PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Wired during first mini camp

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
This is interesting - McDaniels wired during first mini camp.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
One thing that I noticed - he is definitely involved - rather than just standing on the side observing.

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
One thing that I noticed - he is definitely involved - rather than just standing on the side observing.

yeah i heard he was "wired"

LRtagger
04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
That was pretty cool...thanks for posting Carol

Dirk
04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the link Carol....I liked the fact he was there "coaching" and involved running around with the players some.

honz
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I was just gonna post this...pretty cool to see the team in action a bit. Maybe we should line up McD at DB in nickel or dime situations! :lol:

Also, I noticed that Scheff was there. For some reason I was under the impression that he didn't attend the mini camp.

Dirk
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Also, I noticed that Scheff was there. For some reason I was under the impression that he didn't attend the mini camp.

Guess he figured he wasn't going anywhere...:lol:

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
LMFAO that was painful to watch. If I was Kyle Orton..I'd be asking McDaniels "WTF? Are we 10 years old here?"

McDaniels :lol: "Hey hey hey! Other hand please! Thank you..."

claymore
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
LMFAO that was painful to watch. If I was Kyle Orton..I'd be asking McDaniels "WTF? Are we 10 years old here?"

This is his best chance he has to start in the NFL. If he can get past it, and earn McD's trust, sky is the limit.

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
let me wire him up

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
"Under center, never from the shotgun".

Shotgun is Denver Broncos football. **** this guy.

Dirk
04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
:tsk:

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 04:46 PM

:lol:

That's really all I can say about this post. You'd probably criticize him on how he prepares his breakfast in the morning if there was a video of it.

honz
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM

It's called practice...working on footwork, ya know? Any chump can throw out of the shotgun.

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
LMFAO that was painful to watch. If I was Kyle Orton..I'd be asking McDaniels "WTF? Are we 10 years old here?"McDaniels :lol: "Hey hey hey! Other hand please! Thank you..."

WHY?

DO you think he knows the system inside and out?

Thats what REAL coaches do.. tell the players what is expected out of them.. how THEY want it done..

Perhaps one of the reason Josh is here and another whom shall remain nameless is not..

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

what ever Josh says is BRONCOS football..

do it his way or hit the bricks..

McKeough
04-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Ahhh, I didn't like that either. Ha...

But damn, some of those throws were off target... with no pass-rush or coverage. Yay!

And Tony Scheffler looked PISSED when he was near McDaniels. HA!

claymore
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
WHY?

Thats what REAL coaches do.. tell the players what is expected out of them.. how THEY want it done..

Perhaps one of the reason Josh is here and another whom shall remain nameless is not..

THAT remains to be seen!

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Ahhh, I didn't like that either. Ha...

But damn, some of those throws were off target... with no pass-rush or coverage. Yay!

And Tony Scheffler looked PISSED when he was near McDaniels. HA!

you could tell that from looking at his BUTT:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
THAT remains to be seen!

do you think that while he is here he will be allowing folks to do it any other way than what he wants done?

claymore
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
do you think that while he is here he will be allowing folks to do it any other way than what he wants done?

Not right away, but eventually trust has to be established. I like the wake up call. Eventually relationships will be developed.

The past is what it is, and allot is on the line, but I like how EVERYONE knows who the boss is. No more questions on age.

Peerless
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
What was he talking about.. "Other hand please?"

Did Kyle pull a Jake Plummer? :lol:

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
It's called practice...working on footwork, ya know? Any chump can throw out of the shotgun.

Its actually harder to read a defeense from the shotgun than it is under center.

THe Shotgun may give you that time away from a heavy fast rush, but you have to take your eyes OFF the defense to catch the ball, and then re-establish site with what you were reading again. You lose that second.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
WHY?

Maybe so. But lets not jump on a ship and call anyone a 'real' anything until its actually proved. Just like some were saying about the draft choices, its a wait and see.

GEM
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I dunno about some of the rest of you, but it was good to see him out there WITH the guys. Running routes, blocking receivers. I think that will build something with these guys.

Give the guy a chance. I mean what other choice do we have but to give him a chance.

Sit and bitch and moan about every little thing he does or kick back and see where it actually takes us and when he fails you have reason to.

