PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith the 11th best draft choice in the entire draft?

honz
04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes, according to these guys...

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?id=2009NFLDraft

P.S. I found this by way of Burger Bill's blog. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest)

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
about right.. just a five measley spots over Knowshon

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
wow.. and even Mr Irrelevant beat out Ayers.... Hmmm

honz
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Easy killer. It's just a fun little article.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Easy killer. It's just a fun little article.

heh.. I know. I just found it funny that mr irrelevant was where he was..... :beer:

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, according to these guys...

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?id=2009NFLDraft

P.S. I found this by way of Burger Bill's blog. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest)

I'm still reading, but I like that they offer a track record of past performance. Like I mentioned in the draft grades thread--most 'experts' are glad no one is keeping score.

DenBronx
05-01-2009, 01:45 PM
this is the same guy that ranks ayers at 66?

what a joke.

smith will be a bust and basically we got nothing for cutler. what a joke indeed....

should have just traded the 1st for peppers.

shank
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
even if you don't like the value, there is nothing at this point that would even cause a bronco fan to worry about smith busting. he's done nothing but produce his entire career.

CoachChaz
05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Where can I find a crystal ball? Everyone else has one and I want one...just cant seem to find it. Really wish I had a way to know for sure that a stud corner with every intangible other than maximum height would immediately be a bust.

CoachChaz
05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
even if you don't like the value, there is nothing at this point that would even cause a bronco fan to worry about smith busting. he's done nothing but produce his entire career.

Yeah, but his name isnt Brace, Maualuga or Brown and he wasnt the one they wanted...therefore he is guaranteed to suck.

Dirk
05-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Where can I find a crystal ball? Everyone else has one and I want one...just cant seem to find it. Really wish I had a way to know for sure that a stud corner with every intangible other than maximum height would immediately be a bust.

No need to find a crystal ball....I use tea leaves and an old gym sock...

shank
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
No need to find a crystal ball....I use tea leaves and an old gym sock...

you sound like clay. except for the tea leaves.

Dirk
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
you sound like clay. except for the tea leaves.

:laugh:

shank
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
heh.. I know. I just found it funny that mr irrelevant was where he was..... :beer:

it's because the rankings are based on predicted production. it's "easy" to get in there and produce stats as a kicker, all you have to do is make it through camp.

DenBronx
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
im just saying i would have rather at least got a guy like peppers who has proven time and time again that he can be an unstoppable force in this league.

is peppers or smith going to make a bigger impact?

plus yeah i'm one of the few that seem to think d-line and lb's are more of a need to the team instead of a 5'9 db who was a 2nd round prospect. he just seems to be d-will v2 and that's not really a good thing.

heck i'd would have rather seen us deal a 2nd for boldin!

xzn
05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Give Smith a chance. I admit that the tint of my :cool: shades are :salute: orange colored but I have a good feeling about him.

Lonestar
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
furthure down the report was this..

Maybe the Alphonso Smith trade was worth it

April 30, 2009 4:59 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

This one has been flying around the NFL Blog Network Thursday. I thought I'd join the party.

The people at WhatIfSports.com have played out the 2009 season a whopping 10,000 times to figure out the 100 most productive choices of the 2009 draft.

According to this process, the Broncos didn't do so poorly in trading their No.1 pick next year to Seattle for Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith, who was taken with 37th choice. Smith is No. 11 on this list.

Much-criticized Oakland pick, Darrius Heyward-Bey, is No. 21, right around where he was expected to be taken. Michael Crabtree, who Oakland bypassed at No. 7 to take Heyward-Bey, ranks No. 1. He was taken with the 10th pick by San Francisco.

Check out the rest of the list to see where other AFC West draftees rank.

CoachChaz
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
im just saying i would have rather at least got a guy like peppers who has proven time and time again that he can be an unstoppable force in this league.

plus yeah i'm one of the few that seem to think d-line and lb's are more of a need to the team instead of a 5'9 db who was a 2nd round prospect. he just seems to be d-will v2 and that's not really a good thing.

Maybe for a handful of teams, but the average consensus had him as a late forst rounder and some had him as the top CB. You really think Vontae Davis is better? no way

DenBronx
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Maybe for a handful of teams, but the average consensus had him as a late forst rounder and some had him as the top CB. You really think Vontae Davis is better? no way

right now the biggest reason i dont agree with the pick is because mcdaniels basically signed alot of secondary guys in free agency. then trades away next years natural 1st. why not address the more pressing needs in the draft if you have already signed a bunch of scrub db's, safties and wr's?

and yes we should have taken ron brace. brace and ayers would have helped this line alot better than ayers and smith.

