PDA

View Full Version : Brandon marshall reacts to cutler's departure

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2009, 08:41 PM
http://community.kdvr.com/_BRANDON-MARSHALL-REACTS-TO-CUTLERS-DEPARTURE/blog/238189/96399.html?b=

The following is a phone interview I conducted with Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall about Jay Cutler the day the organization announced they were trading their franchise quarterback to the Chicago Bears.

Josina: What was your reaction to the news?

Brandon: You know what? I was kind of happy it was done and over. It’s been dragging on for a couple weeks now. I must say it was kind of getting to some of us, but at the end of the day I think both teams got a great deal out of it. Jay is off to Chicago, and I think he’ll be happy there and have a lot of guys around him to where he can actually continue to get better. Kyle [Orton] is a quarterback that I watched in college, and I think that under coach [Josh] McDaniels and the new system that [Orton] will actually grow and continue to make big plays. You look at his record, [Orton] is 15-2 at home and he’s a winner. You can throw for 4,500 yards and 20 some touchdowns, but if you don’t win at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So, I’m glad we have a winner out of this, and we’re on the right track to get our organization where we need it to be.

Josina: When you say that it was getting to some of you, do you mean mentally?

Brandon: Well yeah, I’m not going to sit here and say it didn’t bother anybody. Jay [Cutler] was one of the biggest puzzle [pieces] to our team. He was the quarterback, probably one of the toughest positions to play. For him to be on the trading block is kind of an uneasy feeling. Now we can all sit back and just move forward, and believe in the system and coach [Josh] McDaniels and what we’re trying to accomplish. It just shows that we all need to be on the same page. From the players to the people making decisions up in the offices. So I’m excited, still, it definitely hurts to lose Jay [Cutler] he’s the guy that did great things on the field and gave me opportunities on the field to be the player that I was last year. Even off the field, a lot of people throughout this have talked bad about him, but Jay [Cutler] has his own personality. He is who he is, but people don’t know he does a lot of things in the community for families and children and even Reverend Kelly. It’s amazing the things he’s done and accomplished. I’m sure he’s going to continue to do that here in Denver and Chicago. Jay [Cutler] is a special person, and again we have our own little relationship everyone knows, and he helped me out a lot in the off-season, and all I can do is think about him and wish him well.

Josina: Do you personally feel more pressure on you as far as the offense with [Jay Cutler] now departed?

Brandon: No not at all. I think we probably have the brightest coach in the game now. By sitting back and just observing, and just trying to learn from coach [Josh] McDaniels. We know we lost someone special, a great talent, but I think the chemistry as far as everyone being on the same page means that much more than having someone who can just sling it and make plays on the field. We got to have that chemistry in the locker room and we have to be on the same page. I think coach [Josh ] McDaniels the things he was able to do with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, he can do the same with the quarterbacks we have now. I reached out to Kyle [Orton] and I talked to him today, and I told him how excited I am to see what he’s going to be able to do in this offense, and I can’t wait to meet him. I think Broncos fans should just relax a little bit and be excited about the direction we’re headed in and believe in coach [Josh] McDaniels and Mr. [Bowlen] and believe in what we’re doing. I think at the end of the day we’re going to be okay.

Josina: Do you think the picks acquired for this draft should be used for the defense since the Broncos got a quarterback in this deal?

Brandon: You know my job is to just catch the ball. Catch the ball and be a great teammate, and be a good guy in the locker room. I’m going to leave that up to coach [Josh] McDaniels, and let his staff decide what direction we go in with the draft. Maybe one day I’ll get paid to make decisions as far as personnel. Now I’m just getting paid to catch the football.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
We know we lost someone special, a great talent, but I think the chemistry as far as everyone being on the same page means that much more than having someone who can just sling it and make plays on the field.

Hasn't Coach McD been stressing chemistry and character during the draft?

I am liking this article. Glad it came from Marshall.

omac
05-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Jay [Cutler] is a special person, and again we have our own little relationship everyone knows, and he helped me out a lot in the off-season, and all I can do is think about him and wish him well, and take subtle shots at him to the press every chance I get, because that's the kind of friend I am.

Just kidding, no need to flame, hehehehe. :D

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
You look at his record, [Orton] is 15-2 at home and he’s a winner. You can throw for 4,500 yards and 20 some touchdowns, but if you don’t win at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So, I’m glad we have a winner out of this, and we’re on the right track to get our organization where we need it to be.

