PDA

View Full Version : John Elway and the Broncos take a level-headed mentality into the draft

Tned
04-29-2012, 03:13 PM
This is an article written by one of the producers at Mile High Sports radio and contributor to Mile High Sports magazine. It's a good piece, check it out.

REFRESHING APPROACH
John Elway and the Broncos take a level-headed mentality into the draft
By Daniel Mohrmann

When Josh McDaniels took his short turn as coach and decision maker of the Denver Broncos, his strategy on draft weekend would put him in the middle of the spotlight. It’s not hard to imagine that his (lack of) eye for talent was one of the primary reasons he was fired so quickly into his head-coaching career.

Broncos fans found themselves frustrated, angry and in disbelief over the moves that McDaniels made. No one can forget the shock that rolled through Radio City Music Hall in 2009 when Roger Goodell announced Knowshon Moreno as Denver’s first pick. And everyone will remember where they were when they heard the news that the Broncos traded back into the first round in 2010 to draft some guy named Tim Tebow. To call McDaniels a “draft whiz” would be a big stretch of the imagination.

When John Elway and John Fox took over after McDaniels was dismissed, there once again seemed to be a buzz around draft time. It more than likely had everything to do with McDaniels’ ability to earn the second overall pick for Denver. The selection of Von Miller came with just as much hype as...
Read Dan Mohrmann's full article here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=9863

spikerman
04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I think Jr should be unbanned just to respond to this article.

UnderArmour
04-29-2012, 03:47 PM
It's really not fair to criticize McDaniels for the 2010 draft at all. We came out with a pretty good draft class with several starters. Tebow was a second pro bowl alternate his second year in the league despite not playing a full season. 2009 draft, complete flop. But 2010 draft was gold.

G_Money
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
2010 draft:

WR Demaryius Thomas (1st Round, 22nd overall)
Result: starter

QB Tim Tebow (1st Round, 25th overall)

OL Zane Beadles – (2nd Round, 45th overall)

C J.D. Walton – (3rd Round, 80th overall)

WR Eric Decker – (3rd Round, 87th overall) (from Philadelphia)

CB Perrish Cox – (5th Round, 137th overall) (from Philadelphia via Cleveland)
Result: idiot

C Eric Olsen – (6th Round, 183rd overall)
Result: nothin

CB Syd’quan Thompson - (7th, 225th overall)
Result: backup and kick returner

DE/OLB Jammie Kirlew – (7th, 232rd overall)
Result: nothin

Now maybe the reason we got FIVE starters AND a useful backup out of this draft was that our talent was precipitously low. I know I don't think Beadles should be starting, and Tebow is a very-specific-circumstance starter at this point. But still, it was a very productive draft.

If we get five starters out of this draft I'll go ape-shit with orgasmic delight. So John's "level-headed approach" may feel nice, and I prefer it to that ridiculousness of Josh's first draft, but we're getting good mileage out of McDaniels's second. I'm hoping John's 2012 draft can keep pace with the "good backups / several starters" drafts of the last couple of years.

And I hope some of last year's guys show better this year. It was ugly for a few of em in 2011.

~G

TXBRONC
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM

That is a scary thought.

MOtorboat
04-29-2012, 10:46 PM
When you're not making up wild, fantastical stories about theoretical adminisrative mistakes made by the front office, its remarkable how solid this draft is. Solid character guys who have good work ethics.

Even if they aren't stars, it's still solid depth and hard work.

Davii
04-30-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't see where anyone can bitch about the draft this year. I'm sure everyone would've loved the big sexy pick... But... Big sexy picks lead to big ugly flops. W drafted guys that may not be athletic freaks, but they've hard working, high character teammates. I like what I see, teams are built in such ways. I hope they all play to their potential but am positive we at least upgraded DT, probably HB, and built some solid depth. Hopefully it's more than that, time will tell.

Lancane
04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't see where anyone can bitch about the draft this year. I'm sure everyone would've loved the big sexy pick... But... Big sexy picks lead to big ugly flops. W drafted guys that may not be athletic freaks, but they've hard working, high character teammates. I like what I see, teams are built in such ways. I hope they all play to their potential but am positive we at least upgraded DT, probably HB, and built some solid depth. Hopefully it's more than that, time will tell.