DenBronx
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
im not even really upset at this pick as much as i am us trading up for the TE.

shank
05-01-2009, 02:11 PM
right now the biggest reason i dont agree with the pick is because mcdaniels basically signed alot of secondary guys in free agency. then trades away next years natural 1st. why not address the more pressing needs in the draft if you have already signed a bunch of scrub db's, safties and wr's?

and yes we should have taken ron brace. brace and ayers would have helped this line alot better than ayers and smith.

you answered your own question

CoachChaz
05-01-2009, 02:17 PM

What the hell makes Dawkins, Hill and Goodman scrubs?

Regardless. All 4 projected starters are over 30. Having youth to learn from Champ and Dawk is a wise move. We are young everywhere but there, so it makes total sense to get depth talent for the secondary.

Brace is overrated

shank
05-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Regardless. All 4 projected starters are over 30. Having youth to learn from Champ and Dawk is a wise move. We are young everywhere but there, so it makes total sense to get depth talent for the secondary.

Brace is overrated

just to clarify, i wasn't calling them scrubs (i was just pointing out that if he feels taht way, then he answered his own question). but you're right they are up there in age. there's nothing wrong with planning for the future. it's pretty clear at this point that McD and Nolan didn't like many of the front 7 players in the draft/FA or that they are confident in the players they already have. if it doesn't work out, then we can address it next offseason with a deeper draft, and in the meantime we have some young talented DBs learning their positions while working with 2 future HOFers.

T.K.O.
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
just to clarify, i wasn't calling them scrubs (i was just pointing out that if he feels taht way, then he answered his own question). but you're right they are up there in age. there's nothing wrong with planning for the future. it's pretty clear at this point that McD and Nolan didn't like many of the front 7 players in the draft/FA or that they are confident in the players they already have. if it doesn't work out, then we can address it next offseason with a deeper draft, and in the meantime we have some young talented DBs learning their positions while working with 2 future HOFers.

we have 2 future hof'ers
i know one,who's the other?:confused:
oh wait i answered my own question to
you must mean dawkins at s

shank
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
we have 2 future hof's at db ?
i know one,who's the other?:confused:

champ and dawkins

T.K.O.
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
champ and dawkins

gotcha... i just hope dawkins gets a couple rings in denver then retires a bronco!:salute:

shank
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
gotcha... i just hope dawkins gets a couple rings in denver then retires a bronco!:salute:

that would be such a burn to philly, but i'd def be ok with it lol.

xzn
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Philly fans can go pound sand.

weazel
05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
according to my friend Gertrude, Smith was the 78th best player in the draft, so I'm really not sold.

Never Trust a Snake
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Brace is overrated

From a purely football standpoint, Smith was indeed an excellent pick. Fresh legs are always welcomed in the secondary, and Denver was in need of some sping chickens like both of you noted.

Mike Lombardi, on NFL Network, said Smith reminded McDaniels of Asante Samuel. He's a pesky little shit that likes to harass receivers, has plus instincts and outstanding ball skills.

rcsodak
05-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Sounds like you just want a BIG NAME player.

This isn't Fantasy Football. Dwill wasn't known until he MADE his name known.

Same with Brady, TD, Cassel, Mecklenberg, et al.

I'd bet just as many BIG NAME players fail (epically) as do no-name players.

The difference????

The BIG NAME players cost the club more money.

Relax, Francis. :D

topscribe
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
this is the same guy that ranks ayers at 66?

what a joke.

smith will be a bust and basically we got nothing for cutler. what a joke indeed....

should have just traded the 1st for peppers.

The same guy that had Albert ranked above Clady last year . . .

-----

horsepig
05-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Who cares where some big headed dolt had a guy ranked? Who had TD or Brady ranked as the best of their drafts?

T.K.O.
05-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Who cares where some big headed dolt had a guy ranked? Who had TD or Brady ranked as the best of their drafts?

the brady's and td's are rare,but i do agree who cares ,most "experts "are lucky if they're right 25% of the time about draft picks .and coaches would be happy to hit on 50%.
so if 5 of our picks make a difference on the team ...it was a good draft
if we get a td type player in any round,its a once in a decade draft !
p.s. you have to pick a new adopted bronco....selvin is history...kinda sad i hope he doesnt go somewhere else and get that 2000 yd season he wanted