BTW....you can't see Scheffler's face when they are near each other....and there is a HUGE difference. Scheffler put his own bs to the side and SHOWED UP.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 05:32 PM

"commited to winning"

**** this guy !!!!!!!!!!! :tsk:

mopatt24
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I dunno about some of the rest of you, but it was good to see him out there WITH the guys. Running routes, blocking receivers. I think that will build something with these guys.

Give the guy a chance. I mean what other choice do we have but to give him a chance.

Sit and bitch and moan about every little thing he does or kick back and see where it actually takes us and when he fails you have reason to.

BTW....you can't see Scheffler's face when they are near each other....and there is a HUGE difference. Scheffler put his own bs to the side and SHOWED UP.

Very well said Ms. Mod:salute:

That might have been painful for some of you here, but I thought it was pretty nice seeing him out there in the players faces. He's a good coach, some of you just gotta get over the JC thang

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I will be the one laughing to the bank when McDumbass goes 1-15 and this entire forum will be joining me on the CAN HIM bandwagon.

Zweems56
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I will be the one laughing to the bank when McDumbass goes 1-15 and this entire forum will be joining me on the CAN HIM bandwagon.

He's the coach of the denver broncos. If you're a fan, you should wish him success, not failure. His questionable moves may yet turn out well. But I guess its easy for you to see the glass completely empty.

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM

So you'll be happy if we lose this year! Solid fan!

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Your going to laugh if the Broncos go 1-15. Since when did we let Raider fans on the forum?

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
He's the coach of the denver broncos. If you're a fan, you should wish him success, not failure. His questionable moves may yet turn out well. But I guess its easy for you to see the glass completely empty.

Some Broncos fans think coach McDaniels is hurting the Broncos organization. I think we can understand that feeling, but none of us can understand that a Broncos fan could have a feeling so strong as to hope the Broncos lose 15 games in a season just so they can validate their belief.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM

The way I see it:

One bad year > Three bad seasons

The Broncos' long-term well being is contingent on getting McDaniels out the door asap. 1-15 will do the trick.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
So you'll be happy if we lose this year! Solid fan!

I'm not happy about 1-15. I'm only being realistic. This team is now dependent on a below-average QB with a career 55% completion percentage.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Your going to laugh if the Broncos go 1-15. Since when did we let Raider fans on the forum?

Actually, I hope Denver goes 6-10.

I want Denver to sweep Oakland, Kansas City and San Diego and I will be a happy fan.

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
The way I see it:

The Broncos' long-term well being is contingent on getting McDaniels out the door asap. 1-15 will do the trick.

Yes, you are right. There is clear, unambiguous evidence that McDaniels can never bring home a championship, and zero evidence that he actually can bring us a championship. Now that I have seen this incontrovertible evidence, I agree with you totally. /sarcasm off

What has he done to earn utter condemnation? What has he done to earn your unwavering vitriol?

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM

I want Denver to sweep Oakland, Kansas City and San Diego and I will be a happy fan.

What a weirdo

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
What has he done to earn utter condemnation? What has he done to earn your unwavering vitriol?

I was on board with McDaniels until he started his rift with Jay Cutler.

Shanahan was right, a top five QB helps a franchise compete for a 10-15 year span.

McDaniels decreased the Broncos' odds of winning over the long-haul. The Broncos are back to having Griese and Plummer behind center. That scenario doesn't work unless a team has a top three defense. And Denver isn't anywhere close to having a defense of that caliber.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM

I usually hope for a Super Bowl victory but that is just me

milehigh
04-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Wow you really made a big jump there because he wants one drill to be done under center! Oh no! Don't assume because it makes an ass out of u and me.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I usually hope for a Super Bowl victory but that is just me

It's not happening with Kyle Orton. The crappy quarterback who averages 5.8 yards per pass attempt over his career.

Zweems56
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
The way I see it:

Or, he can be successful and continue the trend. But you know.... 1-15 is the way to go.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
It's not happening with Kyle Orton. The crappy quarterback who averages 5.8 yards per pass attempt over his career.

Doesn't Orton have a really good record as a starter?

P.S.-Orton's top WR in Chicago was Devin Hester for gods sake

Chris90210
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I saw hillis:beer:

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Doesn't Orton have a really good record as a starter?

P.S.-Orton's top WR in Chicago was Devin Hester for gods sake

The Bears' defense and special teams won those games, not Orton and Chicago's dreadful offense.

