PDA

View Full Version : Moreno digesting Broncos' complex offense

Denver Native (Carol)
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9534314/Moreno-digesting-Broncos%27-complex-offense

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - The complexity of the Denver Broncos' offense is confounding Knowshon Moreno.

"Running around like my head's cut off," he said.

Don't worry, rookie. You're far from alone.

New coach Josh McDaniels' intricate offense is making many heads spin as players try to tackle the terminology. The Broncos received a small sampling of what's in store as they finished a three-day voluntary minicamp Sunday.

The errors were abundant over the three days - just as McDaniels expected.

"They're going to make mistakes for a little while," he said. "That's what these practices are for, to get those kinks out and hopefully come to training camp and not have to iron them all out."

For Moreno, it was an eye-opening minicamp. He came away with the realization that he needs to bury himself in the books.

"You've got to really study, you've got to be in the playbook at night when you get home, even though it's late," said Moreno, who was taken with the 12th pick in last weekend's draft. "It's tough."

LaMont Jordan can vouch for that. He's already quite versed in McDaniels' schemes after playing last season with New England. Yet even he feels swamped.

"I'm still learning," Jordan said. "Just when you think you know it all, you don't ... That's why we're all helping one another out. The more (Moreno) studies, the more he's around, the more he hears the verbiage, the quicker he'll pick it up."

So far, Jordan has been impressed with the rookie out of Georgia. Not so much for Moreno's play-making ability as his ability to listen and learn.

"I like his energy," Jordan said. "He's having fun, he's trying to learn. As a player, that's what you want to see. He's learning on the run."

But why draft another tailback? After all, the team brought in J.J. Arrington, Correll Buckhalter and Jordan in the offseason to compete with holdovers Peyton Hillis and Ryan Torain.

Wasn't that enough?

"I've been in this business enough to know that's something you have to do," Jordan said. "Look at our backfield. Every back that we have here - with the exception of our rookies - is coming off some type of injury from last year. Of course it makes sense to go out and get a running back ... I thought he was the best running back in the draft anyway."

A crowded backfield, though, means fewer carries for everyone.

"I don't concern myself with that," Jordan said. "One thing about this offense is that one week we might beat you throwing the ball 50 or 60 times, the next week we might beat you running the ball 40 or 50 times. There's plenty to go around, especially in this offense."

Especially once it's fully digested.

Moreno has a few months to absorb the complicated schemes.

"You can't make the mistakes over and over again," Moreno said. "Once (McDaniels) teaches you what to do, you've got to make the right call after that. ... It's tough, but that's the challenge you look for."

rcsodak
05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Nice find, carol.

frauschieze
05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
But why draft another tailback? After all, the team brought in J.J. Arrington, Correll Buckhalter and Jordan in the offseason to compete with holdovers Peyton Hillis and Ryan Torain.

Wasn't that enough?

ARGH! I am SO sick of hearing this. When we signed Arrington, Buckhalter and Jordan, we still had Cutler. Why is it so hard to see that Cutler's absence changed the needs of the offense? Moreno (hopefully) gives Orton (or Simms) someone to take the pressure off.

Lonestar
05-05-2009, 03:19 AM
ARGH! I am SO sick of hearing this. When we signed Arrington, Buckhalter and Jordan, we still had Cutler. Why is it so hard to see that Cutler's absence changed the needs of the offense? Moreno (hopefully) gives Orton (or Simms) someone to take the pressure off.

And they might have said WTF he is still on the board he is to good to pass on.

Just might have been that simple. With no other hidden agendas.

Elevation inc
05-05-2009, 03:28 AM

its simple. Selvin young, andre hall, Michael Pittman, Cory Boyd, and tatum bell were waiver wire backs that had no buisness starting for long periods.

Buckhalter, Jordan, Arrington were Back-up RB's that were brought in to be back-ups again and compete for playing time, the most obvious reason we brought them in is to quell the dropoff in production and talent between backs 1-5. they are back-ups that upgraded the back-ups we had. I have no doubt moreno was a target the entire time since MCD took over.

the media speculated buckhalter and jordan would compete for playing time as the starter, but no one in the denver FO said they were brought in to do anything other than compete.

thats what back-ups do. Personally im stoked we have moreno and if he goes down i dont have to cry when Andre hall gets the call becasue he isnt here anymore. A proven runner like buckhalter or jordan is. thats a upgrade and it made this team better, i dont see a problem there:salute:

Also keep in mind hillis is coming of a serious hamstring tear, so insurance was a need, and torain has yet to prove he can stay helathy so again insurnace was needed.

our run game is going to be nasty next year. :salute:

Dirk
05-05-2009, 05:14 AM
I think there is probably a little truth to all of the speculation...

1. Cutler gone....need someone to keep the fans happy and sell jerseys.
2. Cutler gone....need an offensive player to help in his absence.
3. No feature back on the team and needed one.
4. Injuries plagued the backfield so get a stud RB.

Whatever the case may be, I love the pick as well especially with Jackson and Raji off the boards already.

Nomad
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Whatever the case may be, I love the pick as well especially with Jackson and Raji off the boards already.

Maybe the BRONCOS are trying the SD route....before LT, they were a dull team with no excitement then he was drafted and he's the spark of the team(or was the spark).

Keep an eye on T.Cody or G. McCoy for next year, good thing they play OU and ALA alot on national tv!!

rcsodak
05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Maybe the BRONCOS are trying the SD route....before LT, they were a dull team with no excitement then he was drafted and he's the spark of the team(or was the spark).

Keep an eye on T.Cody or G. McCoy for next year, good thing they play OU and ALA alot on national tv!!

McD will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get McCoy....

...he'll be gone WAY early.

But his buddy may be around later or in the 2nd.

silkamilkamonico
05-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Wasn't that enough?

"I've been in this business enough to know that's something you have to do," Jordan said. "Look at our backfield. Every back that we have here - with the exception of our rookies - is coming off some type of injury from last year. Of course it makes sense to go out and get a running back ... I thought he was the best running back in the draft anyway."

That's why.

At least now we can move on from the "why" aspect of that question, and I couldn't agree more with Jordan.

Lonestar
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM

very good post.. The fact is we have not had a REAL stud buffalo since poorti$$$ left.. we have had a bunch of pretenders with the most recent now selling Iphones in Aurora AGAIN..

Since the biggie DL guys were gone and he fell into our laps and this keeps him out of SAN. I applaud the move on draft day..

I do not think he will be used as a every down RB and we will become a run first type offense like under mike but as a pass first, respect the run because if you do not we will burn you with it.

Typically the NE running game had 2-3 RB's that accounted for 850/750/350 yards and the third RB Faulk being the #4 or 5 receiver in terms of Numbers of receptions...

I see the Faulk guy being Hillis on our squad....

I see a very good Offense coming together.. By the bye week it could be REALLY scary barring injuries..

TXBRONC
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
With as high in the first round as Moreno was taken in the first round I wouldn't doubt if gets more the load than what they do in New England.

Lonestar
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
With as high in the first round as Moreno was taken in the first round I wouldn't doubt if gets more the load than what they do in New England.

I'd guess that it will be him and perhaps Hillis with another Rb to spell him when he hits the rookie wall.. or to keep him from hitting it..

I still think we will not be the run first* team that we have been used to prior to 2008..

I see us being pass first in a very controlled passing game hitting open receivers as dictated by what the defense allows us to do.. One of the primary reason for having a smart QB to be able to read the defense.. We will use the short pass to control the ball TOP..

*a run mix of about 50/50 and running to establish the pass or late in the game for ball control..

G_Money
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Potentially.

But an offense that can't or won't throw it down the field deals with 8 men in the box A LOT. Ask the Bears of the last couple of years. That will hamper both the running game and the short passing game. Ideally you'd like to have a deep ball threat to spread the field for you when you go with a short-passing game.

Depending on how Marshall's hip recovers, our only deep threat to start the year may be Royal. Orton can throw a ball deep, but not accurately, and last year we used Royal on shorter routes for the most part. McDaniels may change that, but I expect to see a lot of stacked fronts and DL taking two steps and a jump to try to bat balls, since until Kyle proves his accuracy issues are markedly better he's gonna be given that deep option over others..

Orton's gonna have to at least master the deep slant for us to keep teams from piling up to stop Moreno and our running game and daring us to pass. It's what they did to the Bears, and I expect it to be what they do to us. We have a better receiving corps...but with Scheff likely not a part, and Marshall of indeterminate health, we've got Royal, Stokley and Gaffney. Better...but not stellar. Orton's gonna have to find them or we're gonna have a lot of 30-40 yard drives ending just outside field goal range.

I agree with you in that Orton is gonna set the offensive tone. If he can cut people up with short passing it will let us do a bunch of other things. If he can't, defenses are just gonna sit on us with 8 and 9 in the box, and zone-blitz us to death.

Hopefully we can work the kinks out in the first couple of games against less-than-adequate competition while still winning those games.

~G

Dreadnought
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Potentially.

But an offense that can't or won't throw it down the field deals with 8 men in the box A LOT. Ask the Bears of the last couple of years. That will hamper both the running game and the short passing game. Ideally you'd like to have a deep ball threat to spread the field for you when you go with a short-passing game.

Depending on how Marshall's hip recovers, our only deep threat to start the year may be Royal. Orton can throw a ball deep, but not accurately, and last year we used Royal on shorter routes for the most part. McDaniels may change that, but I expect to see a lot of stacked fronts and DL taking two steps and a jump to try to bat balls, since until Kyle proves his accuracy issues are markedly better he's gonna be given that deep option over others..

Orton's gonna have to at least master the deep slant for us to keep teams from piling up to stop Moreno and our running game and daring us to pass. It's what they did to the Bears, and I expect it to be what they do to us. We have a better receiving corps...but with Scheff likely not a part, and Marshall of indeterminate health, we've got Royal, Stokley and Gaffney. Better...but not stellar. Orton's gonna have to find them or we're gonna have a lot of 30-40 yard drives ending just outside field goal range.

I agree with you in that Orton is gonna set the offensive tone. If he can cut people up with short passing it will let us do a bunch of other things. If he can't, defenses are just gonna sit on us with 8 and 9 in the box, and zone-blitz us to death.

Hopefully we can work the kinks out in the first couple of games against less-than-adequate competition while still winning those games.

~G

I differ only in that I think Scheff was/is a unique deep threat. That 16+ YPC average of his is the kind of thing we haven't seen from any NFL Tight End in literally decades. Now...do we keep him? Figure out how to use Use him? Those are open issues. It shouldn't be hard, but lately we make easy things pretty hard.

nevcraw
05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
very good post.. The fact is we have not had a REAL stud buffalo since poorti$$$ left.. we have had a bunch of pretenders with the most recent now selling Iphones in Aurora AGAIN..

Since the biggie DL guys were gone and he fell into our laps and this keeps him out of SAN. I applaud the move on draft day..

I do not think he will be used as a every down RB and we will become a run first type offense like under mike but as a pass first, respect the run because if you do not we will burn you with it.

Typically the NE running game had 2-3 RB's that accounted for 850/750/350 yards and the third RB Faulk being the #4 or 5 receiver in terms of Numbers of receptions...

I see the Faulk guy being Hillis on our squad....

I see a very good Offense coming together.. By the bye week it could be REALLY scary barring injuries..

Hopeffully, they exploit this guy's all around playmaking ability.. and I sure don't mean at H back..

LTC Pain
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
What are the chances that Buckhalter, Arrington or Jordan would get waived by the Broncos after training camp or during the pre-season? I don't know how many RBs the Broncos will keep on the active roster. Moreno will be the feature back and Hillis and Torrain (when healthy) are keepers. Just not sure what McD is thinking.

Lonestar
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Think hillis will be all over the field he is an agile 249 pound RB/H back/reciever that is a real load to bring down.

Dreadnought
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
What are the chances that Buckhalter, Arrington or Jordan would get waived by the Broncos after training camp or during the pre-season? I don't know how many RBs the Broncos will keep on the active roster. Moreno will be the feature back and Hillis and Torrain (when healthy) are keepers. Just not sure what McD is thinking.

I would definitely advise Arrington, and probably Buckhalter and Jordan, to rent month to month rather than buying..

G_Money
05-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Arrington was brought in partly as a RB, partly to save wear and tear on Royal by sharing the load. As long as he can do some decent return and ST work I expect him to stay.

Jordan already knows the system, and is a different sort of back than Moreno - a Bruiser who can also free Hillis up to move around (if that's really what McDaniels wants to do with him).

Buckhalter looks to be in trouble to me, but training camp injuries come up every year. We'll see what he can do, but offloading him to another team that loses a RB in training camp/preseason in exchange for a late-rounder is definitely a viable option.

And Scheffler...we'll see if he's still here when the season starts. I think he's a great mismatch if he can stay healthy, but if McDaniels doesn't use TEs that way then all the mismatch capabilities won't do him any good.

~G

Elevation inc
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
I would definitely advise Arrington, and probably Buckhalter and Jordan, to rent month to month rather than buying..

actually i would avise torain, he was a shanny guy and its clear MCd isnt fond of shannys guys outside of the O-line......

TXBRONC
05-07-2009, 10:01 AM

I don't see how Torain has proven to be a keeper, he may very well if he can stay healthy but with two may injuries in one season that only allowed him one half a game late in the season I don't think that's enough go on. Now with Moreno in the backfield I could see Arrington and Torain as being on the bubble at this point.

underrated29
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't see how Torain has proven to be a keeper, he may very well if he can stay healthy but with two may injuries in one season that only allowed him one half a game late in the season I don't think that's enough go on. Now with Moreno in the backfield I could see Arrington and Torain as being on the bubble at this point.

IMO its bucky and torain.

I have this feeling that arrington is going to do really well for us. He has always reminded me of a kevin faulk anyhow, only i think he does some things better.

Still i see the depth chart as

moreno
jordan
arrington
torain/bucky/young
torian/bucky/young
the 6th place goes to houston.

LTC Pain
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
IMO its bucky and torain.

I have this feeling that arrington is going to do really well for us. He has always reminded me of a kevin faulk anyhow, only i think he does some things better.

Still i see the depth chart as

moreno
jordan
arrington
torain/bucky/young
torian/bucky/young
the 6th place goes to houston.

No Hillis?

underrated29
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
nope hillis is a FB.

He will get his reps at RB for sure, and also split out wide in passing. But i dont see him being used primarily as a rb for us. Thats why i did not list him.

If the staff did use him primarily as a rb then i would say it goes like this

know
hillis
arrington
jordan
torian/young
torain/young

Bucky gets bucked.

lex
05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
For Moreno, it was an eye-opening minicamp. He came away with the realization that he needs to bury himself in the books.

"You've got to really study, you've got to be in the playbook at night when you get home, even though it's late," said Moreno, who was taken with the 12th pick in last weekend's draft. "It's tough."

I wasnt the biggest advocate of Moreno and Im still skeptical but he deserves credit for this. Actually, to his credit, a lot of people, in life, try to identify the answer without knowing the problem. Moreno really has a good head on his shoulders it seems. I knew he was a solid guy but I find this impressive. Its good that he recognizes this now. Yeah, it may seem obvious, but Im guessing a lot of rookies shuffle around and especially rookies who were first round picks.

BroncoAV06
05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Arrington was brought in partly as a RB, partly to save wear and tear on Royal by sharing the load. As long as he can do some decent return and ST work I expect him to stay.

Jordan already knows the system, and is a different sort of back than Moreno - a Bruiser who can also free Hillis up to move around (if that's really what McDaniels wants to do with him).

Buckhalter looks to be in trouble to me, but training camp injuries come up every year. We'll see what he can do, but offloading him to another team that loses a RB in training camp/preseason in exchange for a late-rounder is definitely a viable option.

And Scheffler...we'll see if he's still here when the season starts. I think he's a great mismatch if he can stay healthy, but if McDaniels doesn't use TEs that way then all the mismatch capabilities won't do him any good.

~G

Good stuff.

I really would like to see Scheff stay. I understand that coaches have their systems and guys they like but how come McD and his great offensive mind can't find a fit for a TE that when "healthy" does provide an interesting look for other defenses. Adpat a little instead of being so stead fast in guys that fit. But only time will tell what McD has in store and once traning camp comes and we see who gets the axe then we will have an idea of what direction the offense will take.

rcsodak
05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Potentially.

~G
Where's a gun....... :coffee:

Lonestar
05-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Good stuff.

I really would like to see Scheff stay. I understand that coaches have their systems and guys they like but how come McD and his great offensive mind can't find a fit for a TE that when "healthy" does provide an interesting look for other defenses. Adpat a little instead of being so stead fast in guys that fit. But only time will tell what McD has in store and once traning camp comes and we see who gets the axe then we will have an idea of what direction the offense will take.

Perhaps he will and maybe he will figure out that Scheffler while being a damned fine TE is not good enough to block consistently as well as hurt enough he is not worth changing the O for.. Perhaps he will be able to get something in trade for him, or Know that he will be gone as a FA next year..

Lots of IFs there and only time will tell.. If the guy was a Sharpe type that would be perhaps a different story..

rcsodak
05-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I think Sheff will be used alot in preseason, to showcase his skills.

McD won't just give him away. If he doesn't get what he feels is worthy, I think Sheff'll be a bronco.

Lonestar
05-09-2009, 01:11 PM
worse case he is another WR..

rcsodak
05-09-2009, 01:21 PM
worse case he is another WR..

No kidding....

...couldn't be any worse than shanny's wr-to-te hanger-on...... :tsk:

Lonestar
05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
No kidding....

...couldn't be any worse than shanny's wr-to-te hanger-on...... :tsk:

you mean sharpe?

rcsodak
05-10-2009, 01:11 AM
you mean sharpe?

Nate

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Nate was an effing loser.

nevcraw
05-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Nate was an effing loser.

LOL.. The guy plays in the National Football League after a very good career at the Univ. of Miami.

What do you do tough guy?

xzn
05-10-2009, 09:13 AM
LOL.. The guy plays in the National Football League after a very good career at the Univ. of Miami.

What do you do tough guy?

I'm pretty sure that the 'effing loser" being discussed is Nate Jackson, not the helmetless wonder Nate Webster...:coffee:

nevcraw
05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that the 'effing loser" being discussed is Nate Jackson, not the helmetless wonder Nate Webster...:coffee:

Got it.. but..

I would not be calling Nate jackson a loser either.. It is funny to me how anybody who works there way to the NFL can be conisdered a loser. Especially from a little known D3 school like Menlo. Bill Walsh did not consider him a loser.

The "loser" term has been thrown out quite a bit recently and IMO makes the the ones saying seem pretty ignorant.