PDA

View Full Version : derek Wolfe

BroncoBowlby 88
04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I like it! Addresses a spot of need, quality guy! Go broncs!

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Seems to be betting good comments from everyone.. 6'5"...295.. has 20 sacks from the DT spot. I think this guy is one that many didn't pay attention to (probably because he's white)....but seems to have a go go motor. Benched well at the combine so had the upper body strength..... I like the pick.

threefolddead
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Guy looked to be the most polished D linemen at the senior bowl. Long arms and can play all over the D-line. Love it.

BroncoStud
04-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Major reach.

Buff
Michael Lombardi said he likes Wolfe better than Worthy and one of his favorite players in the draft. If he's good enough for Lombardi, then I'm on board.

BroncoNut
haven't heard a bad thing about him yet. Not the best looking guy though, that's the only negative I noticed

BroncoNut
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Major reach.

why?

DenBronx
Could of got Wolfe later in the 2nd. Reach.

But we needed a DT, so I won't complain until I see the kid play. Suprised on passing 3 higher rated DTs though. It's amazing to see all of the scouts and TV stations rating these guys very high and every year some team leap frogs higher rated guys and get who they like.

iLands
Got that UT.

So much for Elway not taking a DT.

Great smokescreen.

We handled this perfectly.

I love you EFX!

BroncoStud
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
He was rated a late round pick, he prob ably would have lasted. He's very slow as well.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm OK w/ this. A pass rush threat up the middle that many were asking for.

BigDaddyBronco
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Could of got Wolfe later in the 2nd. Reach.

But we needed a DT, so I won't complain until I see the kid play. Suprised on passing 3 higher rated DTs though. It's amazing to see all of the scouts and TV stations rating these guys very high and every year some team leap frogs higher rated guys and get who they like.
Maybe. That is hard to say based off draft websites.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-27-2012, 06:32 PM
He was rated a late round pick, he prob ably would have lasted. He's very slow as well.

I do prefer my DTs to have blazing footspeed.

BroncoNut
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
yeah, I think someone (not an expert) mentioned him as a late first.

DenBronx
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Slow yet had 20 sacks and very good measerables? I don't need him to be a track star, I just need him to stuff the middle.

BroncoNut
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
He seems quite agile for a big man.

DenBronx
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Could have got Doug Martin and Wolfe still would have been there in round 2. That's a big reason why I'm unhappy right now.

slim
04-27-2012, 06:35 PM
From Mayock: "This is one of the most solid players in this draft. He won't overwhelm you with measurables, but when you put his tape on there's rarely a mistake. He can play the 3-technique, which he will in Denver. His stock had been rising steadily since the Senior Bowl. The Broncos have nothing at defensive tackle, so this is a good pick."

bcbronc
04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
wait, he's white?? I hope we plan on converting him to TE then....:tsk:

Rick
04-27-2012, 06:38 PM
I trust EFX more than I do mcDanials but didn't mayock also tout Ayers as the best DE in the draft?

slim
04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
He had a 4th round grade.

Is Elway drunk?

bcbronc
04-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Is Elway drunk?

A 4th round grade from who? Obviously not by the Broncos, he was the top player on their board. They saw something in the kid, likely so did another team or two. The rankings of the Internet gurus means absolutely nothing in NFL war rooms.

Cugel
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
From Mayock: "This is one of the most solid players in this draft. He won't overwhelm you with measurables, but when you put his tape on there's rarely a mistake. He can play the 3-technique, which he will in Denver. His stock had been rising steadily since the Senior Bowl. The Broncos have nothing at defensive tackle, so this is a good pick."

Mayock is blowing smoke. Last night after the first round, Mayock revised his list of the 68 best available players left in the draft.

Derek Wolfe did NOT make that list, so basically Mayock saw him as a 4th round or later pick, as did most observers.

The most significant response among the Denver media was "who?" and "wow" (as in "what were they thinking.")

This of course does NOT mean that Wolfe can't be any good. It DOES mean that he was a wild reach who would probably have been available at #57.

Based on previous Broncos history, I don't like it because every OTHER time I can remember they pulled some wild and unexpected pick out of their butt in the 2nd round, it turned out to be LB Terry Pierce or WR Darius Watts. :coffee:

slim
04-27-2012, 06:48 PM
A 4th round grade from who? Obviously not by the Broncos, he was the top player on their board. They saw something in the kid, likely so did another team or two. The rankings of the Internet gurus means absolutely nothing in NFL war rooms.

Well, I hope the Broncos didn't have a 4th round grade on young Derek. That would just be weird.

slim
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Mayock is blowing smoke. Last night after the first round, Mayock revised his list of the 68 best available players left in the draft.

Derek Wolfe did NOT make that list, so basically Mayock saw him as a 4th round or later pick, as did most observers.

The most significant response among the Denver media was "who?" and "wow" (as in "what were they thinking.")

This of course does NOT mean that Wolfe can't be any good. It DOES mean that he was a wild reach who would probably have been available at #57.

Based on previous Broncos history, I don't like it because every OTHER time I can remember they pulled some wild and unexpected pick out of their butt in the 2nd round, it turned out to be LB Terry Pierce or WR Darius Watts. :coffee:

It is a puzzling pick. Maybe they are smarter than everyone else.

Cugel
04-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Sadly, so did Rahim Moore and Nate Irving and THEY haven't exactly worked out so far. War rooms make mistakes, and the press usually has a pretty good idea of what the consensus picks are.

If you go against what every other expert is telling everybody are the top players, then fine. You COULD be right and everybody else wrong.

But, you'd better prove it or everybody is going to say like a former Broncos player who texted Big Al on The Fan: "Who the Hell let Josh McDaniels back in the war room."

Northman
04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I like that we took a DT but if your looking at overall rating/rankings Wolfe was listed 16th under DT's and 163rd overall. I like the DT pick, just hope it was the right one at the right time.

slim
04-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I like that we took a DT but if your looking at overall rating/rankings Wolfe was listed 16th under DT's and 163rd overall. I like the DT pick, just hope it was the right one at the right time.

I would have preferred Thompson, but maybe Wolfe will turn out to be a better player.

iLands
04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
He is the prototypical UT.

I am psyched!

threefolddead
04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Dontari Poe has far worse stats than Wolfe but only was rated high cause of his combine and measurable crap. Give me production all day long. Wolfe produced, you can see it on field, and you could see it at the senior bowl and practices. He looked the better DT than everyone out there. I dig it.

BigDaddyBronco
04-27-2012, 06:58 PM

By who? He was 10th on Mayock's board. He was a late 1st rounder by Kiper. It's all in the eye of the beholder. We'll see once he get son the field.

Dzone
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Justin Bannan clone. Great! We can put two slow white guys on the line!

BroncoNut

Is Elway drunk?

you are a loser. I don't hear them talking about your fat self

BigDaddyBronco
I would have preferred Thompson, but maybe Wolfe will turn out to be a better player.
They might pick up Thompson with the other 2nd or 3rd.

silkamilkamonico
Could have got Doug Martin and Wolfe still would have been there in round 2. That's a big reason why I'm unhappy right now.

You don't know that. Kiper stated that Wolfe was a late first round talent.

iLands
04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
We'll be a top 10 defense next year nearly guaranteed!

That and Manning?!

We have so much more defensive upside as well. Top 10 might be conservative.

I'm salivating.

EFX!

slim
04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
BDB, they took DT with their first pick.

Seriously...I'm not joking.

Northman
04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
By who? He was 10th on Mayock's board. He was a late 1st rounder by Kiper. It's all in the eye of the beholder. We'll see once he get son the field.

By Draftek.

I agree, its all by the eye of the beholder but even guys like Kiper and Mayock can be wrong and have been. Its a crapshoot, but like you i hope it pans out.