Best case scenario, Orton has a career year and he's a top 10-12 quarterback. That formula will still come up short with the defense that Denver has.

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I was on board with McDaniels until he started his rift with Jay Cutler.

Shanahan was right, a top five QB helps a franchise compete for a 10-15 year span.

McDaniels decreased the Broncos' odds of winning over the long-haul. The Broncos are back to having Griese and Plummer behind center. That scenario doesn't work unless a team has a top three defense. And Denver isn't anywhere close to having a defense of that caliber.

McDaniels coached and developed Brady, who is either the #1 or #2 QB in the league. I don't know what the future holds for the Broncos at the QB position, but I have good reason to believe he can replicate that success.

The defense was terrible. Now we have Nolan and a fresh set of faces. I'm going to give them a chance to earn my confidence.

I could remain cynical because I'm upset over the Cutler fiasco (and I was upset about it), or I could root for my team to win. And the more I see McDaniels in action not related to dealing with Cutler, the more I like what I see.

But I can understand how you don't think he has the goods because of your personal feelings. Should he fail as the head coach you have dibs on 'told ya' so's'. But I don't want him to fail, because I want my team to win--I want them to win championships and they have my support.

honz
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
The Bears' defense and special teams won those games, not Orton and Chicago's dreadful offense.

Best case scenario, Orton has a career year and he's a top 10-12 quarterback. That formula will still come up short with the defense that Denver has.

They had a better scoring offense than defense last year, FYI. 16th ranked defense and 12 ranked offense or something like that.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
McDaniels coached and developed Brady, who is either the #1 or #2 QB in the league. I don't know what the future holds for the Broncos at the QB position, but I have good reason to believe he can replicate that success.

Brady was well-developed before McDaniels took over the QB coach duties. In fact, McDaniels was on the defensive side of the ball when the Patriots won their second Super Bowl title.

Besides, Brady is great because he has uncanny foot work, probably the best in the game. Coaching won't get Orton/Simms to Brady's level.

The defense was terrible. Now we have Nolan and a fresh set of faces. I'm going to give them a chance to earn my confidence.

I could remain cynical because I'm upset over the Cutler fiasco (and I was upset about it), or I could root for my team to win. And the more I see McDaniels in action not related to dealing with Cutler, the more I like what I see.

But I can understand how you don't think he has the goods because of your personal feelings. Should he fail as the head coach you have dibs on 'told ya' so's'. But I don't want him to fail, because I want my team to win--I want them to win championships and they have my support.

I don't want McDaniels to fail. I just realize the odds are against him with the route that he took.

I like Nolan. If the defense improved to the middle-of-the-pack, the Broncos would be a Super Bowl contender with Cutler behind center.

With Orton, the upside isn't as fruitful if things work out. He's Plummer and Griese all over again. Orton is capable of being a top 10-12 QB, but that's not good enough unless the defense is lights out (top 3-5).

Tempus Fugit
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
With Orton, the upside isn't as fruitful if things work out. He's Plummer and Griese all over again. Orton is capable of being a top 10-12 QB, but that's not good enough unless the defense is lights out (top 3-5).

Rex Grossman took a team to the Super Bowl. Let that roll over your tongue... Rex Grossman, Super Bowl quarterback.

You people have got to stop crying about Cutler. He wanted out, he's out. Let it go already, for crying out loud. If McDaniels and his entire coaching staff just up and quit tomorrow, Jay Cutler would still not the Broncos quarterback this season.

BroncoWave
04-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Brady was well-developed before McDaniels took over the QB coach duties. In fact, McDaniels was on the defensive side of the ball when the Patriots won their second Super Bowl title.

Besides, Brady is great because he has uncanny foot work, probably the best in the game. Coaching won't get Orton/Simms to Brady's level.

I don't want McDaniels to fail. I just realize the odds are against him with the route that he took.

I like Nolan. If the defense improved to the middle-of-the-pack, the Broncos would be a Super Bowl contender with Cutler behind center.

Really, I wouldn't have guessed based on the 5 or 6 times in this thread you have said otherwise.

JKcatch724
04-30-2009, 07:53 PM

And we'd still be screwed with Shanahan and Cutler because we would have NO defense.... because SLOWIK would still be here.

Think about it. Aside from Cutler, EVERY SINGLE position has been improved upon from last year. This is a better overall TEAM, which is exactly what Josh said he wanted to do as soon as he stepped foot in the door.

