PDA

View Full Version : When is it OK to trade Brady?

SmilinAssasSin27
05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
OK, so I have Brady as my QB in my dynasty keeper league. But I also have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Jason Campbell.

My RBs are Clinton Portis, Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, Chester Taylor, Ray Rice, Ricky Williams

My WRs are Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Terrell Owens, Roddy White, Donnie Avery

TEs are Tony Gonzalez and Zach Miller

I have the #8 pick in the draft. With that, I'm likely gonna be able to draft the likes of Matt Stafford, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin, DH-B or MAYBE Shaun Greene (but I doubt he lasts that long).

I expect the top 6 picks to include (INPO) Sanchez, Wells, Moreno, McCoy, Donald Brown and Crabtree. Now there may be a surprise, but I know the drafters pretty well.

Now I love my WRs so I don't think there is a need for Harvin or Maclin. And I don't want a QB. Although, I'd take Sanchez if he dropped. My RBs are decent and get the job done, but they are also aging and this is clearly where my primary need is at.

That being said, I want to know what kind of value Tom Brady has right now. He is coming off of an injury and has been in the league for about a decade now. He's far from old, but he is aging. His line has diminished somewhat and the OC that got him his great stats is now coaching in Denver. I don't wanna wait too long to try and get sumthin for Brady, but I also believe he'll still be good for a while. The question is...How good? In this type of league, you must always think of the future.

The team w/ the #1 pick has Aaron Rodgers and he has expressed interest in acquiring Brady. He said he will NOT trade away the #1 pick to ANYONE, unless a deal includes Brady. Do I even consider pulling the trigger on Brady and the #8 overall for Rodgers and the #1 overall? Not everyone loves Rodgers, but I am pretty high on him. Landing the #1 secures Moreno or Chris Wells for me, thus solidifying my RBs. And I would still have Ryan and Rodgers at QB.

And I have already acquired 3 first round picks in my 2010 draft.

3 side questions:

1...Percy Harvin...get him or stay away if I stay at #8 and there are no RBs?

2...Please remove all homer glasses and consider offenses, competition, etc...Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno if ya had the #1 overall?

3...How good can James Davis be in Cleveland? His play tailed off, but only after his line got depleted, his coach was fired and the QB carousel began.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
There won't be a time that Brady has HIGHER value than right now. The last season he played, he went 18-0. Still considered the best in the NFL, and still has Belicheck. The team went 11-5 last season with a career back-up in Cassel. He still has Moss and Welker, and they improved the WR corp this offseason. I don't think you'll find a better time to get value for him than right now.

I personally think you need one more good WR. Marshall and Royal won't get the catches they had in the past, and Owens just went to team that isn't going to be majorly productive through the air (plus is getting older). But none are worth that pick unless you get a player-for-player trade.

Thats how I see it.

That being said.. I would pull that trigger. You'll never get higher than a #1 overall pick, and you are still getting a pretty good QB in Rodgers. Add in the moreno pick (or wells... thats a tough call).... and you did pretty well, although Brady will be around a few years.. his production will NEVER reach what it did in 2007 again and its been two years in a row where he has been injured.

I wrote a thread about how the foot injury (following his knee injury.... that then went into a MAJOR knee injury) could be the road leading towards the end of Brady. Once a QB starts going down that road, its harder for them to regain that same 'ol form again. I think Brady with his rash of current injuries has started well down that road.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
There won't be a time that Brady has HIGHER value than right now. The last season he played, he went 18-0. Still considered the best in the NFL, and still has Belicheck. The team went 11-5 last season with a career back-up in Cassel. He still has Moss and Welker, and they improved the WR corp this offseason. I don't think you'll find a better time to get value for him than right now.

I personally think you need one more good WR. Marshall and Royal won't get the catches they had in the past, and Owens just went to team that isn't going to be majorly productive through the air (plus is getting older). But none are worth that pick unless you get a player-for-player trade.

Thats how I see it.

Thanx

I have a trade in the works for Greg Jennings. We have an agreement in principle that gets me Jennings and a second round pick in 2010 for TO and either Flacco or Campbell. Either QB is expendable and it'd give me a younger WR while clearing roster space...which is a huge consdieration in this league.

edit...saw your addition

Ravage!!!
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanx

I have a trade in the works for Greg Jennings. We have an agreement in principle that gets me Jennings and a second round pick in 2010 for TO and either Flacco or Campbell. Either QB is expendable and it'd give me a younger WR while clearing roster space...which is a huge consdieration in this league.

So do you think the Brady/Rodgers w/ swapping picks trade is a fair one?

I added to my earlier post.... since ou are getting the #1 pick along with that, yes I do. In a fantasy league that can get you a top RB and a 2nd year starting QB that showed as much as Rodgers... absolutely.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
OK...I did it.

I gave:

Brady, Jason Campbell, the #8 overall and my second best #1 in 2010

I get:

Aaron Rodgers, Kevin Walter and the #1 overall.

Now..who do I take at #1?

Moreno...dynamic in a system who needs a runner.
McCoy...LOVE how Reid uses the banged up Westbrook.
Wells...Has the ball all to himself and a pass attack which should free him up.
Brown...Addai is average and Brown looks to be a great fit.

MOtorboat
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
For this year's No. 1?

I wouldn't have done that...

SmilinAssasSin27
05-12-2009, 08:45 AM
My other QBs are Flacco and Ryan. Campbell was likely to be dropped to make roster space anyways so he was just a toss in. Adding Rodgers definitely made Brady expendable. He was the #2 Qb in my league in 2008. Plus I doubt Brady will come anywhere near repeating his 2007 stats again. I inherited this team last year and am trying to make it my own. I'm happy w/ my WRs, but my RBs are aging. Portis and Thomas Jones are my 2 horses. I also have Julius Jones, Chester Taylor, Ricky Williams and Ray Rice. The #1 pick will ensure me my shot at a stud RB...I just have to pick the right one.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Post draft, the deal now looks like this:

He got...Brady, Jason Campbell, Hakeem Nicks and my second best #1 in 2010

I got...Aaron Rodgers, Kevin Walter and Knowshon Moreno.