PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut Selvin Young!

DJMarshall24
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
From denverbroncos.com

The Broncos announced on Thursday that running back Selvin Young has been waived.

Young joined the Broncos in 2007 as a college free agent from the University of Texas. He played 23 games (13 starts) in two seasons with Denver, totaling 201 rushes for 1,032 yards (5.1 avg.) with two touchdowns and 38 receptions for 247 yards (6.5 avg.).

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/young-waived/

The Broncos announced on Thursday that running back Selvin Young has been waived.

Young joined the Broncos in 2007 as a college free agent from the University of Texas. He played 23 games (13 starts) in two seasons with Denver, totaling 201 rushes for 1,032 yards (5.1 avg.) with two touchdowns and 38 receptions for 247 yards (6.5 avg.).

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Expected. Torain is probably next.

BroncoBJ
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Damn.. I'm still waiting for his 2000 Yard season. :sad: Sad day in Broncos Country.

claymore
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Peace Out Selvin. Good luck selling cars. :salute:

Shazam!
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
This is just the beginning.

honz
04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
No surprise. It was just a matter of time. He'll have to get his 2000 yards elsewhere.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Selvin had a 5.1 career YPC!

BTW, Selvin's jerseys are dirt cheap:

http://stores.specialjersey.com/-strse-NFL-Jerseys-cln-Denver-Broncos/Categories.bok

shank
04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
expected, but i'm not happy to see him go. selvin is a good guy and a pretty good football player.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=honz;647995]No surprise. It was just a matter of time. He'll have to get his 2000 yards elsewhere.[/QUOTE

Maybe Houston - with Kubs, but I do hate to see him go

honz
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, nothing against Selvin...I liked him and he seems to be a good guy...but the writing was on the wall even before we drafted Moreno.

Dreadnought
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
expected, but i'm not happy to see him go. selvin is a good guy and a pretty good football player.

Agreed, and yet we paid actual cash money to bring a career stiff like JJ Arrington here. :tsk:

LoyalSoldier
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Expected. Torain is probably next.

Torain might get the benefit of being a second year player. Though if he can make it through the preseason we will have to see.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.denver.broncos.2.998524.html

The Broncos began thinning its stable of running backs on Thursday. After two seasons with the Broncos, Selvin Young was released by the team after he failed his physical.

Young's chances of remaining in Denver were lessened considerable when new head coach Josh McDaniels signed several running backs in free agency and used the team's number one pick in the recent draft to select Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno.

Young started the first five games in 2008, rushing for 303 yards on 61 carries. But injuries would sideline him for much of the rest of the season. The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.

Today, his Broncos career officially came to an end.

Young grew up in the Houston area and starred for the University of Texas. There's been speculation that he could wind up with his hometown Houston Texans.

CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers communicated with Young on Thursday after news of his release. He told Reggie that going to the Texans..."would be a dream come true. But I have to get healthy first."

roomemp
04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Agreed, and yet we paid actual cash money to bring a career stiff like JJ Arrington here. :tsk:

Too bad Selvin goes out with an injury anytime anybody lays a finger on him. :laugh:

honz
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Failed his physical? I wonder what's wrong with him...no way his groin injury is still lingering.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Too bad Selvin goes out with an injury anytime anybody lays a finger on him. :laugh:

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.

bcbronc
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I hope Young gets healthy and gets another shot. he's definitely a talented football player if his body would ever cooperate.

topscribe
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
It's a sad day for me. I think the world of that kid. He's a good kid.

-----

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
im glad we are dumping all these scrubs that would not start for any other team in the league

our broncos were in a lot worse shape than any of us let ourselves believe

farewell crappy RBs

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a sad day for me. I think the world of that kid. He's a good kid.

-----

Good kid, mediocre football player.

Broncolingus
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Wow...

Figured yesterday he would've been cut during Training Camp...

