PDA

View Full Version : John Lynch impressed by Broncos moves

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12318476?source=rss

John Lynch, who briefly played in the New England Patriots' training camp after being released from the Broncos last summer, is in support of new Denver coach Josh McDaniels, the former Patriots coordinator, and is a big fan of new safety Brian Dawkins.

Lynch assessed the Broncos' busy and controversial offseason Thursday while wrapping up the 11th annual John Lynch Foundation "Salute the Stars" awards luncheon at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"I think the plan is starting to show itself," Lynch said. "For a long time, there hasn't been change here, and then all of a sudden there is a lot of change. And then people felt like they weren't addressing the things that need attention — the defense. They were tinkering with the offense, and ultimately we lost our quarterback, who was a stud. I have mixed feelings on that.

"But I like the fact that they're going after character players, guys that love football. That excites me."

Lynch, who will begin working as an NFL analyst on Fox next season, wouldn't elaborate on Denver's decision to trade quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago. But during his opening comments to the outstanding local junior-high and high-school student-athletes he was honoring, Lynch said. "It all culminated when our quarterback didn't return calls from the owner. That's not the best idea for you young kids out there. You work for someone, you call them back."

Later during an interview, Lynch said he likes the way McDaniels has brought the "Patriot Way" to Denver, signing "character" players like Dawkins, the hard-hitting defensive leader from Philadelphia.

"I'm very fond of the way they do things in New England. That's why I went there, and I wouldn't have played anywhere else," Lynch said. "I went there for the opportunity to play for that organization, and I had an opportunity to be around Josh McDaniels and was thoroughly impressed.

"Believe me, you don't get to that position in that organization without the respect of a guy that's hard to earn respect of, and that's Bill Belichick. I think (McDaniels) is going to do some outstanding things."

About Dawkins, Lynch said: "Brian Dawkins is one of my good friends who I've had as much respect for as anyone, and getting him makes me really happy," Lynch said. "I think that defense has been missing (leadership). The best teams have multiple leaders, and you've lost Al Wilson and the void of myself, and they needed someone to come in and help guys like Champ (Bailey) and D.J. (Williams). I think (Dawkins) is one of the best that this league has seen and I'm excited to watch him play."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com

Italianmobstr7
05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Awesome article.

BRONCOSFREAK765
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
So more or less he is saying Champ and D.J. are not leaders?

BRONCOSFREAK765
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
So more or less he is saying Champ and D.J. are not leaders?

nvm I read that wrong.

T.K.O.
05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
i think he's saying the d needs more leaders not that champ is not,the best teams have "multiple leaders" and they need "help"
and i agree john is right....were gonna be great !uhhh or better....

Tned
05-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I thought it was interesting the way he was talking about the Broncos as 'his' team, "we lost our QB" and stuff like that.

SoCalImport
05-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I thought it was interesting the way he was talking about the Broncos as 'his' team, "we lost our QB" and stuff like that.

Yeah. I thought that was pretty cool. All those years in Tampa, and Lynch obviously thinks of himself as a Bronco. Maybe He'll be inducted into canton as a Bronco?
Then again. That might kill his chances right there

gobroncsnv
05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I thought it was interesting where he said the Patriot way is to bring in players of character, yet they had Rodney Harrison????

Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching Lynch play, even when he was with Tampa... great guy, great for the game, great teammate, and great player in his prime. Bummer we only had him at the last... Glad to see him use a pretty solid teaching moment for those kids... You call the boss back, no matter what.

MOtorboat
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought it was interesting where he said the Patriot way is to bring in players of character, yet they had Rodney Harrison????

Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching Lynch play, even when he was with Tampa... great guy, great for the game, great teammate, and great player in his prime. Bummer we only had him at the last... Glad to see him use a pretty solid teaching moment for those kids... You call the boss back, no matter what.

Rodney Harrison wasn't a character issue player, he was a "fine-prone player for on the field incidents."

The only real "character problem" player they really took in was Moss, and since then his character problems have been absolutely non-existent.

Northman
05-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Rodney Harrison wasn't a character issue player, he was a "fine-prone player for on the field incidents."

The only real "character problem" player they really took in was Moss, and since then his character problems have been absolutely non-existent.

I agree, i had no problem with Harrison at all. Maybe he got a cheap shot in there once in a while but the dude was a baller.

Bronco4ever
05-07-2009, 11:45 PM

That's what I focused on when I read the article. It's odd that other Bronco homers in the media like Tom Jackson don't call the Broncos his team (although we all know it's his team) as often as Lynch just did. That says quite a bit when the guy only played four of his HOF career seasons here.