RebelRocker
They just interviewed him on The Fan a few minutes ago. He was FIRED UP and couldn't wait to get to Denver. From the second I heard the pick until now, I went from confused to optimistic to excited. Interior pass rusher with good motor and some versatility.

bcbronc

Again, 16th on what list? Scott Wright has him ranked 10th, not that it means anything. He's #1 for sacks last year from this DT class, he has prototype DT size, and (apparently) is already fairly polished as a pass rusher. Clearly EFX wanted a DT with some pass rush ability, not just a DT. They added an extra 4th before taking him and then made sure to get the guy they wanted. Good work by EFX as far as I'm concerned.

slim
04-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I have to admit that I like his production.

Maybe not a sexy pick, but I feel production is the most import piece of the puzzle when grading draft prospects. I didn't realize how productive young Derek has been....

Northman
04-27-2012, 07:05 PM
not that it means anything. .

Exactly.

claymore
04-27-2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsmdwFcPyg

Never heard of the dude, but he looks mean??? I love it!!!

Northman
04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsmdwFcPyg

Never heard of the dude, but he looks mean??? I love it!!!

You werent paying attention to my mock? Shame on you. Im hurt.

Tned
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Michael Lombardi said he likes Wolfe better than Worthy and one of his favorite players in the draft. If he's good enough for Lombardi, then I'm on board.

I'm not a Kiper fan, but he seemed to be very high on Wolfe. Said he had him as a late first round player and one of the most productive DTs in the draft. Sounds like a penetrating DT more than a run stopper.

chazoe60
04-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Looks like a guy who can push the pocket and cover his spot in the run game. That sounds great to me. I like the pick a lot.

If he can help the run game and push the pocket in the pass game think of how that will help VonDoom.

elsid13
04-27-2012, 07:13 PM

We could have signed Mo or Slim for less if that what the FO wanted

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 07:14 PM

so you are assuming that because he's white, he must be Bannan like. Mayock seems to disagree with you. But then, he's just judging on talent.

claymore
04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
We could have signed Mo or Slim for less if that what the FO wanted

MO's got character issues and Slims got motivational issues. NOT a good fit for EFX.

G_Money
04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I would have taken Wolfe ahead of Still, but I'm surprised at where we drafted him. If he'd been a late second or early third I'd be less surprised.

I can't help wondering if we thought one of the guys drafted when we traded down was one of the ones we really wanted, and we weren't willing to have it happen again.

I think he can start for us first-game, but that's partly because we SUCK INSIDE.

OTOH, Wolfe is a worker and I'll never worry about him not "living up to his potential." He's like a big Vanden Bosch type, lil slower. I didn't expect him to go to a 4-3 team, but as a player? I think he's a good player - no quit in that kid. And having a motor is one of my most important DT traits. He'll play in the league quite a long time, IMO. Is he a multiple Pro Bowler? No, I don't believe so, but he's a worker.

Is he better than ANYTHING we have and will likely have a faster learning curve since he understands what he's capable of? Probably.

And I find it interesting that we drafted a long guy who can tighten down into a spring inside. The knock on him was that he's too tall to really anchor the middle, so he was a bit of a tweener as he's not fleet of foot either. Well, Del Rio had a defense with Stroud and Big John Henderson who were 6'6 and 6'7. He likes guys like that inside, absolutely, and knows how to use em. So that holds some sway with me.

I'm not ecstatic, but I'll take it. Is "we could have done worse" an endorsement?

~G

Northman
04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I would have taken Wolfe ahead of Still, but I'm surprised at where we drafted him. If he'd been a late second or early third I'd be less surprised.

I can't help wondering if we thought one of the guys drafted when we traded down was one of the ones we really wanted, and we weren't willing to have it happen again.

I think he can start for us first-game, but that's partly because we SUCK INSIDE.

OTOH, Wolfe is a worker and I'll never worry about him not "living up to his potential." He's like a big Vanden Bosch type, lil slower. I didn't expect him to go to a 4-3 team, but as a player? I think he's a good player - no quit in that kid. And having a motor is one of my most important DT traits. He'll play in the league quite a long time, IMO. Is he a multiple Pro Bowler? No, I don't believe so, but he's a worker.

Is he better than ANYTHING we have and will likely have a faster learning curve since he understands what he's capable of? Probably.

And I find it interesting that we drafted a long guy who can tighten down into a spring inside. The knock on him was that he's too tall to really anchor the middle, so he was a bit of a tweener as he's not fleet of foot either. Well, Del Rio had a defense with Stroud and Big John Henderson who were 6'6 and 6'7. He likes guys like that inside, absolutely, and knows how to use em. So that holds some sway with me.

I'm not ecstatic, but I'll take it. Is "we could have done worse" an endorsement?

~G

Well said as usual.

claymore
04-27-2012, 07:17 PM

~G

We could have traded up to get Moss at 17. :(

elsid13
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
MO's got character issues and Slims got motivational issues. NOT a good fit for EFX.

I don't think punking out a Scion is a character issue. Slims can be motivated with bacon per sack in the contract.

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I think its a guy that the team valued more than many here did.... thats it. He's a guy that OUR scouting wanted more than other players. I don't think we 'settled' for a guy, I think its a guy our FO found to be a first round talent, and felt he was the best DT to take...especially for the value in the 2nd round.

3 technique with high motor, has the inside rushing ability that we need considering our outside edge rush.

G_Money
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Wolfe is nineteen thousand times better than Moss. When we drafted Moss I threw my remote across the room.

Compared to that, this pick is unicorns farting rainbows. :salute:

~G

underrated29
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
OMG OMG OMG we got Wolfe!!! He was my favorite DT in this class that I Looked at and thought wed have a chance for. This was an Amazing pick!

Bullshit - not like bannan at all. That was dumb.

Everyone watch wolves post combine Presser .....dude will fire you up and you will see why I like him so much. So now do we go ilatuaiputi on the OL?

iLands
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Where is MO?

He he still jizzing so hard that he can't type or what?

elsid13
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Where is MO?

I am starting an internet rumor. Mo is on a date

G_Money
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I think its a guy that the team valued more than many here did.... thats it. He's a guy that OUR scouting wanted more than other players. I don't think we 'settled' for a guy, I think its a guy our FO found to be a first round talent, and felt he was the best DT to take...especially for the value in the 2nd round.

3 technique with high motor, has the inside rushing ability that we need considering our outside edge rush.

Right. We liked him more than others and wondered if one other team between this pick and the next would make that same assessment. If the guy you believe in is there, take him. We needed a DT and grabbed the one we wanted, because we had our pick of several pretty good talents.

I'm fascinated to see what Del Rio is gonna do with him. His DTs were nasty, and if he sees anything of them in Wolfe that he can get out of him, then more power to him.

Feels like a pick at Del Rio's request to me. How you feel about Del Rio may color your opinion of the pick, if that's true.

~G

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm not a Kiper fan, but he seemed to be very high on Wolfe. Said he had him as a late first round player and one of the most productive DTs in the draft. Sounds like a penetrating DT more than a run stopper.

Could be a good fit for our scheme if our offense can be explosive. Might give up some plays defensive with an all attack style defense but there's also significantly higher opportunity for turnovers and bad things happening for the offense.

elsid13
04-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Wonder what he going to be rated in madden 13

bcbronc
04-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Like who? Between 25 and 36 there weren't many guys take that would have made sense here. Hightower and Martin EFX would have had some idea who NE/TB were targeting in their move up, so neither would have been a surprise. Can't be a surprise that NYG took a RB. Maybe they targeted Quick, Fleener or Upshaw over Wolfe, but I doubt it. No, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one...EFX wanted an inside pass rusher, had Wolfe at the top of their board after the Big 3 went mid-first, played their board to pick up an extra pick while still being at the front of the second DT run.

Be interesting to watch how Reyes does in SD.

xzn
04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Sorry if this link is already in this thread, I don't have time to read 5 pages b4 sharing. Check it!

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/04/photos-broncos-draft-picks-2012/34307/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

chazoe60
04-27-2012, 07:36 PM
I am starting an internet rumor. Mo is on a date

Internet rumors should be at least somewhat believable though.