I don't know shit.

atwater27
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
5.1 ypc. The kid didn't suck. 5.1
5.1 that is a freaking lofty average.
He will succeed with another team.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
5.1 ypc. The kid didn't suck. 5.1
5.1 that is a freaking lofty average.
He will succeed with another team.

Selvin Young is Tatum Bell Jr. Him and Tater will probably open a cell phone store together.

broncogirl7
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Sad to see Selvin go, but having Moreno is so freaking exciting that I'll get over my sadness.

Magnificent Seven
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM

I feel ya.

D1g1tal j1m
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
McD is paring the roster of Shan's projects.

Young was a nice guy but didn't have the production when he was given the opportunity to take over the starting role.

Dreadnought
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Selvin Young is Tatum Bell Jr. Him and Tater will probably open a cell phone store together.

Again I repeat. Tatum was a pretty good RB, at times great, yet we didn't even bother giving him a shot to play for a job. And here come Jordan and Arrington. Rock stupid management at work

dogfish
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
somewhere, HD is weeping softly. . . .

claymore
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Again I repeat. Tatum was a pretty good RB, at times great, yet we didn't even bother giving him a shot to play for a job. And here come Jordan and Arrington. Rock stupid management at work

He did good last year, ate the humble pie etc... I hope he doesnt get cut before camp. Id like to see what he can do if he gives it his all.

honz
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Tater is a dime a dozen back in this league that steals his teammates' luggage.

Dreadnought
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Tater is a dime a dozen back in this league that steals his teammates' luggage.

Can't argue the luggage part :laugh:

I wouldn't let him house-sit for me, but he is far from a dime a dozen back. The guy hit the hole quick, and had real breakaway ability. His 2005 season was flat amazing.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't let him house-sit for me, but he is far from a dime a dozen back. The guy hit the hole quick, and had real breakaway ability. His 2005 season was flat amazing.

In addition, Tatum Bell gave us the only thing to cheer about in that dreadful 2008 finale in San Diego.

honz
04-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Tater could make something happen when he had a nice hole to run through, but so could Mike Anderson, Quentin Griffith, PJ Pope, Andre Hall, Ryan Torain, Ruben Droughns, etc...

BroncosRockdaRockies
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Tater could make something happen when he had a nice hole to run through, but so could Mike Anderson, Quentin Griffith, PJ Pope, Andre Hall, Ryan Torain, Ruben Droughns, etc...

Torain? There is no way in hell you can compare Ryan Torain with a Veteran RB like Tater sorry he can't even finish a whole year BS how people ride Torains Jock he shouldv'e been gone loooooong B4 Selvin IMO!:mad:

Dreadnought
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM

tater wasn't going to run over a ton of guys (though Ray Lewis in 06 got flattened by him pretty nicely) but he needed a small hole, ran north and south, cut decisively, and had speed. good breakaway back

claymore
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Torain? There is no way in hell you can compare Ryan Torain with a Veteran RB like Tater sorry he can't even finish a whole year BS how people ride Torains Jock he shouldv'e been gone loooooong B4 Selvin IMO!:mad:

Man, that really sucks when you cant compare your career to TB's. LOL

honz
04-30-2009, 06:42 PM

That wasn't my point at all. I was just saying that Tater is no better than the rest of the no name running backs we've had come through here.

Grover
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd like to get back to Selvin Young for a moment.

Some of the apparent disrespect he's generating in this thread really concerns. Selvin suffered a neck injury in a game late last year - ruptured disk or something like that.

I saw him on TV coming off the field flexing his fingers on both hands - he was numb and had lost some feeling. He was one of our only active running backs that day, so he came back in and completed the game. I admired his courage that day and felt that the team's trainers were not looking after his best interests. But Selvin did his best to take care of the team, and risked his health to do so.

One classy player in my opinion. I hope he does get healthy and back into football.

honz
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd like to get back to Selvin Young for a moment.

Some of the apparent disrespect he's generating in this thread really concerns. Selvin suffered a neck injury in a game late last year - ruptured disk or something like that.

