PDA

View Full Version : Will any Franchise every buy into the college spread / option?

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
typo on every* meant to say ever

I know alot of people will take this to be about tebow. But its not, its about the style of offense in the modern day.

Last season watching our Broncos adapt this offense was quite amazing. It getting us to the playoffs with our stellar d was great to see in the NFL. I watched moneyball the other day, im sure most of you have seen it. Basically this GM going against all the mold of baseball and changing the game. I know Elway would never buy into that offense changing the game, but could it already have changed for the future?

Do you think any owner, GM, Front Office, Coach will every buy into a type of offense like that after seeing the Broncos success? trying it with a new college qb a few years down the road? With 3 running backs selected in the 1st round, has the game already changed back to coaches seeing the running game being effective still?

With the franchise guy being so hard to find... will some teams start to accept running Qbs?

MOtorboat
04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
No.

/thread

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
;( :elefant:

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I think they will. More and more colleges are doing it because its successful in NCAA. College players are leaving earlier, QBs are going fast, and teams need a system that's easy to put up big numbers. The hash marks on the NCAA field give a side of the field that is HUGE. Considering so many QBs, WRs, RBs, TE, and OL are going to be running the college spread, someone will try it in the NFL.

Our offense was NOT successful last year, despite our playoff appearance. Last year with Tebow proved why you stick with a passing QB than the other way around. Our offense was pathetic. So I don't think that watching any of our "success" proved to people to give it a try.

QBs are the face of the franchise, and the NFL relies on them to be. The rules are literally bent around the QB throwing the ball from the pocket. He can't be touched there, he can't be hit, he can sit back and throw for 5000 yrds now days. Running the ball does not put the ball down the field, and as we showed last season, doesn't put points on the board.

So yeah, some coach will try..... or like us, be FORCED to try.... running the college spread offense. But the defenders are just too fast in the NFL.

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:22 AM
but i dont even think we went all the way with it. I mean we could have added the triple option etc.Is Speed really even a factor on the option, i thought it was more about committing.

Northman
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Option will not work at the NFL level. And you would be replacing your "hybrid" QB every two years because of the abuse they would take from NFL calibur players.

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Option will not work at the NFL level. And you would be replacing your "hybrid" QB every two years because of the abuse they would take from NFL calibur players.wat if you had 3 running qbs on your depth chart? would that still really matter? Josh johnson , that viking kid joe webb or something, all running qb backups. Isnt there more and cheaper running qbs then passing ones?

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Option will not work at the NFL level. And you would be replacing your "hybrid" QB every two years because of the abuse they would take from NFL calibur players.

This and for 2 more reasons I might add.

1) NFL defenders are just too quick and fast and would have no problem containing the play if that's their assignments throughout the flow of the game (which is why it works occasionally now)

2) The spread option in college is about getting players in space and using the wide side of the field and "out skilling" your opponent. Not only is there a disadvantage at the NFL level on offense "out skilling" the defense, but the hashmarks on an NFL field a wider, which means there's a significantly less wide side of the field to work with.

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
wat if you had 3 running qbs on your depth chart? would that still really matter? Josh johnson , that viking kid joe webb or something, all running qb backups. Isnt there more and cheaper running qbs then passing ones?

The NFL field isn't constructed favorably for an option style offense.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
but i dont even think we went all the way with it. I mean we could have added the triple option etc.Is Speed really even a factor on the option, i thought it was more about committing.

Speed is absolutely a factor.

We ran the triple option with Tebow..... the triple option is reading your first read (usually reading the tackle) deciding to give or keep..then the DE (keep or pitch)...and then the DB (keep or pitch). Tebow ran that many times. Usually keeping the ball, which is what most decide (and taught to decide) because the pitching scenario has to be just right to take a chance on the pitch. But defenders are just too fast for the option to work on a reg basis. Its too easy to defend. Why do you think teams like OK and Nebraska .....two of the teams that ran the triple option better than ANYONE else in the entire country.... stopped doing it? They were being outscored and couldn't catch up with that kind of offense.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
This and for 2 more reasons I might add.

1) NFL defenders are just too quick and fast and would have no problem containing the play if that's their assignments throughout the flow of the game (which is why it works occasionally now)

2) The spread option in college is about getting players in space and using the wide side of the field and "out skilling" your opponent. Not only is there a disadvantage at the NFL level on offense "out skilling" the defense, but the hashmarks on an NFL field a wider, which means there's a significantly less wide side of the field to work with.

Exactly... although I think you meant the NFL hashes are narrower, but great points. :salute:

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:38 AM
i get the field side of it, good points on those

but some good colleges still use it like GT. Navy, cpl others.

Northman
04-28-2012, 10:39 AM
wat if you had 3 running qbs on your depth chart? would that still really matter? Josh johnson , that viking kid joe webb or something, all running qb backups. Isnt there more and cheaper running qbs then passing ones?

Well, keep in mind that not EVERY running QB is as good as a Newton, Vick, or Tebow. Just like passing QB's you have your subpar running ones as well. So even if you have a guy that ran in college (cant think of the guy from WVU at the moment) doesnt mean it will translate to the pro level and if he is frail he will most certainly get broken. If Tebow is your best option QB and he goes down, i seriously dont think that the backups will be any tougher or even any better.

As far as cost, if the option became the next big thing than the price would go up as well. Not like it used to be because the rookie cap is different now but you would still be paying first rounders more money than 2nd and on.

Northman
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
i get the field side of it, good points on those

Yea, but the level of competition is much much weaker. At the pro level you are getting the best of the best no matter how bad we might think a particular player is at the pro level he is still better than most college players not drafted.

ShaneFalco
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
could it also be that everyone is so much bigger as well? i remmeber playing the pats they had the 3 nose tackles in on the line. Dont even think they used their DEs.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

and those aren't even good college football teams. At least, not TOP college football teams.

sneakers
04-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Only if teams start playing in wind tunnels and no one can pass the ball.

Rick
04-29-2012, 11:41 PM
The QB would have to be better at passing as well. The problem with our offense when teams started to get use to it is Tim could not make them pay consistently. That is not a knock on him, I think with work maybe he could have developed more, but at least this year teams could stack the line because we were unable to make them pay often enough.

I good running QB with the accuracy and strength to hit the receivers deep often could "maybe" make it a viable offense. maybe a good Newton offense if he continues to develop.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
We all got to see the college spread/option with the greatest college player of all time last season, why would any NFL team wanna duplicate that?.......