Buff
04-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Wonder what he going to be rated in madden 13

It's not going to be pretty... But the Manning upgrade more than makes up for it.

chazoe60
04-27-2012, 07:37 PM
They just showed a tweet from Robert Ayers to Wolfe. "welcome to Denver, glad to have ya big dog"

elsid13
04-27-2012, 07:38 PM

What was the X- files saying?

MOtorboat
04-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Where is MO?

The pick wasn't that good...

elsid13
It's not going to be pretty... But the Manning upgrade more than makes up for it.

I'm betting 69 or lower. I am now addicted to FiFA so it doesn't matter.

silkamilkamonico
Why is everyone hating on this guy? People cried about the organization not drafting a DT, now you're crying about them drafting a DT. Unbelievable.

iLands
04-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Why is everyone hating on this guy? People cried about the organization not drafting a DT, now you're crying about them drafting a DT. Unbelievable.

I'm not crying...

We got the best penetrating DT.

We are killing this draft. Can't wait for the next pick.

BroncoWave
04-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Many of our fans aren't happy unless they are complaining.

claymore
04-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Id believe we drafted big foot before I believed the date rumor.

MOtorboat
04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
id believe we drafted big foot before i believed the date rumor.

ead

iLands
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Brock? No surprises.

BroncoStud
04-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah and Kiper is right how often? 1% of the time? Maybe less.

Chef Zambini
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
lots of DTs picked AFTER wolfe, I hope EFX did their homework on this one! one senior bowl perfo0rmance does NOT justify a leap-frog selection in my book.

Dapper Dan
04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I really like this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRypFAtMCYI

Dapper Dan
04-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Watching his highlights, he seems mean as fuuuu. I just threw my lunch money at him. Some guys wrap you up and take you down. He seems like he's trying make you eat the turf.

BroncoNut
04-27-2012, 09:01 PM

You have got to let this go Slim. What is done is done

Nick
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
I have never been great on the DT position valuing. BUT I can say for the last 8 years that all the non top 15 DT's that people think are first round talent drop big time while other guys are picked as a reach. I dont base anything on DT grades because all those high ranked guys always drop.

If they picked him over all other available and they thought he would be available in later 2nd round they they would have traded back.

G_Money
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I really, REALLY want to see how we're going to use him. We've needed a real DT for so long...

~G

Dzone
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
His highlight reel doesnt show how often he got knocked on his ass. Got to love having two Mitch Unreins on the roster! great pick!

Simple Jaded
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I have nothing against Derek Wolfe, other than where he was drafted. Hopefully this is a starter.......

Lancane
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
His highlight reel doesnt show how often he got knocked on his ass. Got to love having two Mitch Unreins on the roster! great pick!

Racist!

:lol:

underrated29
04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
I really like this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRypFAtMCYI

Yeah this is the one I was talking about. I like him and I like this pick. Love it.

Dapper Dan
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
He will probably add a few pounds and seems very coachable.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I hope this dude can play. We spent a high 2nd rounder on him... Damn I hope he turns out as more than just a rotational player. We REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, need this dude to pan out!

dogfish
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
They just showed a tweet from Robert Ayers to Wolfe. "welcome to Denver, glad to have ya big dog"

good call. . . if wolfe's as advertised, he and ayers should give us a legit interior push from our nickel and dime packages for the first time in forever. . . doom - wolfe - ayers - miller should give us a four-man line that's capable of generating pressure without blitzing all the time. . . makes life easier for champ and porter, and gives you more matchup options for defending passing games like new england. . .

Chef Zambini
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
good call. . . if wolfe's as advertised, . . . makes life easier for champ and porter, and gives you more matchup options for defending passing games like new england. . .
are you referiong to the same new england that took our FRDP and selected HIGHTOWER an inside LB with great versatility, a guy we also desperatly needed/
that new england?

xzn
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
“Derek’s a guy that played well at five technique and three technique defensive tackle, has good length, good speed for that length, got a great frame to get bigger and was very, very productive in terms of creating havoc on the quarterback, mostly because he does a good job with his hands as far as snatching off things. He was the most productive sack guy of all the tackles in the draft. He’s got a great motor, and on some of the testing things we do, he was a high-character guy and a guy that will bring a great attitude to our defense.” -- John Fox

dogfish
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
are you referiong to the same new england that took our FRDP and selected HIGHTOWER an inside LB with great versatility, a guy we also desperatly needed/
that new england?

what?

:confused:

yea, same new england. . . i have NO idea what hightower has to do with my post, unless you think they're gonna line him up at TE like vrabel. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
that new england?

Honestly Zam, I wasn't super impressed with Hightower, either. He's a 2 down ILB in the 3-4. He's not fast enough to run sideline to sideline in the 4-3 and he's almost worthless in coverage. We already have a guy like that in Joe Mays. Hightower is just a bigger, meaner Joe Mays.

DenBronx
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Who in the heck is Mel Kiper? He misses more than not.

underrated29
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Alfred williams "Do you like to rush the passer or stuff the run?"

Wolfe- " I like to kick ass"

BroncoWave
04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Who in the heck is Mel Kiper? He misses more than not.

Do you have numbers to back this claim up or is it just more regurgitated Kiper hate since that's the popular thing to do?

topscribe
04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I trust EFX more than I do mcDanials but didn't mayock also tout Ayers as the best DE in the draft?
And Ayers may be yet. He began to establish himself well at his natural position
after the failed experiment at linebacker. Mayock did say that would happen
within three years. As I implied, Ayers never got his three years at DE.

I value Mayock's opinion highly. If he does make a mistake occasionally, that
doesn't qualify him as less than an expert, IMO . . .

Nick
04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
After watch the video I felt intimidated, I can only imagine playing against him. He was talking nice to. lol

hotcarl
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Yeah

topscribe
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Honestly Zam, I wasn't super impressed with Hightower, either. He's a 2 down ILB in the 3-4. He's not fast enough to run sideline to sideline in the 4-3 and he's almost worthless in coverage. We already have a guy like that in Joe Mays. Hightower is just a bigger, meaner Joe Mays.
And maybe not even that. Have you noticed Mays' bod? And he's a thumper and then some.

So you're right, IMO. Selecting Hightower would have been a colossal mistake . . .

iLands
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
We have a MLB. Fox and Del Rio know Irving will be the man.

CoachChaz
04-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Alfred williams "Do you like to rush the passer or stuff the run?"

Wolfe- " I like to kick ass"

Hell yeah!

G_Money
04-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Wolfe is the DT you draft if you hate opposing QBs and think they'll have to throw a lot to keep up with you. Run stuffing DTs who can't collapse the pocket aren't as useful for this team with Manning. I'd still take one - there are a couple still available - but Wolfe is in your rotation to blow up draw plays and mash QBs. If he can play all three downs even better, but next year when we replace Ayers with a pass rusher too... Look out, world.

Wolfe's a good pick. And I'd much rather have him than let SD deploy him against Manning. I really am dying to see him in camp, though.

~G

jhildebrand
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Wolfe is a very nice pick. The guy is big and can grow. His hands are his asset and helps him shed blocks easily. He will be worth the spot selected. I like this pick a lot. He reminds me of Jared Allen just inside.

jhildebrand
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM

He also posted 10 days ago that Denver should take Wolfe. Not a Kiper fan myself but I think he got this one right.

topscribe
04-28-2012, 12:08 AM
"As long as it doesn’t look like I’m tired, I know I got him beat," Wolfe said of utilizing his conditioning on the field. "You can tell in their eyes, you can tell they've got snot bubbles coming out of their nose. You know what it’s like when it’s freaking 75 degrees out and guys are dog-tired and you just stand there with a straight face and don’t put your hands on your hips and don’t bend over. It’s just beating them every play, beating them mentally every play."

(Retrieved 27 April from http://tinyurl.com/72v27to )

Derek Wolfe said this a few weeks ago. At that point, I decided I wanted him
to be a Bronco. Since then, I sort of forgot about it and started slobbering
about Worthy and Thompson. But when Wolfe was selected, this quote came
back to me. Right now, I'm elated!