So cry me a river if you don't like him. This is HIS team now. Not Shanahan's, not Slowick's, not Bate's, and that's what he was brought here to do. Either support him or sit down until we go "1-15" this year... then talk.

Watchthemiddle
04-30-2009, 08:03 PM
And we'd still be screwed with Shanahan and Cutler because we would have NO defense.... because SLOWIK would still be here.

Think about it. Aside from Cutler, EVERY SINGLE position has been improved upon from last year. This is a better overall TEAM, which is exactly what Josh said he wanted to do as soon as he stepped foot in the door.

So cry me a river if you don't like him. This is HIS team now. Not Shanahan's, not Slowick's, not Bate's, and that's what he was brought here to do. Either support him or sit down until we go "1-15" this year... then talk.

Key sentence right there.

:beer:

Bozo Jr.
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Wow, way to back your team. The Raiders forums are over there!........>

Nomad
04-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Good to see McDaniel's being hands on and alot of you have covered my thoughts!!

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Its actually harder to read a defeense from the shotgun than it is under center.

THe Shotgun may give you that time away from a heavy fast rush, but you have to take your eyes OFF the defense to catch the ball, and then re-establish site with what you were reading again. You lose that second.

I was going to respond to each of these ridiculous posts, but just reposting them pretty much speaks for themselves.

BFI
04-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I could have watched another hour of that, easily.

So far I like what I saw.

He is communicating and coaching the players, watching the details and correcting where needed.

I really hope the relationship between Orton and McDaniels solidifies. The sooner that happens, the better. Once coach and player understand each other, good things happen on the field.

Both seem to have a good work ethic, are commited to the team.

This really whet my appitite for training camp. While I am looking forward to the fun summer brings...I am SO ready for some football!:beer:

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 09:18 PM

That's really all I can say about this post. You'd probably criticize him on how he prepares his breakfast in the morning if there was a video of it.

I never said what he's doing it wrong...I just think it's kind of funny :rolleyes:

You take any chance you get to throw a cheap shot...don't you :coffee:

WHY?

I never said he's a bad coach. I think McDaniels is a great coach. In fact, the only thing that keeps me from drinking the McDaniels-Aid is the fact that he destroyed the relationship and then traded Jay Cutler........and because he traded both 3rd round picks for a TE he could've picked up in that third round :tsk:

Good...I'm glad he's coaching.

I'm sorry...I didn't know that I couldn't say what I thought was funny on these forums :coffee:

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Sooooooo. How about that Knowshon Moreno kid.....I say he rushes for 1,200 yards and get another 300 receiving.

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Sooooooo. How about that Knowshon Moreno kid.....I say he rushes for 1,200 yards and get another 300 receiving.

Great player. I'm saying 1500 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving :D

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Great player. I'm saying 1500 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving :D

I like your thinking sir :salute:

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I was going to respond to each of these ridiculous posts, but just reposting them pretty much speaks for themselves.

Take your best shot.......

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Your comment at least made sense Ravage.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Rex Grossman took a team to the Super Bowl. Let that roll over your tongue... Rex Grossman, Super Bowl quarterback.

That's the point. That's rare. QBs like Grossman rarely take teams to the Super Bowl. QBs like Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, and David Woodley are the anomalies. The Super Bowl honor roll is plastered with names like Bart Starr, Len Dawson, Daryle LaMonica, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Bob Griese, Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler, Joe Montana, Ken Anderson, Joe Theismann, Jim Plunkett, Dan Marino, John Elway, Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe, Kurt Warner, Steve McNair, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning.

Like I said earlier, a team with a top 10-15 QB can go to a Super Bowl when they have the support of a top-three defensive unit. The '06 Bears meet this criteria.

Year-in, year-out though over the long-term, a team with a franchise QB has better odds are making it far into January. History proves this.

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Like I said earlier, I was 100% behind McDouchebag until he dealt Cutler.

That bonehead move was the eqivalent of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Chidoze
04-30-2009, 09:39 PM
This is interesting - McDaniels wired during first mini camp.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/
Man, I could watch videos like that all day.