Yeah, but we seem to have a fan base that wants to see Santa Clause, the little ******** aren't happy with just the cool ass presents. We can call it the Golden Goose Syndrome, like spoiled children not happy with Filas or Adidas tennis shoes, they want the Nikes that cost a $98.00 more despite quality of the other shoes, not to mention that it isn't their own money! I say beat the little shits and shove the other shoes on their feet!

BroncoStud
04-30-2012, 09:08 AM
As G stated, Josh McDanieks had a very successful 2010 draft. 2009 pretty much sucked.

Chef Zambini
04-30-2012, 10:53 AM
hard working guys with great charcater.
that discribes TEBOW. does that justify selecting him in the first round?
no, it does not.
it also discribes kellen moore, but I guess those qualities and 50 wins dont mean squat if youre 1 inch too short.
we wasted our first 2 chances to pick in the first round, wasted ! we pissed away our second eventual pick over-all because we were fixated on one guy who ther than being tall is not very special.
we FAILED to adress our DIRE need at safety.
I doubt anyone other than some flunky writer who gets paid by the broncos will grade our effort above a C !

topscribe
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure he would come back now . . .

Chef Zambini
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but we seem to have a fan base that wants to see Santa Clause, the little ******** aren't happy with just the cool ass presents. We can call it the Golden Goose Syndrome, like spoiled children not happy with Filas or Adidas tennis shoes, they want the Nikes that cost a $98.00 more despite quality of the other shoes, not to mention that it isn't their own money! I say beat the little shits and shove the other shoes on their feet!kind of like EFX...
we wantosweiler, we dont care about the other QBs available
we want WOFE, we dont care about the otherDTs still available
first round draft opportunity/
we dont want that, we want to move DOWN because we are afraid of having somebody point to our first round pick, and we are too focused on our gameplan to look up and see whats just waiting there for us !
anybody wish we had drafted clay mathews?
say hello to donta hightower.
anyone wish we could have gotten an everydown back like richardson, well our chance is now on the TAMPA roster !
bad moves EFX, bad moves indeed.

NightTerror218
04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Zam we dont have a dire need at safety. DL was the dire need and a eventual replacement for Manning. Because we dont know how long he will last. We also got a CB and RB that were also very much needed. I am glad we traded out of the 1st, but wish we could have gotten more then a 4th.

topscribe
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
kind of like EFX...
we wantosweiler, we dont care about the other QBs available
we want WOFE, we dont care about the otherDTs still available
first round draft opportunity/
we dont want that, we want to move DOWN because we are afraid of having somebody point to our first round pick, and we are too focused on our gameplan to look up and see whats just waiting there for us !
anybody wish we had drafted clay mathews?
say hello to donta hightower.
anyone wish we could have gotten an everydown back like richardson, well our chance is now on the TAMPA roster !
bad moves EFX, bad moves indeed.
Zam, the Broncos didn't have a prayer of getting Richardson. And Hightower
is no Clay Mathews, IMO. I believe Hightower is going to be an ordinary
linebacker - good, but nothing special. And the reticence of EFX to take him
tells me they must have had similar thoughts.

Now, they didn't just grab a ring off the merry-go-round that turned out to
be Wolfe. A year's worth (at least) of research by several different people
went into that selection. Same with Osweiler. To say anything different of
them is not an honest assertion. Sorry, this isn't anything intended against
you. It's just . . . it is what it is . . .

Jsteve01
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
so now we're comparing a guy who's never played a down to Matthews? ok come on zam

Tned
04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

I'm happy with the draft results. As you say, there is no sexy pick(s), so it's hare to feel like the Broncos killed it. However, it's important to remember that Elway has said that the goal is to build a team that is a perennial playoff contender. So, while they've shown they want to win now, but spending $96 million on Manning, this draft clearly shows that they view the draft as building a foundation for years to come, rather than trying to get one or two players to help win now, while sacrificing the future.

Jsteve01
04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
and asserting that Osweiler doesn't have any special traits is just tomfoolery. He is big, athletic and had one of the biggest arms in this class. Does he have flags? yeah some of the guys on here whose opinions I value like BDB and Chaz think he's got bust written all over him. For my money I wanted to have someone in the fold to groom and Brock was my guy. I think his floor is Flacco and his upside is better as he's not a complete dope.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
This article fits well in this thread:

And with their 2012 draft, the Broncos attempted to make a final correction on their embarrassing draft of 2009.

