PDA

View Full Version : So you want to talk about pick value?

Jsteve01
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Ok can we get this out of the way once and for all? I like many others was pissed when I saw us trading back for 4th rounders and position, but there is a simple truth in any market. Value is established by comparable sales ie trades and value is ultimately determined by the buyer not the seller. Last night the value of trading back was established early in the process. You watched multiple teams move back from very high slots in the 1st for 4th rounders. We can complain about it all we like, but the market dictated the value of the picks last night. Don't like it? It doesn't matter it's freshman level economics. And would someone please torch the antiquated pick value chart? If you choose to use said chart as the basis for your argument, your point is already invalid as the new cba has made it irrelevant.

Wanna complain about the picks when they're made? fine, but if there was no one at our slot that we loved and we gained more currency to move around on days two and three by moving out of said slot then mission effing accomplished. As John said. The draft is deep but not at all top heavy, hence the picks in the 2nd third and 4th may hold more value and they don't get guaranteed money

Buff
04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I can't help but feel like we were left clinging to an old draft paradigm. We had it in our heads that we wanted to move back to gain value, and I feel like we ended up losing value as a result.

It used to be that all the smart money acquired picks on day 2 because the salaries were exorbitant on day 1. Now it feels like the smart money will acquire first round picks because it's not cost prohibitive.

I don't know - these guys obviously have a much better feel for their draft board. But I was not crazy about the second trade with the Bucs especially. We didn't even pick up an extra pick.

Jsteve01
04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
but we gained 25 slots in the 4th. I didn't love that trade but I'll live with it. We'll hear over and over about the Baltimore deal but let's face it. Newsome is one of best in the biz. I still think overall the value we got was pretty much fair market.

Buff
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
but we gained 25 slots in the 4th. I didn't love that trade but I'll live with it. We'll hear over and over about the Baltimore deal but let's face it. Newsome is one of best in the biz. I still think overall the value we got was pretty much fair market.

Elway said in his press conference that teams moving back were losing value (I think he meant relative to previous years). But as Vic Lombardi tweeted last night - why move back if that's the case? It just seems like we had our minds made up that we were going to move back, regardless of value.

chazoe60
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I have a feeling this is all about Osweiler. I think Elway wants to draft him badly but didn't want to do it in the first but also knew he wouldn't be there with our original 2nd. Do not be surprised at all to see Osweiler's name called with that early 2nd round pick of ours.

hotcarl
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
if they draft osweiller or that tight end im going to kill myself

weazel
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I understand trading down but why trade down when all you can get is late 4th round picks? lmao, yesterday just made it apparent that this is the same old team doing the same old things at the draft.

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I think we are all so used to looking at the "trade value chart".. and forget that's pretty much out the window now. I think Buff has some good points that it seems that moving UP is not more reasonable, thus may have more value. But the "chart" that gives a reference point as to the 'value' of a pick.....is obsolete now. They either need to come up with a new chart, or come up with a new system.

chazoe60
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
if they draft osweiller or that tight end im going to kill myself

God I hope they draft Osweiler or that TE.

Jsteve01
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I understand trading down but why trade down when all you can get is late 4th round picks? lmao, yesterday just made it apparent that this is the same old team doing the same old things at the draft.

there is huge value in this draft from rounds 2 through 4. Those 3 4th rounders are essentially currency. As guys begin to fall we can either use them to move up, fill our coffers ie draft talented players like Doom and Marshall who happen to slide, or trade them for future higher picks.

rationalfan
04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
damn, people get way too worked up debating whether or not the broncos "win" draft day trades.

case in point, people are still pissed about the picks given up to get tebow; despite the fact he made the team relevant again and brought in MAJOR cash flow to the team's operations. given those two things, that trade was worth every pick they gave up (plus, essentially, the tebow trade allowed the broncos to get manning. big bonus).

there's more to this than getting the "appropriate" return on draft day trades. as long as these trades net player production or victories, who cares what was given up.

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Moving up and down is completely irrelevant when comparing it to the person the team actually drafted after making the trades and seeing how it turns out on the field.

BORDERLINE
04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't get why we can't just SIT their and draft BPA with focus on need. The Steelers never move up and down the draft the Giants don't do it the Pack don't do it. All the solid teams sit their and pick THEIR GUY.

But like I have said before. EFX knows what they are doing. Last year they hit a HOMER with Miller instead of Dareus (the pick I wanted). So i'm no one to talk. I just hope this is all worth it. I don't want to see a QB or a TE because Manning should be here for a couple of years at least and we signed 2 Te in FA already so..I kind of want us to get the RB from Oregon.

BroncoWave
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't get why we can't just SIT their and draft BPA with focus on need. The Steelers never move up and down the draft the Giants don't do it the Pack don't do it. All the solid teams sit their and pick THEIR GUY.

But like I have said before. EFX knows what they are doing. Last year they hit a HOMER with Miller instead of Dareus (the pick I wanted). So i'm no one to talk. I just hope this is all worth it. I don't want to see a QB or a TE because Manning should be here for a couple of years at least and we signed 2 Te in FA already so..I kind of want us to get the RB from Oregon.

The pats trade draft picks ALLLLL the time. But I guess they aren't a solid franchise, huh?

BeefStew25
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
End of the day, all that matters is that the players they draft are performers.

dogfish
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
So you want to talk about pick value?

no, not particularly. . .

:welcome:

dogfish
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM

the giants traded for eli manning-- the packers traded up for clay matthews. . .

Buff
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
The pats trade draft picks ALLLLL the time. But I guess they aren't a solid franchise, huh?

I personally think previous draft habits are completely irrelevant to this discussion as the NFL draft has been turned on its head with the new CBA and rookie wage scale. That goes for examples on both sides of the debate. I think we're looking at a one year sample size of the new draft paradigm.

NightTerror218
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
So with the whole draft value off. We could trade up our 3rd but using a 6th rounder. Or trading into 3rd using a 4th and 6/5th?

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 05:55 PM
So with the whole draft value off. We could trade up our 3rd but using a 6th rounder. Or trading into 3rd using a 4th and 6/5th?

There is no 'new value'.. all value is based purely on what one person/team is willing to give, and what the other is willing to accept.

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM

When? You have pointed out three teams that have been to, and won multible Super Bowls as of late. A lot easier to pick BPA when your team is a Super Bowl contender. Not to mention, as has been pointed out..... they have all moved and traded within the draft on occasions. All teams do.

dogfish
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
nice use of "paradigm," buff. . .

Ravage!!!
04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I had a paradigm today. Added a nickel and traded for a quarter. True story.