I saw him on TV coming off the field flexing his fingers on both hands - he was numb and had lost some feeling. He was one of our only active running backs that day, so he came back in and completed the game. I admired his courage that day and felt that the team's trainers were not looking after his best interests. But Selvin did his best to take care of the team, and risked his health to do so.

One classy player in my opinion. I hope he does get healthy and back into football.
True. I do remember that now. Hopefully he can get healthy and find another home.

NameUsedBefore
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM
He was a Shanny player so no surprise. As said, Torain is probably next on the chopping block.

honz
04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Every player he is going to cut until training camp was a "Shanny Player"...duh. Plus, he failed his physical...

topscribe
04-30-2009, 07:23 PM

At the end of last year, I thought Tater was showing signs of performing like
the 2nd rounder the Broncos had drafted. To send him down the road for
those guys, well . . . :tsk:

-----

Tned
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Torain might get the benefit of being a second year player. Though if he can make it through the preseason we will have to see.

I hope Torain sticks. While we have the three vets (I figure at best two stay on the team -- Arington has no guaranteed money, so he is most likely to go), it would be nice to see Torain get one more year, as if he gets healthy, he, Moreno and Hillis could be a good backfield for years to come.

BFI
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I hope Young gets healthy and gets to play more football.

Sad to see him go.

If he's not healthy enough to compete (and he knows it), there is no use keeping him on the roster.

Let the others battle it out.

Best of luck, Selvin!:beer:

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
At the end of last year, I thought Tater was showing signs of performing like
the 2nd rounder the Broncos had drafted. To send him down the road for
those guys, well . . . :tsk:

-----

*barf*

no one else liked him either

he sucks and he is a disgrace of a football player

hell, he asked for #7 when after he was drafted (for real), he is a moron

topscribe
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
*barf*

no one else liked him either

he sucks and he is a disgrace of a football player

hell, he asked for #7 when after he was drafted (for real), he is a moron

You know, I don't really care what Tater's IQ is or what number he asked for.
All I care about is, during the seven games he dressed up, he averaged 5.7
YPC and had 10 receptions. And that was being totally out of shape and rusty
the first three or four games of that stretch. That's all I care about.

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i wish him the best, but he is a dime a dozen.

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
You know, I don't really care what Tater's IQ is or what number he asked for.
All I care about is, during the seven games he dressed up, he averaged 5.7
YPC and had 10 receptions. And that was being totally out of shape and rusty
the first three or four games of that stretch. That's all I care about.

-----

wow thats awesome he should be in the hall of fame

topscribe
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
wow thats awesome he should be in the hall of fame

I don't understand some of the inane comments around here.

All I was getting at was that I believe those numbers merited for him a longer
look. That's all I was saying.

As for you, I still don't know what the hell you're getting at. :whoknows:

-----

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't understand some of the inane comments around here.

All I was getting at was that I believe those numbers merited for him a longer
look. That's all I was saying.

As for you, I still don't know what the hell you're getting at. :whoknows:

-----

i will answer both questions

tatum bell sucks as an nfl running back, he was a bust, he was cut thrice now and no one wants him

maybe you think hes a great guy and all that (he is a thief) but whatever

he will never play in this league again because he is not able to be a good football player and everyone in the world knows it

there

honz
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
If Bell was that good he would have an NFL contract right now...

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
As for Tatum, I liked him the second time around.

He gave his all.

" You can't go down " said Shanny

"I won't" said Bell

He was the last option we had, we had run out of bullets.

This wasn't "run with reckless abandon"

This was, protect the rock, don't take the hard hit, live to play another down.

5.7 ypc ?

The man has my respect.

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
As for Tatum, I liked him the second time around.

He gave his all.

" You can't go down " said Shanny

"I won't" said Bell

He was the last option we had, we had run out of bullets.

This wasn't "run with reckless abandon"

This was, protect the rock, don't take the hard hit, live to play another down.

5.7 ypc ?

