PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Offseason

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
How would you guys rate this offseason so far?

So far we have signed Peyton Manning QB,Tracy Porter CB, Mike Adams S, Justin Bannan DT, Jacob Tamme TE, Joel Dressen TE, Caleb Haine QB, Brandon Stokely WR and Jason Hill WR.

Edit: Andre Caldwell WR also signed

We drafted Derek Wolfe DT, Brock Osweiler QB, Ronnie Hillman RB, Blake Philip C, Omar Bolden CB, Malik Jackson DL, and Danny Travanath LB.

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I think EFX hit most areas of need on the defense. I think the signing of Porter and Adams is going to boost our secondary strength. We lost Bunkley who played amazing but he was initially suppose to back up Ty Warren. We drafted a UT, OMG we finally could have one on the team. I think Wolfe could be solid not super star but solid UT. With Malik Jackson I think the DL could be a lot better this season. The offense is going to have immediate upgrade with Peyton Manning, Dresson, Tamme, and Hillman. They are all upgrades over what we had in exception to RB. We now have a new YOUNG (20 yrs old) RB who can step up to be #2.

I think the only area of need not addressed was MLB, but Mays we resigned to $4mill so I think they may wait Irving out for now to see how he does. But overall i think talent has been increased on our team.

gregbroncs
04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
With the signing of Manning I think it has to be an "A".

The draft was okay not great and the other FA signing were okay but not great. We went from being expected to be bottom of the playoff seedings to potential superbowl. Can't be too bad with that much change in expectations.

Jsteve01
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I also really like our FO's patience with last year's class. Giving Moore, Carter and Irving a year to develop is a fantastic move in my book. Same tact with Thomas and Greene. I think this team could really make some noise in the next two years.

BroncoWave
04-30-2012, 12:15 PM
A++

Absolutely zero complaints about this offseason. Peyton Manning automatically makes it an A and I am pretty optimistic about the FA signings and draft picks to fill in the rest of our needs.

gregbroncs
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
A++

Absolutely zero complaints about this offseason. Peyton Manning automatically makes it an A and I am pretty optimistic about the FA signings and draft picks to fill in the rest of our needs.I could see this being the case. Hard to say it's that successfull right now. However I was not that impressed with last season's FA's pickups and some of them far exceeded my expectations (Bunkley).

BroncoWave
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I could see this being the case. Hard to say it's that successfull right now. However I was not that impressed with last season's FA's pickups and some of them far exceeded my expectations (Bunkley).

Look at how the Redskins do by throwing money at all the shiny, high-priced free agent every year. And look at how well it worked for the Eagles this past season. We have brought in affordable, low-cost free agents that fill needs. I like that route better to be honest. Obviously Manning contradicts that in being the shiny high-priced guy, but an elite QB is worth that.

CoachChaz
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Look at how the Redskins do by throwing money at all the shiny, high-priced free agent every year. And look at how well it worked for the Eagles this past season. We have brought in affordable, low-cost free agents that fill needs. I like that route better to be honest. Obviously Manning contradicts that in being the shiny high-priced guy, but an elite QB is worth that.

I think the problem Philly had was more chemistry than FA busts. They started looking really good at the end. Add what they added this off-season and I think the Giants have an up hill battle to repeat.

Off topic, but it was in my head

BroncoWave
04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I think the problem Philly had was more chemistry than FA busts. They started looking really good at the end. Add what they added this off-season and I think the Giants have an up hill battle to repeat.

Off topic, but it was in my head

Fair enough, but I think the Redskins are a good example of what throwing the bank at big name free agents every year gets you.

CoachChaz
04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Fair enough, but I think the Redskins are a good example of what throwing the bank at big name free agents every year gets you.

I agree. When Snyder gets crazy...they blow money. Althought they've seemed to slow down a bit lately. Depends on how Garcon and Co. pan out

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I thought we signed Andre Caldwell. Did we sign Jason Hill as well?

I'm excited abou tthe draft. I think getting Manning in the offseason makes everything else gravy. Not excited really at all about the TE's , but they will be fine with Manning throwing the ball.

bcbronc
04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
A+. It's Peyton Freakin Manning, 'nuff said.

MOtorboat
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Echoed:

A+++

Laser-rocket arm

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I thought we signed Andre Caldwell. Did we sign Jason Hill as well?

I'm excited abou tthe draft. I think getting Manning in the offseason makes everything else gravy. Not excited really at all about the TE's , but they will be fine with Manning throwing the ball.

