PDA

View Full Version : Broncos O-line tackling new scheme

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Players say communication key with change (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/may/03/broncos-o-line-tackling-new-scheme/)
Associated Press
Sunday, May 3, 2009

ENGLEWOOD -- In an offseason of big changes, the Denver Broncos offensive line has been an element of continuity. That doesn't mean the unit, which returned all five starters, won't be learning on the job under new coach Josh McDaniels.

A new offensive scheme has been in the works since shortly after McDaniels, formerly the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator, was brought in to succeed the fired Mike Shanahan.

"It's different definitely," right tackle Ryan Harris said after a minicamp practice Saturday. "There's similar concepts. The biggest thing for us is the communication. That's what we're working on right now, kind of figuring out where to be and how to communicate that to one another at a fast pace to make sure we're on the same page as an offense."

The team's line -- Harris, left tackle Ryan Clady, guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper, and center Casey Wiegmann -- was at the center of a Broncos offense that produced the second-highest yardage total in team history (6,333) while ranking second in the NFL with a 395.8 yard average per game.

But the departure of quarterback Jay Cutler in a trade to Chicago will mean a new triggerman for the Broncos: Chris Simms and Kyle Orton are competing for the job. Top draft pick and running back Knowshon Moreno also figures to give the backfield a new look on top of the schematic differences envisioned by McDaniels.

Harris said he senses the changes could produce significant benefits, for individual players as well as for the team.

"All of us see this as a great opportunity to learn a new set of skills, and any time in this league when you can learn multiple skill sets, that only furthers your value as a player and your versatility," Harris said. "There's lot of figuring out what to do and once we do that, I think as an offense, we'll be very, very good."

Harris said the bond formed among the line last season should help in the transition to McDaniels' system. Another key, Harris said, was the decision of Wiegmann, the team's center, to put off retirement in favor of returning to play his 14th season.

"Casey is kind of our field general out there," Harris said. "He kind of knows how to communicate to each of us and also, we know our trust level with everybody. We trust each other tremendously, and we're working hard to make sure we can be a stable unit."

The familiarity between the linemen and their ability to work in concert with one another already has made an impression on rookie offensive lineman Blake Schlueter, the Broncos' seventh-round draft pick.

"Their communication is amazing," he said. "You can tell they've been together for a while."

The team's three-day minicamp concludes today.

elsid13
05-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Kuper's Dad who post on the mane, did state that all the players and most of the coaches are "struggling" with the new scheme. Kuper actually said that only one (beside McDaniels) that gets it is Dennison.

Nomad
05-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I have the confidence these guys are smart enough to comprehend the new system and will do fine.

Lonestar
05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Kuper's Dad who post on the mane, did state that all the players and most of the coaches are "struggling" with the new scheme. Kuper actually said that only one (beside McDaniels) that gets it is Dennison.

How many other coaches are their that deal with the oline, other than dennison.

I'm giessing that everything will come together pretty quickly as thid group has worked together last year. Not like they are all newbies.

Superchop 7
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Dennison is going to be head coach in a couple of years.

His background is offense "and" defense.

Great balance for a head coach.

SM19
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I would rather not have our O-line tackling anything. That's holding.

elsid13
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
How many other coaches are their that deal with the oline, other than dennison.

I'm giessing that everything will come together pretty quickly as thid group has worked together last year. Not like they are all newbies.

All the unit works together because it all starts with o-line. Turner and his backs, the TE coach and his players and Dennison and o-line all need to be on same page. Will they get it yes, but there will be breakdowns as everyone learns the new language and goals of system. Very simple it like everyone was speaking English last season and now they are speaking Russian.

elsid13
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Dennison is going to be head coach in a couple of years.

His background is offense "and" defense.

Great balance for a head coach.

According Kuper's Dad, he is extremely smart (he's in Mensa), very very competent, a great teacher and well like by the players. Some days I wonder if Bowlen should have hired him.

Nomad
05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
According Kuper's Dad, he is extremely smart (he's in Mensa), very very competent, a great teacher and well like by the players. Some days I wonder if Bowlen should have hired him.

You should invite Kuper's dad to come here as well as the Mane. It's good to hear from the dad's. Chris Myers dad was at BM when Myers played for the BRONCOS and enjoyed hearing his feedback!!

Dean
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
You should invite Kuper's dad to come here as well as the Mane. It's good to hear from the dad's. Chris Myers dad was at BM when Myers played for the BRONCOS and enjoyed hearing his feedback!!

More important than having him to talk about the Broncos. Get him to come here and talk about his fishing. He e-mailed some picture of some catches I would die for.:D

Fan in Exile
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
It's the second mini-camp so if it's an NFL level scheme I would expect to hear that they are struggling with it. I'm really excited to see if it pays off for us. :)

BroncoAV06
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Should be interesting indeed. Line had a heck of a year last year but did have a decently mobile QB as well.

Sacks are sure to go up this year with Orton and the new scheme but can't ask for much more from the o-line then what Denver has!

nj10
05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I would rather not have our O-line tackling anything. That's holding.

After last season I'd just be happy to see anyone tackling...

Lonestar
05-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Should be interesting indeed. Line had a heck of a year last year but did have a decently mobile QB as well.

Sacks are sure to go up this year with Orton and the new scheme but can't ask for much more from the o-line then what Denver has!

I would think that the sack level should be consistent considering we will have more confidence in the running game this year than we did last year.. which in turn will keep the defense honest..