Cugel
04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
We could have traded up to get Moss at 17. :(

Yup, it COULD have been worse. If I hadn't experience the McApocalypse I wouldn't have believed it, but at least they didn't use a 3rd round pick to trade UP for Jarvis Moss or trade 2 1st rounders for Tebow or trade a 1st for a 2nd and take Alphonso Smith or take Moreno with the 15th pick of the draft and pass on Clay Matthews.

But, next to the McMoron years this is pretty bad.

The Broncos got ZERO impact players and left a LOT of guys who could help Manning win a championship sitting there on the board.

That's not a good thing people. :coffee:

Cugel
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
(Retrieved 27 April from http://tinyurl.com/72v27to )

Derek Wolfe said this a few weeks ago. At that point, I decided I wanted him
to be a Bronco. Since then, I sort of forgot about it and started slobbering
about Worthy and Thompson. But when Wolfe was selected, this quote came
back to me. Right now, I'm elated!

Well, now we know why they reached so badly for Wolfe. They wanted Brock freaking Osweiler with their late second round pick! :rolleyes:

They could have taken a BUNCH of really GOOD players at #36 and still gotten Wolfe later in the round.

They didn't HAVE to draft Tommy Maddox II so he could hold a clipboard for the next 3 or 4 years, you know.

If I had to bet tonight, I'd bet that Peyton Manning will play for 4 years and that Osweiler will NEVER be the Broncos starting QB because they'll ship him out before then, before his contract expires.

The Super Bowl requires an elite QB. There are only 6 or 7 of them in the NFL. If you don't have one you have virtually no chance of winning the SB. At some point, Matt Shaub or Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan might join that elite crowd and bring it up to 8 or 10 out of 32 teams. But, as of now they just aren't good enough.

For the next 3 years at least Denver has an elite QB. They should forget about getting Manning's replacement and concentrate on helping Manning win NOW!

If Denver can win the SB it won't matter if they tank the next season after Manning retires. They're going to be crap at that point anyway because Brock Osweiler is never going to be the next Tom Brady.

He's destined to be Tommy Maddox when they brought him in back up Elway. Waste of a pick. :coffee:

shank
04-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Yup, it COULD have been worse. If I hadn't experience the McApocalypse I wouldn't have believed it, but at least they didn't use a 3rd round pick to trade UP for Jarvis Moss or trade 2 1st rounders for Tebow or trade a 1st for a 2nd and take Alphonso Smith or take Moreno with the 15th pick of the draft and pass on Clay Matthews.

But, next to the McMoron years this is pretty bad.

The Broncos got ZERO impact players and left a LOT of guys who could help Manning win a championship sitting there on the board.

That's not a good thing people. :coffee:
really?
both wolfe and hillman will have an impact this season.

your posts would make my eyes and brain bleed a lot less if you toned down the hyperbole and absolutes a bit.

jhildebrand
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM
They should forget about getting Manning's replacement and concentrate on helping Manning win NOW!

That is my take on all of this too. You say it is plan A. Then go out and implement that plan and get players that can have an impact and see the field NOW. This QB class wasn't anything to desire anyway. If you want to take a flyer on a guy, do it next year when the class will be much deeper at QB.

I would have loved to see almost any other player taken there-OL, DL, CB, S, LB, WR. Brock Osweiler does nothing for this team.

As for Wolfe. i don't think he would have been there. I think the word has been SD was ready to take him.

Jsteve01
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
it's standard fare for cugel. Hillman is the perfect back for a manning style offense. I guess blazing speed and tons of great tape don't count. I'm in the minority as liking the Osweiler pick. I think he's raw but his ceiling is ridiculously high. Wolfe gets zero respect. I keep hearing about all these other guys but at the end the of the day the gripe about our tackles has been a lack of pass rush. Well 21 TFL and 9 sacks last year for Wolfe says he brings exactly that. He's also an underrated athlete. People are acting like he rans 5.5 40s. He ran 5 flat 40 and repped more than still or worthy. He's the most polished pass rushing 3 tech I saw in this years draft and you have zero to worry about in the effort realm.

Cugel
04-28-2012, 12:33 AM
really?

your posts would make my eyes and brain bleed a lot less if you toned down the hyperbole and absolutes a bit.

Hillman could have an impact backing up McGahee as a 3rd down change of pace back, but he's clearly NOT an every down back. As for Wolfe, just watch and see.

He's sure as HELL NOT going to start ahead of Justin Bannan or Ty Warren or Vickerson this season. And none of those guys is particularly great.

IF Wolfe works out in 3 years it will be about what you expect. A developmental player who was a reach pick but who has some talent and could become a valuable starter in time.

But, he's not going to have an impact this year, no.

There were a few DTs who COULD be impact players in this season, and you saw teams trade up to grab them in the second round after they saw Denver inexplicably leaving Jerel Worthy, Reyes and Still sitting on the board.

We KNOW why the Broncos drafted Wolfe at #36 and it sure WASN'T because he was worth that pick! And they knew it too!

The reason they made such a head scratching reach for a player who was at best a LATE 2nd round pick or early 3rd round pick, was because they intended to take Osweiler with their 2nd pick and were afraid Wolfe would be gone by the time they drafted in the 3rd (this was before they moved UP in the 3rd after all).

So they made an wild reach for Wolfe.

That's exactly HOW teams screw up the draft! Taking a player because "he's our guy and we didn't think he'd be available in late in the 3rd round so we had to grab him a round early."

That's the VERY DEFINITION OF REACHING! Falling in love with a player and then grabbing him long before anybody else would even consider that player.

Cue Mike Shanahan explaining why he just had to draft Darius Watts in the 2nd round. Lots of fans defended that pick too. :coffee:

topscribe
04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Well, now we know why they reached so badly for Wolfe. They wanted Brock freaking Osweiler with their late second round pick! :rolleyes:

They could have taken a BUNCH of really GOOD players at #36 and still gotten Wolfe later in the round.

They didn't HAVE to draft Tommy Maddox II so he could hold a clipboard for the next 3 or 4 years, you know.

If I had to bet tonight, I'd bet that Peyton Manning will play for 4 years and that Osweiler will NEVER be the Broncos starting QB because they'll ship him out before then, before his contract expires.

The Super Bowl requires an elite QB. There are only 6 or 7 of them in the NFL. If you don't have one you have virtually no chance of winning the SB. At some point, Matt Shaub or Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan might join that elite crowd and bring it up to 8 or 10 out of 32 teams. But, as of now they just aren't good enough.

For the next 3 years at least Denver has an elite QB. They should forget about getting Manning's replacement and concentrate on helping Manning win NOW!

If Denver can win the SB it won't matter if they tank the next season after Manning retires. They're going to be crap at that point anyway because Brock Osweiler is never going to be the next Tom Brady.

He's destined to be Tommy Maddox when they brought him in back up Elway. Waste of a pick. :coffee:
Wow, you took that quote and surmised all that? :look:

You might have just defined psychic fail . . .

bcbronc
04-28-2012, 02:08 AM
I bet cugel is a lot of fun at Thanksgiving dinner.

Anyone know if Wolfe played any end in college? Just going from highlight clips watched since he's been a Bronco, but looks like he could be long enough and athletic enough to play DE on 1st down or obvious run situations. Wolfe-Ayers at DE on run downs, Wolfe goes inside in the nickle package, Ayers joins him inside in dime or 3rd and long. Not necessarily as a rookie, but 2-3 years down the road.

Lancane
04-28-2012, 04:22 AM
I bet cugel is a lot of fun at Thanksgiving dinner.

Anyone know if Wolfe played any end in college? Just going from highlight clips watched since he's been a Bronco, but looks like he could be long enough and athletic enough to play DE on 1st down or obvious run situations. Wolfe-Ayers at DE on run downs, Wolfe goes inside in the nickle package, Ayers joins him inside in dime or 3rd and long. Not necessarily as a rookie, but 2-3 years down the road.

Actually, Denver plans on moving him around - he'll play defensive end on running downs and then move him inside on passing downs according to the Denver Post.

horsepig
04-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Major reach.

