PDA

View Full Version : Which was our most let's say "intense" player, Alzado or Romanowski or other?

East Coast Fan
05-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Just a flashback in time for kicks and giggles, but who would you say was the most "intense" (or nuts, etc.) player that we've ever had, Alzado, Romanowski or anyone else? BOTH were jacked up for various reasons and various "stimulants", and it showed on the field. Who would you vote for?

Dirk
05-02-2009, 07:53 AM
My vote would go for either Meck or D.Smith. Did it without the juice.

FanInAZ
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM

You can never praise Alzado or Romo for their intensity when they got it by cheating.

dogfish
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4338/219k.gif (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=219k.gif)

[/Thread]

Requiem / The Dagda
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Emotionally intense? Cry-baby Cutler.

Nature Boy
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Al Wilson was pretty intense in that middle spot. He was smallish but had a lot of heart and the other guys fed off him his energy and spirit.

DenBronx
05-02-2009, 01:20 PM
romo was the most intense player without question. he was a big hitter yet would be in the face of the other team after every play talking trash to them. he really hated the other teams. if you were not wearing orange and blue then you were going to get smacked.

romo always had bad intentions on game day.

FanInAZ
05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
romo was the most intense player without question. he was a big hitter yet would be in the face of the other team after every play talking trash to them. he really hated the other teams. if you were not wearing orange and blue then you were going to get smacked.

Romo cheated

DenBronx
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Romo cheated

:listen: your not bringing any breaking news to the table. we all know he used steriods.

FanInAZ
05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
:listen: your not bringing any breaking news to the table. we all know he used steriods.

So believe in praising known cheaters

East Coast Fan
05-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Very true. I remember reading that you couldn't even talk to Romo in the locker room before the game, he was so focused on getting "psyched up". He sometimes would be a little "dirty" and carry it a little too far with some of his late hits and other antics, and I don't even want to know what he did at the bottom of the pile-ups.

Alzado was usually talking to the other teams also; remember him pointing his finger in Gene Upshaw's face in the AFC Championship game (perhaps you're not that old!). He once ripped a guy's car door off and beat him up because he cut him off, and remember when he was a Raider that scene with him ripping a Jet players helmet off? He also was supposedly very hard to handle in the "Dirty Dozen" doings in 1976.

Yes, BOTH were cranked-up on various things and crazy.

Nomad
05-03-2009, 08:24 AM

True and the same people who criticize him cheered him on and the team wouldn't have been the same without Romo!

I liked Eddy Mac's intensity for a receiver. I know he wasn't the a hard hitting defender like Romo or Atwater but he brought his intensity to every game

tripleoption
05-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Steve Atwater. You don't have to be loud and obnoxious and in the other guy's face all the time to be intense.

Traveler
05-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Strike Romo & Alzado. Their intensity was "chemically" induced. I'd rate Gradishar & Rich Jackson as our most intense players.

Superchop 7
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Gradishar

First and goal on the 1 inch line?

Better warm up the kicker, your probably not gonna get in.

I wish they would release some of his goal line stands on you tube, thing of beauty.

FYI, Tombstone Jackson intimidated Alzado, Alzado called him "sir".

Ravage!!!
05-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Romo was just an intense guy... period. You can't say he got /gets his INTENSITY from the roids. Have you heard recent interviews with the guy? I dn't care if he's talking about the 'need' for better health practices within the sport, he's passionate.

I liked romo... period. I wish we had MORE players on our defense that had HALF the intensity and ATTITUDE of Romanowski. I don't want my MLB to be a 'nice' guy. No one walked off the field talking about how 'nice' Dick Butkus or Jack Lambert were (and please don't try to tell me these guys were taking 'things'.... 'things' have been taken by professional athletes LONG before they were in the league).

xzn
05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
OT: did the Broncos end up hiring Romonowski as a "Health Consultant"?

It was discussed, but did it actually happen?

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Steve Atwater. You don't have to be loud and obnoxious and in the other guy's face all the time to be intense.
See the last play of the Green Bay Super Bowl.........................dude was that intense he knocked himself, a defender or three & the reciever out cold :lol:

Hobe
05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Al Wilson was pretty intense in that middle spot. He was smallish but had a lot of heart and the other guys fed off him his energy and spirit.

