PDA

View Full Version : AFC West Draft Grades (2009)

atwater27
05-02-2009, 11:04 AM
AFC West Draft Review

Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2009, 10:16 p.m. EDT

Denver Broncos: We don’t have much more to add than what we wrote for SportingNews.com earlier this week, and at PFTV. Unless the Broncos plan to convert Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington, and/or LaMont Jordan to linebackers, the decision to take Knowshon Moreno with the No. 12 overall pick makes little sense for a team that should be worrying more about acquiring personnel for its shift to a 3-4 defense.

Likewise, the decision to cough up a 2010 first-round pick for a 2009 second-rounder will serve only to fuel criticism of the new regime if/when the team struggles this year.

The most intriguing pick by the head coach who came from New England? A sixth-round quarterback named Tom Bra . . . ndstater.

Kansas City Chiefs: G.M. Scott Pioli would have blown apart the draft trade chart if the Lions had agreed to give up only the 20th overall pick and the 33rd overall pick, which are worth 770 points less than the third overall selection. Instead, the Chiefs reluctantly took defensive end Tyson Jackson at No. 3, and will now pay him a contract that rivals if not bests the contracts given to pass-rushing defensive ends like Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney.

Kansas City’s second-round pick netted Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel, two guys who — unlike every player picked in this or any draft — already have proven that they can play at the pro level.

Oakland Raiders: If nothing was learned from the Troy Williamson experiment, it’s that a guy with supposedly dominant skills who didn’t dominate at the college level probably won’t dominate at the highest reaches of the game. Though it’s not impossible, the chances don’t seem to merit top-ten status in the draft. And so the Raiders’ predictable decision to go for the fastest wideout on the board hardly is a surprise.

We’re less critical than others have been regarding the decision to take Ohio safety Mike Mitchell with the 47th overall pick; the evidence was there to suggest that multiple teams regarded him as something more than a late-round prospect.

San Diego Chargers: The arrival of linebacker Larry English means that either Shawne Merriman or Jyles Tucker will be gone before too long. Our guess? The plug will be pulled on the man who derives external motivation from simulating the act of flipping a light switch on and off again.

Though some though the Chargers might go with a running back in round one, Gartrell Johnson could turn out to be a keeper at pick No. 134; after all, the Chargers found Darren Sproles only four spots earlier, four years earlier.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/afc-west-draft-review/

atwater27
05-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Seems to be the general consensus from all the draftniks. WTF is Denver doing?

JKcatch724
05-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Building a team.

atwater27
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Building a team.

Nice. (As far as offense is concerned) they are wrecking Trump Tower to build a different skyscraper on the site. And on defense, they are wrecking the trailer park to build a "manufactured home" park. Now that's what I call rebuilding!

JKcatch724
05-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Nice. (As far as offense is concerned) they are wrecking Trump Tower to build a different skyscraper on the site. And on defense, they are wrecking the trailer park to build a "manufactured home" park. Now that's what I call rebuilding!

The offense is fine. Actually, in terms of scoring, I'm willing to bet they put up more points than last year (and that's really what counts, right?). Orton's not gonna toss around the same amount of yards like Cutler but we'll be more consistent.

As far as rebuilding... Aside from Cutler, EVERY position on the roster has been improved, along with the defensive coaches. Seeing as how Orton is grabbing the keys to a Ferarri, I have no reason to believe this isn't a MUCH much much better TEAM from last year.

But hey.... if the "sky is falling" outlook is your thing, go for it.

atwater27
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
The offense is fine. Actually, in terms of scoring, I'm willing to bet they put up more points than last year (and that's really what counts, right?). Orton's not gonna toss around the same amount of yards like Cutler but we'll be more consistent.

As far as rebuilding... Aside from Cutler, EVERY position on the roster has been improved, along with the defensive coaches.:eek:HUH? What about our biggest need, defensive tackle? How has that been improved? And a 1st round draft choice at DE doesn't necessarily mean improvement at that position, does it? How about linebacker? We got rid of a few bad guys and picked up a few average guys, but have we seen them play yet? Same at corner and safety. SO have we really "improved the team at every position?" Seeing as how Orton is grabbing the keys to a Ferarri, Ferrari? Can we stick with a Honda or something until we actually test drive it?I have no reason to believe this isn't a MUCH much much better TEAM from last year.

red

JKcatch724
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
red

DT: Fields (I hadn't heard of him before we signed him, but the coaches obviously think he can do the job, especially because Nolan grabbed him from SF where he's seen him)

LB: We haven't improved? I thought Nate Webster was a LB last year? We have DJ and Andra Davis at middle and 3 or 4 guys competing for the OLB spots. Should be fine.

