PDA

View Full Version : Down to Business

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9043

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Welcome to Denver. Now let's get to work.

That was the message for 10 draft picks and 17 college free agents heading into the first practice of the first mini-camp of their NFL career.

There was a lot to get accustomed to -- new teammates, new coaches, new jerseys, new practice facilities, even new air. Kenny McKinley said the thin air "really does get to you," just something else to get used to for the first-year players.

Veteran Andra Davis said he felt for the rookies -- the first day of practice is always tough.

"It was nerve-wracking," he recalled. "Coming in, fifth-round pick, knowing I had to do really well on special teams just to even make the team -- it was exciting, though."

But just because he empathized with the rookies didn't stop him from needling the team's two first-round picks -- both from SEC schools that fell to Davis' alma mater, the University of Florida. Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers are, as Davis fondly refers to them, Gator Bait.

"Knowshon is a Georgia Bulldog and Rob, he went to Tennessee," Davis said. "My Gators, we killed both of them. So I messed with them a little about that."

But while Friday was just as much about overcoming the nerves and getting to know new teammates, it was also still about getting down to business.

The team is in the process of learning the offensive and defensive schemes, something that's even more difficult for rookies coming in on their first day.

Many of the first-year players stayed up for much of the night, immersed in their playbooks so they could impress their coaches and teammates when practice rolled around.

"Me and Moreno, we're roommates, and we were up last night studying for a long time," McKinley said. "I know he wants to play, I want to play also, and you've got to know your plays to get on the field. It's a job, so we're both taking it very serious."

But no matter how much time they spent studying, the learning process for the rookies still begins on the field.

Tom Brandstater said his late-night cram session didn't stop him from having some rookie jitters.

"I want to come in and make zero mistakes from Day One, but since probably the fifth play I was no longer mistake free," Brandstater said with a laugh. "You can make a few, but like (Head) Coach (Josh) McDaniels says, if you make the same mistake over and over, it's going to be hard to find the field."

Mistakes are something McDaniels said he expects from rookies, but the idea is that they learn and grow from them before the season even begins.

"They're rookies -- they've got a long way to go, made a lot of mistakes, and that's what you expect them to do at this point in time," he said. "But there's enough to look at out there, there's some promise out there and we'll get better. I'm sure we'll make some more mistakes tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon, but they're trying. They're working hard."

And they'll continue to work hard as they head to practice number two Saturday morning. Friday was just the first step in a long journey toward the season, and in the end, Brandstater probably summed up what many of the rookies felt after Friday's session.

"I feel really good so far for Day One, but I've got a long way to go," he said. "I'm excited to get going."

QUICK HITS:

* Davis said these early mini-camps are mostly for the secondary and receivers, since the team isn't wearing pads.

"It's hard to get a good feel for what guys can do -- a lot of guys can look good in shorts, but when you put pads on it's totally different," he said. "Right now, the front seven, we're pretty much working on a lot of communication, making sure we know what we're supposed to do, making sure we're in our right gaps -- but it's helping out a lot, though."

* McDaniels said that Spencer Larsen could have a role in all three phases of the game again this season.

"Spencer has enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively and also help us in the kicking game," he said. "That doesn't just apply to Spencer -- if there's another player or players on our football team that could do that, we would welcome that, and that would improve someone's value as we take them to the game."

* Learning a thick playbook can be done. Before McKinley went on to set school records in receptions and receiving yards at South Carolina, he faced a similar challenge to the one he does now in Denver.

"Coach (Steve) Spurrier, when I first got there, his playbook was the same way," McKinley said. "It took me half the season just to really know it, so it's going to take me some time to know everything, but that's all I can do -- give 100 percent and go out there and try to do what I can do."

* Brandstater said facing a tough crowd at times at Fresno State has prepared him for what he could face at the next level in Denver.

"Fresno is a ruthless place -- they demand excellence, they demand the team to win, and 7-6 isn't good enough," he said. "I think coming into an organization like this, it's the same philosophy -- losing isn't acceptable. Coming from college and having that same mindset, it's going to be a nice transition where you know there's no excuse for losing. You've got to win games and that's the only thing that matters."

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
* McDaniels said that Spencer Larsen could have a role in all three phases of the game again this season.

"Spencer has enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively and also help us in the kicking game," he said. "That doesn't just apply to Spencer -- if there's another player or players on our football team that could do that, we would welcome that, and that would improve someone's value as we take them to the game."

:beer::beer:

JKcatch724
05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Another good find Carol :salute:

I'm glad McDaniels is giving Larsen a chance to show his versatility. I have a feeling our special teams are going to be much improved this year.

horsepig
05-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I've griped about ST's for years, it's nice to here the coach at least acknowledging they are important.

xzn
05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
We could "improve" to 31st... no where to go but up I suppose!

But seriously I do think that Coach comes from a team that emphasized ST in practice and even in the draft.

Wasn't the second assistant he hired after Nolan the new ST coach, (Preifer I think)?

broken12
05-02-2009, 09:55 AM
anyone else hear anything on how mcdougy is saying the qb cadense in meetings and making the qb repeat it and sound like him....maybe cutlers lazy talk wasnt good enough lol...he said something to the fact that he didnt want false starts because of qb cadense..

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I've griped about ST's for years, it's nice to here the coach at least acknowledging they are important.

Billie B's thoughts on it where ST's are just the first play on offense or the last play on Defense..

that is why some starters play on ST's..

I'm going to guess it will be the same way here.. best players on the field for ST duty..

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
anyone else hear anything on how mcdougy is saying the qb cadense in meetings and making the qb repeat it and sound like him....maybe cutlers lazy talk wasnt good enough lol...he said something to the fact that he didnt want false starts because of qb cadense..

I think it more now for them all wanting to be on the same page IF there is a QB change..

Lets the OLINE get used to ONE thing and one thing only..

It is attention to detail that has made NE into the powerhouse they are.. I suspect it will be done much the same way here..