PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Tim Tebow's success dropped Broncos in NFL draft order

Cugel
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Here's an article from today's Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20482681/tim-tebows-success-dropped-broncos-nfl-draft-order) that says:

Somewhere, no doubt in proximity to a spotlight, Tim Tebow is giggling. The No. 25 draft pick was Tebow's parting gift to the Broncos. . . . .

If not for Tebow, the Broncos may have been picking in the top five for a second consecutive year. They may have been picking closer to 6:30 p.m. They may have been in position to draft another Von Miller.

This is pure idiocy from several levels:

#1 -- I doubt the Broncos would have been picking in the top 5 and in any case, there aren't that many really great prospects in this year's draft.

Last year there was Dareus, Miller and Patrick Peterson available in the top 5. This year there's not ONE player of that caliber. Claiborne is the top defender and probably the ONLY defensive player to go in the top 5.

The rest will be 2 QBs, a RB and WR. Need I mention that it's highly hazardous to take a RB or WR with a top 5 pick? Or top 10 pick for that matter.

It's well documented that drafting a WR in the top 10 is more likely to result in a wasted pick or mediocre player than in getting an elite WR. Just look at Brandon Marshall coming out of the 4th round for instance. Happens all the time at WR that 2nd through 4th rounders out perform top 10 picks at WR.

Fletcher Cox might be the top DT, but is he really worth an elite pick? Opinion is divided on this. His career wasn't that great until the later part of last season and he could be a better run defender.

In short, he doesn't compare favorably as a prospect with Marcel Dareus, who was clearly without any weaknesses.

This year is a year with a lot of depth, but few elite players and even fewer on defense.

This is a good year to have a later round pick.

Second, it's doubtful that Peyton Manning would have signed with a 5-11 team. We could still be stuck with Tim Tebow.

And for all you Teboners still out there -- nobody ELSE in the NFL wants Tebow as a starter either. Outside of NY there wasn't even a market for him. :coffee:

Personally, I don't like Tebow either as a player or as a person. But, to say that he's laughing at the Broncos for getting them such a bad pick or that they could have drafted "another Von Miller" is pure stupidity. :coffee:

topscribe
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Between Mike Klis (who wrote the article) and Woody Paige, there has been a
whole lot of drum-beating for Tebow. Reality has nothing to do with it. I believe
this reader's comment below the article in the DP says it all:

There goes Klis again, just totally making things up, from Tebow's giggling to what
players the Broncos are looking at. Just name 10 players that might be there at 25,
and the Broncos are looking at them.

Not to mention that if Goodman doesn't intercept Sanchez the Broncos are picking
about 15th. Or if Barber doesn't run out of bounds. Or many others...But no, it's all
Tebow, and he's giggling. Idiot Klis

Retrieved 26 April from the Denver Post at http://tinyurl.com/6vvvl2c

SoCalImport
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Between Mike Klis (who wrote the article) and Woody Paige, there has been a
whole lot of drum-beating for Tebow. Reality has nothing to do with it. I believe
this reader's comment below the article in the DP says it all:

Retrieved 26 April from the Denver Post at http://tinyurl.com/6vvvl2c

My only exposure to the local Denver media is what I get from following links posted in here, but even I can see that Klis is a bit of a Hack

Northman
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I could see how some think that winning some ballgames hurt us in terms of draft position. However, i love to win and despite my issues with Tebow as a QB i enjoyed every minute of that special yet fluky season. I wouldnt trade it away for anything. It was the most excited i have been in a long time and now with Manning im even more excited.

OrangeHoof
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I do like TimHippo's theory that EFX was *trying* to dump their season in order to draft Luck and that Tebow ruined everything for them. Not plausible, of course, but the idea of benching your starting QB at 1-4 to play the kid you knew wasn't ready and then trading your top receiver so he'd have nobody to throw to, etc. Kinda clever if you're not paying too close attention.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Woulda been nice if Tebow would have taken his in-house propaganda writers with him to NY. Pimping Tebow gets Klis on NFLN's Top10 shows, he's clearly still trying to sell books as well. Just imagine where the Broncos would be picking if they didn't have a garbage passing game.......

topscribe
04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
My only exposure to the local Denver media is what I get from following links posted in here, but even I can see that Klis is a bit of a Hack
Actually, SoCal, Klis does have some pretty insightful things to say. It's just that he has had this inexplicable man-crush on Tebow.

BTW, you can keep up with what the Denver Post says about the Broncos here: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos

claymore
04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I could see how some think that winning some ballgames hurt us in terms of draft position. However, i love to win and despite my issues with Tebow as a QB i enjoyed every minute of that special yet fluky season. I wouldnt trade it away for anything. It was the most excited i have been in a long time and now with Manning im even more excited.

It was a fun year. Capping it off by getting Manning and Dx'ing Tebow... I couldnt be happier.

topscribe
04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I do like TimHippo's theory that EFX was *trying* to dump their season in order to draft Luck and that Tebow ruined everything for them. Not plausible, of course, but the idea of benching your starting QB at 1-4 to play the kid you knew wasn't ready and then trading your top receiver so he'd have nobody to throw to, etc. Kinda clever if you're not paying too close attention.
I don't buy that they were doing that on purpose, but I never did understand the logic in that . . .

Northman
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't buy that they were doing that on purpose, but I never did understand the logic in that . . .

People also forget it was Lloyd that wanted out. Going by the FO's behavior in regards to every player (Tebow, Royal, etc) they were happy to oblige. Why keep players that dont want to be here? Lloyd knew he was in a contract year and knew his stats would take a hit so he asked to get out.

topscribe
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
People also forget it was Lloyd that wanted out. Going by the FO's behavior in regards to every player (Tebow, Royal, etc) they were happy to oblige. Why keep players that dont want to be here? Lloyd knew he was in a contract year and knew his stats would take a hit so he asked to get out.
And I don't blame him.

Lloyd knew what some of us had to find out later . . .