Interesting things Marshall is saying in this interview...

Kinda of wish people would discuss it:cool:

Tned
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Interesting things Marshall is saying in this interview...

Kinda of wish people would discuss it:cool:

Just to be clear, are we only supposed to discuss the comments that could be considered negative in regards to Jay, or the whole article, including where Marshall said it made the team uneasy that someone like Jay could be on the trading block?

Well yeah, I’m not going to sit here and say it didn’t bother anybody. Jay [Cutler] was one of the biggest puzzle [pieces] to our team. He was the quarterback, probably one of the toughest positions to play. For him to be on the trading block is kind of an uneasy feeling. Now we can all sit back and just move forward, and believe in the system and coach [Josh] McDaniels and what we’re trying to accomplish. It just shows that we all need to be on the same page. From the players to the people making decisions up in the offices. So I’m excited, still, it definitely hurts to lose Jay [Cutler] he’s the guy that did great things on the field and gave me opportunities on the field to be the player that I was last year. Even off the field, a lot of people throughout this have talked bad about him, but Jay [Cutler] has his own personality. He is who he is, but people don’t know he does a lot of things in the community for families and children and even Reverend Kelly. It’s amazing the things he’s done and accomplished. I’m sure he’s going to continue to do that here in Denver and Chicago. Jay [Cutler] is a special person, and again we have our own little relationship everyone knows, and he helped me out a lot in the off-season, and all I can do is think about him and wish him well.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Just to be clear, are we only supposed to discuss the comments that could be considered negative in regards to Jay, or the whole article, including where Marshall said it made the team uneasy that someone like Jay could be on the trading block?

We can talk about the entire thing...

Jay [Cutler] he’s the guy that did great things on the field and gave me opportunities on the field to be the player that I was last year. Even off the field, a lot of people throughout this have talked bad about him, but Jay [Cutler] has his own personality. He is who he is, but people don’t know he does a lot of things in the community for families and children and even Reverend Kelly. It’s amazing the things he’s done and accomplished. I’m sure he’s going to continue to do that here in Denver and Chicago. Jay [Cutler] is a special person, and again we have our own little relationship everyone knows, and he helped me out a lot in the off-season, and all I can do is think about him and wish him well.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Soooooooo.....

Maybe its wishful thinking, but B Marsh might be growing up a little.

Seems very positive about the direction of the team, the leadership, and the players they have.

topscribe
05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Soooooooo.....

Seems very positive about the direction of the team, the leadership, and the players they have.

I believe the way BMarsh responded was mature. Reading between the lines,
however, it would seem to me there's some resentment there. But that's just
my impression . . .

-----

omac
05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Soooooooo.....

With his past and recent offseason troubles, Marshall's on a very short leash. If he gets another suspension this season, the chances of him remaining a Bronco lessen. It would do him well to project a pro team and pro management stance. I just wish he were involved in something during the offseason that could keep him busy and out of trouble. :D

honz
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Marshall has always been fairly mature on the field and in the locker room from what I can tell...minus trying to pull a glove out of his crotch area in a close game. He just seems to do some stupid stuff off the field. He's never whined about touches or thrown our defense under the bus (*cough*Jay*cough*) or anything like that. Just likes to have fun on the field and win.

Lonestar
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
good article Carol.. thanks for finding all of them I suspect your paying kickbacks to these guys to send them to you first to post..:salute:

Now the topic is Marshall being a team mate..

:focus:

Tned
05-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Soooooooo.....

Let's hope he's growing up. I really want the Broncos to resign him, but with concerns about suspensions and other off field problems, I'm guessing they are hesitant.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Marshall has always been fairly mature on the field and in the locker room from what I can tell...minus trying to pull a glove out of his crotch area in a close game. He just seems to do some stupid stuff off the field. He's never whined about touches or thrown our defense under the bus (*cough*Jay*cough*) or anything like that. Just likes to have fun on the field and win.

Good points about him not complaining about touches.

I am willing to bet that McD has put Marshall in check. Maybe even used Moss as an example.

I hope B Marsh is finally appreciating his talents on the field and the chances he has been given by the NFL and Broncos. We all know what he can do on the field...now he just needs to prove himself off the field.

frauschieze
05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
It was nice to see Marshall acting gracious about the whole thing. I wonder why it's taken so long for this interview to be released.

topscribe
05-01-2009, 10:26 PM

I believe BMarsh has matured immensely since he first came here. What I like
about him most is, despite his terrific accomplishments, he has apparently
remained about the team.

-----

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:28 PM
It was nice to see Marshall acting gracious about the whole thing. I wonder why it's taken so long for this interview to be released.

This article kind of blows out the comment Jay made the first day the trade talks came out...

Paraphrase - "If they trade me, there will be a lot of people following" Something like that. I think when I read that as well as a lot of other people, it was trying to make it sound like a big revolt was going to happen amongst the players if he got traded. Didn't happen.

topscribe
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
This article kind of blows out the comment Jay made the first day the trade talks came out...

Paraphrase - "If they trade me, there will be a lot of people following" Something like that. I think when I read that as well as a lot of other people, it was trying to make it sound like a big revolt was going to happen amongst the players if he got traded. Didn't happen.

I get the impression Scheffler was tempted.

-----

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I get the impression Scheffler was tempted.

-----

And I get the feeling the Broncos are still going to look to trade him.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:32 PM

He just said a lot of people would be upset...

But just as anyone, we know that Marshall, Royal, the TE and his friends were on the phone with him during the reports of that trade. I'm sure his friends were telling him just how PISSED OFF they would be if the team traded him away. I think they were/are pissed. Doesn't mean they are going to shout it to the press.. but that doesn't mean they are happy he's gone.

Like Marshall just said... "Well yeah, I’m not going to sit here and say it didn’t bother anybody. Jay [Cutler] was one of the biggest puzzle [pieces] to our team. He was the quarterback, probably one of the toughest positions to play. For him to be on the trading block is kind of an uneasy feeling."

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:36 PM
He just said a lot of people would be upset...

But just as anyone, we know that Marshall, Royal, the TE and his friends were on the phone with him during the reports of that trade. I'm sure his friends were telling him just how PISSED OFF they would be if the team traded him away. I think they were/are pissed. Doesn't mean they are going to shout it to the press.. but that doesn't mean they are happy he's gone.

Like Marshall just said... "Well yeah, I’m not going to sit here and say it didn’t bother anybody. Jay [Cutler] was one of the biggest puzzle [pieces] to our team. He was the quarterback, probably one of the toughest positions to play. For him to be on the trading block is kind of an uneasy feeling."

I take that quote you posted as saying....for a player who is a big part of the team ( QB, leader ..etc ) to be on the block, made us uneasy thinking that if Jay could be traded than anyone could be.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I take that quote you posted as saying....for a player who is a big part of the team ( QB, leader ..etc ) to be on the block, made us uneasy thinking that if Jay could be traded than anyone could be.

Me too.

Meaning I don't expect him simply to go 'blasting' the team for trading Jay away.

BroncoBJ
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
:lol: Such a nice peaceful thread turned so hostile. :eek:
Thanks for sharing though. :salute:

He kinda seems to take little snipes at Jay here and there ;)
Even the last time I saw him talk. He said you can throw for 4000 yards and do whatever but Kyle is a proven winner. :salute:

xzn
05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the bickering in this thread.

I kept thinking it'd get back on topic....

Marshall does come accross as much more mature and team oriented. Good for him. Here's hoping he keeps it up!

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
:lol: Such a nice peaceful thread turned so hostile. :eek:
Thanks for sharing though. :salute:

He kinda seems to take little snipes at Jay here and there ;)
Even the last time I saw him talk. He said you can throw for 4000 yards and do whatever but Kyle is a proven winner. :salute:

yeah.. you can catch 100+ balls a season, and STILL drop them in the endzone.

Funny how Marshall would try to imply anyone else on the SAME TEAM as a loser?? :confused:

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Funny how Marshall would try to imply anyone else on the SAME TEAM as a loser?? :confused:

QB's are known for their W/L record. Marshall just re-itterated that by Orton's record at home.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:46 PM
QB's are known for their W/L record. Marshall just re-itterated that by Orton's record at home.

yeah.. but so are any players that try to get into the HoF. So when it comes down to it, all players are judged on their wins and/or championships.

topscribe

How many did BMarsh drop in the end zone, Rav?

And I think he was referring to Cutler's quitting the team. BMarsh didn't quit . . .