I have trouble choosing between Wilson and Atwater. I remember a hit on Heap TE for Baltimore that knocked a TD catch out of his hands and he needed help to get off the field. It was every bit as devastating as Atwater's hit.

I'm of the school that won't choose Romo or Alzado because of the drug use.

topscribe
05-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Romo cheated

And? We're talking about intensity, not integrity.

-----

topscribe
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Romo was just an intense guy... period. You can't say he got /gets his INTENSITY from the roids. Have you heard recent interviews with the guy? I dn't care if he's talking about the 'need' for better health practices within the sport, he's passionate.

I liked romo... period. I wish we had MORE players on our defense that had HALF the intensity and ATTITUDE of Romanowski. I don't want my MLB to be a 'nice' guy. No one walked off the field talking about how 'nice' Dick Butkus or Jack Lambert were (and please don't try to tell me these guys were taking 'things'.... 'things' have been taken by professional athletes LONG before they were in the league).

I remember when the Broncos got Romo. I commented at the time that what
the Broncos' defense needed was mean a son of a bitch.

Sure enough, that's what they needed . . . :coffee:

-----

Ravage!!!
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM

-----

and we are circled back around to that point again... :beer:

topscribe
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I know I'm going way back beyond the recollection or even lifetimes of some
here, but I have to mention:

Bud McFadin: DT for the Broncos from 1960-63. "Quit" was not in his vocabulary.

Wahoo McDaniel: LB 1961-63. Played most of his time off his feet. No, not on the
ground; in the air above the others . . . if you get my drift.

Goose Gonsoulin: DB 1960-1966. The last word in "safety" and "intensity."

Cookie Gilchrist: With Denver only in 1965 and 1967, and the guy was just
a spoiled brat and full of himself. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a RB who
so thoroughly enjoyed running over people, outside maybe Earl Campbell.

Lonnie Wright: Pride of CSU, played for the Broncos only in 1966 & 1967, and
was not the best in technical terms. But he terrorized opponents who made
the mistake of wandering into arm's length.

Billy Thompson: If he was in the game, you knew it. If he wasn't in the
game, you knew it. You could tell by the sounds of the collisions.

There are more, but these come to mind.

However:

Ravage mentioned Rich Jackson. He is my pick for intensity. Offensive tackles
hated playing across from him . . . most of them became astronomers, they
saw so many stars after playing Denver.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
From my decade of watching the Broncos; it has definitely gotta be Lenny Walls.

Denver27og
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
atwater or dsmith

dogfish
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
honorable mention goes to tom nalen. . . .

hotcarl
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
my vote would be

worst thread ever

:welcome:

topscribe
05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
honorable mention goes to tom nalen. . . .

NASTY NAILS!! :mad2:

:2thumbs:

-----

Poet
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Atwater put the fear of god in everyone who played against him. Romo was intense, but it's hard to give him any credit for it because he was on roids. On the field he was nothing more than a two-bit thug.

Atwater all day.

DenBronx
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM

-----

i guess its safe to say that we could use a guy like that now? i think maualuga would have brought that to the team. dj has never really had that grit you look for in a mlb and he has shyed away from leadership. hopefully larsen will come into his own this year.

I know I'm going way back beyond the recollection or even lifetimes of some
here, but I have to mention:

Bud McFadin: DT for the Broncos from 1960-63. "Quit" was not in his vocabulary.

Wahoo McDaniel: LB 1961-63. Played most of his time off his feet. No, not on the
ground; in the air above the others . . . if you get my drift.

Goose Gonsoulin: DB 1960-1966. The last word in "safety" and "intensity."

Cookie Gilchrist: With Denver only in 1965 and 1967, and the guy was just
a spoiled brat and full of himself. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a RB who
so thoroughly enjoyed running over people, outside maybe Earl Campbell.

Lonnie Wright: Pride of CSU, played for the Broncos only in 1966 & 1967, and
was not the best in technical terms. But he terrorized opponents who made
the mistake of wandering into arm's length.

Billy Thompson: If he was in the game, you knew it. If he wasn't in the
game, you knew it. You could tell by the sounds of the collisions.