The man has my respect.

i want the movie rights

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
anyone who says tatum bell was a good nfl running back should not be allowed to post in the "football" themed forums on this site

he got cut by the freakin 0-16 lions
just sayin

topscribe
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM

tatum bell sucks as an nfl running back, he was a bust, he was cut thrice now and no one wants him

he will never play in this league again because he is not able to be a good football player and everyone in the world knows it

there

Put words into my mouth, then argue with what you put there. Makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

All I said is that I believe he should have gotten a longer look. That's all I said.

-----

Timmy!
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Some of you guys crack me up. Selvin was nothing special.

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Put words into my mouth, then argue with what you put there. Makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

All I said is that I believe he should have gotten a longer look. That's all I said.

-----

see above :welcome:

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I do think Tatum should have at least gotten an invite to camp. He probably wouldn't have made the team but I liked what he did at the end of last year and it would have been interesting to see him compete. I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't get a shot but it would be cool.

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
As for Selvin.

I saw him at the Minn game in 07.

He was absolutely on top of his game.

He could juke on the fly, in the hole, switched gears with ease.

I thought he was great, I felt like we found our answer at RB.

I don't know what happened in 08, but he didn't look the same.....at all.

He looked injured.

No moves, no burst.

I hope he can get healthy because he was a pleasure to watch, I would definately pick him up, cuz.....if he gets back to 07 form.........

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Saw it coming. It's really ashamed that injuries plagued Selvin Young...because with his blend of speed and break-tackling ability he would've been a pretty good player. Unfortunately he gets injured much too often.

Good player...I have nothing against him and hope he has success wherever he lands :salute:

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
As for Selvin.

I saw him at the Minn game in 07.

He was absolutely on top of his game.

He could juke on the fly, in the hole, switched gears with ease.

I thought he was great, I felt like we found our answer at RB.

I don't know what happened in 08, but he didn't look the same.....at all.

He looked injured.

No moves, no burst.

I hope he can get healthy because he was a pleasure to watch, I would definately pick him up, cuz.....if he gets back to 07 form.........

let me finish that sentence for you....

nothing

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
But I do understand the need to cut a few guys loose...........

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
topscribe did you delete your "pissing contest" post? ashamed?

you think he deserves a look

i (and everyone else in the NFL) thinks he sucks

no biggie, you are entitled to your opinion

topscribe
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
topscribe did you delete your "pissing contest post"?

i (And everyone else in the NFL) thinks he sucks

I was responding to a post about Selvin, and I was talking about Tater. Got all
mixed up. That's why I deleted it.

-----

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
yep, sometimes it's best to get rid of some guys.......

topscribe
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
yep, sometimes it's best to get rid of some guys.......

Or sometimes a post about the wrong guy . . . :D

-----

Reidman
04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Damn.. I'm still waiting for his 2000 Yard season. :sad: Sad day in Broncos Country.

Not sure why but I found this funny....

Young was on IR to end the season, no big surprise...

JJ, Jordan and Co. and should be getting the boot as well

BroncosRockdaRockies
05-01-2009, 06:50 AM

there

Oh but Marshall has been in trouble with the law how many times now? But I bet you think he is the greatest? Yeah lets keep putting Marshall up on this pedastal while he gets suspended and puts our team in a worst situation? Did anyone notice btw that first game without Marshall was the biggest point spread in the whole season and it was against a Div Rival? Ship his arse to the Bears too for all I care.

Elevation inc
05-01-2009, 07:04 AM
personally the guy was nice but he sucked on the field becasue of injury he is like boss bailey a good player when healthy but just cant stay healthy. the neck thing was bad break ,but things like claimin he will run for 2000 yds really turned me off. he had neither the open field break speed, consistent vision or power for those numbers.

he was cut because outside of his cut ability and okay hands he wasnt worth much. his running was stale at times and his vision wasnt very good. his power was non-existent, his best plays were tosses or screen passes. or when there was a ten yd hole the O-line created.

you can stick on his 5.1 YPC but in the NFL yds dont matter scoring does, just ask cutler......in 201 carries selvin had 1 TD, thats very bad depsite his YPC. not to mention he couldnt pass block well at all, and his hands were mediocre.

