PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall arrested

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79513

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Denver Police say Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence early Monday morning.

Police say Marshall was pulled over in downtown Denver shortly after 2 a.m. His arrest came hours after the Broncos defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-to-28 in Denver.

Marshall was released and issued a summons.

Broncos team officials said they were aware of the arrest but had no comment.

(Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserv

NameUsedBefore
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure about the line "under the suspicion", that's a lot of room for nothing and to arrest somebody on it...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Here is the story on Ch4 website - I believe television, newspapers, etc. have to use vague terms - i.e. - on suspicion, allegedly, etc. Since he was booked, they had to do a test first.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_295172833.html

Bronco Brandon Marshall Gets Cited For DUI

(CBS4) DENVER CBS4 has learned Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall was cited for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol by Denver police.

He was cited Monday at about 2 a.m.

Authorities said Marshall was driving a car at 14th and Blake when a police officer pulled him over. It's unclear if he was alone in the car.

He was booked into detox for DUI.

Reidman
10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
GET A FRICKIN CAB OR EVEN BETTER A LIMO!!!!!

Holy cow what is wrong with these guys...!?!?

Celebrate all you want but be smart about it..

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
It appears that Brandon has quite a bit of growing up to do

BigBroncLove
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
man, the only other Bronco to seem to have these legal probelms is Henry. First the whole fiasco with unlawful improsenment (to which I think was way overblown), but now this as well. I don't know about the rest of you, but I really love what MArshall has brought to this Broncos team, none the less his behavior is starting to worry me. Throwing the helmet after the slant pass that resulted in an interception (and one in which I felt Marshall should have undercut more as his responsibility in a slant, to use his body as a shield). Then the comments about the fans, which I can understand but felt that most players would avoid making controversial and potentially problematic comments like that. Of course theres the original unlawful improsonment which was more embarrasing for him and shnahan (When Goddell first started his crusade for a better image in the NFL), and now this.....

I hope these are the exceptions and not the rule when it comes to Marshall, but the more they pop up, the mroe I worry.

Hopefully no suspension is handed down in this case since I feel this is more of a first time offense (I don't count that crap with his girlfriend as a strike) but he could get a 4 game suspension next year if this all proves true.

Retired_Member_001
10-22-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree.

Take a lesson from Travis Henry's mistake, don't screw things up when they are going well for you!

sneakers
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh Man! C'mon...think!!

DenBronx
10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
its really not hard to stay out of trouble. i dont think this helps the image of the team or nfl. way to go bmarsh. :shots:

Tned
10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
man, the only other Bronco to seem to have these legal probelms is Henry. .

Actually, it seems like every year two or three Broncos get in trouble for DUI or domestic abuse charges. I'm not sure how the Broncos compare to the league average in off field problems, but they certainly haven't been imune.

fcspikeit
10-22-2007, 06:55 PM

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Denver Police say Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence early Monday morning.

Police say Marshall was pulled over in downtown Denver shortly after 2 a.m. His arrest came hours after the Broncos defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-to-28 in Denver.

I can't believe this!! Shanny should give him a curfew!

BigBroncLove
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Actually, it seems like every year two or three Broncos get in trouble for DUI or domestic abuse charges. I'm not sure how the Broncos compare to the league average in off field problems, but they certainly haven't been imune.

When I said "these prblems" it was in reference to people having new and previous problems. A few Broncos have had problems in the past, but few have had several and paired those with what appear to be discipline issues.

You had Carsell with the domestic problems, mike anderson with the pot, but neither seemed to have a major history of those problems paired with onfield or off field discipline problems.

Henry has the kids thing, which IMO is part of discipline. You don't have nine kids with many different women and not show some lack of discipline. Marshall throwing his helmet on the field IMO shows a lack of composure. His backlash at his opinion of "bad" fan conduct against SD also did that IMO.

I should have been more specific but I figuered my elusion to those problems, and the fact Henry also has similar (though admittadly not congruent) problems was enough to make my point.

I never said we were a perfect team, but IMO we rarely have people who mix both of those problems IMO (on and off field problems), and both Henry and to a far lesser extent persoanlly Marshall do IMO. I think the book is still out on MArshall, but every time something like this piles on you have to wonder, as I said before, whether it is the exception or the rule. So while we are not a poster team for the NFL's image, we also arn't last years Bengals. No team is perfect but damnit if I don't start seeing things that concern me pop up here and there over one player that I won't question whether it speaks about them or just circumstance and luck.....