Thanks I forgot about him, but yes we got Hill also. I skimmed the updated roster as i made this post.

underrated29
04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
So then it should look someting like:

Manning, brock, haine

Mcgahee, moreno, hilman, fannin, ball (but im holding out hope for omon)

DT, Decker, Caldwell, stokley, willis (goodwin if we go six deep)

tamme, dressen, JT, green

clady, beadles( who I bet gets replaced by wuebbles ufda) Walton (who might lose to blake) kuper, franklin

DEFENSE:

Warren, Vick, Wolfe, Bannon
Ayers, Doom, hunter, jackson,
Von, Mays, DJ/Woody
Champ, porter, harris, olden, syd, vaughn<--doubt he makes the team
Adams, Carter, moore, bruton

That is a nice team right there. I would grade this as an Exceptional offseason! I LOVE the offense, and am not joking that even with the defenses we face we should be able to go 30+ per game. The defense looks decent and we just need to upgrade those Linebackers and get/hope either Porter stays and gets his act together or Olden comes back 100%.
But the team I listed above- with the highlighted projected starters is much better than the one last year.

Nomad
04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm expecting being convincingly #1 in the AFCWest and a playoff run.

BroncoWave
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm expecting being convincingly #1 in the AFCWest and a playoff run.

Yeah, I think anything less than what we accomplished last season (AFCW title and playoff win) would be a pretty big disappointment this year.

FanInAZ
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
So then it should look someting like:

Manning, brock, haine

Brock will be penciled in as #3 (SOP). I really do hope that he can beat out Haine during the preseason, but it's not realistic to assume.

Tned
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
A++

Absolutely zero complaints about this offseason. Peyton Manning automatically makes it an A and I am pretty optimistic about the FA signings and draft picks to fill in the rest of our needs.

Other than being worried about the secondary (nickel & safeties), I think they have addressed most areas of need. Assuming one of those WR's can be a solid slot guy, and of course that Manning is at or near his pre injury form, and the Broncos offense should be in real good shape.

By and large the defense played very well last year. Especially when you consider the insane number of three and outs by our offense. Losing Bukley and Thomas was a blow up the middle, but hopefully Warren will give similar play to bunkley, along with Vickerson, Wolfe and the rest of the rotation. That leaves the glaring holes at safety. At times, the young guys played well, but are they ready for prime time? Mike Adams had trouble winning playing time in Chicago, so I don't think we can count on a lot there.

So, assuming our young CBs (last couple drafts + this one) & young safeties can come through, we should be a pretty well rounded team going into 2012.

BigDaddyBronco
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm still a little worried about the run defense. Hopefully it will not matter with Manning running the offense, but the way to beat the old Colt teams were to run the ball, eat up clock, and keep Manning on the bench.

Still this team is better on offense and defense with a healthy Peyton Manning. They should be better than last year barring injury and if the don't win the AFC West it will be a disappointing year.

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Other than being worried about the secondary (nickel & safeties), I think they have addressed most areas of need. Assuming one of those WR's can be a solid slot guy, and of course that Manning is at or near his pre injury form, and the Broncos offense should be in real good shape.

By and large the defense played very well last year. Especially when you consider the insane number of three and outs by our offense. Losing Bukley and Thomas was a blow up the middle, but hopefully Warren will give similar play to bunkley, along with Vickerson, Wolfe and the rest of the rotation. That leaves the glaring holes at safety. At times, the young guys played well, but are they ready for prime time? Mike Adams had trouble winning playing time in Chicago, so I don't think we can count on a lot there.

So, assuming our young CBs (last couple drafts + this one) & young safeties can come through, we should be a pretty well rounded team going into 2012.

I am hoping that will Doomer/Von healthy along with a real UT it will put more pressure on the QB to not pick the secondary apart. I love the fact we have a UT for once instead of two big bodies against the run. Warren is suppose to be the big boy to stop the run. Bunkely was only a depth body and broke out in Warren's place. I love the wolfe/Jackson draft picks. That should be more pressure on QBs. Jackson on passing downs for Ayers and Wolfe up the middle to prevent QB stepping up.

claymore
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
To go along with Manning, and all the others we have added in FA and the draft, I am pretty damn excited to have Delrio as our DC. I hope he can really stretch the dollar with some of the guys we have.

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
To go along with Manning, and all the others we have added in FA and the draft, I am pretty damn excited to have Delrio as our DC. I hope he can really stretch the dollar with some of the guys we have.