Isn't this whole draft a major reach? Trade down because the guys we liked were all gone? WTF. That's why Belichek twisted our nuts and took Hightower while Elway was jacking off over Osweiberbergermiester being taller than the Chyrsler bvuilding.

Who playe3d that deal better, Elway or Belichik?

Northman
04-28-2012, 07:34 AM
really?

Im surprised you guys even read his useless tripe anymore. :lol:

Dapper Dan
04-28-2012, 08:14 AM
I just don't understand people. Denver drafted Wolfe. If you don't like it, they still drafted Wolfe. If it works out, you look like an ass and Denver is successful. If it doesn't work, you put your old quote on your signature and your team struggles. What is the point exqctly? I've learned to accept who we draft because I don't want to turn into a grumpy old man.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 08:45 AM
I appreciate your opinion but the PATS / BB moved UP for the first time in 8 YEARS to make a selection and HIGHTOWER is the guy that illicited this radical change in patriot draft behavior !
So either BB is smoking something new, or his opinion regarding hightowers skill and VERSATILITY differsa greatly from yours.
lets bsee how it plays out in the season.
the sad thing still remains, many feel we could have taken hightower and still have been able to select WOLFE at our original spot.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 08:46 AM
I just don't understand people. Denver drafted Wolfe. If you don't like it, they still drafted Wolfe. If it works out, you look like an ass and Denver is successful. If it doesn't work, you put your old quote on your signature and your team struggles. What is the point exqctly? I've learned to accept who we draft because I don't want to turn into a grumpy old man.whats wrong with being a grumpy old man?

Cugel
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I just don't understand people. Denver drafted Wolfe. If you don't like it, they still drafted Wolfe. If it works out, you look like an ass and Denver is successful. If it doesn't work, you put your old quote on your signature and your team struggles. What is the point exqctly? I've learned to accept who we draft because I don't want to turn into a grumpy old man.

So, you're just fine with them having drafted Moreno and Ayers instead of Orakpo and Clay Matthews or having used the #14 pick of the draft on Alphonso Smith? Or spending two #1 picks to move up and grab Tebow, just because it's "in the past"?

Those horrible picks still impact the Broncos, and NO! I'm not going to just "get over it." I'm still mad about that stuff, but accept that the perpetrator of all that horror, McMoron has been fired.

So, EFX comes to town and they're supposed to be the saviors. They're supposed to actually KNOW how to do a professional job of drafting. They're not supposed to make the kind of draft mistakes that Shanahan routinely made when he would fall in love with some player and grab him a round or two ahead of where everybody else had him ranked.

Only they proceed to have a VERY Mediocre draft in 2011, by their OWN judgment, not mine.

They drafted Rahim Moore and Nate Irving as high #2 and #3 picks and NEITHER is starting or is ever likely to do so (they've brought in Mike Adams and re-signed Joe Mays and paid them $8,000,000 to start over both).

But, everybody thought the Miller pick was a sign that EFX were geniuses or something. It wasn't that hard to get a real impact player when you have every defensive player in the entire draft to choose from and Patrick Peterson, Dareus and Von Miller are sitting right there.

SO, after the got Manning, the question for the draft was: "was the 2011 draft just bad luck that they missed on a couple of picks, or is Brian Xanders really an idiot who can't find a decent pick with both hands?"

Well, first they wanted Doug Martin, and thought they could get cute by trading back and taking him at #36, only to see the Bucs grab him at #31. Ooops! "We traded down and they grabbed our guy."

Then they had to reach wildly for a late 2nd or 3rd round player in Wolfe because Elway fell in love with Brock Osweiler so they couldn't draft Wolfe at #57, and take a real impact player at #36.

That's NOT an impact player. They don't need a damn QB! They need a guy who's going to help Peyton Manning win a SB in the next 3 years, because realistically, THAT is the ONLY chance Denver is going to have of winning the SB in this decade, unless they get wildly lucky and find another elite QB like an Elway, Brady, Brees, Aaron Rogers, or Eli Manning.

So, no, pardon me if I'm bluntly against the Osweiler pick and less than totally excited by Wolfe and Ronnie Hillman.

Hillman is a RB and they needed a RB. So, he could be decent. Nothing wrong with this pick except that there were better RBs in the draft. I'm not against the pick PER SE, except that this was the ONLY impact player in their entire draft class.

And they needed to forget about finding "our replacement for Manning."

The replacement for Manning wasn't in this draft class except for Luck and RGIII and they were gone with the top 2 picks.

underrated29
04-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Hillman could have an impact backing up McGahee as a 3rd down change of pace back, but he's clearly NOT an every down back. As for Wolfe, just watch and see.

He's sure as HELL NOT going to start ahead of Justin Bannan or Ty Warren or Vickerson this season. And none of those guys is particularly great.

IF Wolfe works out in 3 years it will be about what you expect. A developmental player who was a reach pick but who has some talent and could become a valuable starter in time.

But, he's not going to have an impact this year, no.

There were a few DTs who COULD be impact players in this season, and you saw teams trade up to grab them in the second round after they saw Denver inexplicably leaving Jerel Worthy, Reyes and Still sitting on the board.

We KNOW why the Broncos drafted Wolfe at #36 and it sure WASN'T because he was worth that pick! And they knew it too!

The reason they made such a head scratching reach for a player who was at best a LATE 2nd round pick or early 3rd round pick, was because they intended to take Osweiler with their 2nd pick and were afraid Wolfe would be gone by the time they drafted in the 3rd (this was before they moved UP in the 3rd after all).

So they made an wild reach for Wolfe.

That's exactly HOW teams screw up the draft! Taking a player because "he's our guy and we didn't think he'd be available in late in the 3rd round so we had to grab him a round early."

That's the VERY DEFINITION OF REACHING! Falling in love with a player and then grabbing him long before anybody else would even consider that player.

Cue Mike Shanahan explaining why he just had to draft Darius Watts in the 2nd round. Lots of fans defended that pick too. :coffee:

I bet ya Wolfe has greater or equal to the numbers of those three guys you had your heart set on next year. And we don't have to worry about injuries or motor issues. Wanna bet?

iLands
04-28-2012, 09:03 AM
If Wolfe isn't an impact player at #36, I don't know what would have been.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
And maybe not even that. Have you noticed Mays' bod? And he's a thumper and then some.

So you're right, IMO. Selecting Hightower would have been a colossal mistake . . .so your telling me that BB the defensive guru a guy who always trades OUT of the first round, made a colossal mistake in moving up for the first time in 8 YEARS to make his very first selection in this years draft?
hardly plausable, sorry.
I admit, I had hoped for hightower BEFORE the draft, BB manuevering to get him, just confirms that this guy has every chance to be an impact player from day ONE !
we gave away a starting MLB, a position of NEED for this team, THIS year and in the FUTURE.
sorry, wolfe and other DTs would have been available if we stood pat, pardon the irony.
many are saying that WOLFE wont even be a starter for a few years... FAIL.
we traded out of the first round, only to reach for a guy in the second. I hope for the best with EVERY player we select, but end result, we gave away HIGHTOWER to reach for a DT when a handful of quality DT were available at our original round 2 spot !
WOLFE better be an impact player or we pissed away TWO first round draft opportunities for squat!
be honest with yourselves, if JMCD pulled this crap you would be livid.
this was NOT sensable drafting!

MOtorboat
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
so your telling me that BB the defensive guru a guy who always trades OUT of the first round, made a colossal mistake in moving up for the first time in 8 YEARS to make his very first selection in this years draft?
hardly plausable, sorry.
I admit, I had hoped for hightower BEFORE the draft, BB manuevering to get him, just confirms that this guy has every chance to be an impact player from day ONE !
we gave away a starting MLB, a position of NEED for this team, THIS year and in the FUTURE.
sorry, wolfe and other DTs would have been available if we stood pat, pardon the irony.
we traded out of the first round, only to reach for a guy in the second. I hope for the best with EVERY player we select, but end result, we gave away HIGHTOWER to reach for a DT when a handful of quality DT were available at our original round 2 spot !
WOLFE better be an impact player or we pissed away TWO first round draft opportunities for squat!