Buckhalter is a complete back upgrade over young, jordan is a upgrade power back over pittman or hall, arrington is a change of pace KR back thats it.

its quite clear we upgraded the talent of our back-ups while drafting our franchsie back in moreno, why the rest of the blind analysts cant see this amazes me. every team usually runs 4 plus backs we simply upgraded our 2-4 backs, while drafting our franchise runner in moreno.

the other runners we had were shanny backs, torain is here simply becasue he is much better than selvin, tatum, or hall and pittman when healthy.....if he doesnt stay healthy he is gone and we end up with 4 RB's and a Hybrid in hillis. sounds good to me.

the 1 cut UDFA light weight trash runners is a thing that left with shanny. Personally i cant say that upsets me.....this team is trying to get physical outside of pittman and possibly torain th otehr backs dont fit that mold at all

broncofaninfla
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I wish Selvin the best but the neck injury won't be healed until Sept. most teams will have thier rosters set by then.

I'm thinking Torain will be given a chance to show what he can do and maybe even show cased during the preseason to increase his trade stock. Jordon is supposed to be the tough yards back but Hillis is bigger, stronger, faster and younger. It would make more sense to trade or cut Jordan than Hillis. The Saints are looking for a tough yards back, I'd trade Jordan in a heart beat.

atwater27
05-01-2009, 07:49 AM
[B]you can stick on his 5.1 YPC but in the NFL yds dont matter scoring does, just ask cutler......

Please. Ask Cutler what? How was the weather at the Pro Bowl?

atwater27
05-01-2009, 07:50 AM
topscribe did you delete your "pissing contest" post? ashamed?

i (and everyone else in the NFL) thinks he sucks

Hot Carl, NFL insider, mover and shaker.

Elevation inc
05-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Please. Ask Cutler what? How was the weather at the Pro Bowl?

that was just lame:confused:, i wasnt knocking cutler i was simply stating that in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter how many yds he threw for or how many yds this offense got, had we been better than 16th in scoring we probally wouldnt be having this conversaion as we would have won a bit more and left san diego out of it.

i like cutler and still do, dont take a unbiased view and twist it like im attacking someone. its quite true cutler gets kncoked for not scoring more and helping the o to score more becasue of turnovers. doesnt mean i agree with that but it does mean that its a well rounded opinon to many people.

Traveler
05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
It'll be wasted money if he get's cut, but I really see no place for Jordan on this team now. Unless Hillis gets sent packing. Jordan<Hillis.

TXBRONC
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
It's not surprising, that Selvin got cut.

Dirk
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
It's not surprising, that Selvin got cut.

Yeah I agree. I like the kid but I never was sold on him from the begining.

I wish him well and hopefully he can go to the Texans so he can be close to home! :salute:

topscribe
05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Hot Carl, NFL insider, mover and shaker.

Not to mention not honest about my opinions. All I said was that I thought
Tater deserved a longer look, and Carl had me setting Tater up as a god. I
really did not appreciate that.

-----

hotcarl
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Not to mention not honest about my opinions. All I said was that I thought
Tater deserved a longer look, and Carl had me setting Tater up as a god. I
really did not appreciate that.

-----

awww im sorry. its just that we disagree on your point. he sucks and deserves nothing. agree to disagree.

BroncoTech
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
It's true Shanny collected too many strays. I wonder if Josh isn't doing the same with the likes of Jordan. I doubt Jordan is even trade material.

getlynched47
05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
It's true Shanny collected too many strays. I wonder if Josh isn't doing the same with the likes of Jordan. I doubt Jordan is even trade material.

We should have never signed Lamont Jordan :tsk:

Peyton Hillis can do just fine with those 3rd and 1 conversions...eff Jordan.