes his own style of play as 'aggressive, tenacious and smart’.

This was an excerpt. Visit here (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/10/864209/tales-from-the-sunnyside-rulon) for the full article.

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9069

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Since Rulon Davis was a child, his father knew he was destined for big things.

After all, that's why he's named Rulon.

"He's always told me ever since I was a little kid that he wanted a name that people can chant from the stands," Davis said.

Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Rulon Jones played in Denver from 1980-88, and Lorenzo Davis liked the way the name echoed throughout Mile High Stadium. So Lorenzo, a Chargers fan, named his son after a Bronco.

Luckily the younger Davis grew into his 6-foot-5, 281-pound frame, and now as a college free agent for the Broncos has a chance to hear his own chants in INVESCO Field at Mile High.

But Davis has already accomplished plenty of big things in his 25 years, both involving football and far from it.

Before he even finished high school, Davis knew he wanted to join the Marine Corps just as his father had done three decades earlier.

In fact, he tried to enlist at 17, but found out quickly that he would have to wait until he was the legal age of 18. So he bided his time.

Davis graduated from high school in June. He was in boot camp by July.

It wasn't your typical boot camp, however. There were the every day stresses of training to be a Marine, but one of the biggest events in American history happened early on, as well.

"While in boot camp, 9/11 occurred, and that was a scary moment for me," he said. "All the Marines thought we were going to war."

But Davis didn't go to war. Yet. In fact, he finished out his training and was released from active duty to the Marine Forces Reserve.

So he decided to attend Mt. San Antonio College, a junior college in California. There, he blossomed on the defensive side of the ball, racking up 32 tackles and 16.5 sacks as a freshman on a 10-2 team that advanced to the second round of postseason. He was one of the leaders of a defense that ranked No. 11 in California. He knew then that he wanted to keep playing football.

Then in March of 2004, Davis got a call that he was heading to Iraq.

He spent six months as an avionics technician in a helicopter squadron in a place that Davis could only describe as "like being on another planet."

"As soon as we touched down, you just knew you weren't at home," he said. "Everything looked different -- the air tasted different, the water tasted different, the food tasted different. So it was kind of a crazy time. You really don't know your up from your down. You don't know left from right. Everything is different -- I really can't explain it."

Temperatures soared to more than 100 degrees and winds would kick up sandstorms at any given moment. Davis recalls how tough the conditions were, and the fact that an enemy was out there trying to do harm to Davis and his fellow soldiers made every moment even more stressful.

One thing that kept him going for the six long months he spent overseas was the thought of the game that he loves.

"I pulled from football while over in Iraq," he said. "That kept my motivation, because that's what I wanted to do as soon as I got back -- gotta play football, gotta play football. So that kept my spirits up while over there."

And when he did get back from his tour of duty, that's exactly what he did. He started receiving calls from various schools offering him scholarships to play football, but it was his third official recruiting trip that stood out. He visited the University of California, and the location, academics and football history let him know -- "that was the place for me," he said.

And it proved to be a good decision. He racked up 40 tackles, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles in just 10 starts for the Golden Bears, seven of which came as a senior. He played in 21 contests throughout his career and used his athleticism to change many games -- he blocked a field goal attempt at Washington State as a senior that was returned 68 yards for a TD. As a senior he received the Bob Tessier Award as Cal's most improved defensive lineman, and currently owns the top recorded vertical jump of all time for a Cal defensive lineman at 33.5 inches.

And just like he pulled from football to be successful in the Marines, Davis said he pulled from the Marines to be successful in football.

"The Marines teach a spirited core -- always faithful, honor, courage, commitment, leadership traits, discipline -- all that stuff carries over into life, not just football," he explained. "Mental toughness, overcoming adversity, that's everything I've been taught and everything I've been put through. So when it comes to football, that stuff is secondary. I don't even think about having to push myself or worry about a little nagging injury. It's second nature."

Now Davis is putting his football acumen to work this offseason in an attempt to make the Broncos as an undrafted free agent. It's something that has been done before -- players from Rod Smith to Wesley Woodyard were up to the task -- and something that can be done again. With the work ethic Davis brings to the table, he certainly has as good a chance as anyone.

"I'm trying to get better every single day," he said. "My goal for this year would be an All-Rookie selection. That's my individual goal. As a team, I want to win of course. But in order to get there I've just got to keep improving every day, staying hungry, trying to get in on any kind of play I can get in on, doing the right thing, eating right, training hard and working hard.

"Do that and everything else will pay off."