PDA

View Full Version : Elway: DT not nearly the need people think it is

BroncoWave
04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Tweets from Lindsay Jones and Andrew Mason of his press conference:

"Elway: "We don't feel as bad about our [defensive] tackles as everyone else does.""
"Defensive tackle: "In our minds, it's not nearly the need that people think it is.""

But what does he know, he doesn't have access to all of the tape or see those guys every day or anything.

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
In other words, he's prepping Denver fans for not drafting a DT until at least Saturday, if at all...

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
smokescreen.

Northman
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Lmao. Well, we shall see. If we keep getting gouged by opposing running games i would think it would be safe to say he was wrong. We shall see what happens come the draft, etc.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
BPA is still their drafting motto.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Well Johnny.....proof will be on the field, until then, it's the BRONCOS and I don't believe it.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:29 PM

"Elway: "We don't feel as bad about our [defensive] tackles as everyone else does.""
"Defensive tackle: "In our minds, it's not nearly the need that people think it is.""

But what does he know, he doesn't have access to all of the tape or see those guys every day or anything.

Dang it BTB. You just started this thread to piss Ravage off. YOu know how he feels about DT

BroncoWave
04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
BPA is still their drafting motto.

Which is how smart teams draft. If they, for example, at 25 can pick a DT who they think could be a bust or take several years to develop, or pick a CB who they think is an immediate impact player who can come in and start right away, it would be stupid to pick the DT just because it's a bigger need.

Superchop 7
04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
smokescreen.

I will flip out if it isn't. I will want the front office fired.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
we saw them on Sunday, and that's what counts. we need defensive repair. and I'm no John Elway, but even I know that.

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Translation: We got Peyton freakin Manning and we plan on dropping 50 burgers on every team. They will then have no choice but to pass and play catch up. DT is now a voided position. Signed The GOAT.

BroncoWave
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I will flip out if it isn't. I will want the front office fired.

Yeah screw our front office who drafted the DROY last year and brought in the biggest FA ever. What a bunch of bums!

Northman
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah screw our front office who drafted the DROY last year and brought in the biggest FA ever. What a bunch of bums!

Yea, but that was a need too last year mate. If everytime we picked in the upcoming draft and QB was the BPA do you draft 7 QB's? Of course not, i get the logic behind it but i disagree with John that DT isnt a need. Especially since we have not had a difference maker there for over 7 or 8 years. We have a pass rush, but we still need to shut down the run and i dont see anyone on this roster who can do that.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Elway grew up in the NFL feeling/knowing that a strong offense makes your defense better. All through Manning's career, he's made his defense much better by having a strong offense. We won our Super Bowls by having a strong offense. The Patriots, this last season, had a TERRIBLE defense...yet nearly won the trophy. Today's NFL is structured around offense. Offense is the key to today's NFL. I won't be shocked, in the least, to see Denver draft a position/player that improves this offense.

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Yeah, clearly they don't know what they are doing and there is zero stability with our defensive minded coaching staff.

BroncoWave
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea, but that was a need too last year mate. If everytime we picked in the upcoming draft and QB was the BPA do you draft 7 QB's? Of course not, i get the logic behind it but i disagree with John that DT isnt a need. Especially since we have not had a difference maker there for over 7 or 8 years. We have a pass rush, but we still need to shut down the run and i dont see anyone on this roster who can do that.

Let me clarify. BPA at a position of need. Obviously you don't draft a QB several years in a row. As for this year's draft, it's not like DT is the only need. If there is a LB, CB, S, RB, WR, or OL on the board at 25 who they think can come in and be an immediate impact starter, I think you have to pull the trigger there. We are currently built to go out an win a SB in the next 2-3 years. You don't do that by drafting projects who will take years to develop just because it's at a position of need.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM

that is it exactly North. well stated

topscribe
04-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I really believe they have their eyes on RB and QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take, say, Thompson at #57, but sandwiched between Martin or Miller in the first round and Osweiler in the 3rd?