Where would the Broncos be today — with Peyton Manning at quarterback, Von Miller at pass-rush linebacker and John Elway as the front- office point man — had they not so magnificently bombed with their five (that's right, five) draft picks in the first two rounds that year?

None of their three second-rounders — cornerback Alphonso Smith, safety Darcel McBath and tight end Richard Quinn — made it to year three at Dove Valley. As for the Broncos' 2009 first-round selections, put it this way: Three years later, the Broncos just drafted defensive tackle Derek Wolfe essentially to replace Robert Ayers and running back Ronnie Hillman to replace Knowshon Moreno.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20511258/broncos-tried-fix-bad-draft-2009-2012-draft

CoachChaz
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
and asserting that Osweiler doesn't have any special traits is just tomfoolery. He is big, athletic and had one of the biggest arms in this class. Does he have flags? yeah some of the guys on here whose opinions I value like BDB and Chaz think he's got bust written all over him. For my money I wanted to have someone in the fold to groom and Brock was my guy. I think his floor is Flacco and his upside is better as he's not a complete dope.

Slow down. I never said he would be a bust. I merely said we could have spent the pick on a more immediate area of need.

Jsteve01
04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
hyperbole the best weapon in any forum poster's arsenal...i apologize for misrepresenting you. I do give you credit for not sharing BDB's obsession for small weak armed qbs. I wonder if we could coaxe applewhite and wuerffel out of retirement.

BroncoStud
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
This article fits well in this thread:

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20511258/broncos-tried-fix-bad-draft-2009-2012-draft

2009 was a disaster, truly horrific drafting by McDaniels. One of the worst drafts I've ever witnessed.

BigDaddyBronco
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
2003 was worse. At least Bruton, Moreno, and Ayers are still on the team and Alphonso Smith is still in football. Most of these guys were one and done.

2003 - Denver Broncos
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 20 George Foster T Georgia
2 51 Terry Pierce LB Kansas State
4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
4 114 Nick Eason DT Clemson
4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
5 157 Ben Claxton C Mississippi
5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
6 194 Aaron Hunt -- Texas Tech
7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

MOtorboat
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
2003 was worse. At least Bruton, Moreno, and Ayers are still on the team and Alphonso Smith is still in football. Most of these guys were one and done.

2003 - Denver Broncos
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 20 George Foster T Georgia
2 51 Terry Pierce LB Kansas State
4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
4 114 Nick Eason DT Clemson
4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
5 157 Ben Claxton C Mississippi
5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
6 194 Aaron Hunt -- Texas Tech
7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

Wow.

DenBronx
04-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Jr got banned? For what?

Jsteve01
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
ouch

Dzone
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Oz will turn out better than Cutler, without Cutlers crappy personality.

Dzone
05-01-2012, 12:30 AM
When Wolfe was drafted, people were wondering wtf. But now that I watch his film and compare to other DTs you notice how fast he penetrates compared to some of the slower and fatter 350 pound guys. Wolfe is probably the most athletic of the bunch. All those tackles for loss that he had are because he is a freakin athlete, not just a fat summo wrestler. I loved hearing what his coach at Cinncinati had to say about Wolfe. He has a chip on his shoulder because he thought he should have gone in the first round. This is one guy I cant wait to see. I like the WMD idea, Wolfe, Miller and Dumervil, whoever it was who came up with that. Thats good. I can see that happening. If he can learn from Von Miller how to have an impact as a rookie, look out.
Wolfe is going to be a beast, and he is going to see the field a lot. WMD!

TXBRONC
05-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Slow down. I never said he would be a bust. I merely said we could have spent the pick on a more immediate area of need.

If Denver makes the playoffs this year they will be in a similar position to the one they were in this year. If that's the case we wont be drafting anywhere near where the top prospect quarterbacks will be taken and then end taking a quarterback that will need time to develop.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
If Denver makes the playoffs this year they will be in a similar position to the one they were in this year. If that's the case we wont be drafting anywhere near where the top prospect quarterbacks will be taken and then end taking a quarterback that will need time to develop.