Belichek's defensive drafts have been less than stellar for about five years.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, first they wanted Doug Martin, and thought they could get cute by trading back and taking him at #36, only to see the Bucs grab him at #31. Ooops! "We traded down and they grabbed our guy."

Then they had to reach wildly for a late 2nd or 3rd round player in Wolfe because Elway fell in love with Brock Osweiler so they couldn't draft Wolfe at #57, and take a real impact player at #36.

link?

claymore
04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
so your telling me that BB the defensive guru a guy who always trades OUT of the first round, made a colossal mistake in moving up for the first time in 8 YEARS to make his very first selection in this years draft?
hardly plausable, sorry.

EFX has only had success thus far. THats the difference. as of 4/28/12 this draft isnt sexy at all. But I dont have the panicky feeling because EFX has hit on most things, situations etc thus far. They deserve some patience. They have a plan, they have been patient etc... This ship seems to have direction.

chazoe60
04-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm loving this draft so far.

Dzone
04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I like the idea that he is a sack master

Nomad
04-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I'll be rootin for Wolfe to have many years of success here. He's no Ngata but he's a BRONCO and supposed to be a gettin after the QB. That's what I asked for.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree that EFX were fixated on wolfe and brock.
they FAILED to consider alternatives, they feared not getting their 'targets' and consequently pisse away to chances to draft a difference maker in the FIRST round!
both players and teams who stole our first round draft opportunities are receiving PRAISAE from everyone for their selections and manuevering.
WTF does that tell you about the broncos manuever?
I hope all our selections work out, our first overall pick, better be a BEAST, because the broncos pissed away alot to get him over any alternatives.
BROCK is like a 3 year savings bond or insurance policy! we all pray we dont have to cash in his value early !

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
they FAILED to consider alternatives, they feared not getting their 'targets' and consequently pisse away to chances to draft a difference maker in the FIRST round!
both players and teams who stole our first round draft opportunities are receiving PRAISAE from everyone for their selections and manuevering.
I hope all our selections work out, our first overall pick, better be a BEAST, because the broncos pissed away alot to get him over any alternatives.
BROCK is like a 3 year savings bond or insurance policy! we all pray we dont have to cash in his value early !

OR EFX wanted an inside pass rush and actually got it.

MOtorboat
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Well, if it's on TV it must be true.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I hope you are right !
last years draft, no DT, EFX played the roll of victim.
this year they hit their targets, I see them give up a round one selection in the process.
cant be enthusiastic, but i will be hopefull. the kid from SDS could be something special, i HOPE wolfe justifies the fall of this years dominos.
ELWAY targeted osweiler, I have to put my faith in elways knowledge of the position.

but honestly, if this was the work of JMCD I would be sharpening my pitch-fork, heating up the caldron of TAR and tearing open some pillows !

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 09:28 AM
OR EFX wanted an inside pass rush and actually got it.and what value will that have if we still cant stop the run, and manning spends 45 minutes of every game on the sidelines.
we need to stop the run, hello?

claymore
04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
I want to see where EFX had these other DT's rated.

Chef Zambini
04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
when was the last time we beat the manning led colts?
HOW did we accomplish that?
... and I am sure it is the same M.O. for every team that we will face this year !
they will try to RUN the ball, first early, and OFTEN, to keep manning on the sideline!
We have to be able to stop the run FIRST !

Dapper Dan
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
So, you're just fine with them having drafted Moreno and Ayers instead of Orakpo and Clay Matthews or having used the #14 pick of the draft on Alphonso Smith? Or spending two #1 picks to move up and grab Tebow, just because it's "in the past"?

Those horrible picks still impact the Broncos, and NO! I'm not going to just "get over it." I'm still mad about that stuff, but accept that the perpetrator of all that horror, McMoron has been fired.

So, EFX comes to town and they're supposed to be the saviors. They're supposed to actually KNOW how to do a professional job of drafting. They're not supposed to make the kind of draft mistakes that Shanahan routinely made when he would fall in love with some player and grab him a round or two ahead of where everybody else had him ranked.

Only they proceed to have a VERY Mediocre draft in 2011, by their OWN judgment, not mine.

They drafted Rahim Moore and Nate Irving as high #2 and #3 picks and NEITHER is starting or is ever likely to do so (they've brought in Mike Adams and re-signed Joe Mays and paid them $8,000,000 to start over both).

But, everybody thought the Miller pick was a sign that EFX were geniuses or something. It wasn't that hard to get a real impact player when you have every defensive player in the entire draft to choose from and Patrick Peterson, Dareus and Von Miller are sitting right there.

SO, after the got Manning, the question for the draft was: "was the 2011 draft just bad luck that they missed on a couple of picks, or is Brian Xanders really an idiot who can't find a decent pick with both hands?"

That's NOT an impact player. They don't need a damn QB! They need a guy who's going to help Peyton Manning win a SB in the next 3 years, because realistically, THAT is the ONLY chance Denver is going to have of winning the SB in this decade, unless they get wildly lucky and find another elite QB like an Elway, Brady, Brees, Aaron Rogers, or Eli Manning.

So, no, pardon me if I'm bluntly against the Osweiler pick and less than totally excited by Wolfe and Ronnie Hillman.

Hillman is a RB and they needed a RB. So, he could be decent. Nothing wrong with this pick except that there were better RBs in the draft. I'm not against the pick PER SE, except that this was the ONLY impact player in their entire draft class.

The replacement for Manning wasn't in this draft class except for Luck and RGIII and they were gone with the top 2 picks.

I'm sorry you're unhappy.

iLands
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I see that we got the player we wanted and an additional pick.

I see shrewd. You don't.

Different teams have different needs.

We've been getting huge value for our needs. Oh man, we pick so soon!

MOtorboat
04-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Some positives you can focus on if you're tired of listening to some of this crap:

Co-Big East Defensive Player of the Year
Big East All-Conference First Team selection
21.5 tackles for loss in 2011 (First in Big East; Fifth in the country)
9.5 sacks in 2011 (Third in Big East, and ahead of first round selection Bruce Irvin)
70 tackles from an interior line position in 2011 (23rd in tackles in Big East)
John Pease Most Outstanding Defensive Lineman Award co-winner
Second-Team All-America selection by the Associated Press
Second-Team All-America selection by Scout.com
Second-Team All-America selection by SI.com
Second-Team All-America selection by Yahoo! Sports
Third-Team All-America selection by Phil Steele Magazines

iLands
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Some positives you can focus on if you're tired of listening to some of this crap:

If all else fails, watch my sig until you are brainwashed.

pipes
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM

I heard that the guy that they actually wanted was David DeCastro. When he was gone, they decided to trade back. They HAD to have known that the Bucs' target was Martin.

Schefter even reported BEFORE the draft that he expected EFX to trade back probably because they knew Kirkpatrick and Gilmore would be long gone and DeCastro would probably not be there.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
We all knew Cugel was going to post pages of complaints. Thats about as much of a surprise as us moving out of the first round.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 10:50 AM
when was the last time we beat the manning led colts?
HOW did we accomplish that?
... and I am sure it is the same M.O. for every team that we will face this year !
they will try to RUN the ball, first early, and OFTEN, to keep manning on the sideline!
We have to be able to stop the run FIRST !

Wow.. you mean the same thing that teams have tried to do for the last 14 years while he was in indy? I hope teams don't know about this secret.

Northman
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
We all knew Cugel was going to post pages of complaints. Thats about as much of a surprise as us moving out of the first round.

Very true. I dont remember seeing him at all when we were winning ballgames last year. Are we sure he isnt a Raider fan in hiding? :lol:

BORDERLINE
04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Glad we addressed this position. I don't know anything about this guy but i'm sure EFX did their homework

rationalfan
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM

1. many teams fixate on a handful of guys in the draft and then plan their strategies to move up/down to get them. this isn't news. this isn't a bad thing. it's what nfl teams do in the draft. baltimore does it. yet, they're seen as "good" drafters? (mostly, i believe, because they pick players with familiar names). the fallacy of the draft run-up is that every one of the players in the top two rounds is somebody that every team wants. bogus. teams scout/draft to their needs - not just for position; but for scheme, attitude, health, mental capacity, etc. the result is a group of the players they project to be available at their drafting slots that work for the team. just because FAN X thinks PLAYER Y will work in Denver doesn't mean the team believes that, or that it's true.