DE: Well, I'm assuming Ayers will turn out to be a good player, or at least average.

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
DT: Fields (I hadn't heard of him before we signed him, but the coaches obviously think he can do the job, especially because Nolan grabbed him from SF where he's seen him)

LB: We haven't improved? I thought Nate Webster was a LB last year? We have DJ and Andra Davis at middle and 3 or 4 guys competing for the OLB spots. Should be fine.

DE: Well, I'm assuming Ayers will turn out to be a good player, or at least average.

I see improvement in all the areas over last year if in no other area a vast improvement in coaching..

We got rid a of a bunch of skells on defense, some that were not players and some players that were being drastically over paid..

I suspect Boss would be gone also if his salary cap issue not been more to get rid of him than keep him..

We NOW have coaches, we NOW have a coherent scheme.. should be better because of subtraction..

shank
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM

not really. our grades are all over the map, just like all the other teams.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38280&highlight=broncos+draft

hitting one out of four will keep you in the majors, and even then i guarantee that these "experts" are glad that no one is keeping track of how many times they strike out.

BroncoWave
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM

You're right, since the draftniks say we had a bad draft all the players are obviously going to suck. We should just forfeit the season.

T.K.O.
05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
its obvious that mcd saw a need to get people that could play HIS scheme.
its not like he can install a whole new system and expect every player from last year to be " the right guy" so he had to make changes on offens.
besides i dont think a team that was 16th in scoring quite qualifies as "a ferrari "
we had 2 defense heavy drafts in recent years and have some fairly un-tested guys already.he must have seen something in crowder larsen maybe moss etc..
besides our d has been learning a new system every year maybe...just maybe the players we have are not as bad as people think.maybe they just need a couple years in one system to get it !
and mcd knows he has to produce NOW ! thats why we drafted moreno !

Superchop 7
05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Just wait till the season is over.

We had a 75% winner with Plummer.

We blew that up, and had a 50% winner.

We blew that up and will have a 30% winner.

The lesson here is to "build" on what you have thats working and "fix" what is not working.

Common sense says our front 7 needed an overhaul, especially when switching to a 3-4.

Fields and Davis are far from the answer.

Ayers will need seasoning.

We had $$, we had draft picks, we had everything we needed to get better quickly.

Would you rather have 3 rbs in free agency or stud defensive linemen.

Common sense says you get the defensive linemen.

People that say Josh has a plan......

What plan ?

Ignore it and it will go away plan ?

The only plan it really is.......is a plan for failure.

UnderArmour
05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Just wait till the season is over.

We had a 75% winner with Plummer.

We blew that up, and had a 50% winner.

We blew that up and will have a 30% winner.

The lesson here is to "build" on what you have thats working and "fix" what is not working.

Common sense says our front 7 needed an overhaul, especially when switching to a 3-4.

Fields and Davis are far from the answer.

Ayers will need seasoning.

We had $$, we had draft picks, we had everything we needed to get better quickly.

Would you rather have 3 rbs in free agency or stud defensive linemen.

Common sense says you get the defensive linemen.

People that say Josh has a plan......

What plan ?

Ignore it and it will go away plan ?

The only plan it really is.......is a plan for failure.

Try again. That was never an option. The RBs we picked up were dirt cheap and we can cut them with little consequence. The only (worthwhile) DL we could have picked up were Canty and Olshansky, both of which our front office didn't feel warranted the money for their talents. And who knows? They could be wrong and Canty and Olshansky could be All Pros for the next 5 seasons, but I find that to be highly unlikely. And Nose Tackles on the market? lol. Fields was one of the better options out there. What you should be more peeved about is last offseason Rogers and Jenkins could have been had under the Shanahan regime for low round picks, we opted to get Dewayne Robertson instead.

dogfish
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
The only (worthwhile) DL we could have picked up were Canty and Olshansky, both of which our front office didn't feel warranted the money for their talents.

