PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe's decision to wait pays off when Broncos take him in 2nd round

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
The waiting game during an NFL Draft day can be cruel.

Just ask the Broncos' first pick, former University of Cincinnati defensive tackle Derek Wolfe who was voted 2011 Big East Conference co-defensive player of the year.

During the months leading to the draft, Wolfe (6-foot-5, 295 pounds) had a lot of contact with Baltimore coaches and management. When the Ravens' second-round pick came up Friday night, Wolfe was sure his phone would ring and his name would flash on the TV screen.

But with the fourth pick of the second round, Baltimore instead chose Alabama linebacker Courtney Upshaw.

rest of article - good - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20504116/wolfes-decision-wait-pays-off-when-broncos-take

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 04:32 PM
He was having a lot of talks with Baltimore, and I'm sure Wolfe's agent was having contact with Baltimore and they were telling him that they planned on taking him. Baltimore probably just had Upshaw one higher on their board, and didn't expect him to be around.

The good news, is that this shows that grading Wolfe this high wasn't something that Denver "over valued"...or "panicked" about. They grabbed a solid player that got some major interest from a team that has a reputation for drafting very well. :salute:

SR
04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm not real excited about the guy

Ziggy
04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Isn't it funny how much of a reach a player is when the Broncos take him high in the 2nd..........until we find out that Ozzie wanted him in the 2nd as well? Then it becomes a legit pick all of the sudden. Hopefully EFX will be looked at the same way as Ozzie is in 3-4 years.

Dzone
04-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I just like the idea of better quarterback pressure up the middle to help VonDoom

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos

Wolfe said after that Super Bowl in 1998 (he was 7), he wanted to write John Elway a letter to say how mean he was. His opinion has changed

Wolfe's favorite team as a kid was the Packers because of Reggie White. Said he cried when Broncos beat Packers in Super Bowl.

BroncoWave
04-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Yeah we should have drafted Burfict instead huh?

broncobryce
04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm warming up to this guy. Motor for a DT is huge, and in his interview he said he takes pride in not being tired when the other guy is. Relentlessness is a very good trait to have. With him and Garland hopefully this line will wear out other teams. We can hope

SR
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Yeah we should have drafted Burfict instead huh?

You're comprehension skills are impeccable. I actually said I didn't think Denver wanted to take a chance on someone with issues like Burfict. I don't really think you read my post at all in that thread but goddamn you sure are enjoying trolling all of my posts.

BroncoWave
04-28-2012, 06:10 PM
You're comprehension skills are impeccable. I actually said I didn't think Denver wanted to take a chance on someone with issues like Burfict. I don't really think you read my post at all in that thread but goddamn you sure are enjoying trolling all of my posts.

:lol: And you are taking every bit of the bait!

SR
04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
:lol: And you are taking every bit of the bait!

Yep! I'm taking the bait because I'm sooooo stupid and because you're soooooo smart. FML right?

BroncoWave
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't think you're stupid, I think you're just as bored as I am right now.

Lancane
04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
San Diego was also targeting Wolfe to anchor their defensive line, they didn't expect Denver to take Wolfe and took the next defensive lineman on their boards which was Kendall Reyes. So between, Baltimore and San Diego we've learned that two teams had him ranked higher then one of the defensive tackles we expected to target and that speaks volumes IMHO.

bcbronc
04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Keep hearing about this kid's work ethic. Personally, I won't be convinced until I hear he's planning on spending the summer working on his pass rush moves with his brother.