I am excited about what he can do with the front 7.

Nomad
04-30-2012, 03:01 PM

I have extremely high hopes for the defense especially the dline and a big reason is Del Rio. Perhaps he can find a good year or 2 out of Bannan & Warren and I've been wanting an interior pass rush.....don't let us down Wolfe.

claymore
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I have extremely high hopes for the defense especially the dline and a big reason is Del Rio. Perhaps he can find a good year or 2 out of Bannan & Warren and I've been wanting an interior pass rush.....don't let us down Wolfe.

If he has success, hopefully he sticks around, and grooms someone to take over.

Nomad
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, that's true. Del Rio kicks ass and ends up with some other team as a HC.....the Chargers:lol:

claymore
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, that's true. Del Rio kicks ass and ends up with some other team as a HC.....the Chargers:lol:

You should start a thread on it to unjinx us... :(

FanInAZ
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
You should start a thread on it to unjinx us... :(

The creating of unjinxing & reverse jinxing threads is MO's job.

Mannway187
04-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm still a little worried about the run defense. Hopefully it will not matter with Manning running the offense, but the way to beat the old Colt teams were to run the ball, eat up clock, and keep Manning on the bench.

Still this team is better on offense and defense with a healthy Peyton Manning. They should be better than last year barring injury and if the don't win the AFC West it will be a disappointing year.

This strategy never seemed to work when the Broncos played the Colts. In fact it didn't work period. The Colts generally lost to the teams who either got in Mannings face or had a better ball control passing game, like the Patriots.
Over the years the Colts with Manning hardly lost more than maybe 4 games a year. And those losses were to teams like the Ravens, Chargers, Patriots, teams that usually got in Manning head and caused him to rush his passes. I don't recall to many teams known for ball control running games beating the Colts.

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
This strategy never seemed to work when the Broncos played the Colts. In fact it didn't work period. The Colts generally lost to the teams who either got in Mannings face or had a better ball control passing game, like the Patriots.
Over the years the Colts with Manning hardly lost more than maybe 4 games a year. And those losses were to teams like the Ravens, Chargers, Patriots, teams that usually got in Manning head and caused him to rush his passes. I don't recall to many teams known for ball control running games beating the Colts.no, one year we rolled int INDY with quentin griffin and deswtroyed the colts by running the ball ! oh, yeh, now you remeber.
EVERY team we faced is going to try and run the ball down our throats, meanwhile we have been building a defense to stop the pass.
we are going to look like the jets and eagles who built a big name secondary to stop the pass and then got beat by the run game and tight ends!

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
what did we do in this off season to improve our defense against the run?
manning?
thats about the only rational reply.
hope we win all the coin tosses.

NightTerror218
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
what did we do in this off season to improve our defense against the run?
manning?
thats about the only rational reply.
hope we win all the coin tosses.

We were not that bad against the run last season. Teams did not run all over us. I think having better secondary will help prevent teams from spreading us out and then running up middle. The addition of a real UT could help prevent QB from stepping up. Our weakness last season was the secondary not the run.

Jsteve01
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
interior pass rush and secondary were glaring needs...

NightTerror218
05-02-2012, 04:45 PM

I think we fixed it with Wolfe, Porter and Allen.

Jsteve01
05-02-2012, 06:49 PM
that's what I was saying and I really believe wolfe can do work at the POA in the run game.

Ziggy
05-05-2012, 02:06 AM

I think we fixed it with Wolfe, Porter and Allen.

...and Jackson, Bolden, and Judie.

Mannway187
05-05-2012, 07:31 PM
no, one year we rolled int INDY with quentin griffin and deswtroyed the colts by running the ball ! oh, yeh, now you remeber.

I remember that we played the Colts and lost more times than that one game. Wasn't that the same year we played them after they had already clinched and they rested most of their starters? Whats that? Oh you forgot? Remember how we got rolled the very next week by a well rested Manning and his COLTS?

EVERY team we faced is going to try and run the ball down our throats, meanwhile we have been building a defense to stop the pass.

Not every team believes or agrees that the best way to come back from a 2 or 3 TD deficit is by running the ball down or up our throats. We've built our defense to stop the best offenses in the NFL. You know, the same ones that scorched us last year. The kind that play for the Championship year after year. Not the teams that run theirselves to pick early every year in the draft.

we are going to look like the jets and eagles who built a big name secondary to stop the pass and then got beat by the run game and tight ends!

No chance. You must really like the taste of the big black bird to keep ordering it. Bon apetite