IMO, this begs the question, "are you confident that our FO is a better judge of D-line talent than the FO in new york?" the G-men felt that canty was worth the big bucks, even with all the talent they already have on the DL. . . . of course, the championship they just won on the back of that unit gives them very good reason to believe in the value of investing heavily there. . .

What you should be more peeved about is last offseason Rogers and Jenkins could have been had under the Shanahan regime for low round picks, we opted to get Dewayne Robertson instead.

absolutely true. . . i was pissed at the time, and i'm even more pissed now that we're transitioning to a 3-4, and the 3rd round pick that would have been the basis for a trade to acquire a dominant nosetackle was instead packaged to trade up for a blocking tight end. . . .

:frusty:

oh well, i suppose it doesn't get us anywhere bitching about it now. . . .

T.K.O.
05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
hybrid:defense:

horsepig
05-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Sheesh , Dog, you ever rolled the dice? Was Hayneseworth the no. 1 pick? The more important thing is to identify those guys like Woodyard, Larsen & Hillis in camp.

horsepig
05-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I still can't believe that nobody on this board listens to Joe Collier. Collier built the "Orange Crush" out of TJ, Billy Thomp[son, Louie Wright, Randy Gradishar, and a host of other studs.

I might have to rethink ythis. We did go tro a SBowl with Greg Kragen at nose tackle.

TJ came out of nowhere, Louiville in 1970. Bob Swenson? Joe Rizzo? Rulon Jones, Lyle Alzado, etc...

Great defenses are built by finding those killer guys. Mean Joe Green, Randy Graqdishar, Jack Ham, Lester "the molester", Mike Singletary, Albert Haynesworth; these players were after thoughts in the draft.

I might be w4ong on a couple, but Louie Wright was the the best cover corner ever, including Champ. Louie couldn,t catch a beachball.

nevcraw
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I still can't believe that nobody on this board listens to Joe Collier. Collier built the "Orange Crush" out of TJ, Billy Thomp[son, Louie Wright, Randy Gradishar, and a host of other studs.

I might have to rethink ythis. We did go tro a SBowl with Greg Kragen at nose tackle.

TJ came out of nowhere, Louiville in 1970. Bob Swenson? Joe Rizzo? Rulon Jones, Lyle Alzado, etc...

Great defenses are built by finding those killer guys. Mean Joe Green, Randy Graqdishar, Jack Ham, Lester "the molester", Mike Singletary, Albert Haynesworth; these players were after thoughts in the draft.

I might be w4ong on a couple, but Louie Wright was the the best cover corner ever, including Champ. Louie couldn,t catch a beachball.

1. MjG - 4th pick in the draft
2. RG - pick 14
3. JH - 34th pick
4. Lh - pick 126th
5. MS - 38th pick
6. AH - pick 15

3 1st rounders, 2 seconds and a 5th.. - hardly after thoughts...

nevcraw
05-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I see improvement in all the areas over last year if in no other area a vast improvement in coaching..

We got rid a of a bunch of skells on defense, some that were not players and some players that were being drastically over paid..

I suspect Boss would be gone also if his salary cap issue not been more to get rid of him than keep him..

We NOW have coaches, we NOW have a coherent scheme.. should be better because of subtraction..

Based on what? someone's job as an OC? Hardly applicable in this larger stage.. Billick was a wiz OC too.. couldn't score in Baltimore..
It's only a hope that Nolan is a better DC than what we've had here since Robinson.. Shanny is thought of by all that matter as one of the best coaches in game. Newbies at this point have a ways to go..

Lonestar
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Based on what? someone's job as an OC? Hardly applicable in this larger stage.. Billick was a wiz OC too.. couldn't score in Baltimore..
It's only a hope that Nolan is a better DC than what we've had here since Robinson.. Shanny is thought of by all that matter as one of the best coaches in game. Newbies at this point have a ways to go..

sure they do but since mike stepped into a pretty good spot he was s newbie also.. and came in with a couple of HOF players already on the squad.. ZIM, John , Sharpe.. One could argue that Rod was here also he brought in a new DC Robinson and promoted Gary to bring him here..

The core was here and it took him a couple of years to make noise..

Hey I can dig it if you still want mike to be here..

But I'll take my chances with the new HC.. Who if you listen to him seems to know what he wants.. If you listen to his players they get it about what he expects.. there is a new sheriff in town..:salute:

Broncolingus
05-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I think we should do this in Decemeber...