Lonestar
05-08-2009, 12:46 AM
That's what I focused on when I read the article. It's odd that other Bronco homers in the media like Tom Jackson don't call the Broncos his team (although we all know it's his team) as often as Lynch just did. That says quite a bit when the guy only played four of his HOF career seasons here.

as soon as he is working full time for Fox there will be less and less of the MY team stuff as he has to be seen as impartial..

TJ and Sharpe are still covert broncos..

Yes it was a pleasure to have a guy with that much class on the team, when they lost Al and then mike ditched him the team was rudderless.

Champ and DJ maybe senior broncos but by no means vocal rah rah leaders like Al and John were they tend to lead by example..

omac
05-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Glad there's a change of sentiment on Lynch. I remember posters lambasting him for the comments he made about playing for the Patriots, and some posters showing satisfaction when he was released by the Pats.

LoyalSoldier
05-08-2009, 04:51 AM
as soon as he is working full time for Fox there will be less and less of the MY team stuff as he has to be seen as impartial..

TJ and Sharpe are still covert broncos..

Yes it was a pleasure to have a guy with that much class on the team, when they lost Al and then mike ditched him the team was rudderless.

Champ and DJ maybe senior broncos but by no means vocal rah rah leaders like Al and John were they tend to lead by example..

Eh I am not so sure Sharpe is covert. ;)

Dirk
05-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Nice write up. Thanks Carol!

The first thing I thought of when Dawkins was signed was the leadership he will bring to the defense. Not unlike Lynch. So even though he is a little long in the tooth, good pick up.

frauschieze
05-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Maybe I have selective memory, but the way I remember it, we brought in the morons McCree and Manuel and Lynch did not want to have to compete for his starting position and wanted to be a three down safety. He asked for his release.

Northman
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Glad there's a change of sentiment on Lynch. I remember posters lambasting him for the comments he made about playing for the Patriots, and some posters showing satisfaction when he was released by the Pats.

Actually, i am still kind of pissed how he handled that particular situation. But i think him being released by the Pats only solidified that it was time for him to hang it up. Even though i agree with what he says here and have liked him as a player he still makes mistakes like a lot of people.

Northman
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe I have selective memory, but the way I remember it, we brought in the morons McCree and Manuel and Lynch did not want to have to compete for his starting position and wanted to be a three down safety. He asked for his release.

Absolutely.

Lonestar
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Eh I am not so sure Sharpe is covert. ;)

When I have seen him he has either loved them or hated them.. I do not watch those shows that much any more.. So perhaps he has changed since I saw him last..i

Lonestar
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Yes he did after, intitally he was not offered a contract until Pat stepped in, after he re-signed then they brought in two mokes .. then being told he would not be considered a 3 down DB.. I suspect he saw the writing between the lines and decided he would not get a fair shake here.. afterall if it take the owner to intercede, well..........

IMHO he felt was dissed by mike and wanted to get a fair chance..

Of course I might have those facts above incorrect also..

The facts are is after he left we had a total vacuum of leadership on that side of the LOS.. Something that mike was not smart enough to understand..

Ravage!!!
05-08-2009, 11:24 AM

YOu have it right. Lynch was under contract with the Broncos. Bowlen even went directly to him and asked him to not retire and come play for another season. When he saw at the camps that he wasn't going to be a full-time safety, he asked to be released so he could find another team. Something Mike, nor the broncos, had to do...but out of respect for John, Mike let him go.

Shows what a classy guy Mike Shanahan is and how much respect he had for John Lynch. :beer:

frauschieze
05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes he did after, intitally he was not offered a contract until Pat stepped in, after he re-signed then they brought in two mokes .. then being told he would not be considered a 3 down DB.. I suspect he saw the writing between the lines and decided he would not get a fair shake here.. afterall if it take the owner to intercede, well..........

IMHO he felt was dissed by mike and wanted to get a fair chance..

Of course I might have those facts above incorrect also..

The facts are is after he left we had a total vacuum of leadership on that side of the LOS.. Something that mike was not smart enough to understand..

I'm pretty sure he wasn't a free agent, but rather did a renegotiated contract for less money.

I will definitely agree about the vacuum of leadership. That was readily apparent. I don't, however, think that it's Shanahan's fault that Lynch was not happy with what we were offering and left. As a coach, he needed to put the best players on the field.

Ultimately, Lynch didn't make it out of the Pats' training camp and no other team signed him. Was he still better than the M & M morons? Probably, since we had the WORST safeties in the entire league last year. He may have even been a three down starter. But he didn't stick around to find out.

That has nothing to do with how smart or not smart Shanahan is.

Lonestar
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure he wasn't a free agent, but rather did a renegotiated contract for less money.

