PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe, Broncos' top draft pick, reaches his NFL dream

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Some future NFL players spend the final days before the draft touring New York City, buying new suits or planning lavish parties.

Derek Wolfe's predraft routine was far less glamorous.

Less than 48 hours before the Broncos made his NFL dreams come true, Wolfe found himself in a pig stall, shoveling manure.

"Most guys don't live on a farm and don't have all the little things that have to get done," Wolfe said. "It humbles you and helps you remember where you came from."

rest - interesting - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20506096/broncos-top-draft-pick-derek-wolfe-reaches-his

Lancane
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I love this kid, he has one of those heart wrenching life stories that shows what he's had to overcome and I love his attitude. "I play nasty!", when Alfred Williams asks which he prefers to rush the passer or to stuff the run, he replied "I like to kick ass!".

Day1BroncoFan
04-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I like this kid so far.

bcbronc
04-30-2012, 01:00 AM
"It started with sleepovers before weekend wrestling tournaments...."

I'm sold.

Broncfan1970
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM
You gotta like his attitude definitely think he's gonna make an impact on line with his energy. Excited to see him play.

broncofaninfla
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I siad "who?!?!" when we drafted him but after remembering the senior bowl and researching him I am VERY happy we got this kid and think he could be a stud DL for us for years to come.

BigDaddyBronco
04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
This kid is badass. When you look at pro atheletes, the ones who become superstars often have stories like this. Tough childhoods with a relentless drive to make-it and be successful. I can't wait to see him play.

BeefStew25
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Makes me want to beat the shit out of my kids.

BigDaddyBronco
04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Makes me want to beat the shit out of my kids.

Path to success.....

Dapper Dan
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Yep. I believe we're all starting to love this pick.

claymore
05-01-2012, 06:47 AM
I like this kid. He seems like a blue collar dude that will embrace the front range.

"Wolfe never was a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and said he can't wait to play Pittsburgh on Sept. 9."

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:38 AM
With the draft over, I was able to talk with my friend who scouts for the Giants last night. I asked him about our class and how their scouting team rated them.

The ones that stuck out...Wolfe, Osweiler, Blake, Jackson, Bolden.

Wolfe...I was curious about this considering their luck with DL. According to him, the Giants had Wolfe graded as a 3rd-5th round prospect. Said he has a good motor but tends to focus on pass rush and gets eaten up by higher quality OL.

Osweiler...his territory covers AZ, so he had plenty of time there. He didnt focus on QB too much for obvious reasons, but everything he saw in Os he could sum up simply with "extremely raw". One of those guys that you just cant tell what he'll end up like.

Bolden...said he spent a lot of time loooking at Bolden the previous year and though he had star potential. Really believes that if his knees were healthy and if the CB class was thinner...he could have been a 1st rounder.

Jackson...thinks that if he gains some weight, he could be a solid inside guy on 3rd down. If he stays at his current weight, he has a ways to go to be an impact player on the edge. Sais he really wants to like him, but sees to much "tweener" in him to be able to say too much positive.

Again...this is just the thoughts of one NFL scout. I'm sure it's different from any other, but he's the only one I know personally at that level, so I thought I'd share.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I didn't hear anyone that had him graded as a 4-5th rounder, but then, all boards are different.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I didn't hear anyone that had him graded as a 4-5th rounder, but then, all boards are different.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you have a good DL, you see prospects much differently than if you have NO DL

Ravage!!!
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Well. I know that this kid is going to get ripped apart this year by the fans on the site. It takes a good 2-3 years for a DT to solidfy himself and to really step it up in the NFL. Wilfork didn't do squat his first two seasons. So I'm going to give the kid time. But feel we did our research on him.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Well. I know that this kid is going to get ripped apart this year by the fans on the site. It takes a good 2-3 years for a DT to solidfy himself and to really step it up in the NFL. Wilfork didn't do squat his first two seasons. So I'm going to give the kid time. But feel we did our research on him.

I dont doubt that...but the NFL is littered with useless DT's that had research done on them.

In no way am I proclaiming Wolfe a bust. Just not personally as high on him as some

SpringsBroncoFan
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I dont doubt that...but the NFL is littered with useless DT's that had research done on them.

