PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback battles to watch: Five teams unsettled at signal-caller

DenBronx
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=quarterbackbattlestowatc&prov=tsn&type=lgns

By Albert Breer - SportingNews

The Chicago Bears didn't import Jay Cutler(notes) to promote competition for their starting quarterback job. Nor was it the intention—forget the public support for Tyler Thigpen(notes)—of the Kansas City Chiefs to create a QB derby with the trade for Matt Cassel(notes).

But in five other NFL locales, a newcomer enters to spark a battle atop the QB depth chart. That can be good. Or bad.

"I think a three-way competition is always bad," said ex-quarterback Jim Miller, part of multiple QB battles in 12 NFL seasons. "Two-way competitions are manageable, but the guys on the team know who should emerge, and when it goes against that, you have problem.

"Guys in Chicago knew Cade McNown wasn't ready [when he was a rookie in 1999], so they were upset when he was named starter. But usually, it's good for everyone to feel that pressure that you'll feel on Sundays."

With that in mind—and knowing three of these involve guys, like McNown, drafted in the first round—Sporting News handicaps the races for playing time.

Denver Broncos

The contenders: Kyle Orton(notes), Chris Simms(notes).

The chase: Some don't believe it, but Orton was a big piece of the Bears' ability to wrest Jay Cutler from the Broncos. Denver coach Josh McDaniels likes Orton's accuracy and decision-making skills. Simms might be giving chase, but in his only season as a starter he efficiently led Tampa Bay to the playoffs. The coach says this is no farce of a race.

"It's real," McDaniels said. "Both are very capable. They've done a great job of throwing themselves into the system."

Miller's take: "I'd give the slight edge to Orton. He has more starts than Simms, and I'm not sure Chris is all the way back from his injury, even though I'd say he'll get a fair shot. Kyle's a heady player who is capable of running Josh's system, and I think Josh will really like him."

Detroit Lions

The contenders: Daunte Culpepper(notes), Matthew Stafford(notes).

The chase: The $41.5-million rookie will be the starter—it's just a matter of when. And that'll likely be a function of when the players around Stafford are prepared to give him a chance to flourish. Until then, the Lions are better off letting Culpepper take the punishment. For now, though, the Lions have thrown the competition open.

"We have to throw groups out there just so we can practice," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "But my message has to stay the same and it's got to be, 'Hey, you're going to earn your spot based on how you perform.' We probably won't even really get into depth charts until we get near the first preseason game."

Miller's take: "This is interesting, because I think they're still looking for another veteran to throw in the mix. But as it stands, I think it's Daunte's job early. They have no delusions about starting Stafford early. I think later on in the season, if they're losing and they feel like the kid can protect himself, they'll stick Stafford in there. But I don't think they feel pressure to play him."

Minnesota Vikings

The contenders: Tarvaris Jackson(notes), Sage Rosenfels(notes).

The chase: Forget perception. Neither the financial nor the draft-pick compensation the Vikings surrendered to get Rosenfels suggests he has to start. Jackson played fairly well down the stretch, and this one likely will go to the man who can best move the chains and protect the ball. Or Brett Favre(notes).

Last week, when coach Brad Childress conceded that Favre would be discussed, he said, "I'm more focused on the guys that are here." And Childress added second-year man John David Booty(notes), part of the rich USC quarterbacking lineage, to the conversation.

Miller's take: "I actually think Jackson will be the starter, but I think Brad Childress will have a really quick hook. They really like Jackson, I think they want him to win job, but Brad knows how talented that team is, and he can't wait for a guy to build experience. So Jackson has to produce early or Sage will take that job."

New York Jets

The contenders: Kellen Clemens(notes), Mark Sanchez(notes).

The chase: If Sanchez picks up the offense, the job will be his. Rex Ryan hinted at as much last weekend, and has experience winning with a rookie QB. Plus, this is a good situation for a neophyte, like Atlanta and Baltimore were last year.

"I have an opinion on how it's going to go," Ryan said. "But I'm not going to share it with you. I'd be lying if I said I had no idea how it's going to work out. I assume it's going to work out a certain way, but you have to earn the job."

Miller's take: "It's Mark Sanchez. It's slanted already. I don't think Kellen Clemens has much of a shot. It's Rex's commitment in trading up to get the guy, too. He feels like he can manage Sanchez with the run game and defense, and he really likes Sanchez's moxie. The stage of New York doesn't faze him."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The contenders: Josh Freeman(notes), Byron Leftwich(notes), Luke McCown(notes).

The chase: McCown looked shaky early this spring, making Leftwich the likely bridge to Freeman. And the assumption of most is that Freeman will take some time to adjust to a conventional pro offense.

But coach Raheem Morris was quick to note that at last week's minicamp Freeman "delivered the football, controlled the huddle and made some nice throws."

Miller's take: "I believe that Leftwich will win that job, particularly if McCown continues to falter. I don't think Freeman's ready, but if they start losing, they might throw him in there. If you're 3-7, and you think he's tough enough to take it, maybe you put him in."

Tned
05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Five months ago, how many people would have thought we would be talking about a QB battle/controversy in Denver as we enter summer? :lol:

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Five months ago, how many people would have thought we would be talking about a QB battle/controversy in Denver as we enter summer? :lol:

Five months ago we didn't know our team would orchestrate the worst collapse in NFL history...

BroncoJoe
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Five months ago we didn't know our team would orchestrate the worst collapse in NFL history...

Dude - you seriously need to get some action or something. You're becoming the new Jrwiz of Debbie Downer's.