-----

BroncoBJ

:lol: True. But QB's get blamed for everything. Whether WR's drop balls, RB's fumble, Defense gives up 30 Plus a game, Kickers missing FG's.... It all comes back to the QB.

And They get the W/L record at the end of the day.

Who knows how this season will turn out. I just hope were competitive in every game and don't make the stupid costly mistakes. :salute:

Northman
05-01-2009, 10:49 PM
You can throw for 4,500 yards and 20 some touchdowns, but if you don’t win at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So, I’m glad we have a winner out of this, and we’re on the right track to get our organization where we need it to be.

Holy Shit. Ouch. lmao

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:50 PM
How many did BMarsh drop in the end zone, Rav?

And I think he was referring to Cutler's quitting the team. BMarsh didn't quit . . .

-----

I don't see anything being referred to 'quitting the team'... but I guess that comes down to hwo you read it.. I certainly dont' see that anywhere in there.

As far as Marshall dropping balls in the endzone.. how many is too many??? How many balls are too many to drop, period? Endzone or not?

Point being.... I don't think Marshall, as a person of the same team, can try to imply isn't a winner. Until Marshall actually wins something as well.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah.. but so are any players that try to get into the HoF. So when it comes down to it, all players are judged on their wins and/or championships.

Not accurate at all. I don't think ZImmerman was voted into the HOF based on how many wins he had as an OT. Sharpe won't be either when he gets in. Neither will Champ when he gets in. Its only about the QB and their win's and/or championships.

Tony G will get into the HOF too and the boy has barely sniffed the playoffs.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Not accurate at all. I don't think ZImmerman was voted into the HOF based on how many wins he had as an OT. Sharpe won't be either when he gets in. Neither will Champ when he gets in. Its only about the QB and their win's and/or championships.

Tony G will get into the HOF too and the boy has barely sniffed the playoffs.

There are QBs that are in that never won a Super Bowl too. Doesn't mean there isn't exceptions to the "rule"... point being, if you are trying to decide between TWO players (especially at the skill positions) on who gets in and who doesnt.. WINS will make a difference and Championships won will absolutely be the 'tie breaker'........

topscribe
05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't see anything being referred to 'quitting the team'... but I guess that comes down to hwo you read it.. I certainly dont' see that anywhere in there.

As far as Marshall dropping balls in the endzone.. how many is too many??? How many balls are too many to drop, period? Endzone or not?

Point being.... I don't think Marshall, as a person of the same team, can try to imply isn't a winner. Until Marshall actually wins something as well.

I personally can't see how Marshall could have done any better, having caught
104 passes for 1,265 yards, in his third year, having missed one game, with
a still healing arm and a bad hip.

I just think Marshall was mad at Cutler for quitting the team, and his remarks
were the result of that. IMO.

-----

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
There are QBs that are in that never won a Super Bowl too. Doesn't mean there isn't exceptions to the "rule"... point being, if you are trying to decide between TWO players (especially at the skill positions) on who gets in and who doesnt.. WINS will make a difference and Championships won will absolutely be the 'tie breaker'........

Only concerning the QB.

Skill positions its all about Stats or else Rod Smith and Sharpe would be first balet HOF'ers. Sharpe held all the TE stats in the World and has 3 SB's to go with it but that didn't matter. Rod is an undrafted WR that holds just about every WR record for the Broncos with TWO SB's to go along with it but will probably never get in.

ONLY the QB is talked about when it comes to win/lose records. Do you think anyone cares how many wins Ray Lewis has? no! He will be a HOF because of his play and his play alone.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Only concerning the QB.

Skill positions its all about Stats or else Rod Smith and Sharpe would be first balet HOF'ers. Sharpe held all the TE stats in the World and has 3 SB's to go with it but that didn't matter. Rod is an undrafted WR that holds just about every WR record for the Broncos with TWO SB's to go along with it but will probably never get in.

ONLY the QB is talked about when it comes to win/lose records. Do you think anyone cares how many wins Ray Lewis has? no! He will be a HOF because of his play and his play alone.

Thats why I pointed out skill positions.... LB isn't a skill position.

Also.. there has never been a TE to make it into the HoF on first ballot. Believe it or not, that actually holds some clout with those that vote for the HoF.... if no one has done it before, then they don't think that should change.

Also... if you want to use Tony G and Sharpe as examples.

If they were both eligible at the same time, Tony G has the most yards/catches or whatever, while Shannon has nearly as many and 3 Super Bowls. You don't think that would play a role in the decision making?