And do ALL 1st rounds QB's need 2-3 years to develop while sitting behind a HoF QB?

TXBRONC
05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
And do ALL 1st rounds QB's need 2-3 years to develop while sitting behind a HoF QB?

I never said all first quarterbacks need 2-3 years to develop. However it seems to me from what seen and heard that generally when a quarterback is taken outside of top 10-15 they need time to develop.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I never said all first quarterbacks need 2-3 years to develop. However it seems to me from what seen and heard that generally when a quarterback is taken outside of top 10-15 they need time to develop.

But how much time depends an many varying factors. your guess is as good as mine if those factors exist in Denver

Chef Zambini
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Zam we dont have a dire need at safety. DL was the dire need and a eventual replacement for Manning. Because we dont know how long he will last. We also got a CB and RB that were also very much needed. I am glad we traded out of the 1st, but wish we could have gotten more then a 4th.I disagree.
lets see how our safeties perform this year and we can re-visit the subject of bronco safeties and NEED.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Today you need 3 safeties. With the passing game evolving and 2-3 TE sets becoming the norm, you have to be able to play that big nickel package. There has to be the guy that can cover AND support the run. So unless our 2 young guys immediately improve...yes...we need safety help

Chef Zambini
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Zam, the Broncos didn't have a prayer of getting Richardson. And Hightower
is no Clay Mathews, IMO. I believe Hightower is going to be an ordinary
linebacker - good, but nothing special. And the reticence of EFX to take him
tells me they must have had similar thoughts.

Now, they didn't just grab a ring off the merry-go-round that turned out to
be Wolfe. A year's worth (at least) of research by several different people
went into that selection. Same with Osweiler. To say anything different of
them is not an honest assertion. Sorry, this isn't anything intended against
you. It's just . . . it is what it is . . .
first, I never said HIGHTOWER was clay mathews!
what I tried to express was that we had a chance to actually DRAFT Mathews but selected some timmy guy instead!
We had a chance to DRAFT HIGHTOWER as well, but gave him to the PATS instead!
the only thing I am comparing is the REGRET that will haunt us for the rest of their playing careers!

" A year's worth (at least) of research by several different people
went into that selection. Same with Osweiler."

I agree 100%, this is exactly my point!
they were so fixated on both wolfe and osweiler that they FAILED to consider other options!
they had already targeted BOTH, the same can be said of HILLMAN, so when quality guys who can help this team NOW were available, they refused to consider them !
we could have had doug MILLER ! he would have been our "RICHARDSON"
an everydown back that can run, block, catch.
but taking miller or HIGHTOWER would have meant possibly getting a different DT or doubtful, missing a chance to take brock, so the EFX pissed those chances away !
lets hope all that research and the blinders aproach to drafting pays off!
wolfe, brock and hillman better be able to contribute and be studs because we passed on alot of STUDS to make sure we got them !
again I remind you all that we had TWO chances to draft in the first round and we pissed them both away ! the teams and players that filled those spots are now being unanimously praised by every person that has a voice on the subject!
did we NEED an inside linebacker/
did we need a potential franchise runningback?
we had a chance at both and gave them away!
... and our second pick overall is a guy we hope to never see in a real game for at least 3 years and if we do, most agree he wont be ready.
meanwhile kellen moore is a guy who could lead an offense day ONE in the NFL, but hell, everybody passed on him because of one lousy inch
rediculous.

Chef Zambini
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
FWIW, i honestly believe that brock O was more of an ELWAY pick than a "research" pick.
elways kid went to ASU, JE spent plenty of time around bthe ASU QB stable.
ELWAY was fixated on brock, lets hope that fixation is justified; I will give JE the benefit of the doubt.

Chef Zambini
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
When Wolfe was drafted, people were wondering wtf. But now that I watch his film and compare to other DTs you notice how fast he penetrates compared to some of the slower and fatter 350 pound guys. Wolfe is probably the most athletic of the bunch. All those tackles for loss that he had are because he is a freakin athlete, not just a fat summo wrestler. I loved hearing what his coach at Cinncinati had to say about Wolfe. He has a chip on his shoulder because he thought he should have gone in the first round. This is one guy I cant wait to see. I like the WMD idea, Wolfe, Miller and Dumervil, whoever it was who came up with that. Thats good. I can see that happening. If he can learn from Von Miller how to have an impact as a rookie, look out.
Wolfe is going to be a beast, and he is going to see the field a lot. WMD!
wolfe is obviously a better pass rusher than the DTs taken a few picks behind him, but...
THEY seem to all be better run stuffers!
I still think our defense is going to be weak against the RUN and thats exactly what teams will be trying to establish and live off of against the manning offense!
if we FAIL to stop the run, brock will look just like manning, BOTH just standing on the sidelines.