2. i also have to wonder if some fans are ever content with anything. "draft a DT." so the broncos do. "but not that one." ugh. if you want to make the calls, become a GM. criticism is cool. but narrow-mindedness is just annoying.

3. New England and Tampa Bay also selected players that fit well into their systems. I wanted Hightower to be a Bronco. But after listening to some analysts (schlereth and john clayton, i believe), i realized he's not a 4-3 MLB. He's better suited to the 3-4 ILB position. it's why people are suggesting New England will be returning to the 3-4 on a more permanent basis. As for Martin, I don't know. I really don't. And I'm cool with admitting that.

iLands
04-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I wanted Hightower to be a Bronco. But...he's not a 4-3 MLB. He's better suited to the 3-4 ILB position.

This. This. This.

DenBronx
04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
EFX has only had success thus far. THats the difference. as of 4/28/12 this draft isnt sexy at all. But I dont have the panicky feeling because EFX has hit on most things, situations etc thus far. They deserve some patience. They have a plan, they have been patient etc... This ship seems to have direction.

I don't overall really agree with who they picked other than maybe Wolfe. But, you're right. They are a solid core of coaches and so far they have done nothing but turn things around quickly. And for that it's hard to gripe. I'm still as excited as ever to see the Broncos play.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I think Wolfe is a guy that can be a solid starter for 10 years in this league. Is he ever going to be a "star?" Most probably not. But getting a solid, strong, DT that has the ability to do his job for 7-8-10 years in the NFL is the kind of picks I hope we continue to make.

DenBronx
04-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Via facebook.

Elvis Dumervil

Just wanted to give a shout out to Derek Wolfe!We are all glad your a Bronco and we look forward to getting to work.Helping you in any way we can. Welcome to Bronco Nation!Derek.

Tned
04-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Just watched the combine Q&A in this thread, and listened to Wolfe's intro and Q&A at Dove Valley (streaming on KOA). I like what I hear. Guy sounds very motivated. Hope it translates on the field.

BronColt
04-28-2012, 02:28 PM
After watching a lot of video on this guy, he reminds me alot of Nick Fairley, the Lions top round DL pick last year from Auburn. Very strong with a great motor and a nose for the quarterback. On most of his sacks he has another o-lineman on his back or being drug by him as he's taking the QB to the ground. If you get a rushing D-Line you do it for one reason, you plan on playing with the lead and the opposing team will have to throw to catch up. Excellent pick!

Tned
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Via facebook.

Elvis Dumervil

Just wanted to give a shout out to Derek Wolfe!We are all glad your a Bronco and we look forward to getting to work.Helping you in any way we can. Welcome to Bronco Nation!Derek.

How many indignant Broncos fans sent Dumervil nasty Tweets or Facebook replies that it's "Broncos Country" not "Broncos Nation"?

DenBronx
04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
How many indignant Broncos fans sent Dumervil nasty Tweets or Facebook replies that it's "Broncos Country" not "Broncos Nation"?

Broncos fans are worldwide....not just a country or nation. So we need to update our slogan to Broncos World or Broncos Planet.

Tebowtime2011
04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I just watched some highlights on this guy and some of his lowlights as well I noticed in order for him to succeed he needs help at techniques to rush the passer and get off blocks it seems like every play all he does is bullrush and when he dies this he usually overpowers his opponent but he also gets stuck on his block in the backfield and can't make the tackle and needs to get comfortable with other ways to get in the backfield

rationalfan
04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I think Wolfe is a guy that can be a solid starter for 10 years in this league. Is he ever going to be a "star?" Most probably not. But getting a solid, strong, DT that has the ability to do his job for 7-8-10 years in the NFL is the kind of picks I hope we continue to make.

i love this comment. and i think it illustrates my biggest problem with the draft: so many fans expect every first or second round pick to be a superstar. that's why DJ Williams still hears whispers of being a "bust" despite being a starter for, what, seven years? yet, the fact that he's been a productive starter for years is exactly what you want from a high draft pick. that's a very good pick.

superstars are few and far between. you get lucky to have one or two. but long term, productive starters are what you need to win in the NFL.

as for wolfe, i LOVE that he was pissed when baltimore didn't pick him. it shows me two things:
1. this guy is very competitive and wants to win at everything. give the broncos those types of players every day.
2. if he believed baltimore was going to pick him, that shows baltimore really wanted him. if we continue to cite baltimore as a team that "knows how to draft" we should be very pleased with the fact denver is picking from the same field, so to speak.

G_Money
04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I'll high five that post even though I hate DJ Williams. I'm all for productive starters in a draft, rather than sexy talent picks. Just not sure we got many productive starters, either. I like the Wolfe pick, though.

~G

dogfish
04-28-2012, 04:14 PM

none with any brains, that's for sure!

broncos country, my ass. . . that's nothing but an uber-lame marketing slogan that the team tried to force on the fans when they killed the old mania site and replaced it with that abortion of a facebook rip-off site. . .

broncobryce
04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
I just watched some highlights on this guy and some of his lowlights as well I noticed in order for him to succeed he needs help at techniques to rush the passer and get off blocks it seems like every play all he does is bullrush and when he dies this he usually overpowers his opponent but he also gets stuck on his block in the backfield and can't make the tackle and needs to get comfortable with other ways to get in the backfield

I think your . key is broken.

Tebowtime2011
04-28-2012, 08:22 PM

I think your . key is broken. No its fine I just thought people would focus on the actual details of the post instead of if I cared enough to place good literature and grammar in it.

dogfish
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
No its fine I just thought people would focus on the actual details of the post instead of if I cared enough to place good literature and grammar in it.

you definitely didn't place any good literature in it!

:rofl: :lol: :lol:

topscribe
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
hardly plausable, sorry.
I'm not that shallow of a thinker. I don't care who did the drafting. I look at
the player and the situation. Those are the criteria that concern me. Same
with who drafted Hightower and what he had to do to get them. I don't care.
IMO, Hightower is a thumper who lacks the sideline-to-sideline speed that I
would like to see in a MLB. In other words, we already have one Mays. I don't
see the need for another . . .

Simple Jaded
04-29-2012, 08:52 AM
One thing people fail to mention when we criticize a players level of competition is the fact that Wolfe will not be getting Big East coaching with the Denver Broncos. I like his quickness on the snap, it's inconsistent but it's there. He needs to get stronger and in a hurry because Denver needs him to be this years Orlando Franklin and not next this years Rahim Moore. I still see no reason to write Moore off so soon, but Denver needs Wolfe to make an impact this year.

And it doesn't have to be a ridiculous J.J Watt expectation either, like I said, a contribution along the lines of Franklin with enough impact to give you the hope of a long time starter.......

underrated29
04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
One thing people fail to mention when we criticize a players level of competition is the fact that Wolfe will not be getting Big East coaching with the Denver Broncos. I like his quickness on the snap, it's inconsistent but it's there. He needs to get stronger and in a hurry because Denver needs him to be this years Orlando Franklin and not next this years Rahim Moore. I still see no reason to write Moore off so soon, but Denver needs Wolfe to make an impact this year.

And it doesn't have to be a ridiculous J.J Watt expectation either, like I said, a contribution along the lines of Franklin with enough impact to give you the hope of a long time starter.......

That's exactly it link.

Wolf doesn't need to come in and drop 9in sacks at DT this year. It would be nice no doubt, but what we really need him to do is put enough pressure on the pocket to keep the qb from stepping up into it. We already have the guys that will get the sacks. We just need wolf to keep the qb from moving up out of their way. While I still anticipate he will get a few sacks, I think the ability to force the qb into our ferocious sack masters will be the hidden accomplishment.

claymore
04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
none with any brains, that's for sure!

broncos country, my ass. . . that's nothing but an uber-lame marketing slogan that the team tried to force on the fans when they killed the old mania site and replaced it with that abortion of a facebook rip-off site. . .