One could say "yeah, but Sharpe had Elway"... others could say "Yeha, but because KC had NO ONE else to throw to, of course he caught a lot of balls." "Sharpe was on a championship team while Tony always played for loswers" "But sharpe helped the Ravens win a Super Bowl, and the Ravens haven't since. Tony and the Chiefs, haven't done squat period"... blah blah blah.. back and forth. But the Championships won and playoff games won WOULD play a role. Cris Carter didn't get in as a first Ballot.... you don't think that no Championships won makes a difference on that decision?

Hawgdriver
05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Great find Carol.

Brandon Marshall is the prototypical "passion to prepare" type of player. That is what I have always admired most about Marshall. His will to prepare when he entered the league and as a rookie was tremendous and we saw the results. McDaniels can continue to do wonders with him because he knows what to do with an elite receiver and Marshall will hold up his end of the bargain. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team play in January. I wonder if the whole Cutler fiasco ends up bringing the team closer together.

Speaking of "passion to prepare" players, I also like what I hear from coach McD about his quarterbacks. I think he will put them in a position to succeed in terms of a game plan and putting them in situations to stay within their ability--and what QB wouldn't love those weapons on offense--but it's up to the QBs to actually deliver. The waiting for September is going to kill me.

Tned
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM

-----

I think people see what they want in an article. I saw him being pretty complimentary of Cutler, but also saying about the only 'positive' thing he could about Orton, which is that he has a good winning percentage (which I like).

That wasn't very critical IMO, he seemed to go out of his way to say that putting him on the trading block made people uneasy, and also talking about all the good things Cutler does that people don't know about.

Hawgdriver
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM

He had 4 fumbles in 106 touches. That has to improve. Other than that, you can't ask for much more--but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it.

topscribe
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I think people see what they want in an article. I saw him being pretty complimentary of Cutler, but also saying about the only 'positive' thing he could about Orton, which is that he has a good winning percentage (which I like).

That wasn't very critical IMO, he seemed to go out of his way to say that putting him on the trading block made people uneasy, and also talking about all the good things Cutler does that people don't know about.

Well, what I mentioned wasn't really what I wanted to see. It is just what I
perceived, reading between the lines. However, "reading between the lines" is
very subjective, so you could be right . . .

-----

Watchthemiddle
Thats why I pointed out skill positions.... LB isn't a skill position.

Also.. there has never been a TE to make it into the HoF on first ballot. Believe it or not, that actually holds some clout with those that vote for the HoF.... if no one has done it before, then they don't think that should change.

Also... if you want to use Tony G and Sharpe as examples.

If they were both eligible at the same time, Tony G has the most yards/catches or whatever, while Shannon has nearly as many and 3 Super Bowls. You don't think that would play a role in the decision making?

One could say "yeah, but Sharpe had Elway"... others could say "Yeha, but because KC had NO ONE else to throw to, of course he caught a lot of balls." "Sharpe was on a championship team while Tony always played for loswers" "But sharpe helped the Ravens win a Super Bowl, and the Ravens haven't since. Tony and the Chiefs, haven't done squat period"... blah blah blah.. back and forth. But the Championships won and playoff games won WOULD play a role. Cris Carter didn't get in as a first Ballot.... you don't think that no Championships won makes a difference on that decision?

Championships and playoffs are different than overall W/L records.

My point is no one remembers Cris Carter, Sharpe, Tony G, and the list goes on for their W/L records. They are remembered for stats. QB's are remembered for W/L records, stats, championships....and the list goes on.

Marino is one of the exceptions. He is NOT remembered by most for the amount of wins he put up, instead he is remembered by his stats and the fact that he NEVER won the big game.

Ravage!!!

-----

I've never complained about how marshall has played, and OFTEN have defended his drops (but NEVER using any hurt hand as an excuse)...

But I dont' see anywhere it suggesting he's mad at Cutler for 'quitting' the team. But as Tned points out, I think people see what they want to see.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Championships and playoffs are different than overall W/L records.

My point is no one remembers Cris Carter, Sharpe, Tony G, and the list goes on for their W/L records. They are remembered for stats. QB's are remembered for W/L records, stats, championships....and the list goes on.

Marino is one of the exceptions. He is NOT remembered by most for the amount of wins he put up, instead he is remembered by his stats and the fact that he NEVER won the big game.