Very interesting stuff to look in on....:salute:

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM

That bonehead move was the eqivalent of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

.......Whats next. The Cutler is better than Jesus statement :laugh:

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 09:41 PM

Are you talking about your comment? Because if you are, you've OBVIOUSLY never played QB.

topscribe
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Man, I could watch videos like that all day.

Very interesting stuff to look in on....:salute:

Thanks for bringing it back. Almost lost the point of the whole thread. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

honz
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM

Blame Bowlen then. Bowlen made the final decision. Or better yet, blame Cutler for not answering his phone when his boss called.

honz
04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Are you talking about your comment? Because if you are, you've OBVIOUSLY never played QB.
I didn't want to get in an argument over that, but yeah...definitely easier to read a D from the shotgun.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM

actuallly.. I played QB in HS and College.....

so go on.... keep tallking and tell me more please. I'm anxious to hear your insight as to prove what I've said wrong and inaccurate.

topscribe
Blame Bowlen then. Bowlen made the final decision. Or better yet, blame Cutler for not answering his phone when his boss called.

I was solidly behind Cutler until he pulled the crap he did toward the end . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
I didn't want to get in an argument over that, but yeah...definitely easier to read a D from the shotgun.

You talking pre-snap or post snap reads?

getlynched47
I wonder if Knowshon Moreno will get his number at the start of minicamps tomorrow? :noidea:

topscribe
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM

so go on.... keep tallking and tell me more please. I'm anxious to hear your insight as to prove what I've said wrong and inaccurate.

It would seem to me that it depends on the QB, Rav. Cutler has said he
actually prefers the shotgun.

But I don't think McDaniels has banned the shotgun. It would seem to me that
he was talking about a certain play or circumstance. Wouldn't that make sense?

-----

Never Trust a Snake
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM

McDaniels started it and handled it poorly from the beginning. He deserves the brunt of the blame.

I blame Bowlen for making an impulsive move and not exerting more patience through the process.

I can't fault Bowlen for his support of McDaniels though. That's his style. He stays out of the way, lets the football people do their thing. He made his bed when he hired McDaniels, he has to sleep in it.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
It would seem to me that it depends on the QB, Rav. Cutler has said he
actually prefers the shotgun.

But I don't think McDaniels has banned the shotgun. It would seem to me that
he was talking about a certain play or circumstance. Wouldn't that make sense?

-----

Oh.. I completely agree here. I think McDaniels was just talking about the drill in the clip,and wasn't saying "no shotgun".. and actually expect him to run mostely shotgun, to be honest.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I wonder if Knowshon Moreno will get his number at the start of minicamps tomorrow? :noidea:

Yeah that would be cool........I don't know if these #'s are takin but I wouldn't mind him wearing either......23 or 25.

honz
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
You talking pre-snap or post snap reads?

Definitely pre-snap and it shouldn't really make a difference post-snap. Probably preference more than anything. It is definitely easier to be on balance and ready to throw from the shotgun.

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah that would be cool........I don't know if these #'s are takin but I wouldn't mind him wearing either......23 or 25.

Yeah taken by Renaldo Hill and Josh Bell.

I'm thinking 27 would look good or 34 (recently available after Pinnock was cut)....35 is also available! :lol:

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM

I guess if you're a below average QB who has to watch the ball into his hands, or keep your eyes on the ball for more than .3 seconds, I can understand your point.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah taken by Renaldo Hill and Josh Bell.

I'm thinking 27 would look good or 34 (recently available after Pinnock was cut)....35 is also available! :lol:

I say takes Selvin's 35.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I guess if you're a below average QB who has to watch the ball into his hands, or keep your eyes on the ball for more than .3 seconds, I can understand your point.

there you go.. You sure proved me wrong. Thanks for your obvious insight and proof of what you are talking about. :beer:

roomemp
04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Ravage where did you play college ball?

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
there you go.. You sure proved me wrong. Thanks for your obvious insight and proof of what you are talking about. :beer:

To use your own words, prove me wrong. How about we ask one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game what he preferred.

John Elway preferred the shotgun. Gave him a chance to review the field, gave him time to move around and find the open receiver.

Epic fail, Ravage!!!.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Definitely pre-snap and it shouldn't really make a difference post-snap. Probably preference more than anything. It is definitely easier to be on balance and ready to throw from the shotgun.

But that wasn't/isn't what I'm talking about. Being on balance to throw could be more of a matter of timing and steps... many times its easy to 'bounce' into your throw when moving back with your 5 step drop than it is from your shotgun.