There are more, but these come to mind.

However:

Ravage mentioned Rich Jackson. He is my pick for intensity. Offensive tackles
hated playing across from him . . . most of them became astronomers, they
saw so many stars after playing Denver.

-----

i was born in 1976. so...i cant really compare those guys to my generation. i do know players were much dirtier back then. however, i wonder how much dirtier romo would have been with less rules, pads ect. ?

DenBronx
05-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Atwater put the fear of god in everyone who played against him. Romo was intense, but it's hard to give him any credit for it because he was on roids. On the field he was nothing more than a two-bit thug.

Atwater all day.

the funny thing is they both played on the same team at the same time.

someone mentioned eddie mac. he is a great example of wr intensity. he loved to hit people just as much as he liked to catch the football.

makes you wonder why that team was so much more intense as a whole and now we are considered very soft. this b-boy shit has got to stop.

Ravage!!!
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
makes you wonder why that team was so much more intense as a whole and now we are considered very soft. this b-boy shit has got to stop.

Man... that can't be repeated enough times.....

Magnificent Seven
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I would vote for Jumpy Geathers.

He was a forceful pass rusher, famous for his "forklift" rush, in which he picked up his blocker and carried him to the quarterback.

topscribe
05-03-2009, 05:37 PM
i guess its safe to say that we could use a guy like that now? i think maualuga would have brought that to the team. dj has never really had that grit you look for in a mlb and he has shyed away from leadership. hopefully larsen will come into his own this year.

Of course, the Broncos do have Dawkins now, and he's not known as a pussycat.
But you're right: Larsen hits like a mortar shell. If he's anything, he's intense.

i was born in 1976. so...i cant really compare those guys to my generation. i do know players were much dirtier back then. however, i wonder how much dirtier romo would have been with less rules, pads ect. ?

Well, I don't know that they were "dirty." There were fewer protective rules
then, and they played according to those rules. I do suspect that there was
more team loyalty because free agency wasn't what it is now, and players
played more for the love of the game, so that might have fostered perhaps
a higher degree of intensity. But they still had players who stood out, such
as those I listed.

Regarding Romo, I'm sure he would have stood out even among them because
he was a two-legged explosion. It's amazing how he could be so pleasant in
person (while still very ebullient) and such a fire-breathing beast on the field.
Dawkins is like that, too . . . I'm so glad to see Dawkins on the team.

-----

hotcarl
05-03-2009, 05:43 PM
ebullient

-----

"topscribe"!!!!!!!

DenBronx
05-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Of course, the Broncos do have Dawkins now, and he's not known as a pussycat.
But you're right: Larsen hits like a mortar shell. If he's anything, he's intense.

Well, I don't know that they were "dirty." There were fewer protective rules
then, and they played according to those rules. I do suspect that there was
more team loyalty because free agency wasn't what it is now, and players
played more for the love of the game, so that might have fostered perhaps
a higher degree of intensity. But they still had players who stood out, such
as those I listed.

Regarding Romo, I'm sure he would have stood out even among them because
he was a two-legged explosion. It's amazing how he could be so pleasant in
person (while still very ebullient) and such a fire-breathing beast on the field.
Dawkins is like that, too . . . I'm so glad to see Dawkins on the team.

-----

same here top. i think dawkins will not only bring leadership but he will bring some intensity on the field. hopefully that will catch on to guys like alphonso smith. i hear smith likes to hit...kind of a little scrappy db.

why are we forgetting john lynch?

BroncoTech
05-04-2009, 01:32 AM
It's murky between most intense and dirtiest. Most of the selections have been defensive players. I'd say John Lynch and Romo were our dirtiest. Most of Lynch's dirtiest hits were pre-Bronco, but none the less he had a rep throughout the league. Romo biting people in the pile and spitting on JJ Stokes's face are still livid memories. Are there any fans that doubt that Romo bit that guy please stand up.

I like Atwater and Dennis Smith of those already mentioned on the D side. Maybe Tom Jackson too, we kind of forget how good he was since he entered broadcasting.

On the O side I like Eddy Mac for being fearless over the middle and TD just for pure grind. Anybody mention Terrel Davis yet?

This just in.
You can't even post in this thread unless you mention Meck and Grad.

broncofaninfla
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Tom Jackson, Atwater, Dennis Smith, Al Wilson, Rulon Jones, Alzado, Romo.... we've had a lot of guys who played with good intensity..... Just nobody recently.

Shazam!
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Atwater should be one of the best players in NFL history. The guy was a professional, a leader on defense, just all class and a huge hitter. How he isnt in the HoF I do not know.

John Mobley is one of the most unappreciated Denver defenders of the Super Broncos era '96-98.

I'll also never forget 4th and 6 from the Denver 32.

Dirk
05-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Atwater should be one of the best players in NFL history. The guy was a professional, a leader on defense, just all class and a huge hitter. How he isnt in the HoF I do not know.

Alas...another snub of a team not on the east/west coast or Dallas.....:tsk:

horsepig
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Lots of great names mentioned, I was going to say don't forget TJ, but several beat me to it.

Top, do you recall that Lonnie Wright also jumped center for the Denver Rockets? That guy was one incredible athlete. I believe he was 6'3".

Thnikkaman
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I want to throw Shannon Sharpe's name in the ring. I will give it to Atwater, but the way he would get in the opposition's head, and then bring it on the field makes him pretty damn intense in my book.

topscribe
05-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Lots of great names mentioned, I was going to say don't forget TJ, but several beat me to it.

Top, do you recall that Lonnie Wright also jumped center for the Denver Rockets? That guy was one incredible athlete. I believe he was 6'3".

I don't recall Wright's playing center, but I do recall his basketball acumen. He
was a better basketball player than he was a football player, but he loved
football. However, he probably should have gone with his skill rather than his
heart.

But, boy, could that dude ever hit!! :shocked:

-----

topscribe
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM

John Mobley is one of the most unappreciated Denver defenders of the Super Broncos era '96-98.

I'll also never forget 4th and 6 from the Denver 32.

That Super Bowl was Mobley's finest hour. He really came into his own there.

BTW, you can see Super Bowl XXXII in its entirety (in 17 parts) on You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHF99C6M_6U&feature=related). I watched it last night. :D

-----

Broncolingus
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Tom Jackson, Atwater, Dennis Smith, Al Wilson, Rulon Jones, Alzado, Romo.... we've had a lot of guys who played with good intensity..... Just nobody recently.

At least on the defensive line...maybe Trevor Pryce, but not many (that lasted anyway) after that.

I guess Alzado - while he was here...

Romo seemed more 'psycho...'

horsepig
05-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't recall Wright's playing center, but I do recall his basketball acumen. He
was a better basketball player than he was a football player, but he loved
football. However, he probably should have gone with his skill rather than his
heart.

But, boy, could that dude ever hit!! :shocked:

-----

He didn't play center, they had him "jump center" at the opening og the game. A 6'3" guard in the opening tip off, unbelievable. He did it at CSU too.

topscribe
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
He didn't play center, they had him "jump center" at the opening og the game. A 6'3" guard in the opening tip off, unbelievable. He did it at CSU too.

Yes, now it comes back to me. He could out jump the big boys.

You're right: Lonnie was one terrific athlete . . .

-----

GEM
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Loved Al Wilson....but he shouldn't really be named in the thread. He couldn't hit like an Atwater, his energy was nowhere near a Romo. Absolute beasts....Al Wilson wasn't that.

You want tackle for tackle...I'd take Gradishar. PERIOD.

TXBRONC
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Alzado wasn't jucing in Denver.

Dirk
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Alzado wasn't jucing in Denver.

Not sure if this is a really good source, but the quote from Alzado was...

"I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lbs or jump 30 ft. But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way."

He was with the Broncos from 1971 -1978. So you tell me.

There are other sources as well.

http://www.usefultrivia.com/celebrity_trivia/sports_celebrity_trivia_008a.html

Dreadnought
05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Nate Webster...who else in our past ever lost his helmet so regularly?

T.K.O.
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Nate Webster...who else in our past ever lost his helmet so regularly?

thats cuz the steroids shrunk his head;)

Dirk
05-07-2009, 05:52 AM
thats cuz the steroids shrunk his head;)

:laugh:

TXBRONC
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Not sure if this is a really good source, but the quote from Alzado was...

"I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lbs or jump 30 ft. But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way."

He was with the Broncos from 1971 -1978. So you tell me.

There are other sources as well.

http://www.usefultrivia.com/celebrity_trivia/sports_celebrity_trivia_008a.html

I had never seen this quote before. I do remember from Sports Illustrated article many years ago that mentioned that he had been juicing when he was with the Raiders.

N.B. I'm not questioning the validity of the quote it just this the first time that I have seen it.

Dirk
05-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I had never seen this quote before. I do remember from Sports Illustrated article many years ago that mentioned that he had been juicing when he was with the Raiders.

N.B. I'm not questioning the validity of the quote it just this the first time that I have seen it.

I understand. I learn something new every day on this board! :salute:

East Coast Fan
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Someone asked him why he started taking the stuff, and his answer was "he didn't think that he was good enough to make it" without it.

Guess we'll never know if he was or not....

OB
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4338/219k.gif (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=219k.gif)

[/Thread]

Late BUTTT

One of the greatest hits of all time

way to go dog!!!!!!!!!!

Bronco Bible
05-08-2009, 06:05 PM

I still miss Al Wilson:coffee:

Nomad
05-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Lynch and Atwater were 10 and 9 among the top ten of all-time hardest hitters of all time on NFLN! Butkus #1(A one time draftee of the BRONCOS)!!

Dirk
05-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Late BUTTT

One of the greatest hits of all time

way to go dog!!!!!!!!!!

Ya gotta love that! Man I miss some of those old days!

GEM
05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Lynch and Atwater were 10 and 9 among the top ten of all-time hardest hitters of all time on NFLN! Butkus #1(A one time draftee of the BRONCOS)!!

:D Butkus!! We try to get my godsons' to hit like that guy. We have gotten a bunch of his old footage put together for them.

Nomad
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
:D Butkus!! We try to get my godsons' to hit like that guy. We have gotten a bunch of his old footage put together for them.

Intensity, aggressiveness, meanness can't be taught....skills, talent, football smarts can, but if you combine it all, he'll make a great football player! Is your godson going to the BRONCOS youth football camp in CO Springs. I believe it's in June, I'll try to find the link for you. I've been wanting to get my sons there, but can't find the time with baseball!!

I couldn't find the one from a couple years ago (Tatem Bell ran it) and Denver's not hosting a camp from this program, but here's one ran by the NFL with BRONCOS players attending in Lakewood. http://www.o-d.com/camps/2009/denver/

GEM
05-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Intensity, aggressiveness, meanness can't be taught....skills, talent, football smarts can, but if you combine it all, he'll make a great football player! Is your godson going to the BRONCOS youth football camp in CO Springs. I believe it's in June, I'll try to find the link for you. I've been wanting to get my sons there, but can't find the time with baseball!!

I couldn't find the one from a couple years ago (Tatem Bell ran it) and Denver's not hosting a camp from this program, but here's one ran by the NFL with BRONCOS players attending in Lakewood. http://www.o-d.com/camps/2009/denver/

My 13 year old godson has the intensity, aggressiveness and he loves to hit. I know he won't be a Butkus...he doesn't have the size :lol:, but that is who we have him watch game film on. If you are going to invest that kind of time, you might as well attempt to pattern yourself after the best. My godson had 21 sacks his first season and 18 his last season with 7 forced fumbles, all from the outside linebacker position. They tried him at CB, because he likes to creep, but he would go outside of his space and that turned into trouble in the long balls.

My 14 year old godson is the quieter of the 2 but definitely bigger. He has a quiet intensiveness about him. He OL, and the D guys usually start off thinking he's a piece of cake because of his demeanor. They learn real quick that there is no moving the kid. He didn't allow a sack on his side the past 2 seasons, which were his only 2 in organized sports. He was on a very well organized team who took championship the last 4 years out of 5. They are keeping the guys together and sending them all to the same high school. Should be fun. :D

Thank you for the link. Have you gone to any of those? We were looking at the one last year ran by Jeremy Bloom and CU's old QB. They had it up at the new Bubble at Folsom. Pretty friggen costly though.