PDA

View Full Version : Rookies get "reality check"

Denver Native (Carol)
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12286290?source=rss

After its first three days of NFL practices, the Broncos' rookie class of 2009 was left to find solace in believing there will be better days ahead.

"It was fun," cornerback Alphonso Smith said. "And it was a reality check as well."

For running back Knowshon Moreno, selected with the No. 12 overall draft pick; defensive end-outside linebacker Robert Ayers, chosen No. 18 overall; and Smith, who was taken at No. 37 in the second round after Denver traded away its first-round pick in 2010; their professional practice debuts reinforced they have a long way to go.

"It's not the speed," Smith said. "It's that everyone is professional. Everyone is a master of their craft. That's where rookies are lacking. You need to be more precise, more disciplined, more on-key."

Injury report.

Among the 28 rookies the Broncos drafted (10) or signed as free agents (18),only two did not participate in the three-day minicamp that concluded Sunday. Wide receiver David Grimes of Notre Dame is nursing a slight hamstring pull and

Kentucky linebacker Braxton Kelly is rehabbing a shoulder injury.

They joined five veterans in the training room: linebackers D.J. Williams (shoulder) and Boss Bailey (knee), running backs J.J. Arrington (knee) and Ryan Torain (knee), and wide receiver Brandon Marshall (hip).

Will any of those veterans be ready to participate June 12-14 in the team's final minicamp?

"We're closing in, but I'm not going to put a time on any of them," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

The one and only.

There are three quarterbacks and two punters. There are six running backs and gobs of linebackers, defensive backs and linemen.

The Broncos have competition at every position but one: place-kicker.

"I've got competition — it's every other kicker in the league," Broncos kicker Matt Prater said. "If I was out here shanking them, I'm sure they would have someone out here Monday."

Honoring the number.

Moreno understands what No. 27 means to the city of Denver. The jersey number was last worn by Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, who was slain just hours after the team's final game in 2006.

Moreno is wearing the number now after talking to Williams' mother, Rosalind, last week.

"I'm happy to be part of her family now," Moreno said. "I'm so privileged to be wearing this number."

Esprit de corps.

After practice Sunday, the offense and defense had to pick one lineman to catch a short punt from punter Brett Kern. Catch it and the unit was dismissed from meetings. Drop it and ...

Offensive tackle Ryan Harris went first. The kick knuckled, and he wound up lunging for the ball. He appeared to make a nice catch, but the ground popped the ball loose.

"The ground or the poundage, one of the two," Harris said.

When Kenny Peterson caught a can of corn for the defense, the offense was given a second chance. This time, left tackle Ryan Clady came through.

Footnotes.

Many times, the Broncos' 3-4 looks more like a 5-2 with the defensive ends standing up at the line of scrimmage. Peterson and Ryan McBean have been getting most of the first-team reps on the defensive line. Wesley Woodyard, who has been replacing the injured D.J. Williams, is the only linebacker who stayed on the field in the nickel package. ... After one fumbled snap, center Kory Lichtensteiger and quarterback Chris Simms had to immediately jog a lap and then run a few sprints after practice. "You can't have something like that happen," Simms said.

ikillz0mbies
05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Once again, you are on top of things Carol. Thanks for the article!

shank
05-03-2009, 11:38 PM
glad to hear that woodyard is taking ILB reps in place of DJ. if he can add a little weight i have no doubt that he could play there... that said, i haven't heard of him adding any weight int he offseason, so i'm a little bit bummed that larsen isn't getting those reps.

oh well, they are both great young players, i can't be picky. thanks carol

LordTrychon
05-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Maybe it was posted somewhere, but do we know who else took starting snaps in the front 7?

BroncoTech
05-04-2009, 01:40 AM
The thought of Simms running laps after practice warms my little heart.

Dirk
05-04-2009, 05:33 AM
The thought of Simms running laps after practice warms my little heart.

:laugh:

Dirk
05-04-2009, 05:34 AM
I'm starting to get excited for the upcoming season with each and every article!

Fan in Exile
05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Maybe it was posted somewhere, but do we know who else took starting snaps in the front 7?

I haven't seen it and I wish they would be more clear about it.

From the article it looks like McBean and Peterson were the DEs? They're both pretty light for a NT.

broncofaninfla
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I was suprised to see McBean in the starting mix, hopefully the kid can play. I guess Ayers will be a OLB?

Fan in Exile
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I was suprised to see McBean in the starting mix, hopefully the kid can play. I guess Ayers will be a OLB?

He's apparently learning both DE and OLB. I think it's going to depend on what team we are playing, and what package they put in.

broncofaninfla
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I can't wait until a depth chart is released. This is a new team on both sides of the ball, can't wait to see who is where.

xzn
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
With Boss and DJ in the training room and everyone else in shorts even Nolan only has a vague idea of who is going to be where right now.

You can't tell much about defense, like Andra said, until the pads start popping!