PDA

View Full Version : Fox and Co. don’t care about experts’ draft boards

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
John Fox won’t be a popular man in Bristol, Conn. after taking a shot at TV draft analysts tonight.

The Broncos were widely criticized on social media by Broncos fans Friday night when the team selected three players who weren’t necessarily in line with the many mock drafts created by folks like Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock and others.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/27/fox-care-experts-draft-boards/13228/

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Broncos head coach John Fox met with the local media tonight at the conclusion of the second and third rounds of the NFL draft, and spoke about the team’s three picks: defensive tackle Derek Wolfe, quarterback Brock Osweiler and running back Ronnie Hillman.

Here is Fox’s take on each new player:

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/27/quick-hits-fox-wolfe-osweiler-hillman/13226/

DenBronx
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Wolfe is a monster and with all of the speed coming off of the edges Wolfe might get alot of sacks himself. When you have Peyton Manning beating you through the air then teams will have to pass....ALOT. So, Wolfe and co. might be licking their chops to get to the QB.

I'm not overly impressed with the draft but I trust the front office. Has nothing to do with the players we took, just thought we could have waited on a few and they still would have been there. Saying that, I can't wait to see all of our rookies play next year. Wolfe looks like a starter day 1 at DT.

underrated29
04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Value means dick. It really does. All that matters is if the players you have are better than then theirs. Regardless of where you got them or what you gave up to get them.

I use this same approach in Fantasy Football. I say it every year too, but I have won my big money leagues every year since my first year because of that. You can draft the Great Value team. I am going to reach and draft the studs and stars early or late or whatever. I dont give a rats ass about value. I just want winners. And when you finish at 8-8 but got great value- no one will remember. But when I win the money and the championship they will remember my team. They always do. And value is never given a single thought.

nflfan
04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
The Broncos may not see the significance of the drafts of Kiper, McShay, and Mayock, but these drafts were made not just with their own personal studies of the different athletes, but also from interviewing several experienced scouts ... scouts who's jobs are to see how prospects project into the NFL.

All teams' big boards will differ, based on different teams' roster building philosophies and how these tie with their systems, but there should be some similarities in grades for most of the top players, because a scout is a scout.

If the Broncos' big board is so different from those of other teams, then Elway should take a hard look at his scouts and the system they use for evaluation.

Not saying these are good or bad picks, but remember, it wasn't long ago that a "genius" who had a totally different draft board than any other team ran this franchise to the ground.

Chef Zambini
04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
elway and Co. got the players they wanted, guys they scouted and interviewed. they put on blinders and ignored the opportunities that the actual process provided.
KNOWING they have built this team around MANNING with a short 3-5 year window, they TWICE FAILED to draft a player in the FIRST ROUND.
sorry, thats just retarded, and telling me there was nobody there they liked is some smelly bullshit folks!
if JMCD pulled that crap we would all be on his front lawn !
you all know its true.

Jsteve01
04-29-2012, 10:09 AM
The Broncos may not see the significance of the drafts of Kiper, McShay, and Mayock, but these drafts were made not just with their own personal studies of the different athletes, but also from interviewing several experienced scouts ... scouts who's jobs are to see how prospects project into the NFL.

All teams' big boards will differ, based on different teams' roster building philosophies and how these tie with their systems, but there should be some similarities in grades for most of the top players, because a scout is a scout.

If the Broncos' big board is so different from those of other teams, then Elway should take a hard look at his scouts and the system they use for evaluation.

Not saying these are good or bad picks, but remember, it wasn't long ago that a "genius" who had a totally different draft board than any other team ran this franchise to the ground.touche

Northman
04-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Value means dick. It really does. All that matters is if the players you have are better than then theirs. Regardless of where you got them or what you gave up to get them.

^This

Bottom line its about making solid picks. If every player that Denver selected this year pans out and win championships than they were wise choices. If not, than Elway and company take heat for it. Plain and simple. But, like every other draft choice they need more than a day of or after the draft to prove themselves before people start cliff diving.

underrated29
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
elway and Co. got the players they wanted, guys they scouted and interviewed. they put on blinders and ignored the opportunities that the actual process provided.
KNOWING they have built this team around MANNING with a short 3-5 year window, they TWICE FAILED to draft a player in the FIRST ROUND.
sorry, thats just retarded, and telling me there was nobody there they liked is some smelly bullshit folks!
if JMCD pulled that crap we would all be on his front lawn !
you all know its true.

So would you be happy if we took Wolfe at 26. Brock at 57. Then burned our two 4thsis to move up for Holman, because without our trades back we would have to surrender more since we were 21 picks back....thus we would nit have Phil Blake or olden the CB.

Would that make you happier?

Northman
04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
So would you be happy if we took Wolfe at 26. Brock at 57. Then burned our two 4thsis to move up for Holman, because without our trades back we would have to surrender more since we were 21 picks back....thus we would nit have Phil Blake or olden the CB.

Would that make you happier?

I would say no. lol

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I posted this in another thread - On Friday, one of the local sportscasters said - in reaction to fans being upset with the Broncos trading out of the first round - "the Broncos' draft started in free agency".

BroncoStud
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM
The Broncos draft didn't start in free agency... They are individual and separate processes. Denver did well in free agency (other than losing Bunkley) and did not position themselves well in the draft and left value at the table.

Sorry, any other attempt at sugar-coating just isn't rational. I'm not saying the players they selected won't contribute, who know, just that they squandered value.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I think we've all graduated from the Draftniks like Kiper, l don't know anybody that takes him seriously. He bases most of his analysis from contacts in the agent side of the business, that info can be usefull as long as you don't take it as gospel. His reports read more like a biography than an actual scouting report. I don't know much about McShay but with so much info available from Cooney, Mayock, Horton, Coyle and Lande l barely have enough interest to visit his mock drafts.

A lot of these scouting sources are former scouts compiling info from their network of fellow scouts, but it's true that these guys didn't put as much work into the players as the Broncos did, it's impossible. It's not BLESTO but it's not some dude in his parents basement either. It's reasonable to think that the Broncos started out with much the same impression as anybody else but the more they dug the more they liked these players. The Broncos reaction to these questions was predictable, but it's not like it was in '86 when fans wanted to crusify Walsh for what turned out to be one of the best draft classes ever, fans and media are far more educated than ever.

Otoh, you have to be increasingly weary of misinformation and propaganda from all these sources, not only by way of teams, agents and players with an agenda, but from people who seemingly just wanna make big splash by making outrageous and extreme statements, re Nolan Nawrocki/Cam Newton.......

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
The Broncos draft didn't start in free agency... They are individual and separate processes. Denver did well in free agency (other than losing Bunkley) and did not position themselves well in the draft and left value at the table.

Sorry, any other attempt at sugar-coating just isn't rational. I'm not saying the players they selected won't contribute, who know, just that they squandered value.

Both free agency and the draft serve the same purpose - i.e. - add players. Free agency adds proven players. I could care less how the Broncos choose to add players.

CoachChaz
04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
And if they get 3 or 4 starters from next years draft and win a championship...no one will give a damn about this years draft.

Did anyone care about tge bad drafts in the mid 90's when we won in 98-99?

Northman
04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
And if they get 3 or 4 starters from next years draft and win a championship...no one will give a damn about this years draft.

Did anyone care about tge bad drafts in the mid 90's when we won in 98-99?

Excellent point.

Day1BroncoFan
04-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm not ready to put the axe to the wood yet. It won't be long before we have an idea how this will turn out. I hope it's good. I'm giving the benifit of the doubt for now.

I'm keeping my axe sharp.