PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Powell at NT

WARHORSE
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
A reminder of Powells accolades.......I think he can help in the middle, especially if he adds 15 pounds or so of muscle.......

Overview
A number of Virginia Tech outside linebackers and defensive ends have had success over the years. Oftentimes, the tireless work of the defensive tackles who constantly took on multiple blockers in order to free up their teammates to make the big plays have been overshadowed.

Because of the constant multiple coverage that they face, the Hokies' defensive tackles do not have eye-opening statistics, but head coach Frank Beamer has noted the need for his defensive tackles to dominate vs. the inside running game.

While Tech has produced quality run-stuffing tackles in recent seasons, none has shown the ability to simply shut down the opposition's ground game the way Carlton Powell, Jr. can.

How dominant has Powell been? In 73 plays that he made vs. the run, he held the opponent to minus-21 yards rushing. Since Powell was inserted into the starting lineup, Tech has led the nation in total defense the last two years (2005-06) and led the Division 1-A ranks in scoring defense in 2006, after placing second the previous two seasons.

Analysis
Positives: Has a large frame with thick thighs and calves...Possesses solid muscle tone in his lower body, with wide hips, broad shoulders and good muscle tone in his arms...Has room on his frame to add another 15 pounds of bulk without having it affect his balance or quickness...Has a strong lower body, with very good hip width...Shows good straight-line speed and explosion off the snap and does a solid job of keeping his hands inside his frame to lock on and control the blockers... Displays the lower-leg drive to split double teams and the short-area burst to close on the pocket...When he hits the gaps with his pad level down and is very good at slipping off blocks to plug the rush lanes...When he stays low in his pads, he consistently gains leverage (4.35 20-yard shuttle), as he has the flexibility and change-of-direction agility to generate good acceleration in his short-area burst...Can wear down the blockers with his leg drive and combative nature, as he shoots the gaps with good explosion and is the type that plays until the whistle, combining strength and explosive hand punch...Can gain an advantage and shows suddenness getting to the gaps due to his savvy play and anticipation skills (see 2007 Ohio University, Clemson, Boston College and 2006 North Carolina, Southern Mississippi and Virginia games)...Disruptive force in the gaps, excelling at pushing the lead blocker back to clog the rushing lanes (held opponents to minus-13 yards rushing on 106 running plays)...Strong inside run stuffer who can make plays up and down the line due to his lateral movement...Knows how to get underneath to get a piece of the blocker's pads and is very effective stacking and controling in one-on-one situations...Won't stay blocked for long when he keeps his hands active and inside his frame...Has a very strong hand punch to shock and jolt and showed vast improvement keeping his hands inside his frame in 2006...Relies more on his strength than hand placement to defeat a block, but when he is able to generate quick hand technique, he has an effective arm crossover move as a bull rusher to push the pocket...Has a good feel for playing off blocks and reacts well to block pressure...Has that explosive short-area burst to clog the rush lanes, and when he keeps his hands active, he can grab, turn, push and control the offensive linemen...When he stays low in his pads and extends his arms, he is very effective...Has the quickness to take good angles, slant and make plays down the line...Strong inside run defender who might not show the lateral range to make plays in long pursuit, but is very efficient when asked to clog the lanes between the tackles...More of a pocket-pressure type than a pass rusher, as he plays in a system that relies on him providing containment rather than generate pressure, but once he clears the lane, he shows good urgency and the ability to take angles in attempts to close...Could surprise as a pass rusher, as he shows the quick initial step to get advantage and also get on the edge of a blocker...Has effective swim-and-rip ability and good suddenness off the ball and he is more of a power-oriented type than one who would finesse...Does a good job of keeping eye contact on the quarterback to provide containment (see 2007 Clemson, Florida State and Miami and 2006 Cincinnati, Southern Mississippi and Kent State games) and has developed efficient spin moves to counter and pull away from double-team activity...Plays with good instincts, awareness and recognition, as it is rare to see him bite on play action or misdirection...Has a good feel for blocks and when he plants his feet in the ground, even double teams struggle to contain him.