Tarkenton.. Fouts.......Kelly....

you can't win regular season games and get into the playoffs without playing well and putting up the stats.. CONSISTANTLY. They go hand-n-hand.

Elway was a HoF'er before he won the Super Bowls. Favre won one..... its the play on the field that ULTIMATELY is the deciding factor for all positions. I think the fans try to use the 'wins and losses' more than anything else.

topscribe
05-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I've never complained about how marshall has played, and OFTEN have defended his drops (but NEVER using any hurt hand as an excuse)...

But I dont' see anywhere it suggesting he's mad at Cutler for 'quitting' the team. But as Tned points out, I think people see what they want to see.

Yes, as I mentioned in my response to Tned, you may very well be right.

But it isn't necessarily what a person wants to see. It is a matter of individual
perception. Sometimes a person sees what he does not want to see, but he
can still be wrong . . .

-----

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Tarkenton.. Fouts.......Kelly....

you can't win regular season games and get into the playoffs without playing well and putting up the stats.. CONSISTANTLY. They go hand-n-hand.

Elway was a HoF'er before he won the Super Bowls. Favre won one..... its the play on the field that ULTIMATELY is the deciding factor for all positions. I think the fans try to use the 'wins and losses' more than anything else.

I agree...and not really sure if we are disagreeing in a round about way.

All I am saying is that the QB is held to the wins and the loses more than anyone else on the field.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I think Broncos fans should just relax a little bit and be excited about the direction we’re headed in and believe in coach [Josh] McDaniels and Mr. [Bowlen] and believe in what we’re doing. I think at the end of the day we’re going to be okay.

:beer::beer:

roomemp
05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I love the broncosforums. It is a shame some people are turing it into a toilet with there petty tick for tack bull. Thanks for the find Carol!!!!!

dogfish
05-01-2009, 11:39 PM

he's not the quarterback. . . . he's just one of the other 21 unimportant starters-- they don't have anything to do with winning and losing, all they do is stand around with their thumbs up their butts. . . . ;)

Reidman
05-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Great article Carol, thanks for posting it.

Surprising to me to hear how Marshall dissected the situation. I would have figured he would be up in arms since i seemed like him and Cutler had great chemistry and now he has to start over (with Orton, for this season at least). I guess when you're dealing with a bunch of crap for so long, you take what you can get to be done with it.

frauschieze
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
This thread is being closed temporarily to allow massive cleanup.

Any posts after this point need to be on the article or football discussion itself.

frauschieze
05-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Okay......now that THAT'S done, back to our regularly scheduled article debate.

And it better be civil because that just took me twenty minutes and I'll not be pleased if I have to come back in here.

honz
05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
:tsk:

DenBronx
05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
damn. a little harsh coming from my adoptee marshall. cutler helped him out more than anyone. he even let him stay at his own house. but coming from marshall it does start to make you wonder about the whole chemistry thing. im not talking about game chemistry, im talking about locker room chemistry. cutler ive heard was very impersonal at times with other players and we all know he never sugar coated what he was going to say.

i must say marshall does sound excited about the new system and the team. that helps put my mind at ease.

bcbronc
05-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Marshall is going to be a beast in this offense as he YACs it up.

Tned
05-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Marshall is going to be a beast in this offense as he YACs it up.

I hope so. Some have said he should stop trying so hard after the catch, since it sometimes leads to lost yardage or fumbles, but I think that those occasional fumbles or times he loses yardage are worth it for the times those extra efforts result in big YACs.

Watchthemiddle
05-02-2009, 02:42 AM
This thread is being closed temporarily to allow massive cleanup.

Any posts after this point need to be on the article or football discussion itself.

Ahhhh...and I was just logging on to get some nice reading material to help me fall asleep...;)

omac
05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
I hope so. Some have said he should stop trying so hard after the catch, since it sometimes leads to lost yardage or fumbles, but I think that those occasional fumbles or times he loses yardage are worth it for the times those extra efforts result in big YACs.

Yeah, the same thing happens with AD, when he barrels through tacklers and they try to bring him down; sometimes, he loses the football. Like everything in football, bigger risks yield bigger rewards. The same way Cutler's INTs rub people here the wrong way because he goes for too much, check out the Redskins forums and you'll see they're the exact opposite, heavily criticizing Campbell for playing it too safe and going to checkdowns as his first choice. Campbell only had 6 INTs all of last season, yet he also does not have a contract extension either.

Timmy!
05-02-2009, 03:46 AM
A look. A Marshall thread that was totally turned into a Cutler debate. SHOCKING!

Way to show some backbone and support the team B-Marsh. :salute:

rcsodak
05-02-2009, 10:59 AM
damn. a little harsh coming from my adoptee marshall. cutler helped him out more than anyone. he even let him stay at his own house. but coming from marshall it does start to make you wonder about the whole chemistry thing. im not talking about game chemistry, im talking about locker room chemistry. cutler ive heard was very impersonal at times with other players and we all know he never sugar coated what he was going to say.

i must say marshall does sound excited about the new system and the team. that helps put my mind at ease.

More than a few of us have been trying to tell you that. :tsk:

Next time, just believe us.

OK?!
:D

atwater27
05-02-2009, 11:10 AM
[url] You look at his record, [Orton] is 15-2 at home and he’s a winner. You can throw for 4,500 yards and 20 some touchdowns, but if you don’t win at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So, I’m glad we have a winner out of this, and we’re on the right track to get our organization where we need it to be.

Brandon, you can catch 100 balls and fumble a bunch and drop a high percentage of the balls that were fed to you like popcorn, and then spout this horseshit about your QB's stats and winning?

Brandon: You know my job is to just catch the ball. .

Then catch the ******* ball and stop beating up your girlfriends.

I respect the smell of my own farts more than Brandon's opinions.

Hawgdriver
05-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Watching Brandon Marshall after he catches a ball is one of the main reasons I watch football at all. The way he crushes defenders is amazing. His agility is something poetic. His drive jumps off the screen. Besides winning, or maybe even alongside winning, it's the best thing about gameday. I hope he never changes that, just learns how to protect the ball better while doing it.

Hawgdriver
05-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Then catch the ******* ball and stop beating up your girlfriends.

I respect the smell of my own farts more than Brandon's opinions.

:laugh: Do you have great respect for your fart-smell?

atwater27
05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
:laugh: Do you have great respect for your fart-smell?

It all goes back to my childhood. My mommy would always say I was a pretty smart fella. My Daddy would say I was a pretty fart smella.

Ravage!!!
05-02-2009, 11:54 AM

The YAC is what makes Marshall a BEAST on the field. ITs that effort and unwillingness to stop that makes him such a threat, because that first defender has such a hard time bringing him down.

I LOVE Marshall's effort after the catch and will take the occasional 'negative' to benefit from all the positives in a heartbeat.

Tned
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
The YAC is what makes Marshall a BEAST on the field. ITs that effort and unwillingness to stop that makes him such a threat, because that first defender has such a hard time bringing him down.

I LOVE Marshall's effort after the catch and will take the occasional 'negative' to benefit from all the positives in a heartbeat.

I agree, but in the gameday chats and threads, it's amazing how many people go off on him when he tries for the extra yards. It's because he has had a few key fumbles doing it, and a few times he has circled back and lost yards.

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I agree, but in the gameday chats and threads, it's amazing how many people go off on him when he tries for the extra yards. It's because he has had a few key fumbles doing it, and a few times he has circled back and lost yards.

My biggest concerns were for him getting a knee blown out trying for an extra yard. Especially when being surrounded by 4-6 defenders.. Tuck teh ball away, lower your shoulder and get the extra yard instead of cutting back or dancing around.

He had to many years as a RB to let it GO...

LoyalSoldier
05-02-2009, 04:06 PM
You look at his record, [Orton] is 15-2 at home and he’s a winner. You can throw for 4,500 yards and 20 some touchdowns, but if you don’t win at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So, I’m glad we have a winner out of this, and we’re on the right track to get our organization where we need it to be.

I actually find that statement to be somewhat funny since Orton was terrible at home (10 TD - 9 Ints) and was decent on the road (8 TD - 3 Ints).

T.K.O.
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I believe the way BMarsh responded was mature. Reading between the lines,
however, it would seem to me there's some resentment there. But that's just
my impression . . .

-----

you know what THEY say...if you read between the lines,you....uhhh wait,there is no old saying about reading between the lines,my bad:confused:

Dean
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
My biggest concerns were for him getting a knee blown out trying for an extra yard. Especially when being surrounded by 4-6 defenders.. Tuck teh ball away, lower your shoulder and get the extra yard instead of cutting back or dancing around.

He had to many years as a RB to let it GO...

I think you have him confused with someone else. Offensively, he was a receiver at UCF and at Winter Park-Lake Howell high school.

Lonestar
05-04-2009, 04:16 AM
I think you have him confused with someone else. Offensively, he was a receiver at UCF and at Winter Park-Lake Howell high school.

he was quoted in one of his interviews about being a RB at one time and that was the reason he does what he does after catching the ball.. refusing to just go down.. something to the effect of "hard to get the RB out of my system"..

topscribe
05-04-2009, 04:20 AM
he was quoted in one of his interviews about being a RB at one time and that was the reason he does what he does after catching the ball.. refusing to just go down.. something to the effect of "hard to get the RB out of my system"..

Yes, I have to back you on this. BMarsh did mention that he once played RB.

-----

Dean
05-04-2009, 07:00 AM

-----

I wonder when that was" I looked back at both his college stats and his high school scouting reports and saw no mention of it or no significant numer of carries. However, obviously,he is the one who would know. I stand corrected.

Tned
05-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I wonder when that was" I looked back at both his college stats and his high school scouting reports and saw no mention of it or no significant numer of carries. However, obviously,he is the one who would know. I stand corrected.

-----

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20061001/ai_n16804725/

INTRODUCTION TO THE GAME

Fred Marshall was an All-City quarterback as a high school athlete in Pittsburgh, so he was pleased when his son Brandon took up the sport.

Brandon played running back in youth football, and Fred taught him the basics of the game. He taught his son to be aggressive, and how to get hit and keep moving forward.

"I'd want him to be one step ahead," Fred said. "And he wanted to be the best."

When Brandon wanted to switch to receiver, Fred taught him what he knew. He showed Brandon how a receiver should catch the ball with his hands and not his chest and how to run routes.

"He started it all," Brandon Marshall said.

GETTING FASTER

Marshall played football at Lake Howell High School after moving from Georgia to Florida. He was putting himself through drills one day when he saw someone working out with another player. He introduced himself to the man, who was Lake Howell track coach Darnell Harrison.

"I asked him 'Do you mind working with me a little bit?'" Marshall said.

Marshall needed Harrison's help. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds -- a good time for an NFL lineman -- when he met Harrison. Harrison said Marshall's form was terrible.

"His hands were crossing his chest, his knees were going out and he looked like he was going to fall," Harrison said. "He had no idea how to run."

Harrison, who now runs a training center, helped Marshall improve his 40 time by a few tenths of a second. The workouts were tough. His senior year, after practice of whatever sport was in season, he would run 2 miles, then do plyometric exercises and passcatching drills. He usually would get home around 10 p.m.

Marshall's athleticism improved. Before the draft, he ran the 40 under 4.5 seconds.

FIGURING OUT RECEIVER

Marshall had a lot to learn about the game when he arrived at Central Florida.

"There was a lot of teaching involved," said Sean Beckton, Marshall's first receivers coach. "He had no clue on what was going on with our base offense when he got to Central Florida."

Nomad
05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Youth football is where it starts for most and that's why having a good coach at that level that knows how to take the time, be patient, and teach the fundamentals/techniques the right way is so important. Stressing to catch with your hands and not the chest or forearms is so important and tackling and blocking is something all football players should know how to do no matter what position. Sounds like Marshall's dad was a good mentor and coach, I hope my son's can say the same thing about me one day! It's the little details that will make you better!

horsepig
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Some nice backgound on Marshall. It sounds like he has a pretty darn solid work ethic.

Simple Jaded
05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Soooooooo.....

Either that or he knows exactly how thin the ice he's trying to stand on actual is.......

LoyalSoldier
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Either that or he knows exactly how thin the ice he's trying to stand on actual is.......

And that isn't growing up how? By realizing there are consequences for his actions is in fact growing up.

Dean
05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks T-ned. I appreciate you taking the time to find the article. It was an interesting read.:2thumbs:

Simple Jaded
05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
And that isn't growing up how? By realizing there are consequences for his actions is in fact growing up.

His biggest mistakes may not have as much to do with maturity as they do real issues, imo, I just don't know if a lack of maturity is the main issue.

He's always been able to say the right things, this is nothing new and he still has a lot to prove, imo.......

TXBRONC
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM

It sounds like it might have been back in Jr. High or Little League or both.