PDA

View Full Version : Clady getting some more love

Spiritguy
05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
It's a new era at offensive tackle. As the longtime dominators —Walter Jones and Orlando Pace — begin the inevitable slide because of age and injury, the young guys are stepping up and standing out. Ryan Clady, new Eagle Jason Peters, Joe Thomas and Michael Roos are blind-side protectors you'll be hearing much about the next few years. Although the young transformation is at hand, our old-school thinking won't allow us to put rookies in the top 20. They have to show us something first.

Here are the top 20 tackles, the first in a series of positional rankings by RealScouts:

1. Ryan Clady, Broncos. An extremely athletic left tackle who gave up just 1 1/2 sacks as a rookie last year, he has great feet and the ability to run block at the second level and mirror ends in pass protection (only off 1 sack)

Follow the link for the other 19

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546898

Peerless
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
That's because Clady is BOSS

WARHORSE
05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Cladys not special.

Hes just the best youngtackle in football is all.......anchor into the future for the next 12 plus years...............:salute:

topscribe
05-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm proud of Clady, but doesn't Harris belong in there somewhere? :confused:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Is Ryan Harris a left tackle on our team, Topscribe? Off-hand, I only see two or three non-blindside protectors on that list; with Carey going to RT because of Long -- and Winston being RT for the Texans. Perhaps Winston is playing LT this year, but I'm not sure. With Ogden's retirement -- Gaither will be LT for the Ravens, and Oher will be sporting RT. So in conclusion, that was a list of really the top blindside protectors in the NFL; and if you wanted to get technical, most people are going to place a premium on LT's over RT's -- so that's probably a reason (besides it being an almost exclusive LT list) that Harris wasn't on there.

NameUsedBefore
05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Jesus, Dream, hold back a lil.

Also, Clady is my BFF.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Why hold back? It was quite obvious that it was a list of blindside protectors, hence why Harris isn't on the list. It needed to be mentioned.

Slick
05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Some of us had doubts, me included, but I was hoping we'd pick a guy to replace Lepsis in that draft so I was thrilled with the pick. All it does is prove the Wonderlic doesn't mean much when it really comes down to it. Can a guy play football or not? That should be the question GM's and coaches should be asking themselves when they draft a kid.

topscribe
05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Is Ryan Harris a left tackle on our team, Topscribe? Off-hand, I only see two or three non-blindside protectors on that list; with Carey going to RT because of Long -- and Winston being RT for the Texans. Perhaps Winston is playing LT this year, but I'm not sure. With Ogden's retirement -- Gaither will be LT for the Ravens, and Oher will be sporting RT. So in conclusion, that was a list of really the top blindside protectors in the NFL; and if you wanted to get technical, most people are going to place a premium on LT's over RT's -- so that's probably a reason (besides it being an almost exclusive LT list) that Harris wasn't on there.

Go back and look at the site. It says the top 20 tackles. It does not say the
top 20 left tackles. It says the top 20 tackles. The only reason Harris is a
right tackle is because the #1 tackle, Clady, is over on the left side.

But I expected "someone" to point that out when I posted this.

So I stand by my inquiry . . . :coffee:

-----

NameUsedBefore
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I think Dream's point was that the #1 tackle usually is the left tackle.

topscribe
05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I think Dream's point was that the #1 tackle usually is the left tackle.

Yes, I fully understand his point. However, just because Harris is inserted into
the RT spot doesn't mean he does not belong in that group of 20. It means
Clady is inserted in the LT spot. Were Clady not here, Harris would be the LT,
and Harris certainly is good enough for it . . . better than some of those in
that list, IMO.

So, I stand by my inquiry . . . :coffee:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
When 18/20 of the tackles listed there are true blind-side protectors, and the other two had played left tackle in their career -- it's pretty indicative of where they were going with the list. There isn't a true right tackle on that list. If you don't understand that -- it is certainly your problem.

topscribe
05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
When 18/20 of the tackles listed there are true blind-side protectors, and the other two had played left tackle in their career -- it's pretty indicative of where they were going with the list. There isn't a true right tackle on that list. If you don't understand that -- it is certainly your problem.

Well, I don't know that I would consider it a problem. :whoknows:

It's just the way I feel. But, hey, if it's that important to you, who am I to stand in your way? :coffee:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, pointing out things in the right matter was important. All twenty of those guys do play left tackle now or did last year. It is quite obvious that they went the blindside route. At any case, any list of the best tackles is more than likely (obviously) going to show higher premium and rankings on left tackles over right tackles. How many right tackles in this league would be taken before a left tackle? Not many, which is why it isn't surprising that there aren't any true right tackles on that list. You can play the whole semantics card all you want, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you are wrong on insisting that it was a list of all types of tackles when it is clear all 20 were left tackles last year or are this year.

topscribe
05-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, pointing out things in the right matter was important. All twenty of those guys do play left tackle now or did last year. It is quite obvious that they went the blindside route. At any case, any list of the best tackles is more than likely (obviously) going to show higher premium and rankings on left tackles over right tackles. How many right tackles in this league would be taken before a left tackle? Not many, which is why it isn't surprising that there aren't any true right tackles on that list. You can play the whole semantics card all you want, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you are wrong on insisting that it was a list of all types of tackles when it is clear all 20 were left tackles last year or are this year.