Chef Zambini
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm happy with the draft results. As you say, there is no sexy pick(s), so it's hare to feel like the Broncos killed it. However, it's important to remember that Elway has said that the goal is to build a team that is a perennial playoff contender. So, while they've shown they want to win now, but spending $96 million on Manning, this draft clearly shows that they view the draft as building a foundation for years to come, rather than trying to get one or two players to help win now, while sacrificing the future.so HIGHTOWER and the RB MILLER, two guys we gave away, they didnt represent now or the future?
we f'd up not making these guys broncos !
Lets see who gets named to the pro-bowl,hightower or wolfe.
same with doug miller and hillman.
osweiler?
kellen moore will be a better QB and he was undrafted, we pissed away our second pick in a very important draft!
if JMCD had done this, all of you would be livid !

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
so HIGHTOWER and the RB MILLER, two guys we gave away, they didnt represent now or the future?
we f'd up not making these guys broncos !
Lets see who gets named to the pro-bowl,hightower or wolfe.
same with doug miller and hillman.
osweiler?
kellen moore will be a better QB and he was undrafted, we pissed away our second pick in a very important draft!
if JMCD had done this, all of you would be livid !

I'll go and say that I dont think Hightower, Wolfe, Hillman nor Martin will ever be Pro-Bowl players. Maybe 1 or 2 make it once, but nothing perennial.

However...I will also say it takes a certain bit of insanity to think that Moore will be a better QB than anyone drafted this year. He is completely a rhythmn QB. No size...no arm strength. Playing for Detroit or NO were really the only places he could even consider to have success because he will have to play in a dome at the next level. If you think Orton was weak armed...watch some film on Moore.

The kid will get killed and injured if he has to be a starter.

Jsteve01
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
FWIW, i honestly believe that brock O was more of an ELWAY pick than a "research" pick.
elways kid went to ASU, JE spent plenty of time around bthe ASU QB stable.
ELWAY was fixated on brock, lets hope that fixation is justified; I will give JE the benefit of the doubt.

Oz was rated anywhere from the 3rd to 5th qb in this class on every list I saw. with said ranking the 57th pick is about right.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Oz was rated anywhere from the 3rd to 5th qb in this class on every list I saw. with said ranking the 57th pick is about right.

I agree, but considering there were about 6 QB's worth drafting...that's not saying too much.

But next year...there could be 6 QB's with 1st or 2nd round grades.

MOtorboat
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
what I tried to express was that we had a chance to actually DRAFT Mathews but selected some timmy guy instead!
the only thing I am comparing is the REGRET that will haunt us for the rest of their playing careers!

they were so fixated on both wolfe and osweiler that they FAILED to consider other options!
they had already targeted BOTH, the same can be said of HILLMAN, so when quality guys who can help this team NOW were available, they refused to consider them !
but taking miller or HIGHTOWER would have meant possibly getting a different DT or doubtful, missing a chance to take brock, so the EFX pissed those chances away !
wolfe, brock and hillman better be able to contribute and be studs because we passed on alot of STUDS to make sure we got them !
again I remind you all that we had TWO chances to draft in the first round and we pissed them both away ! the teams and players that filled those spots are now being unanimously praised by every person that has a voice on the subject!
... and our second pick overall is a guy we hope to never see in a real game for at least 3 years and if we do, most agree he wont be ready.
meanwhile kellen moore is a guy who could lead an offense day ONE in the NFL, but hell, everybody passed on him because of one lousy inch
rediculous.

Hogwash. There's not a single ounce of evidence to support any of this crap.

TXBRONC
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM

rediculous.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but right now I'm understading from your post is that because didn't get players you were more comfortable with EFX is incompetent. If that's what you really mean imho that would be arrogant.