BaiLeY324
10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Baby TO....... haha ye.

dogfish
10-22-2007, 08:18 PM

my thoughts exactly. . . it REALLY is NOT that freaking difficult!!

:frusty: :frusty:

if i can manage to take a cab when i'm drinking, a guy making his kind of money can most certainly afford to. . . freakin' stupid braindead IDIOTS!

:mad:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, this is Brandon's second run in with the law, and that's nothing to be proud of. DJ had this happen two years ago and was put on probation for a year and had to do 24 hours of community service. Things like this happen, but seriously. Get a CAB.

Uncle Buck
10-23-2007, 12:01 AM

This could be the makings of a whole 'nuther spin-off thread, Carol: "DO WINNING TEAMS LEARN TO PLAY WITH A HANGOVER?"

Seriously, I've often wondered about this "partying" aspect of sporting events in general. Blood simple, you don't do anything better (with the possible exception of writers--just ask the ghost of Hemmingway) while under the influence of drugs.

Straight up, the coach who can run a tight ship--be a bad drill sergeant, whatever--over his troops, has an edge at game time. And, more importantly, the better management weeds out bad apples from the inception--which includes acquiring other teams' more notorious players who come to the new team with a "rep."

It's a fact that, upon the cusp of "stardom," there are many things to be overcome. There is that sudden *rush*--the "Messiah Complex," as some writer once put it. And some--especially those prone to unbrandished emotionalism--cannot handle the weight very well indeed.

Why were drugs part and parcel to being a rock star, methane breathe?!

Blood simple. How do you follow the "high" of being on stage, before thousands of cheering fans, and just go home as if you were a "normal" human being?

Some do it, others don't.

John Lynch can handle it.

Rod Smith can handle it.

Peyton Manning can handle it.

And the list goes on and on, but...

Some others can't.

Oh, but you don't hear of many NFL stars who take the "rock" route in "handling" their success (Hello, Brit Spears).

No, you don't. Those who celebrate early on, rarely get that far in the first place.

to B Marshall and others who are young and naive:

Better shape up. It is far easier to write poetry and other things of etherical "wisdom" on a bar room napkin, than it is to go out and perform--LIVE--with your body (and, hopefully, mind) than being the talent in the live arena before thousands--millions--of bloodthirsty fans.

Ancient Rome comes to mind.

And, rushing back to today, Elway and a cast of hundreds come to mind.

Brett Favre comes to mind.

I can't think of many football greats who have racked up bad reps off the field. (Well, aside from marital problems, perhaps)

This is not like rock and roll. Brit Spears could possibly not even make it as a cheerleader.

But this was just my take, and I wrote this all down on a bar room napkin.

So don't mind me, but I hope I make this one point to Brandon and others of his "young star" ilk:

Please, PLEASE, be a little more discreet! You are letting down yourself, along with your fans!

Shape up, stupid!

Brandon's uncle...

buck

broncosfanscott
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM

Is getting a cab that hard? Come on Brandon, you are smarter than that......use you head. We have had a lot of stuff happen to this team this year and we don't need you doing something stupid.

Stargazer
10-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Disappointing, but not surprised. Newsflash. People do have a few drinks and drive. Not saying I support it. But, it does happen.

broncosfanscott
10-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Disappointing, but not surprised. Newsflash. People do have a few drinks and drive. Not saying I support it. But, it does happen.

True, I just don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 02:24 AM
dum de DUMB DUMB!!

pnbronco
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Yes he does. It seems that part of the brain that connects the action - consequences has not attached yet. So our male poster when does that happen? I look at my 18 year old son and say "what were you thinking?" The answer seems to be he wasn't.

Retired_Member_001
10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
We could have ended up with a number 15 on our helmets to go with the 27 and 29 because of Brandon's stupidity.

Speed doesn't kill, drunk driving does.

Don't blow things when things are going well for you!

omac
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
We could have ended up with a number 15 on our helmets to go with the 27 and 29 because of Brandon's stupidity.

Speed doesn't kill, drunk driving does.

Don't blow things when things are going well for you!

Just out of curiosity, in the U.S., is there an amount of alcohol that you're allowed to drink and still drive? Like, is one beer ok? 2 beers? Or is any amount of alcohol not accepted?

OB
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, in the U.S., is there an amount of alcohol that you're allowed to drink and still drive? Like, is one beer ok? 2 beers? Or is any amount of alcohol not accepted?

Its my understanding (every state has their own laws too)

But DUI = Driving Under the Influence - ie...any alcohol - so if he had two beers and blows a .01 (most legal limits .08) he could still get a DUI)

DWI = Driving While Intoxicated - which means you blew above the legal limit (usually .08)

Someone his size could prolly down a six pack easy and barely feel it but still have alcohol in his blood and if he drives its DUI

Again some states may be different and not differentiate between the two

Watchthemiddle
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Can I UN-ADOPT my adoptee????

Just kidding...I am going whip that boy into shape when he gets home from the clink???? :tsk::tsk:

omac
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM

But DUI = Driving Under the Influence - ie...any alcohol - so if he had two beers and blows a .01 (most legal limits .08) he could still get a DUI)

DWI = Driving While Intoxicated - which means you blew above the legal limit (usually .08)

Someone his size could prolly down a six pack easy and barely feel it but still have alcohol in his blood and if he drives its DUI

Oh, okay. I'm not familiar with those things, as they don't catch drunk drivers here; I don't think there are even breathalizer tests. Worse, there used to be a time when cops here would be drinking even if they were on duty. :D

broncosinindy
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
doh... man ... what can ya say...*shakes head*

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh, okay. I'm not familiar with those things, as they don't catch drunk drivers here; I don't think there are even breathalizer tests. Worse, there used to be a time when cops here would be drinking even if they were on duty. :D

Where is here?

Tned
10-23-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm also not familiar with the distinctions or laws. Would they lock him up and throw him in detox if he was under the legal limit?

DenBronx
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Can I UN-ADOPT my adoptee????

Just kidding...I am going whip that boy into shape when he gets home from the clink???? :tsk::tsk:

hey dont feel bad....i picked travisty henry.

pnbronco
10-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm also not familiar with the distinctions or laws. Would they lock him up and throw him in detox if he was under the legal limit?

I don't think you get thrown into detox if you are under the limit. Trd where do you live? The limits are on CO tests and you will fail if you don't know them, it's just been a really long time since I had a written driving test. I can't believe that no one around him said look maybe a good night for a taxi. This was more than a couple of drinks with dinner

pnbronco
10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Colorado has two levels of alcohol-related driving offenses and both are based on the measurement of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in the body.

Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs (DUI): A DUI is the more serious offense of the two and has consequences that are extremely costly both to your wallet and to your diving privileges, and could potentially result in serious jail time. In July 2004, Colorado inched down the DUI BAC limit from .10% to .08%.

Driving While Ability is impaired by Alcohol or Drugs (DWAI): This may be the lesser of the two offenses defined as a BAC between .05% and .07%, but the fines and penalties are just as hefty.

I looked up CO laws and found this.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-23-2007, 07:55 PM
If you go to Detox, you're messed up. Really messed up.

eessydo
10-23-2007, 10:32 PM
No team is immune, below is an article link showing arrests in the NFL since 2000 - 2007.

NFL arrests 2000 - 2007 (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/arrests.html?appSession=41752587974782&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=desc&CPIorderby=Team)

OB
10-24-2007, 12:04 AM

In OK if you can get bailed out you have to spend a min of 6.5 hrs in "detox" - a cell till you get sober - not too sure about tulsa county

Actually the difference between DWI and DUI is also different between different states, and different between the state and the federal goverment. For some states (examples, Virginia and New Jersey) there is no difference between the two terms - they both mean drunk driving. In Minnesota on the other hand, there is technically no such thing as DUI (they use the term DWI - driving while impaired - instead). The distinction for the federal government is drawn based on severity. A DWI is issued when the blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the 0.08 limit, whereas a DUI is a less severe term, given when a persons BAC is under 0.08.

I know about the BA thing cause a guyleft our rest and spun his car leaving our road and BAPD came and he was out 7:00 that morning - i know this cuz his sis - who was there- called me at 7am on a SAT MORNING to tell me :mad:

he blew a 1.2/3 - which was shocking - he is a small guy with little body fat and had at least 4 double scotches a min of 12 oz of pure scotch

although I have never seen him to the point I didnt think he could drive home (i wasnt bar tending this night) he does handle his liquor very well