In no way am I proclaiming Wolfe a bust. Just not personally as high on him as some

I may have been higher on Wolfe than you Coach but I still had Reyes over him... I hope we are wrong though... considering where Reyes went...

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I may have been higher on Wolfe than you Coach but I still had Reyes over him... I hope we are wrong though... considering where Reyes went...

Agree all around

Ziggy
05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Derek Wolfe 2011 stats-
Tackles- 70
TFL- 21.5
Sacks- 9.5

Kendall Reyes 2011 stats-
Tackles- 46
TFL- 13.5
Sacks- 4.5

Normally I wouldn't compare stats, but these 2 players played in the same conference. Why all of the love for Reyes? Wolfe is a more productive player with a better motor, and proved it against the same competition. Someone explain to me why Reyes would have been a better option.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Derek Wolfe 2011 stats-
Tackles- 70
TFL- 21.5
Sacks- 9.5

Kendall Reyes 2011 stats-
Tackles- 46
TFL- 13.5
Sacks- 4.5

Normally I wouldn't compare stats, but these 2 players played in the same conference. Why all of the love for Reyes? Wolfe is a more productive player with a better motor, and proved it against the same competition. Someone explain to me why Reyes would have been a better option.

Reyes' duties were much different than Wolfe. In fact...most scouts werent higher on him until he went to the senior bowl and started destroying the top talent. But his frame and game translate well at the pro level where he can stop the run and get an interior rush.

Wolfe is more of a tweener. he stands up too much and isnt very good outside of one on one blocking. Put 2 guys on him and he disappears. The most interesting scouting report I saw was one that compared players to NFL players...and Wolfe's NFL comparison was literally...Kevin Vickerson

Army Bronco
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
With the draft over, I was able to talk with my friend who scouts for the Giants last night. I asked him about our class and how their scouting team rated them.

Wolfe...I was curious about this considering their luck with DL. According to him, the Giants had Wolfe graded as a 3rd-5th round prospect. Said he has a good motor but tends to focus on pass rush and gets eaten up by higher quality OL.

Osweiler...his territory covers AZ, so he had plenty of time there. He didnt focus on QB too much for obvious reasons, but everything he saw in Os he could sum up simply with "extremely raw". One of those guys that you just cant tell what he'll end up like.

Bolden...said he spent a lot of time loooking at Bolden the previous year and though he had star potential. Really believes that if his knees were healthy and if the CB class was thinner...he could have been a 1st rounder.

Jackson...thinks that if he gains some weight, he could be a solid inside guy on 3rd down. If he stays at his current weight, he has a ways to go to be an impact player on the edge. Sais he really wants to like him, but sees to much "tweener" in him to be able to say too much positive.

Again...this is just the thoughts of one NFL scout. I'm sure it's different from any other, but he's the only one I know personally at that level, so I thought I'd share. Coach, that's pretty cool stuff, getting info from a scout. Gotta trust his opinion cause he scouts for the current Champs.

CoachChaz
05-05-2012, 02:25 AM

Again...this is just the thoughts of one NFL scout. I'm sure it's different from any other, but he's the only one I know personally at that level, so I thought I'd share. Coach, that's pretty cool stuff, getting info from a scout. Gotta trust his opinion cause he scouts for the current Champs.

Well...he admittedly hits and misses as much as anyone, but it is cool to get an insider POV. Either way, he could tell the staff that a guy is great or a guy is horrible and they are going to do what they wsnt anyway

Cugel
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Again...this is just the thoughts of one NFL scout. I'm sure it's different from any other, but he's the only one I know personally at that level, so I thought I'd share.

The difference between the Giants evaluation and the Broncos is probably due to their system. The Broncos wanted Wolfe because they feel that he can slide out and play 5-technique (DE) as well as slide inside and play 3-tech (DT).

He's versatile.

The Giants don't think that much of Wolfe's athleticism. Other teams had similar draft grades on him (3rd to 5th round).

But, we won't know who was right until 2 years from now.

After all, every team in the NFL said that Dumervil was "too short" to be an every-down DE in the NFL, let alone the NFL sack leader from 3 years ago! They discounted the 20 sacks he got his senior year at Louisville as coming against inferior competition!

But, Shanny saw that Doom had the longer arms of a bigger man and that allowed him to keep OTs off him, and be an effective rusher. (One of the few times Shanny was able to spot defensive talent).