The Shotgun puts you away from the LoS.. and gives you an easier 'look' at the defense alignment.. and thus a pre-snap read. But POST-snap ABSOLUTELY makes a difference. If you have to take your eyes off the defense to catch a ball, then you have to return your eyes to that defense in order to make that read. That snap from the center is RARELY in a place where you can do it with your eyes closed, and never take your eyes off the defense. So the post-snap read is where you lose in the Shot-gun.

This is why it was easier for guys like Young in Tennessee to play in Shotgun and couldn't play under center. He would get ONE read, pre-snap, and THAT is what the offense would go with... pre-snap reads for Young. This is what they did all the way through college.. PURELY shotgun so that Young could get an easier pre-snap read. Reading AFTER the snap was/is something he just can't do. So the Shot gun gave him the easier reads, pre-snap, and didn't rely on him having to 'make' a read while moving back INTo the pocket.

Taking your eyes off the defense, even for a splt second, lets receivers, corners, safties, LBs... move YARDs different from the time they are down and back up again...

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
To use your own words, prove me wrong. How about we ask one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game what he preferred.

John Elway preferred the shotgun. Gave him a chance to review the field, gave him time to move around and find the open receiver.

Epic fail, Ravage!!!.

Again Joe.. you keep trying to tell me I'm wrong and how 'stupid' my posts are, yet you are showing you have absolutely no knowledge of what you are saying, and purely going on "he preferred" shotgun to prove your point. When its not even the same point you are proving.

Liking the Shotgun better may have not had ANYTHING to do with his pre-post snap reads, and PURELY based on how Elway liked the feel of the pocket, or how it gave him a faster chance to run than the under-center exchange. Elway, especially early in his career, loved to move out of the pocket early and make things happen with his feet. I would think the Shotgun was VERY much more suitable for tha tkind of play style. Not to mention, early on, he didn't have a stellar OL.

honz
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
I'd bet good money it takes no more time to catch a shotgun snap than it does to get your eyes up after receiving a snap from center.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd bet good money it takes no more time to catch a shotgun snap than it does to get your eyes up after receiving a snap from center.

Your eyes are already up when taking a snap from under center.

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Again Joe.. you keep trying to tell me I'm wrong and how 'stupid' my posts are, yet you are showing you have absolutely no knowledge of what you are saying, and purely going on "he preferred" shotgun to prove your point. When its not even the same point you are proving.

Liking the Shotgun better may have not had ANYTHING to do with his pre-post snap reads, and PURELY based on how Elway liked the feel of the pocket, or how it gave him a faster chance to run than the under-center exchange. Elway, especially early in his career, loved to move out of the pocket early and make things happen with his feet. I would think the Shotgun was VERY much more suitable for tha tkind of play style. Not to mention, early on, he didn't have a stellar OL.

Dude, you are completely contradicting yourself here. What exactly do you believe? Better under-center or in the shotgun?

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude, you are completely contradicting yourself here. What exactly do you believe? Better under-center or in the shotgun?

I didn't say 'better' one way or the other.

I said its more difficult to read a defense in shotgun (post snap) than from under center. I never claimed one was better than the other at any point.

honz
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Your eyes are already up when taking a snap from under center.

Yeah, but your looking at your lineman's helmets for a sec...unless you are 6'7".

broncfn90
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
While watching that the only thing going thru my head was the song "please tell me why"

"please tell me, please tell me WHYYYYYY!,"

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but your looking at your lineman's helmets for a sec...unless you are 6'7".

Not really you aren't....

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't say 'better' one way or the other.

I said its more difficult to read a defense in shotgun (post snap) than from under center. I never claimed one was better than the other at any point.

Don't get the logic here, but that your opinion. We'll just agree to disagree.

honz
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Not really you aren't....

Exactly why I didn't want to get into this pissing contest, so we'll agree to disagree. I bet 9/10 QB's prefer to throw out of the shotgun though...

JKcatch724
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
While watching that the only thing going thru my head was the song "please tell me why"

"please tell me, please tell me WHYYYYYY!,"

ummmm, what?

JKcatch724
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
You guys see the jacket McDaniels was wearing? That's not what Mike Shanahan would have worn!!!!

