PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hire Matt Russell to become Director of College Scouting

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Apparently, he is a buddy of Josh McDaniels. The nepotism (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/29/broncos-hire-matt-russell/) continues. :whoo::woot::dance::heh:

MOtorboat
04-29-2009, 11:58 PM
He's a Buffalo.

I approve.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Missouri, in your expert opinion -- do you think he is a "stud" buffalo?

MOtorboat
04-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Missouri, in your expert opinion -- do you think he is a "stud" buffalo?

He was when he played.

NightTrainLayne
04-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Nepotism? :confused:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Surely an Elitist like you knows what that is all about NTL. :kiss:

NightTrainLayne
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Surely an Elitist like you knows what that is all about NTL. :kiss:

I thought I did. .. Based on my Elitist knowledge, this is assuredly not a case of nepotism.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Depends on how you look at it. If you extend the definition to close friends (which in many cases people do) -- this could be seen as such given prior working relationships and the probability that Josh and Matt are friends. Not that I necessarily have a problem with it. However, you could assert that he got the job based on his own merits as opposed to prior association with McDaniels as well. More or less, I was kidding -- NTL; however it was worth mentioning.

topscribe
04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I thought I did. .. Based on my Elitist knowledge, this is assuredly not a case of nepotism.

I think the appropriate term might be "cronyism."

-----

Timmy!
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I think Dream meant "Neopetism."

TimBuff10
04-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Post is saying they credit Russell for finding Matt Cassell. At least he brings a good resume with him for the job the hired him to do.

Go Buffs!

NightTrainLayne
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Depends on how you look at it. If you extend the definition to close friends (which in many cases people do) -- this could be seen as such given prior working relationships and the probability that Josh and Matt are friends. Not that I necessarily have a problem with it. However, you could assert that he got the job based on his own merits as opposed to prior association with McDaniels as well. More or less, I was kidding -- NTL; however it was worth mentioning.

As Top stated Croneyism might be a better term, but its just semantics.

The primary issue of course is whether or not McD hired him because he was the best candidate for the job, or because they were buddies that had worked together before.

I see some evidence that he is pretty well-qualified for the job with the relevant experience working for a couple of pretty good ball-clubs.

I don't see much evidence that McD and him are such good buddies that McD would overlook better qualified candidates in order to hire him. Just because they both worked for the same organization for a time doesn't mean that anything untoward is going on with this hire.

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM

The primary issue of course is whether or not McD hired him because he was the best candidate for the job, or because they were buddies that had worked together before.

I see some evidence that he is pretty well-qualified for the job with the relevant experience working for a couple of pretty good ball-clubs.

I don't see much evidence that McD and him are such good buddies that McD would overlook better qualified candidates in order to hire him. Just because they both worked for the same organization for a time doesn't mean that anything untoward is going on with this hire.

Just like in almost all jobs vacancies that get filled networking happens.. Since there seems to be a bond of trust between the two it would be silly IMO to bring someone else in just because they know each other..

There is an instant trust between the two something that would have to be built with anyone else..

Sounds like someone else that is unhappy that Josh was hired after mikeys departure opposed to someone elses favorite, and has tried to brand this just one more bad thing that Josh has done....

GEM
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I think Dream meant "Neopetism."

Timmy, I thought the same thing as I read it. :lol:

powderaddict
04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
What does 3 flavored ice cream have to do with hiring this guy? :confused:

rcsodak
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM

SHHHHHHH......

.....blame it on small town schrewling......... :D

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 11:45 AM
I hate him

Ravage!!!
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Well... you have to admit, going on the past number of months that McD has been here... he has a tendency to want to hire people he KNOWs rather than those that are simply more qualified for the job. Hiring the long-snapper out of NE and attempting to trade our pro-bowl QB for the QB he knew are just two examples.

I don't think its a reach to believe that McD hired Russell because of his 'comfort level' more so than any qualifications.

LRtagger
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM

But you also have to consider McD hired his brother and high school buddy/teammate as assistants as well. Its probable that he gave Russell the nudge to the top because they are familiar with each other.

powderaddict
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
If I were hiring at the moment I'd be more comfortable hiring someone I knew instead of someone I didn't.

I don't see what the big deal is as long as the guy can do the job.

Hawgdriver
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Can McD surround himself with the right people? Players & coaches & staff? We'll find out soon. Some folks are coming around, others are skeptical.

In Jim Collin's book 'Good to Great', which is one of the best books published in recent times on the subject of leadership, he makes a point of saying that it's more important to get the right people on the bus before you decide where the bus is going.

Anyone here ever dreamed about starting your own business? Do you have friends you would hope would jump on your bus because you know they have the talent that only you can see because you know them so well? I do. And why I would go to them first is because I trust them. I know I can work well with them. I've just conducted a ten year interview with them and they have passed with flying colors. Are there candidates with better resumes? Yes, but resumes are backward looking and flimsy indicators of how that candidate will integrate with the rest of the team. (The same could be said of draft prospect evaluation, but you are seldom in a position to draft players that are your friends/former players).

I look at it as a strategy that will likely minimize the probability of team friction. There are likely better qualified candidates, but at least you have dramatically reduced a significant risk (the risk of divisiveness when communication breaks down) to the overall organization. When you have a heated debate with a long-standing friend, you have that vast reservoir of kinship to buttress the devastating effects of possible misunderstanding. Often a misunderstanding among colleagues results in one person feeling that the other person doesn't like them. This can harm the overall effectiveness of the organization. Building a team of close knit brothers certainly reduces this risk. There is also the aspect that you never want to let down a bro. You will go out of your way to keep that mutual respect when it means more than 'just a job'.

I know there are holes in this line of thinking, but I want to share my appreciation for the approach he is taking.

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Well... you have to admit, going on the past number of months that McD has been here... he has a tendency to want to hire people he KNOWs rather than those that are simply more qualified for the job. Hiring the long-snapper out of NE and attempting to trade our pro-bowl QB for the QB he knew are just two examples.

I don't think its a reach to believe that McD hired Russell because of his 'comfort level' more so than any qualifications.

so who is available and more qualified?

Before throwing junk out there and perhaps Obscuring the facts ..

Was the LS choice a good one probably not but he knows the system the Josh wants to install one less men for him to have to teach.. And it is not like he is just a LS he is one of the best if not the best..

That move will probably be talked about in the year 2015.. While I really like Leach and thought he was pretty good, perhaps this new guy is better..

Maybe it is time to step back and allow the guy to do the job he was hired for..

FWIW

nepotism  Show Spelled Pronunciation [nep-uh-tiz-uhm]
–noun patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics

or better yet..

nepotism

"favoritism shown to relatives, esp. in appointment to high office," 1662, from Fr. népotisme, from It. nepotismo, from nepote "nephew," from L. nepotem (nom. nepos) "grandson, nephew" (see nephew). Originally, privileges granted to a pope's "nephew" which was a euphemism for his natural son.

Unless I missed something they are not related..

Lonestar
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
But you also have to consider McD hired his brother and high school buddy/teammate as assistants as well. Its probable that he gave Russell the nudge to the top because they are familiar with each other.

Much like all the Ryan's, Nolan's, Shanahan etc..

It is not like he gave his brother a high pressure job .. I suspect he is going to bring him along much the same way he was.. start up job and promote him as he learns..

Which of course has worked out well for him.. (SO FAR)