Northman
05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe I'm reading you wrong but right now I'm understading from your post is that because didn't get players you were more comfortable with EFX is incompetent. If that's what you really mean imho that would be arrogant.

I love how he confused Doug Martin with Lamar Miller. haha

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
my problem with EFX draft is that they were so locked into who they were going to select in each round that they FAILED to look up from their own little world of evaluations and see what was available!

They probably assumed that PITT would take HIGHTOWER and they were so buisy negotiating with the PATS, that when the steelers drafted their Olineman instead, the broncos failed to realize that HIGHTOWER was still available.
when they moved back to 31 they were still fixed on WOLFE as their first choice, gave the pick to TAMPA to move down, and never noticed that doug martin, the boise state RB, and a damn good one at that was available.
"no in-game adjustment"
ELWAY jumped on osweiler just like JMCD jumped on tebow.
its the exact same M.O. !
I just hope ELWAY has a better feel for QB talent .
I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.
EFX got the guys they wanted, they ignored all the other possibilities, I hope their blinders aproach works out !
Go Broncos !

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Hogwash. There's not a single ounce of evidence to support any of this crap.so I must be deleriousthen.
the broncos didnt trade away the #25 pick to NE?
the broncos then didnt trade away the #31 pick to tampa?
Nobody is calling hightower and martin great selections, i made it all up in y crack-head little brain i guess.
silly me.
..and all these post draft reports from the bronco media praising the broncos for sticking to their gameplan all along, that didnt happen either.
its all hogwash fer sure.
be sure to clean the sand out of your ears when you pull your head out !

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Moore played in 53 games as a starter in college. he never got killed or injured.
all he needs is opportunity, or a tape measure thats off by one lousy freakin inch.
this kid can play, this kid can win, and he can deliver the ball to his receivers and make the chains move and the scoreboard light up ! MONTANA didnt have a strong arm either !
most of his passing TDs were 10 yard slants that turned into 70 yard touchdowns.
COUSINS was listed above brockO in many war rooms too.
its all subjective, everyone has an opinion.
EWAY loves brock.
I just wish we didnt feel compelled to use our second overall pick on the project, but hopefully it will all work out.

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I agree, but considering there were about 6 QB's worth drafting...that's not saying too much.

But next year...there could be 6 QB's with 1st or 2nd round grades.and that why to me it seems retarded to use our second overall pick in this draft for ANY qb,

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I love how he confused Doug Martin with Lamar Miller. hahayes , that was LAME !

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Moore played in 53 games as a starter in college. he never got killed or injured.
all he needs is opportunity, or a tape measure thats off by one lousy freakin inch.
this kid can play, this kid can win, and he can deliver the ball to his receivers and make the chains move and the scoreboard light up ! MONTANA didnt have a strong arm either !
most of his passing TDs were 10 yard slants that turned into 70 yard touchdowns.
EWAY loves brock.
I just wish we didnt feel compelled to use our second overall pick on the project, but hopefully it will all work out.

I love how you continue to describe Colt McCoy to a T and you don't even know it.

TXBRONC
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
my problem with EFX draft is that they were so locked into who they were going to select in each round that they FAILED to look up from their own little world of evaluations and see what was available!

They probably assumed that PITT would take HIGHTOWER and they were so buisy negotiating with the PATS, that when the steelers drafted their Olineman instead, the broncos failed to realize that HIGHTOWER was still available.
when they moved back to 31 they were still fixed on WOLFE as their first choice, gave the pick to TAMPA to move down, and never noticed that doug martin, the boise state RB, and a damn good one at that was available.
"no in-game adjustment"
ELWAY jumped on osweiler just like JMCD jumped on tebow.
its the exact same M.O. !
I just hope ELWAY has a better feel for QB talent .
I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.
EFX got the guys they wanted, they ignored all the other possibilities, I hope their blinders aproach works out !
Go Broncos !

How the hell do you know that they were locked on to those players and thought of nothing else. I go out on a limb that you weren't there to evaluate those players nor were you in the war room when they made their picks.

Do realize how hypocritical you sound. You've done nothing but bitch how EFX didn't take Hightower, Moore, and Martin. Yet you're complaining about EFX taking took a blinders approach to the draft. 32 teams through seven rounds passed on Moore yet you keep telling us on how great he is. I don't think you have any clue about player evaluation.