Ive always thought Brouncos Country was pretty lame as well. Broncos Nation, Broncos Mania... Both better names..

Northman
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Ive always thought Brouncos Country was pretty lame as well. Broncos Nation, Broncos Mania... Both better names..

Ive just never cared for the layout or look of that site. But yea, the name doesnt help.

topscribe
04-29-2012, 12:43 PM
No its fine I just thought people would focus on the actual details of the post instead of if I cared enough to place good literature and grammar in it.
You may have noticed there is actually a lot of reading to participating
in a message board. Grammar and punctuation don't have to be perfect,
and the posters let most of it slide. But it would be to your benefit to
make it easier to read. Separating sentences with periods do just that. :)

Dapper Dan
04-29-2012, 12:50 PM

As long as he types better than Chef, I don't care.

Northman
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Not only that but if someone cant take the time to at least "try" to make it understandable than im not going to waste much time with it. I just cant find myself taking someone seriously when they dont even attempt to make it readable.

Tebowtime2011
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
hardly plausable, sorry.
I'm not that shallow of a thinker. I don't care who did the drafting. I look at
the player and the situation. Those are the criteria that concern me. Same
with who drafted Hightower and what he had to do to get them. I don't care.
IMO, Hightower is a thumper who lacks the sideline-to-sideline speed that I
would like to see in a MLB. In other words, we already have one Mays. I don't
see the need for another . . . I see the need for another one though think about the patriots and rob gronkowski and aaron hernandez. The colts are trying to copy that and do the same thing, now think of the 49ers and navarro bowman and patrick willis. They are two unstoppable MLBs and they had the best defense in the league so I'm thinking these days you should have two good MLBs.

topscribe
04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I see the need for another one though think about the patriots and rob gronkowski and aaron hernandez. The colts are trying to copy that and do the same thing, now think of the 49ers and navarro bowman and patrick willis. They are two unstoppable MLBs and they had the best defense in the league so I'm thinking these days you should have two good MLBs.
I understand your thinking. However, I don't believe the answer is in having
two relatively show linebackers there. Perhaps this is what they see in Irving,
who does have speed . . .

iLands
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Perhaps this is what they see in Irving,
who does have speed . . .

I think that's the answer.

NightTerror218
04-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I think this guy would have been drafted early 2nd, so I am glad we got him. I heard a lot of talk about him the couple days prior to the draft.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I think this guy would have been drafted early 2nd, so I am glad we got him. I heard a lot of talk about him the couple days prior to the draft.

No one cares what teams think! It matters what the magazines say! It matters what the websites say! It matters what the arm-chair quarterbacks think!

Obviously Wolfe would have been there in the 6th round because Lindy's Sports said so. So we obviously reached by getting him in the second.

Divinelegion
04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I wrote this up for the orange mane.

Why do people think Wolfe is a "lunch pail guy who is all about effort, but not great rushing the passer" when he was one of two quality linemen, meaning he took >35% of the double teams, and his senior season compiled 9.5 sacks with 21.5 tackles for a loss? He's not a subpar athlete.

I love the pick personally. You get a guy who has DE athleticism (4.44 shuttle & 7.26 cone), size (6'5" 295), and production.

He has the same body type, and workout stats as Ndomukong Suh

Suh 6'4" 306 40: 5.03 Bench: 32 Vert: 35.5 Shuttle: 4.44 Cone: 7.21 Broad: 8.05
Wolfe 6'5" 295 40: 5.01 Bench: 33 Vert: 33.5 Shuttle: 4.44 Cone :7.26 Broad: 9.0

Senior season

Suh: 85 Tackles 24 TFL 12 Sacks
Wolfe: 70 Tackles 21.5 TFL 9.5 Sacks

As a Nebraska fan I can assure you I am not trying to say that Wolfe "is" Ndomukong Suh, however I am comparing the two for arguments sake. Suh's status as one of the most gifted defensive tackle prospects in the last 20 years makes him a great standard. Watching Wolfe play I see a guy who is solid on the line, has a decent repertoire of pass rush moves, can get skinny, moves well laterally, and is a punishing tackler. I don't think he is as dominating as Suh was coming out of college, but I think he has a really high ceiling. A guy like this lining up on at the DT position with Doom and Miller drawing extra attention on the edge, should have a very smooth transition into the NFL. I'm excited.

Ziggy
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought Wolfe would be drafted in the late 2nd to mid 3rd round area. Who cares? The Broncos drafted a freaking DT with thier first pick in this draft! That alone makes me excited about the pick. Most of this board has been screaming for them to do just that for years now. When they haven't folks have complained, and rightly so. When they do, folks complain because it isn't the DT that they wanted them to draft. All I know is, the Broncos drafted a DT with thier first pick in this draft! I'm a happ camper.

Wolfe dominated at the college level when he was left one on one. Now he goes to the NFL, and I don't see him getting double teamed too often with Doom and Von lining up on the same line. Passing downs were fun to watch last season. They just got better.

bcbronc
04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
another thing with worrying about "which" DT we drafted is how hard the position is to project to the next level. Really might as well just pull a name out of a hat with Stills/Reyes/Worthy/Wolfe the way the position busts. From what I've read, seems Wolfe has the fewest red flags of the quartet, has the production, and has the motor. Be fun seeing how each develops, especially with Reyes in the division.

Jsteve01
04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I just laugh at the people who were trying to asset that he was a less athletic Billy winn. He had better numbers all the way around. 40 time bench everything. Then he had great tape and fantastic stats. He's a less athletic fairley with a much better motor and strength.

Lancane
04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I just laugh at the people who were trying to asset that he was a less athletic Billy winn. He had better numbers all the way around. 40 time bench everything. Then he had great tape and fantastic stats. He's a less athletic fairley with a much better motor and strength.

Don't use logic, it's left a good number of the fans. Unless Mike Mayock calls the kid the greatest or a top five at his position outright then then the kid is a bust, funny thing is that those same said fans are being hypocritical - we drafted the fifth overall quarterback on Mayock's list and he's a bust, whereas had we taken Mayock's eighth overall quarterback in Foles he'd be a stud. In the same breath they argue the opposite against Wolfe. I use to believe we had the greatest fans and they were just passionate, I'm starting to realize that what some have said about us being self-deserving, illogical, whiny fans does have some merit.

dogfish
04-29-2012, 09:48 PM
another thing with worrying about "which" DT we drafted is how hard the position is to project to the next level. Really might as well just pull a name out of a hat with Stills/Reyes/Worthy/Wolfe the way the position busts. From what I've read, seems Wolfe has the fewest red flags of the quartet, has the production, and has the motor. Be fun seeing how each develops, especially with Reyes in the division.

too bad we didn't double those odds and take two of those guys, huh?

:heh:

dogfish
04-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Don't use logic, it's left a good number of the fans. Unless Mike Mayock calls the kid the greatest or a top five at his position outright then then the kid is a bust, funny thing is that those same said fans are being hypocritical - we drafted the fifth overall quarterback on Mayock's list and he's a bust, whereas had we taken Mayock's eighth overall quarterback in Foles he'd be a stud. In the same breath they argue the opposite against Wolfe. I use to believe we had the greatest fans and they were just passionate, I'm starting to realize that what some have said about us being self-deserving, illogical, whiny fans does have some merit.

you and me, cane. . . let's just tear this whole mother****er down!

:boxing:

Dapper Dan
04-29-2012, 11:33 PM
... I use to believe we had the greatest fans and they were just passionate, I'm starting to realize that what some have said about us being self-deserving, illogical, whiny fans does have some merit.

Just like Kentucky fans, except with more teeth.

iLands
04-30-2012, 12:12 AM
#WMD

Wolfe, Miller, Dumervil

Dapper Dan
04-30-2012, 12:32 AM
#WMD

Wolfe, Miller, Dumervil

I totally tweeted this. Now all 40 of my followers will think I thought of this. Muahahaha!