PDA

View Full Version : Pat open up the check book buddy

Dortoh
04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers informed starting inside linebacker Larry Foote that he will be released.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would either be traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

In a strange and puzzling twist, however, team sources said that Foote will not be released until after the club's upcoming minicamp, a stance first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday afternoon and subsequently confirmed by ESPN.com. Yet Foote continues to believe he has been released already and is now a free agent. It is not certain, sources close to Foote said, if the linebacker will attend the minicamp, should the Steelers not officially release him until next week.

According to the Post-Gazette, Foote said he wants to continue his career as a starting linebacker where he can play more often and asked the Steelers to accommodate him.

"It was my doing," Foote told the Post-Gazette. "I wanted to go. They were trying to trade me.''

A player is not technically released until his name appears on the league's internal transactions report, which is issued daily.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup will lead to his release.

His résumé includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary-cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

NFL.com Video

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin discusses his expectations for the 2009 season.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

"James Farrior never slows down, and Timmons came in and I can't grow here any more. They turned me into a two-down linebacker last year. I was stuck in a role," Foote told the Post-Gazette.

"I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy. It got to the point where they were not giving me a chance.''

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14˝ sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

There were reports during the week preceding the Super Bowl that Foote wanted to play for his hometown Detroit Lions if he were released and, according to the Post-Gazette, he told both Detroit newspapers as much on Tuesday.

"Ain't no doubt about that," Foote told the Detroit Free Press. "I would love to come home. My family is here. I just bought a house here. It would be great. And just to answer critics: I'm not a veteran trying to come home and cash out on my hometown team. I'm a baller first. I wouldn't sacrifice that for nothing."

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

TXBRONC
04-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I think he would be a terrific signing but it depends it depends on what McDaniels wants to do.

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Sounds like Andra Davis...a 2 down linebacker who can't play pass-coverage

xzn
04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Sounds like Andra Davis...a 2 down linebacker who can't play pass-coverage

I agree. While he'd probably be an upgrade over Andra it'd have to be a real real big upgrade to be paying him and Andra starer money with Larsen completely buried on the depth chart.

What we really need is a starting SOLB. Could be Boss, but he lacks ideal size against the run in a 34 front and has injury questions.

Could be Ayers, but then we have a hole at one of the DE spots.

I want to see what Elvis can do at Joker. DJ is ideally suited for WILB. Andra can handle the plugger role at SILB.

Isn't Leroy Hill available. I won't pretend to know a whole lot about him except that if I'm not mistaken he is an OLB and starter with a good reputation.

Bottom line is I think we need depth and a potential starter at SOLB who can cover backs and TEs one on one and has experience with zone drops into the second level.

TXBRONC
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
From what the article said it had to do with economics and the fact that they wanted to get Timmons into starting line up.

ikillz0mbies
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree. While he'd probably be an upgrade over Andra it'd have to be a real real big upgrade to be paying him and Andra starer money with Larsen completely buried on the depth chart.

What we really need is a starting SOLB. Could be Boss, but he lacks ideal size against the run in a 34 front and has injury questions.

I want to see what Elvis can do at Joker. DJ is ideally suited for WILB. Andra can handle the plugger role at SILB.

Isn't Leroy Hill available. I won't pretend to know a whole lot about him except that if I'm not mistaken he is an OLB and starter with a good reputation.

Bottom line is I think we need depth and a potential starter at SOLB who can cover backs and TEs one on one and has experience with zone drops into the second level.

Leroy Hill is a good OLB and can rush the QB pretty well (even though he had only 1 sack last year). He's only 26 years old so he is still young. If I remember correctly, he was a huge part of the Seahawks defense that got them to the Super Bowl and heard good things about him since. But I don't know what his price tag will be. It may be too high for the Broncos. If not, I think the Broncos should make a run at him.

Nomad
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
It would be nice to have a guy like Foote come in and provide leadership and experience in the playoffs/SB, get these young guys motivated!

With this said, I believe Bowlen would have to write out a hefty check to lure Foote here in Denver, or any team at that, because he wants to go back to Detroit where he is from.

shank
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
for the leadership role i'm ok having andra there, and dawkins in the secondary... and like xzn said, i really don't want to bury larsen... i think he could be a great ILB.

i wouldn't be against bringing him in, i just don't think it's necessary and may impede larsen's progress.