Elevation inc
05-03-2009, 07:14 AM
red

so drafting 3 average DE's and 3 DT's that may not even beat out the current players we have is the way to go. Whats the motto there draft in quantity and pray one sticks.....we tried that with shanny for the last 5 years how that work.....when you find him in mexico let me know;)

oh wait thats right the anlysts thought there were some better DL guys out there they must be geniuses sign em up for a GM slot right now.....:rolleyes:. did it ever occur to you that maybe this DL class just sucked after the first rd......and thats why we didnt adress it more.....:confused:

i know you think the sky is falling but seriously, has a game even been played yet??? i mean as far as i know MCD is 0-0 as a HC on the field.....

rcsodak
05-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Mecklenberg - 12th rounder

Dean
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
so drafting 3 average DE's and 3 DT's that may not even beat out the current players we have is the way to go. Whats the motto there draft in quantity and pray one sticks.....we tried that with shanny for the last 5 years how that work.....when you find him in mexico let me know;)

oh wait thats right the anlysts thought there were some better DL guys out there they must be geniuses sign em up for a GM slot right now.....:rolleyes:. did it ever occur to you that maybe this DL class just sucked after the first rd......and thats why we didnt adress it more.....:confused:

i know you think the sky is falling but seriously, has a game even been played yet??? i mean as far as i know MCD is 0-0 as a HC on the field.....

You lose credibility about waiting for evidence when you have a mock draft for 2010 in your signature. :questionmark:

Cugel
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM

As far as rebuilding... Aside from Cutler, EVERY position on the roster has been improved, along with the defensive coaches. Seeing as how Orton is grabbing the keys to a Ferarri, I have no reason to believe this isn't a MUCH much much better TEAM from last year.

But hey.... if the "sky is falling" outlook is your thing, go for it.

Last year the only thing keeping this team from being a 4-12 team was Jay Cutler. Now he's gone and is replaced by a QB whose owner said "we need to get the QB position straightened out. People can talk about WRs but if you don't have the QB you don't win."

And then they traded him. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. :coffee:

Switching to a 3-4 defense is fine. After all the defense was so horrible that you might as well choose now to get rid of all the useless chodes and start over.

Problem: They didn't trade for a NT, sign one in FA or draft one. An undrafted FA is probably not going to be your next Haloti Ngata! :coffee:

NT is the key to the 3-4 Defense. If he is mediocre teams will run all day on the Broncos and their LBs will look like crap because OTs will penetrate and block them.

This will lead to big plays. Ex: Remember the Patriots and KC Chiefs games last year where the Broncos "experimented" with the 3-4? Rember what happened? Expect something similar this year.

Ayers is a promising rookie, but a ROOKIE. DL need a couple of seasons to be any use in the NFL. Even elite talented ones like Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata who were both drafted in the top 12 picks, needed at least 2 or 3 years to become good. Lots of people thought Williams was a BUST after his rookie year.

Nobody will mistake Ayers for Mario Williams. :coffee:

The LBs are interesting. Spencer Larson might be a good ILB. Andra Davis is a find. Brian Dawkins is slower than frozen molasses in coverage, but he's still a huge improvement over Manuel and McCree.

But, the OLBs are a huge mystery? Can Dumervil or Moss even play these positions? Will Tim Crowder make the team? Will he contribute? IF Ayers starts at OLB who plays DE? Powell? Kenny Peterson? Can they do the job holding the line or will they be routinely pushed straight back into the secondary?

The secondary must be improved somewhat, if only because Jack Williams will be in his 2nd year and Karl Paymah will probably be cut. Any rookie contributions will only help.

We really have no idea if the defense will be improved or not. It's difficult to see how it could be worse, but things can ALWAYS get worse. Always. Just as it was difficult to think that 2008 would be worse than 2007. Yet it was. :coffee:

MOtorboat
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
4-12, lmao!

Go root for the Bears.

rcsodak
05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Last year the only thing keeping this team from being a 4-12 team was Jay Cutler. Now he's gone and is replaced by a QB whose owner said "we need to get the QB position straightened out. People can talk about WRs but if you don't have the QB you don't win."

Funny....
....that same owner, when questioned about cut-n-run'er....stated he was NOT a "franchise qb" until it was proven so.
Yep...gotsta love those ringing endorsements.... :coffee:

Switching to a 3-4 defense is fine. After all the defense was so horrible that you might as well choose now to get rid of all the useless chodes and start over.

Problem: They didn't trade for a NT, sign one in FA or draft one. An undrafted FA is probably not going to be your next Haloti Ngata! :coffee:
Funny.....
....but what was Fields? :coffee:

NT is the key to the 3-4 Defense. If he is mediocre teams will run all day on the Broncos and their LBs will look like crap because OTs will penetrate and block them.

This will lead to big plays. Ex: Remember the Patriots and KC Chiefs games last year where the Broncos "experimented" with the 3-4? Rember what happened? Expect something similar this year.

Ayers is a promising rookie, but a ROOKIE. DL need a couple of seasons to be any use in the NFL. Even elite talented ones like Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata who were both drafted in the top 12 picks, needed at least 2 or 3 years to become good. Lots of people thought Williams was a BUST after his rookie year.

Nobody will mistake Ayers for Mario Williams. :coffee:

The LBs are interesting. Spencer Larson might be a good ILB. Andra Davis is a find. Brian Dawkins is slower than frozen molasses in coverage, but he's still a huge improvement over Manuel and McCree.

But, the OLBs are a huge mystery? Can Dumervil or Moss even play these positions? Will Tim Crowder make the team? Will he contribute? IF Ayers starts at OLB who plays DE? Powell? Kenny Peterson? Can they do the job holding the line or will they be routinely pushed straight back into the secondary?

The secondary must be improved somewhat, if only because Jack Williams will be in his 2nd year and Karl Paymah will probably be cut. Any rookie contributions will only help.

We really have no idea if the defense will be improved or not. It's difficult to see how it could be worse, but things can ALWAYS get worse. Always. Just as it was difficult to think that 2008 would be worse than 2007. Yet it was. :coffee:

Continuing on with your usual positive outlook, I see.....

:lol:

Like many others, I'll do the wait n see approach, and see how the team ACTUALLY looks, on the field.

With the upcoming schedule, even if they ARE better than last year, their record might not indicate it.

It'd just be nice to see denver have a better record than da bears.

rcsodak
05-03-2009, 09:56 PM
What strikes me funny, is how people rush to grade drafts picks.

Kiper, back in 2005, graded Minn's draft, with their 2 #1's, as an A+.

5yrs later, there is NOBODY on their team from that draft.

Lonestar
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
What strikes me funny, is how people rush to grade drafts picks.

Kiper, back in 2005, graded Minn's draft, with their 2 #1's, as an A+.

5yrs later, there is NOBODY on their team from that draft.

being from up near there you would no wouldn't you..:D

shank
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
karl paymah is a viking.

Elevation inc
05-04-2009, 01:24 AM
You lose credibility about waiting for evidence when you have a mock draft for 2010 in your signature. :questionmark:

oh im sorry i guess its a crime to just love the draft so much:confused:

problem is i could care less if we pick any of those guys, they are just guys i keep an eye on for next year...i will make sure i change it just so you dont get confused

but hey way to try and get a dig in.......;)

D1g1tal j1m
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM

That really indicative to why Shan was let go. The talent evaluation (especially on D) was horrendous. But don't forget the talent at WR and the Oline in the passing game that kept us form being 4-12. Cutler was good, but he was not the only playmaker on O. He did plenty (especially the last 3 games) to contribute to our disappointing season.

I pray that the Defense improves to at least middle of the pack next year. There is going to be plenty of adjustments to the 3-4 and lots of growing pains. I believe we will run about 60/40 3-4 vs. 4-3 next season, I just hope our acquisitions this off-season pan out.

Lonestar
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
That really indicative to why Shan was let go. The talent evaluation (especially on D) was horrendous. But don't forget the talent at WR and the Oline in the passing game that kept us form being 4-12. Cutler was good, but he was not the only playmaker on O. He did plenty (especially the last 3 games) to contribute to our disappointing season.

I pray that the Defense improves to at least middle of the pack next year. There is going to be plenty of adjustments to the 3-4 and lots of growing pains. I believe we will run about 60/40 3-4 vs. 4-3 next season, I just hope our acquisitions this off-season pan out.

I'd guess that we will see almost 100% 3-4 unless the team we are playing dictates 4-3.. I think we are going to move forward with the 3-4 unless none of the NT can step up and play decently....

atwater27
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Anybody have an updated opinion on our 2009 draft class?

dogfish
03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Anybody have an updated opinion on our 2009 draft class?

either they'll play better in the future, or we'll all say it was a shitty draft?

atwater27
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
either they'll play better in the future, or we'll all say it was a shitty draft?

Oh come on dude. I am serious.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Honestly, I think he was serious. Moreno was okay, but nothing special. Ayers, even though he was used exclusively in passing situations, failed to register even one sack. Alphonso Smith lost his job to a 38 yr old then to a UDFA. Richard Quinn never saw the field except for a few times on STs. Darcel Mcbath seemed decent in spot duty. David Bruton was excellent at STs but nothing more than that (I wouldn't expect more). Seth Olsen didn't play. Tom Brandstater rarely dressed and didn't play. The center we drafted (can't remember his name) was cut.

This that about does it. Overall, very little input from our rookies. I agree with dogfish.

dogfish
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM

huh?

so am i. . .

atwater27
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
huh?

so am i. . .

No I just wanted some specifics, like HP56...

Myself, I really didn't like our draft for 2 reasons... One, the players selected.
2. The wasting of our picks/value with the weird ass trades.

1. Knowshon the player... Grade B (so far)
Knowshawn the draft pick... Grade D.
We could have gotten a running back later on that could have contributed similarly to Knowshawn. Not to mention we didn't even give Hillis a chance. What we needed to do with that pick was address the defense. We had a ton of linebackers and defensive ends available, including the best passrusher, Orakpo. And Malcolm Jenkins (Who was actually WORTH a first round pick would have been very good value, especially over whatshisnutz Alphonso Smith)

2. Robert Ayers the player... Grade C (So far) A first rounder being unable to notch a single sack is disturbing. But I have hope he can develop and thrive.
Robert Ayers the draft pick... Grade A , this was the only selection I was happy with, though I would have been happier with Orakpo at 12 and a linebacker like Clay Matthews, Ray Maualuga or James Laurinitis at 18.

3. Alphonso Smith the player.... Grade F (so far)
Alphonso Smith the draft pick.Grade F. We pretty much traded a first rounder for him. ******* retarded. This will be a huge black eye on Denver for awhile.

McBath and Bruton I am impressed with as value picks, Quinn was a decent pick, I really can't cap on Josh from the Mcbath pick on.

Overall draft grade (One year out, which can obviously change)

C. Not an impressive beginning of a new era.

But that is just one man's opinion, and I am hoping Josh improves on drafting this year.

dogfish
03-18-2010, 09:54 PM
i really don't feel like we've seen enough of any of these guys to grade them fairly, other than maybe moreno-- and even in his case i'd still like to see him try to run behind an effective line without defenses constantly and heavily stacking the box before giving him a grade. . .

i don't necessarily mind the players, but i'm already well on record as not being very happy about the value we gave up trading up half a dozen damn times-- trading up should be done with a scalpel, not a shotgun. . .

tomjonesrocks
03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Other than the 2006 Cutler/Marshall haul, from my memory the Broncos always seem to get steady consensus "C+" to "C-" ratings from all major publications. Yes we're in a new regime--and we'll see what happens when the supposed knowledgeable braintrust of McDaniels/X has a full offseason to prepare--but until proven otherwise this not an organization that's just not very good at the draft.

We failed with the Cutler picks. I'm sorry--this team just blew those picks on stupid shit. Moreno is a totally average RB and a terrible pick at #1 with the needs this team has and spending that draft pick on Smith was idiocy.

Perhaps the organization will pull off an atypical masterful draft but truthfully I'll be pretty shocked if I don't get my usual May issue of Sporting News with a bottom-third-in-the-NFL review of the Broncos draft yet again.

claymore
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
The Smith trade somehow looks dumber today than it did at the time. I hope McD keeps his you know what in his pants this draft.

Nomad
03-19-2010, 09:10 AM
You gotta give these guys time to develop into NFL players and they can't be graded after one year!

broncofaninfla
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
The only two I like to date are McBath and Bruton. I think we have a stud in McBath and Bruton was a solid specail teams player. Wasn't impressed with Moreno, Quinn, or Smith at all, Ayers showed some potential but nothing near what Orakpo has shown at Washington.