**** that guy!

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Exactly why I didn't want to get into this pissing contest, so we'll agree to disagree. I bet 9/10 QB's prefer to throw out of the shotgun though...

heh.. not a pissing contest :laugh: simply by telling you you aren't seeing the back of the helmets from under center!! :lol:

But Ooooo kay

BroncoJoe
04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
heh.. not a pissing contest :laugh: simply by telling you you aren't seeing the back of the helmets from under center!! :lol:

But Ooooo kay

Spoken by a real QB. Did you run the option or something? Clearly you weren't a passing quarterback.

honz
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM

But Ooooo kay

One last post and I'm done...

Fact: Your line of sight is better the farther away from your line you are.

Fact: McDaniels runs out of the shotgun as well as from under center.

MOtorboat
04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
One last post and I'm done...

Fact: Your line of sight is better the farther away from your line you are.

Fact: McDaniels runs out of the shotgun as well as from under center.

And...the actual quote is..."we run that from under center, never from the shotgun." I'm assuming he was talking about the drill...

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Gotcha. Didn't know the timeline on McDaniels' duties. Still, it seems he had a role in transforming Brady and the Pats O into the juggernaut it was.

I get not trusting McD yet, but I don't get wishing the Broncos to have a crap season.

topscribe
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Brady is great because he has uncanny foot work, probably the best in the game. Coaching won't get Orton/Simms to Brady's level.

Hmmm . . . one of the things about Orton that impressed McDaniels was
Orton's footwork. Now, if after all those years McDaniels spent with Brady,
Orton's footwork impressed him, that tells me something about Orton's
footwork . . .

(Kind of a clumsily constructed sentence, but you get my drift . . . )

-----

honz
04-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Hmmm . . . one of the things about Orton that impressed McDaniels was
Orton's footwork. Now, if after all those years McDaniels spent with Brady,
Orton's footwork impressed him, that tells me something about Orton's
footwork . . .

(Kind of a clumsily constructed sentence, but you get my drift . . . )

-----
Orton sux.

Plus, everyone knows you can't coach footwork! :rolleyes:

topscribe
04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Orton sux.

Plus, everyone knows you can't coach footwork! :rolleyes:

:confused:

-----

TXBRONC
05-01-2009, 09:07 AM

If we're not judge McDaniels as a head coach until he has actually started coaching (I do agree with that) then we really can't this a better overall team until they become a winning football team.

GEM
05-01-2009, 09:21 AM

You get paid for the Broncos losing? If you'll be laughing if that happens.....go find some other friggen team to root for. I don't care who's coaching no way in hell I want my Broncos going 1-15 and I wouldn't be rooting for it just to say I told you so.

GEM
05-01-2009, 09:24 AM
The way I see it:

You think just the last 3 seasons were bad? Try all the years we got blown out by the Colts....you call that success? Sorry if you are able to accept mediocrity based on 2 seasons that ELWAY, TD, ATWATER, SMITH, and the players provided us....after they were gone, all we saw was successful mediocrity.

That's your opinion of the long term well being...when all is said and done and McD is successful, I hope you have enough kahunas to come back and eat crow.

xzn
05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Back to the video and the discussion about the statement regarding the shotgun.

It is absolutely obvious that he was talking about that particular drill, which looked like just a basic receiver line that fourth graders do to get the WRs warmed up and the QBs rhythm going before breaking into group and team work later in practice.

I will stop posting and change my signature to any humiliating thing anyone can think of if he was alluding to never running the gun in games. Clearly he was just talking about THAT DRILL.

LRtagger
05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
It is absolutely obvious that he was talking about that particular drill, which looked like just a basic receiver line that fourth graders do to get the WRs warmed up and the QBs rhythm going before breaking into group and team work later in practice.

Looked like the were practicing audible hand signals and WR routes. Thats why he said use the other hand (using the wrong hand to call the signals).

Seems like the QBs will be calling routes from the LOS a lot of the time. It should be fun to watch the offense this year.

xzn
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I definitely agree about the hand signals. It's not that hard.

I coach 7th and 8th graders and we have a dozen plays that we call at the LOS with the QB flashing a hand signal to the receivers in our trips set or twins gun.

My starting QB and #1 WR also know each other well enough to have a half a dozen hand signals for "hot routes" and another three for combination routes (i/e: sluggo, whip, and chair routes).

Certainly professionals can do the same....