I did not insist anything. But enough of your attempt at a pissing match.

And now, :focus:

-----

BroncoAV06
05-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Well did someone not get enough hugs from Mom and is a little sour today?

honz
05-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Another Dream/Topscribe argument!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/General_Ridley/MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Well Mr. Honz, when I'm right -- I'm right! :cool: :nerd: :smack:

Tned
05-10-2009, 06:41 PM
So, what was the topic of this thread again? I seem to have lost track. :lol:

Most people have reported Clady as have given up 1/2 a sack, while this article said 1 and 1/2? So, which is accurate. Not that it matters much, but I am curious.

WARHORSE
05-11-2009, 05:36 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/CladystonesPorter.jpg

"AHHHHHHH! That hurts! Youre cheating! Im sorry! Ok, you own me, now let go! I just sharted!"

Dirk
05-11-2009, 06:30 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/CladystonesPorter.jpg

"AHHHHHHH! That hurts! Youre cheating! Im sorry! Ok, you own me, now let go! I just sharted!"

Ha ha! Joey Porter....:lol:

Dirk
05-11-2009, 06:31 AM

It's scary to think that Michael was a real person once upon a time...:rolleyes:

GEM
05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
What a great thread to take a freakin dump in. Put each other on ignore or have your pissing tests in private. It's beyond ridiculous.

To the topic....Clady deserves the love. Guy is a badass!

powderaddict
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm glad the Broncos have Clady AND Harris as the bookends.

What a great foundation to anchor the line for the next 10+ years!

BroncoAV06
05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
And to think Harris was a pick that alot of folks went crazy over at the time, same with Royal, etc.. Just got to give players a chance on the field.

Makes adding talent to the line much easier when you know you have the ends locked down.

Simple Jaded
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Hopefully Ryan Harris IS the Blindside protector.......

NightTrainLayne
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Hopefully Ryan Harris IS the Blindside protector.......

You pulling for Simms?

Simple Jaded
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
You pulling for Simms?

What's the saying? The evil you don't know is better than the evil you do? Something like that? That's kinda how I feel, I hope Simms is good enough to earn the starting job, I've seen too much of Orton, I've seen him go from being an overrated product of the system as a Jr at Purdue to getting benched several times as a Sr. I've seen him struggle to earn and keep a starting job on a team BEGGING for a legitimate QB in Chicago.

Simms doesn't have Orton's experience (Or Hype), but he has better talent, imo, and I respect the hell out him for playing through that injury.

One thing is certain in this whole thing, Doogie had better be the freaking DemiGod that he and everybody else thinks he is.......

T.K.O.
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
i remember when everyone was saying porter was gonna make mincemeat outta clady and jay would be on his a$$ all day...haha
i hope we got another jewell with ayers and/or smith

topscribe
05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
So, what was the topic of this thread again? I seem to have lost track. :lol:

Most people have reported Clady as have given up 1/2 a sack, while this article said 1 and 1/2? So, which is accurate. Not that it matters much, but I am curious.

Left Tackle (sacks allowed)

1. Ryan Clady (Broncos) 0.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
2. Michael Roos (Titans) 1.0 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
3. Tra Thomas (Eagles) 2.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
3. Orlando Pace (Rams) 2.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
5. Jake Long (Dolphins) 2.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
6. Jordan Gross (Panthers) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
6. Jammal Brown (Saints) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
6. Jared Gaither (Ravens) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
6. Marcus McNeill (Chargers) 3.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
6. Tony Ugoh (Colts) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
6. Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
6. Todd Weiner (Falcons) 3.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
13. Walter Jones (Seahawks) 3.5 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
14. D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) 4.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
14. Bryant McKinnie (Vikings) 4.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
17. Joe Thomas (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
17. Branden Albert (Cheifs) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
19. Levi Brown (Bengals) 5.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
20. Mike Gandy (Cardinals) 6.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
21. David Diehl (Giants) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
22. Flozell Adams (Cowboys) 7.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Khalif Barnes (Jags) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Matt Light (Pats) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Chad Clifton (Packers) 7.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
23. Kwame Harris (Raiders) 7.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
27. Joe Staley (49ers) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
28. Donald Penn (Bucs) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
29. Jeff Backus (Lions) 9.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
30. John St. Clair (Bears) 9.75 sacks allowed (16 starts)
31. Duane Brown (Texans) 11.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/3/13/796773/2008-sacks-allowed-left-ta

-----

Peerless
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

:lol:

topscribe
05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
:lol:

My sentiments exactly . . . :nod:

-----