Fan in Exile
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38387

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38386

Just in case anyone wants to see what has also been said about this.

TXBRONC
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
for the leadership role i'm ok having andra there, and dawkins in the secondary... and like xzn said, i really don't want to bury larsen... i think he could be a great ILB.

i wouldn't be against bringing him in, i just don't think it's necessary and may impede larsen's progress.

I don't think there is much doubt that if Foote was brought in Larsen ends getting the short end of the stick. But I suppose in one respect Larsen may have already gotten the short end of the stick with the signing of Andra Davis.

shank
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think there is much doubt that if Foote was brought in Larsen ends getting the short end of the stick. But I suppose in one respect Larsen may have already gotten the short end of the stick with the signing of Andra Davis.

but with just andra, i think spencer will be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at either ILB position, meaning he will get reps, get a chance to show what he can do, and will be right there if someone isn't performing or goes down with an injury. it wouldn't be as bad for him. not a long stick, but not as short either :D

broncofaninfla
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I feel good about the ILB spots and I bet both Larsen and Woodyard push for starting positions. Flame away if you want but Davis isn't special and despite his size Woodyard seems to have better instincts than DJ.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I think the guy brings not only leadership, but WINNING experience and a pittsburgh defense, blue collar, attitude.

He absolutely would be a benefit to this team.

LTC Pain
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I'd rather have Leroy Hill instead of Foote. He would be a definite upgrade at LB.

Nomad
04-30-2009, 12:18 PM
How about Khary Campbell, though it sounds his price tag my be too high? I don't know much about him other than I read he's a reserve LB and great STeamer!

getlynched47
04-30-2009, 04:23 PM

I agree. I thought we were set at the Inner linebacker spot before the draft...that's why I was so against Rey Maualuga.

We need outerlinebackers...because I'm really not comfortable with Darrell Reid playing outside linebacker. Does McDaniels seriously expect a converted defensive tackle to cover Tight Ends and Runningbacks?? LMFAO :lol:

xzn
05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, GL47, I don't get that Reid thing at all. I can see him as a situational edge rusher from either OLB spot, but projecting a 4-3 DT to starting OLB in a 34?!?!

That hound don't hunt....

getlynched47
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, GL47, I don't get that Reid thing at all. I can see him as a situational edge rusher from either OLB spot, but projecting a 4-3 DT to starting OLB in a 34?!?!

That hound don't hunt....

He's the size of a DE for a 3-4....that's where I thought he would play.

LRtagger
05-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Lions sign Foote to one-year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4146600

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Linebacker Larry Foote has signed a one-year deal with his hometown Detroit Lions, two days after being released by the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Lions, winless last season, announced Foote's signing Wednesday afternoon.

The Steelers released Foote on Monday, a move expected because he asked to be traded or cut. He started every game for them the past five seasons, including their Super Bowl victories last season and after the 2005 season, but was unhappy coming off the field on passing downs.

The native of Detroit and former star at nearby Michigan says a lot of teams had expressed interest in him, including the Arizona Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs and Indianapolis Colts.

DenBronx
05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
In other news, the Denver Broncos sign Willie Middlebrooks and Simeon Rice to 1 year performance based contracts. Both guys will attempt a comeback in the NFL.

Source: www.weblewitinfreeagencyandthedraft.com

GEM
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
In other news, the Denver Broncos sign Willie Middlebrooks and Simeon Rice to 1 year performance based contracts. Both guys will attempt a comeback in the NFL.

:yardog:

Source: www.morenoandayerstearitupindenver.com

Second Source: www.eatcrow.com

:D

GEM
05-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Oh and btw buddy.....Shanny actually did those deals. Middlebrooks and Rice...and you're saying McD has issues....:lol: Irony at it's best.

A hit at McD shows Shanny's blaring weakness.

TXBRONC
05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Lions sign Foote to one-year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4146600

The rumor was that Foote was interested in going back to his hometown so it's surprising that he signed with Lions. I wish we would have pursued him because I see him a significant upgrade over Andra Davis.

Anyway, thanks for the update LR. :salute: