PDA

View Full Version : Rookies hit playbooks for cram course

Den21vsBal19
05-02-2009, 05:29 AM
And now the hard work begins ;)

Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12276620)

The 10 players drafted by the Broncos last weekend had a couple of days to celebrate their arrival in the NFL, but they had little time to celebrate their actual arrival in Denver.

That's because work started with team meetings Thursday evening and their first NFL practice Friday morning — with plenty of studying in between.

Running back Knowshon Moreno, the team's first pick at No. 12, and wide receiver Kenny McKinley, drafted in the fifth round, holed up in the hotel room they are sharing to get ready for that first practice. They turned off their television and took turns quizzing each other on plays.

"We were just trying to get it. I know he wants to play, and I want to play also. And you've got to know your plays when you get on the field," McKinley said. "It's a job, so we're both taking it very seriously."

But for all the prep work, the rookies were far from perfect once practice started. But that's to be expected, coach Josh McDaniels said.

"There's some promise out there. We'll get better, and I'm sure we'll make some more mistakes tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon," McDaniels said. "They're trying. They're working hard, but they've got a long way to go."

The Broncos reported 100 percent attendance for the minicamp, which is voluntary. The team held its first camp for veterans two weeks ago. A passing camp is scheduled for the end of May, and a final full-team camp is scheduled for June 12-14.

Off-field issues.

McDaniels repeatedly preached the good character of the 10 players the team drafted last weekend.

The team then signed a couple of players with a history of off-field issues in its class of 17 undrafted free agents.

McDaniels said the team has spoken at length with nose tackle Chris Baker and punter Britton Colquitt, who were arrested during their college careers. Baker pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault charges and was dismissed from the team at Penn State. Colquitt was suspended for five games last season at Tennessee after being charged with DUI.

"We did our research and we spoke with both players before we did anything. Again, they know our message here, and we also feel like that stuff's in the past for them," McDaniels said. "They've made it very clear, we've made it very clear that nothing is going to be tolerated on our end. They're here, both of them are good kids and were in the meetings last night and this morning, so we're looking forward to seeing what they can do."

Double duty.

McDaniels said Spencer Larsen will again have the chance to play on both offense and defense this season.

Larsen became the first player in team history to start a game on both sides of the ball when he played both fullback and linebacker against Atlanta in November.

"Spencer has enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively and also help us in the kicking game," McDaniels said.

elsid13
05-02-2009, 06:52 AM
So it looks like Larson will stick, but not as starter. I really hope he goes into camp and kicks ass and force them to let him start inside.

Den21vsBal19
05-02-2009, 07:14 AM
So it looks like Larson will stick, but not as starter. I really hope he goes into camp and kicks ass and force them to let him start inside.
A player as versatile as Larsen can be a great boon to us. Even if he's only a backup, the fact that he can fill that role on both sides of the ball means greater flexibility to the rest of the roster.

And even if he were to win the starter's job inside, it doesn't neccessarily mean an end to him filling in at FB, was it Vrabel that used to do that reguarly in NE?

Personally, I'd pencil in Hillis & Moreno at RB, with Larsen & Hillis as the short yardage/GL pairing ;)

frauschieze
05-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I love that McD said Larsen would have a "limited" role offensively. I was never happy that Shanahan wanted to turn him into a fullback. I think it's incredible that he's capable of playing both ways but think he's a better linebacker. I'm glad it looks like he'll be sticking around.

Den21vsBal19
05-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I love that McD said Larsen would have a "limited" role offensively. I was never happy that Shanahan wanted to turn him into a fullback. I think it's incredible that he's capable of playing both ways but think he's a better linebacker. I'm glad it looks like he'll be sticking around.
He certainly seems to have a nose for the ball

xzn
05-02-2009, 10:44 AM
While I don't have any problem with Hillis getting short yardage / goalline touches, the thing about Knowshon is that he is a tough, physical inside runner with the agility and acceleration to bounce it if the defense commits to filling every inside gap.

So, I'd rather see Knowshon at TB and Hillis at FB with the threat of a FB dive or ISO block. Not to mention that both backs have great hands so PA is a significant threat as well.

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
A player as versatile as Larsen can be a great boon to us. Even if he's only a backup, the fact that he can fill that role on both sides of the ball means greater flexibility to the rest of the roster.

And even if he were to win the starter's job inside, it doesn't neccessarily mean an end to him filling in at FB, was it Vrabel that used to do that reguarly in NE?

Personally, I'd pencil in Hillis & Moreno at RB, with Larsen & Hillis as the short yardage/GL pairing ;)

In the red zone, that could be scary..