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Dude - you seriously need to get some action or something. You're becoming the new Jrwiz of Debbie Downer's.

So, you actually believed that Cutler would be in charge of the worst collapse in NFL history?

P.S. This isn't about me, TIA.

NameUsedBefore
05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Brandstater.

BroncoJoe
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
So, you actually believed that Cutler would be in charge of the worst collapse in NFL history?

P.S. This isn't about me, TIA.

I figured we'd win at least ONE of the three games left.

As to your P.S., you've been bitchy lately. Just admit it and get over what ever it is.

tia.

MOtorboat
05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
And I'm told that I make it personal. :rolleyes:

BroncoJoe
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
And I'm told that I make it personal. :rolleyes:

I still love you, MB. As does MrsBJ.

honz
05-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't really see Simms winning the battle at all. McD obviously likes Orton's intangibles and mental ability and he is easily just as skilled as Simms.

BroncoWave
05-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't really see Simms winning the battle at all. McD obviously likes Orton's intangibles and mental ability and he is easily just as skilled as Simms.

Agreed. Orton would really have to be a giant shit sandwich in camp for Simms to win the job IMO.

getlynched47
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Oh gosh I hope Orton beats out Simms....:eek:

omac
05-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Orton should win it, but both are just keeping it warm for Brady .. and .. stater.

WARHORSE
05-11-2009, 02:43 AM
I'll take Orton. Heck, he may be a wimp for all I know, but at least he doesnt look like one.

Unfairly to Chris Simms, I look at him and I immediately think.........."Um........NO."

I want the best player to play. I believe Orton will win out, and I believe he'll do what we need him to do in order to play well in the offense.

Im liking what Im hearing coming out of the lockeroom about him.

LoyalSoldier
05-11-2009, 03:07 AM
For as many doubts as I have about Orton, I have about 20 more for Simms. Orton better win.

Dirk
05-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Agreed. Orton would really have to be a giant shit sandwich in camp for Simms to win the job IMO.

:laugh:

Sandwich....:laugh:

Tned
05-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I watched some of the games when Simms started in TB, including the game where we later learned he had ruptured his spleen (or some organ). I thought he looked like a solid QB. Now, whether he is fully back (physically or mentally) from the injury, I don't know.

My guess is that these guys aren't too far apart in their QB skills.

GEM
05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I hope Orton wins....I don't think I can suddenly listen to Phil Simms gush about the Broncos after all the years of hate.

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Bradystarter.

omac
05-11-2009, 10:19 AM
The really good QB battle should be Quinn vs. Anderson. Mangini has no ties with either. Mangini likes to run the ball in a controlled offense, so that should favor Quinn, but he also knows the value of a QB with a strong arm, as he's seen the limitations of a QB with a weak arm in Pennington (not that Quinn's arm is weak, just not at Anderson's level).

SM19
05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Whoever comes out of the competition as the starter, I probably won't object. I'm certainly not going to fixate on one quarterback and insist that he should start before McDaniels has even had a chance to compare the two.

I still have serious doubts about Orton, but I also remember what a disaster Chris Simms was at UT. I could see either one winning (or losing) the job.

underrated29
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I like both. I have liked both for a while too. I would prefer orton as i think he would be the better qb for us.

And i am not 100% sold on harris being the blind side Tackle. I think he could do it, but clady already proved he WILL DO IT. So i am more comfortable there.

Besides we have knowshon, who will be our qbs best friend. Both Qbs will look so much better with him on the field. Probably better than they really are.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I watched some of the games when Simms started in TB, including the game where we later learned he had ruptured his spleen (or some organ). I thought he looked like a solid QB. Now, whether he is fully back (physically or mentally) from the injury, I don't know.

My guess is that these guys aren't too far apart in their QB skills.

I can't believe it... but I completely agree with you.

I don't see much difference in Orton and Simms... at all. Simms had struggles early in his career before winning the starting role. Orton, well... got beat out by both Griese and Grossman early in his career (I think Simms was beaten out by Griese as well... interesting).

So I think the battle between these two is closer than we think, SKILL wise..... the difference is that McDaniels has ties to Orton through deciding to take the Bears picks over Washington's BECAUSE of Orton.... thus Orton does have the inside track.

omac
05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I can't believe it... but I completely agree with you.

I don't see much difference in Orton and Simms... at all. Simms had struggles early in his career before winning the starting role. Orton, well... got beat out by both Griese and Grossman early in his career (I think Simms was beaten out by Griese as well... interesting).

So I think the battle between these two is closer than we think, SKILL wise..... the difference is that McDaniels has ties to Orton through deciding to take the Bears picks over Washington's BECAUSE of Orton.... thus Orton does have the inside track.

Yup, but then again, McDaniels brought Simms in as a backup initially, and is paying him pretty good money, specially considering he hasn't played much in years.

T.K.O.
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Yup, but then again, McDaniels brought Simms in as a backup initially, and is paying him pretty good money, specially considering he hasn't played much in years.

that is the interesting part of all this,orton apears to be "the guy" and mcd will look much smarter if kyle starts and plays well.
but,simms is getting paid 3 times as much as orton which can't do ortons ego alot of good if he does become the starter.can you imagine taking a job where your expected to out perform another guy right next to you who's making 3 times the cash?
oh well hopefully they just want to win and dont let that enter the situation

Tned
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM

I always thought the $6 million contract for Simms as a backup was pretty steep. In light of how things turned out, it makes more sense now.