Jsteve01
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
EWAY loves brock.

every team in the league passed on Moore. There is a reason. I like the kid. Hope he succeeds but he's got a long way to go to prove he can transition to the pro game.

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 10:59 AM
the reason, he is barely 6 feet tall. thats the ONLY reason. and if brock was 6'9' then he would have been passed on too!
"level headed aproach"
thats one way to say it.
for me its obvious to see they locked down on selections in advance and FAILED to take advantage of opportunities.
only the players can justify the method;
we will see how that turns out, again I hope the method is justified by the results on the field.

silkamilkamonico
05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
the reason, he is barely 6 feet tall. thats the ONLY reason. and if brock was 6'9' then he would have been passed on too!
"level headed aproach"
thats one way to say it.
for me its obvious to see they locked down on selections in advance and FAILED to take advantage of opportunities.
we will see how that turns out, again I hope the method is justified by the results on the field.

The only one in love with Moore is you, and that includes 32 NFL teams who passed on him time and time again.

The dude isn't even the best QB to not get drafted.

Chef Zambini
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM
How the hell do you know that they were locked on to those players and thought of nothing else. I go out on a limb that you weren't there to evaluate those players nor were you in the war room when they made their picks.

Do realize how hypocritical you sound. You've done nothing but bitch how EFX didn't take Hightower, Moore, and Martin. Yet you're complaining about EFX taking took a blinders approach to the draft. 32 teams through seven rounds passed on Moore yet you keep telling us on how great he is. I don't think you have any clue about player evaluation.so ypou believe the broncos deliberatly passed on HIGHTOWER and MARTIN, feeling they could not help the team.
is that your contention?
moore is just an example of other QB talent available. COUSINS is another one !
The broncos were too focused on trading down and too focused on specific players, wolfe and brock, to consider other options and opportunities, thats my big beef !

Ravage!!!
05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
"level headed aproach"
thats one way to say it.

Its so funny that you feel this way with NEVER EVER EVER having a single ounce of experience...whatsoever.. in a warroom. You think that these guys are so blinded, inexperienced, and uninformed...that they "focus in on certain players" without having the ability to see the big picture as well as you do? Really? So far you have shown that you can't seem to look past as short QB that no NFL GM/coach/organization wanted, and yet you want to criticize those that actually know what they are doing... on having "too much focus" on one player. I find it blindly ignorant to suggest that the team "FAILED" to see what YOU did. Your football knowledge and ability to scout player talent has absolutely... ZERO...credibility. Your criticisms of anyone's approach, is beyond the word absurd.

Moore is NOT an NFL starting caliber QB. This "all he does is win" .. is so ridiculously overblown. Nearly EVERY QB that comes into the NFL draft... WON a TON of games. It's why they are at the level they are at. Ryan Leaf won a ton of games. Vince Young, "all he did was win." Heath Shuler. Hell, look at a two time national Champion and Heisman trophy winner, Matt Leinart. Its such an overrated statement. How many of the top QBs in the NFL won a Heisman trophy? How many won a national championship?

Look at the history of the NFL. How many QBs of Moore's size have succeeded? Flutie is about the closest, and he was a failure at the NFL level. Why would you want our GMs/coaches to be the team to try and "buck" the HUGE sample size that has proved over the years? Would that really be smart NFL drafting? To feel that we found the "one" player that will do something NO OTHER QB has done purely because YOU feel he can? Thats not smart drafting, thats ignorance.

The only thing that is obvious, is that you are just sad the team didn't draft your favorite players.

Jsteve01
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Funny think about your assertion zam is that Matt Russel is a former middle backer. IF he's got any bias don't you think he'd lean Hightower over Wolfe? The Broncos like Mays and Irving. The glaring hole was at DT. Especially with the lost of our best pass rushing DT from last season. I agree that rb and MLB are potential needs. UT is a gaping hole.

bcbronc
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
We had a pass rushing DT last season? Heck, we shoulda dressed him then.

topscribe
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
"level headed aproach"
thats one way to say it.
There is another reason, Zam: Moore has a popgun arm. I don't believe he
can pass with the velocity needed for the tight windows and timing routes in
the pros, which are generally not there in college. And from the way he was
ignored 253 times in the draft, I may not be alone in that belief . . .