PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could've picked up an extra 3rd round pick in '09

nflfan
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8288ce03/article/cerrato-redskins-almost-drafted-lesean-mccoy?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Denver’s on the clock the pick before us, and I called them. How about this, I offer them a third-round pick to swap, and they called me back and they said No, you’re gonna get your guy, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to trade. How about that one? [Laughter.]," Cerrato said.

I guess Josh McDaniels didn't feel the Broncos could use an extra 3rd rounder.

claymore
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8288ce03/article/cerrato-redskins-almost-drafted-lesean-mccoy?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Denver’s on the clock the pick before us, and I called them. How about this, I offer them a third-round pick to swap, and they called me back and they said No, you’re gonna get your guy, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to trade. How about that one? [Laughter.]," Cerrato said.

I guess Josh McDaniels didn't feel the Broncos could use an extra 3rd rounder.

It was the best thing for the franchise. Of course he didnt do it.

Northman
04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
McDaniels is a hack.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm not shocked at all.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 08:58 AM
It was the best thing for the franchise. Of course he didnt do it.

Why would we need an extra pick he had the team headed in the right direction. :shocked:

claymore
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Why would we need an extra pick he had the team headed in the right direction. :shocked:

Thank you Mr. Bowlen having the balls to cut loose of that turd in less thna 2 years!!!!

Jsteve01
04-24-2012, 09:01 AM
can you not do this to me on a Tuesday please?

MOtorboat
04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
That's ******* awesome.

NightTrainLayne
04-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Weird on both sides. If we were going to take Orakpo, would an extra 3rd rounder buy us off?

muse
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Weird on both sides. If we were going to take Orakpo, would an extra 3rd rounder buy us off?

On the plus side, even if we had received the third rounder, McD would've just thrown it in with the Steelers trade so we could pick Dicky Quinn at 50 rather than at 64 :lol:

There have been some interesting rumblings from Xanders too - whilst I don't remember him talking about the #12 pick, he did say that he wanted Clay Matthews at 18 and McD insisted on Ayers. Whether that's true or not, not sure...either way, in my mind Moore has been the only herpderp pick post-McD, I'd rather we kept it that way.

Cugel
04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
I can't say I'm surprised by anything McMoron did, but that one was pretty bad.

Sadly, it wasn't nearly his worst draft insanity. Not by a long shot. It's only #4 on the list:

#1 McMoron Draft Blunder -- Jay Cutler trade. Leaving aside the stupidity of preferring Cassel to Cutler in the first place, once McMoron let the league know he was interested in trading Cutler for Matt Cassel, a number of teams were interested. Leading the pack were the Lions, the Bears, the Redskins and the Bucs.

McMoron decided that he wanted Kyle Orton so he didn't even bother negotiating with the other teams to get the maximum draft picks. The Redskins and Jets were reportedly angry that McMoron didn't return their calls and allow them to try and outbid the Bears.

Remember that Redskins owner "Dealin' Dan" Snyder was particularly eager to land Cutler and had better draft picks than the Bears did. Only McMoron wanted a better veteran, whom he was convinced was Orton instead of just starting over with a rookie QB.

We'll never even know how high the bidding could have gone if McMoron had had the wit to play these teams off against one another and take the highest offer in draft picks.

But, notice that Carson Palmer got the Bengals a first and second round pick (conditionally a 1st in 2013) and Cutler entering the height of his career at 27 was (and is) a much better prospect than Carson Palmer.

#2 McMoron Draft Blunder -- Trading a 1st round pick (#14 overall in 2010) for a Second round pick in the 2009 draft; picking CB Alphonso Smith, and then trading him for a used gum wrapper in 2010.

#3 McMoron Draft Blunder -- Drafting Moreno and Ayers instead of Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews in 2009.

#4 -- McMoron Draft Blunder. Incomprehensibly throwing away a 3rd round pick in 2010 as told by Vinny Cerato above.

That's rather a lot of total screwups for two short years! :coffee:

MOtorboat
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I effing love McDaniels.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I effing love McDaniels.

Me too. Speaking of which, where is Bosco? He's usually around these threads.

GEM
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Further proving that Belifatass blew up the Broncos from the inside out.

Conspiracy theorists unite!!

:laugh:

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Thank you Mr. Bowlen having the balls to cut loose of that turd in less thna 2 years!!!!

He should have done it earlier. It was Bowlens fault for giving him the keys to the organization in the first place.

That trade rejection was about as bad as Shanahan deciding to say "f it", let me throw away our third round pick to move up 2 spots to draft a guy who we could have trade down to draft".

The drafting bungaloo is contagious in this organization and lets hope it doesn't continue this week.

jhildebrand
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Big deal. When the guy was throwing away 4ths for Maroney (still can't believe people were ok with that :tsk:) he would have wasted the 3rd anyway. It would have just further hamstrung this team financially.

Let's recap McDaniels' draft blunders:
*went into his 1st draft with a board of 100 players
*drafted Moreno at 12
*drafted Ayers (who is turning out ok) at 18
*those two picks could have been Orakpo, matthews, hood, maualuga,-and don't give me hindsight is 20/20. People around here were calling for it all day long.
*Robert EFFING Quinn
*Used a future first to draft a smurf in the 2nd only to get rid of him a year later! :mad:
*Traded a king's ransom for Tebow just to give up on the kid
*Traded Marshall for (2 seconds-great value and good trade) only to turn around and say the guy he drafted-DT-reminds him of Marshall-not a bad move per se just bad spin
*What else? :confused: I know there is more!

Dapper Dan
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Just another McD hate thread..

Cugel
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
He should have done it earlier. It was Bowlens fault for giving him the keys to the organization in the first place.

That trade rejection was about as bad as Shanahan deciding to say "f it", let me throw away our third round pick to move up 2 spots to draft a guy who we could have trade down to draft".

The drafting bungaloo is contagious in this organization and lets hope it doesn't continue this week.

If you are referring to the brilliant decision to draft Jarvis Moss, Shanahan moved up 4 places, from #21 to #17 to get the All-Pro Moss. :rolleyes:

That was the worst Broncos draft blunder (since it involved TWO draft picks) until McMoron got to town and made FOUR of the worst draft blunders in recent history.

Other than the Raiders selecting JaWalrus Russell with the #1 overall pick, I can't think of worse recent draft blunders than those of the Broncos.

Cugel
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Well, there IS actual news here, a previously UNKNOWN story of McMoron's supreme incompetence as told by a former NFL GM who has personal knowledge.

So, it IS worthy of comment. If you're not interested there are plenty of other threads. :coffee:

Dapper Dan
04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, there IS actual news here, a previously UNKNOWN story of McMoron's supreme incompetence as told by a former NFL GM who has personal knowledge.

So, it IS worthy of comment. If you're not interested there are plenty of other threads. :coffee:

I came to read something relevant, not from 2009. But that's a typical Broncos fan. Living in the past.

jhildebrand
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Well the state of the team today is tied DIRECTLY to McDaniels. When it comes out, today, that this team could have had another 3rd it is relevant! :noidea:

Simple Jaded
04-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I came to read something relevant, not from 2009. But that's a typical Broncos fan. Living in the past.

Living in the past? This team is still recovering from the whirlpool of bullshit that piece of shit left behind, how is this not relevant?.......

claymore
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Me too. Speaking of which, where is Bosco? He's usually around these threads.

I think its his retarded Brother.

BORDERLINE
04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
WOW this is F'N bull......

WTF McDouche?? What was He smoking ?? All I can think to defend it was that he was trying to build relationships with the other GM's in the NFL. Like get them to return the favor at a later date but how the hell does that kind of thinking work for you?

NightTerror218
04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Just shows what happens when you let an idiot into the door and give him the keys to the car, house and full access to you daughter's bedroom, he ****s everything up.

MOtorboat
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
:woot:

McDaniels biotches!

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Hopefully Mcdipshit can help the Patticakes the way he helped the Broncos. He definately is a legend in his own mind.

DenBronx
04-24-2012, 10:17 PM
We could have had Jon Beason over Moss.

But damn, imagine Orakpo AND Matthews in 2009! That would have been insane!

sneakers
04-25-2012, 12:31 AM
LOL they would have just picked another worthless player.....

GEM
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM

As if that little goon doesn't deserve it.