Negatives: Needs to tighten the softness in his midsection...Does a good job flowing to the ball along the line, but must be more alert to keeping his pad level down...When he gets too high and narrows his base, he is susceptible to low blocks...Does not always use his hands to protect his legs from cut blocks, but he has the strength needed to neutralize (does this equally well in one-on-one situations and double teams)... When he gets too tall in his pads, he struggles to shed and stack, causing him to lose some battles in attempts to play off those blocks...Needs to be more consistent shooting his hands, as he tends to lean and give a shoulder rather than extending to play off the blocks, causing him to get washed out some vs. the more active and bigger blockers...Has the timed speed to slip through the pile and apply pressure, but his adequate change-of-direction agility sees him labor at times when he has to get in gear when working in space..Must show better hip flexibility and lateral movement in his backside pursuit before he can be given more opportunities to rush the passer.

Powell is a dominant run stuffer who does a fine job of handling double-team blocks. He needs to improve his lateral range to be more effective when chasing down plays and must use his hands better to protect himself from low blocks. But when he locks on to a blocker, he will quickly shed. Where he excels is clogging the rush lanes, as when he keeps his pads down, lead blockers are soon to be pushed back through the hole. For a team using the "under tackle" position, Powell is the perfect fit.

WARHORSE
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh, and hes a fit for the prototypical DE in a 3-4.

Watch the video on this link.

Not bad for a big boy. He can add weight.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2008/profiles/carlton-powell?id=296

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Could he play nose tackle?

I hope so...because I don't see Ronnie Fields being that "dominating presence" inside.

Buff
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
For some reason I thought he projected to DE in a 3-4... But he was 6'2" and 300 lbs when he was drafted and if he took on double teams at V-tech then he's worth a look.

Did you mean to put this in the smack forum War?

WARHORSE
05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
For some reason I thought he projected to DE in a 3-4... But he was 6'2" and 300 lbs when he was drafted and if he took on double teams at V-tech then he's worth a look.

Did you mean to put this in the smack forum War?

no........That would be stupid.

:shocked:

Er............maybe someone can m..........ove it for me. :D

xzn
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Unless I am mistaken I remember someone on this site stating that they had heard that Powell had in fact put on weight and was being looked at as a NT option.

Can anyone confirm this?

broncofaninfla
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I remember being high on this kid when we got him last year, he could very well be the NT we are hoping for.
I've seen articles on him being used as a NT and articles on him being used as a DE. Regardless of where he will fit in, it sounds like in time he could very well be a impact player.

SOCALORADO.
05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I remember being high on this kid when we got him last year, he could very well be the NT we are hoping for.
I've seen articles on him being used as a NT and articles on him being used as a DE. Regardless of where he will fit in, it sounds like in time he could very well be a impact player.

Powell is a dominant run stuffer who does a fine job of handling double-team blocks.
Sounds like a NT to me!
He has a stat i believe he has negative yards against the run while on the field.
I wonder if MCD/Nolan were so impressed with him prior to the draft, that he just felt he had his NT.

Dortoh
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Powell is a dominant run stuffer who does a fine job of handling double-team blocks.
Sounds like a NT to me!
He has a stat i believe he has negative yards against the run while on the field.
I wonder if MCD/Nolan were so impressed with him prior to the draft, that he just felt he had his NT.

It is true something like when he was on the field the opposing teams yards per carry up the middle was a negative number.

He is very strong at the point of attack.

Time will tell

DenBronx
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
at this point do we even have a choice? fields and powell seem to be what were settling on.

its powell or bust.

SOCALORADO.
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
at this point do we even have a choice? fields and powell seem to be what were settling on.

its powell or bust.

YEP. Lets hope he can put on 20 LBS and clog!!! :defense:

dogfish
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
IMO he's too short for the five-technique. . . those guys are almost always 6'4", 6'5" plus. . . . braod and squatty isn't so bad at the nose, but he really needs to beef up some if he's still at 300. . . .