I will definitely agree about the vacuum of leadership. That was readily apparent. I don't, however, think that it's Shanahan's fault that Lynch was not happy with what we were offering and left. As a coach, he needed to put the best players on the field.

Ultimately, Lynch didn't make it out of the Pats' training camp and no other team signed him. Was he still better than the M & M morons? Probably, since we had the WORST safeties in the entire league last year. He may have even been a three down starter. But he didn't stick around to find out.

That has nothing to do with how smart or not smart Shanahan is.

pretty sure John signed a 4 year contract when he came here and played all those years and he was indeed a FA now I could be wrong .. but that what is remember him not getting an offer or phone call from mike about staying and it took Pat to step in and force the issue..

IMO he was dissed by mike and most likely would not have seen the field because mike brought in two vets to work safety spots... John is a smart guy and saw the hand writing on the wall and asked to be released so he could move on and maybe find someplace to play..

had he stayed perhaps he would have played by years end who knows for sure.. But I suspect he would have rode the pine for most of the year and John had to much pride to do that..

And frankly you do not subject a HOF player like that.. at least I would not..

mike did a lot of dumb things while he was here and this case was in the top 10 of not SMART, IMHO..

T.K.O.
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
"We just need to play better and play harder," he said. "We need to get a better attitude because our attitude stinks out there."

champ bailey

i think this sums up alot of the trouble on d last year...you could just see the players flailing around wondering who was supposed to do what.
i just hope dawkins and whoever can fill lynch's shoes and bring some PRIDE back to the broncos D

getlynched47
05-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Dear John Lynch,

Sorry, you're my idol but I do not feel the same way as you. I'm not impressed, but I hope it works out.

-GL47

LoyalSoldier
05-08-2009, 06:10 PM
When I have seen him he has either loved them or hated them.. I do not watch those shows that much any more.. So perhaps he has changed since I saw him last..i

At times he it is rather obvious. Kind of like when he put the Broncos cap on.

AlWilsonizKING
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
T.J. and Sharpe are still covert broncos.

Off topic.....

Hmmmmm, you would think Sharpe had only played for the Ravens as much as he likes to talk about them all the time.

....ok carry on.

PEACE!!!

horsepig
05-08-2009, 09:20 PM

TJ's just being what he always was, a consumate pro.

Northman
05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
pretty sure John signed a 4 year contract when he came here and played all those years and he was indeed a FA now I could be wrong .. but that what is remember him not getting an offer or phone call from mike about staying and it took Pat to step in and force the issue..

IMO he was dissed by mike and most likely would not have seen the field because mike brought in two vets to work safety spots... John is a smart guy and saw the hand writing on the wall and asked to be released so he could move on and maybe find someplace to play..

had he stayed perhaps he would have played by years end who knows for sure.. But I suspect he would have rode the pine for most of the year and John had to much pride to do that..

And frankly you do not subject a HOF player like that.. at least I would not..

mike did a lot of dumb things while he was here and this case was in the top 10 of not SMART, IMHO..

Emmm, sorry big dog. Have to disagree with your sentiment there. Shanahan flat out told Lynch that he would have to compete for the job. And it was for good reason. Because of his age and health he was becoming a huge liability in the passing game. Now the two yo-yo's that Shanny signed to compete with him were just as worthless but John flat out didnt want to compete for the job. So, as pointed out the Broncos released him because John said he wanted to be a starter and thus went to NE only to be cut. Your correct, the writing was on the wall but it wasnt because he was somehow done wrong by being asked to compete for a starting job.

Lonestar
05-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Emmm, sorry big dog. Have to disagree with your sentiment there. Shanahan flat out told Lynch that he would have to compete for the job. And it was for good reason. Because of his age and health he was becoming a huge liability in the passing game. Now the two yo-yo's that Shanny signed to compete with him were just as worthless but John flat out didnt want to compete for the job. So, as pointed out the Broncos released him because John said he wanted to be a starter and thus went to NE only to be cut. Your correct, the writing was on the wall but it wasnt because he was somehow done wrong by being asked to compete for a starting job.

I do not think John was concerned about fighting for a job if the playing field was level.. When he did not reps in TC something told him it was a sham..

When I said the handwriting was on the wall. when the HC does not want you any longer as indicated by Pat having to prod mike into action something is wrong.. Had Pat not interceded John would have been gone earlier..

Then to have mike sign to more guys just afterward further tells you something..

John wanted to play and I would guess knowing that Pat had to talk mike into getting off the dime and then having mike sign two more guys well it does not take a genius to read what was on mikes mind..

John asked for his release when it was apparent he would not be getting time on the field during TC to fight for the job.. IIRC..

He wanted a fighting chance to secure a job elsewhere IF he was not going to get a fair shake in DEN..