GEM
04-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Where in 2009 did you pick up that it could have involved anyone else than Mcdumb****. How is it irrelevant that the Broncos lost a 3rd round pick because of another dumb blunder. I guess it was relevant until you found out it was McDaniels, then it was brush it under the rug,eh. :rolleyes: No one forced you to open the thread or to post in it. That 3rd rounder could have helped the team. That is how it is relevant.

Nomad
04-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Big deal. When the guy was throwing away 4ths for Maroney (still can't believe people were ok with that :tsk:) he would have wasted the 3rd anyway. It would have just further hamstrung this team financially. Let's recap McDaniels' draft blunders:
*went into his 1st draft with a board of 100 players
*drafted Moreno at 12
*drafted Ayers (who is turning out ok) at 18
*those two picks could have been Orakpo, matthews, hood, maualuga,-and don't give me hindsight is 20/20. People around here were calling for it all day long.
*Robert EFFING Quinn
*Used a future first to draft a smurf in the 2nd only to get rid of him a year later! :mad:
*Traded a king's ransom for Tebow just to give up on the kid
*Traded Marshall for (2 seconds-great value and good trade) only to turn around and say the guy he drafted-DT-reminds him of Marshall-not a bad move per se just bad spin
*What else? :confused: I know there is more!

I would have to agree. McDaniels did prove here as the BRONCOS HC that he doesn't know how to draft.

DT has Calvin Johnson potential but we haven't seen it yet.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah, btw, the player the Steelers drafted with the 3rd round pick that McDaniels traded to be able to draft Richard Quinn; Mike Wallace. He got Quinn and Seth Olson and draft pick value-wise he screwed the Broncos out of the 24th pick of the 4th round in the process.

Now it's a "living in the past" Josh McDaniels hate thread!.......

turftoad
04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, btw, the player the Steelers drafted with the 3rd round pick that McDaniels traded to be able to draft Richard Quinn; Mike Wallace. He got Quinn and Seth Olson and draft pick value-wise he screwed the Broncos out of the 24th pick of the 4th round in the process.

Now it's a "living in the past" Josh McDaniels hate thread!.......

To bad McDoosh wouldn't have been smart enough to draft Wallace anyway. :tsk: Makes me sad to watch what he did to this team.

Nomad
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
To bad McDoosh wouldn't have been smart enough to draft Wallace anyway. :tsk: Makes me sad to watch what he did to this team.

I agree with your post, turf, but there are a number of teams kicking themselves in the butt for passing over Wallace when they took other WOs over Wallace.

bcbronc
04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
maybe I'm all alone here but i think it was classy of McDaniels not to take advantage of the short bus rider. That was always little joshy's biggest problem, too much compassion and so kind hearted it hurt.

Jsteve01
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I hear as an Irish Catholic he's already been nominated for sainthood

MOtorboat
04-25-2012, 05:43 PM

That is appropriate. :woot: McDaniels!

Nomad
04-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Do they serve pints of Guiness after Mass?!?:D

ShaneFalco
04-25-2012, 06:09 PM
i didnt like mcdaniels.... he didnt take advantage of another teams stupidity and became stupid himself.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I agree with your post, turf, but there are a number of teams kicking themselves in the butt for passing over Wallace when they took other WOs over Wallace.True, but.

Not at all my intention with that post, I know other teams passed and I know damn good and well that McDaniels would have likely screwed up those 3's as well. I'm just pointing out the caliber of talent that McDaniels traded to draft a blocking TE that can't block any better than he can catch or run routes.......

Cugel
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
We could have had Jon Beason over Moss.

But damn, imagine Orakpo AND Matthews in 2009! That would have been insane!

Whenever I think about that I see RED, until I reflect that getting such good players would probably have saved McMoron's job.

And then I calm down. At least his tornado of destruction was limited to two years. It would have been worse if he'd held on for 3 or 4 years, which he easily could have done by making just a FEW less blunders! Just enough good picks would have saved him from being FIRED for a while!

And that would be bad. EFX is actually a GOOD team and Denver has a chance to win a SB with them in charge. With McMoron that was NEVER going to happen.

So, there's a silver lining from all his idiotic blunders. At least it got him ridden out of town on a rail before he could do even MORE long-term damage! :beer: