PDA

View Full Version : Broncos are willing to trade out of NFL draft's first round

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Mike Shields in Torrington, Wy.

Q: I would like to see the Broncos trade out of the first round in the draft, perhaps getting the Colts' pick near the top of the second round. Any chance of that happening?

A: The Broncos are willing to trade out of the first round if they can strike a deal that benefits them. "Preferably, we'd like to go back," John Elway, the team's executive vice president of football operations, said this week.

On this year's draft board, the players listed in the bottom third of the first round will have grades similar to the players listed in the top 10 of the second round. So if you're the Broncos, there is value in trading out of the first round as long as you land near the top of the second round.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20479766/broncos-are-willing-trade-out-nfl-drafts-first

broncobryce
04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Now this I believe. Lots of good players to be had in the second round. RB's, DT's, and CB's

skins_fan82
04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Might be a good idea if the top few guys they really want aren't there

Northman
04-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I kind of hope they do it.

weazel
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I just hope they dont take that extra 3rd round pick... I think Josh was on to something!

Jsteve01
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
It's what I've been saying from the beginning. Unless a Brockers or Kirkpatrick type player slips I don't want to stay at the bottom of the first. Beyond marginal differences in the type of player you can get in the mid 20s vs the mid 30s, adding an extra 2nd/3rd rounder and not having guaranteed contracts is well worth it to me. The other beautiful thing is that there will always be a an Ingram type player who a ton of people have interest in and who will overpay.

TimHippo
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Honestly though a low 1st round pick has little value trade wise unless you are dealing agaisnt Josh McDaniels.

OrangeHoof
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Another source was told there are 22 guys in this draft who deserve a first round grade and then there's a huge pool of second rounders so unless a top player falls to them, I could easily see the Broncos trading down but perhaps having a hard time finding a partner.

New England (which has #27 and #31) is an interesting case. Would they combine the two and perhaps move into the Top 15? Or use #27 and a lower pick to move up or use #31 to trade down? I could easily see them doing any of these things.

Jsteve01
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Honestly though a low 1st round pick has little value trade wise unless you are dealing agaisnt Josh McDaniels.

false see the ingram trade last year.

Chef Zambini
04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
if the broncos covet a player in the first round, move to get him!
in the first round, you are drafting a PLAYER, not a position !
( this is where the BPA concept sprouted wings)
just heard PIOLI talk about having a target of 4-5 players in each round,' roughly 20-25 players, and manuevering to get the players you have targeted, rather than selecting from a chart from the players that have fallen to you and have ratings that are arbitrary and fail to reflect the research you have put into identifying your own targets as employees.
You end up with players, not draft positions.

DenBronx
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
If we trade from 25 down to early early 2nd round, then what could we realistically get in return?

dogfish
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
If we trade from 25 down to early early 2nd round, then what could we realistically get in return?

watch-- we're gonna trade #25 to carolina for #40 and jonathon stewart. . .

Jsteve01
04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
look at the draft value chart. we could get multiple high future picks or potentially a 2nd and a 3rd this year. Especially if a big name that we're not interested in takes a nose dive and a bidding war starts.

bcbronc
04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
I wonder if CLE would be interested in moving up from 37? Lots of talk that they want Weeden as well as a HB + WR. If they are worried someone else might jump on Weeden early in the 2nd they might be willing to give the 37 + a 3rd (or ,aybe even next years 1st) to get back into the first.

Mayock has CLE going Blackmon at 4 and Martin at 22. Getting Weeden in the first would give them first round triplets and really give them a nice PR boost.

dogfish
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
trading UP for weeden is exactly the kind of retarded move the browns would make. . . :lol::lol:

CoachChaz
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I wonder if CLE would be interested in moving up from 37? Lots of talk that they want Weeden as well as a HB + WR. If they are worried someone else might jump on Weeden early in the 2nd they might be willing to give the 37 + a 3rd (or ,aybe even next years 1st) to get back into the first.

Mayock has CLE going Blackmon at 4 and Martin at 22. Getting Weeden in the first would give them first round triplets and really give them a nice PR boost.

I think they only qualify as triplets if they are roughly the same age. More like a father and his twins

bcbronc
04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I think they only qualify as triplets if they are roughly the same age. More like a father and his twins

:lol: