PDA

View Full Version : Who Felt Pass Protection Was Solid Against Pitts?

BigBroncLove
10-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, I don't know about you all, but after watching the game last night, I felt one thing really stuck out to me beyond the Run D's improvement, and that was the pass protection by the Broncos O line. Was it just me, or did they seem to hold off big blitzes and major pressure for the majority of the game. Now no offensive line is going to win 100% of the time, and there were some mistakes. Lepsis called for holding. Graham holding on a run play. Graham beat once for a sack, and a few other plays, but when it counted and for the majority of the game, that Bronco Oline held their ground IMO. Kuper seemed solid, though a little shaky in run blocking. Myers did really well at Center, and the whole line shifted and picked up blitzes as if Nalen was still there.

I personally was really happy with their pass protection. Cutler had time to do what he needed to, and often had a little extra to move around. The pocket did not collapse despite playing one of the best 3-4 teams, and IMO the best 3-4 NT in Casey HAmpton (though J Williams is a close second from SD).

IMO despite injuries riddling this Bronco Oline, they are performing up ot the task, at least last night. My :2cents:

Retired_Member_001
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
The pass protection was solid against Pittsburgh but they will have to keep putting up solid performances.

One of the main reasons Jay Cutler completed 75.9% of his passes is because the offensive line did their job for once.

Let's hope it continues.

No matter what, I still want a new T and G for this offensive line though.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
I would say solid is an understatement.

I thought the pass protection was great. There was the few moments it broke down, but considering what it usually is in the past as an average, and Nalen being out, I was impressed at how much time Jay had in the pocket.

Tned
10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, my DVR crapped out and I can't rewatch the game :mad: and really check out how the line did. However, as I posted in a thread earlier tonight, my initial impressions watching the game last night was that the line played one of the more solid pass protecting games I have seen in two or three years.

The Broncos pass protection has been pretty horrible the last few years, and it was only Jake's mobility and all the rollouts that kept the sack numbers down. Just think about the AFCCG game and how the Broncos line completely crumbled from Pitts pressure.

This Pitt team is the number one defense and coming into this game, they were second or third in sacks per game at 3.5. This O-line, missing Nalen and Hamilton, that has Myers playing with very little experience and none at center, Kuper making his first start, and Pears got thrown into the mix last year due to injuries is now up to only 16 starts (NFL Europe guy I think).

So, considering I think it was one of the best pass protection jobs by a Broncos line in the last few years, and then ADD in the fact we have a couple second and third year players with very little (to no) experience, and it was a pretty amazing job.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I thought Denver did well, especially against a Pittsburgh defense that was number one in the NFL.

Uncle Buck
10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
[quote=BigBroncLove;35760]Well, I don't know about you all, but after watching the game last night, I felt one thing really stuck out to me beyond the Run D's improvement, and that was the pass protection by the Broncos O line. Was it just me, or did they seem to hold off big blitzes and major pressure for the majority of the game. Now no offensive line is going to win 100% of the time, and there were some mistakes. Lepsis called for holding. Graham holding on a run play. Graham beat once for a sack, and a few other plays, but when it counted and for the majority of the game, that Bronco Oline held their ground IMO. Kuper seemed solid, though a little shaky in run blocking. Myers did really well at Center, and the whole line shifted and picked up blitzes as if Nalen was still there.

I felt so good about what I saw last night--not just the "pass protection," but all the way around--that I didn't even care about Jay's two interceptions. The guy--and after just 11(?) reg season starts--looked *good*!

I'm especially encouraged that the younger players--on both sides of the ball--have stepped up, what with so many past mainstays (such as, well, from Wilson, to Nalen, to Smith, to Bailey and others) were out of the fray.

I had no idea what we would get, right out of the box, unopened, since the disaster immediately prior to our "bye." That demoralizing thrashing at the hands of SD seemed to shout out to the entire NFL that the Broncos are no longer a winning (or better than .500) team.

But, if a cat has nine lives, the Broncos have at least nine more, it seems.

What we saw on Sunday night was essentially a new team that suddenly realized that it was a "rebuilding" team. No more excuses, baby. In the shroud of the Rockies, this team is gonna go with what it has. Veteran players returning to the fray--healthy--is now a bonus, not a necessity.

And, the best part of it all, the beginning of the new regime appears to have sparked the good things to follow over one 2-week layoff!

My take is this:

1. Thank God, Zeus--anyone--that we have Cutler! This guy is good, early. Yes, he has The Arm. But he also has the ability to make plays on his own. Oh, did I leave out brains? Got that covered too.

2. Thank Shanny and cast that we still have something to build on.

3. There is no "three." "Three," is that the new Broncos are only starting out the season, and better things are gonna happen.

4. Forget about "three." This new team is going to the playoffs, this season.

As an afterthought: "Marshall, NEXT time, either get a "designated driver," or call a freakin' CAB!!!

Marshall, you have the talent to be another OT or a Randy Moss. Just save the freakin' celebration (in other words, don't blow it) until you got a few more hash marks under your youngass wiseass belt.

Other than that, Brandon, you have been doing great. <cough>

dogfish
10-23-2007, 12:07 AM
:wave:

i haven't re-watched the game, but live i was pretty happy with it. . . i thought the line looked a little more physical, and having chris kuper in there may well have had something to do with it-- it's also possible that myers may end up being better at center than he is at guard. . . ORRR, maybe it was just coincidence. . . regardless, they looked pretty solid. . .

broncosfanscott
10-23-2007, 01:18 AM
That was a solid performance from our O-line and like everyone else, I hope it continues. As a result of the protection, I was happy to see that Cutler didn't throw of his back foot like he has lately, which allowed him to throw with better accuracy. He had a great game with those 2 picks the only real negative. Great job all around.

Stargazer
10-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Not looking for flame, but in some ways I'm kinda excited Nalen is out. I wanted to see Kuper hit the field and finally start his first game. Cutler seems to have a better repoire with Myers playing center than Nalen. Myers also made his first start at C.

Appreciate Nalen for sure and what a great player he's been. But, in some ways I'm excited for the future to see Kuper log more starts at G and Myers log more starts at C.

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 02:25 AM
better but still not up to par for a drop back Passer...

Retired_Member_001
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Just to "extend" on my previous post.

I thought against Pittsburgh the pass blocking was good, not up to Colts standards but adequate enough.

I don't trust it to stay that way though and I still think another T and G is needed. While I think the performance was impressive, I don't know if they can keep it up. Players can have a one off good performance as well as defensive lines having a one off bad performance. I still don't trust Holland and Pears and I don't trust Lepsis much more either.

Kuper did a good job at LG and Myers did a good job at C. There was no problem with the snap exchange (from what we saw) so it looks like Myers has made a smooth transition. Kuper was supposed to be have problems pass protecting but he looked pretty good to me.

Let's just see what happens.