I dunno . . . just seems logically possible to me . . .

Nomad
04-23-2012, 12:42 PM

We need that big guy or 2 to collapse the pocket as well. VonDoom can only do so much but that inside presence is a must. It's the same complaint every year, just read the Game threads over the years......."why does the opposing QB have so much time in the pocket and slicing up the secondary...dline needs to pressure the QB".

underrated29
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
like i said....we are going to trade back and take a 3/4/5th round dt bohemouth.

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Well...if their thought process is similar to mine...then Cox and Brockers are the only DT's worthy of a top 25 pick. If they are gone, then the BPA now plays a diferent position. I wouldnt draft a DT I had rated at 35-50 with the 25th pick either. Take the best guy there to fill a need and try to trade up to get the DT at a different spot.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Well...if their thought process is similar to mine...then Cox and Brockers are the only DT's worthy of a top 25 pick. If they are gone, then the BPA now plays a diferent position. I wouldnt draft a DT I had rated at 35-50 with the 25th pick either. Take the best guy there to fill a need and try to trade up to get the DT at a different spot.

I thought you had Reyes as your #25.

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I thought you had Reyes as your #25.

I did originally...but I also prefaced my mock with the statement that I never do mocks that early because things change. Player values, needs, etc. Out of Worthy, Still, Alameda, Reyes...if I had to take one at 25...Reyes is my guy. That is all said with the assumption Brockers and Cox are gone.

Now...if 3 or 4 DT's are off the board before 25, then I believe we have to act. If Reyes is still there, then I go for it. But as things settle...I see 2 DT's going in the first. Maybe a 3rd to NE, but most will go mid 2nd

dogfish
04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

so. . . does this change your plan to gloat when we take a DT in the first round?

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Can anyone see Tannehill falling to 25 and would the Broncos take him if he did?

I can see us taking Weeden if he falls into the 3rd. Doubt he does but Colt McCoy did.

BroncoWave
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
so. . . does this change your plan to gloat when we take a DT in the first round?

Absolutely not. The people who seriously think our front office ignores the DT position and refuses to draft it early fully deserve to get heat if we actually do it. I just hope we don't reach for one that isn't worth that pick.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
4 players to visit off the top of my head...Osweiler/Reyes/Cousins/Turbin. Just saw on Twitter that EFX is willing to trade down.

I think that Denver will trade down and pick up Osweiler/Reyes in the 2nd and get Turbin in the 3rd.

BroncoNut
Can anyone see Tannehill falling to 25 and would the Broncos take him if he did?

I can see us taking Weeden if he falls into the 3rd. Doubt he does but Colt McCoy did.

Remember Colt Brennan? How about Ian Johnson?

BroncoWave

If he gets past Miami and Cleveland I'll be shocked. Those two teams just need a QB too much. Maybe if neither one of them values him in the top 10 he will drop, but if you think he could even potentially be a franchise QB, you have to pull the trigger in the first round if you are a team like Cleveland or Miami. Teams like us need to be drafting an impact player who can start and help us win now, but teams like Cleveland and Miami can afford to take a QB who may not be ready right away if they think he will be a stud in the future.

Having said this, they shouldn't pick a QB in the top 10 just because they need one if they don't think he could be their FQB. Just depends on how those teams feel about Tannehill.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
sounds like Twitter is a valubable tool. I'm thinking about gettting an account.

topscribe
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
sounds like Twitter is a valubable tool. I'm thinking about gettting an account.
I'd follow you . . .

Northman
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Do it, then i will spam the shit out of you. :)

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos

The buzzword of the day from Elway's pre-draft presser: Fluid. Picking at 25 requires many contingency plans.

Elway said Denver has had "10 or 12" guys here at Dove Valley for interviews.

Elway draws plenty of laughs here when he deadpans that all the team has been looking at are media mock drafts.

Elway said the staff finished its draft board on Friday. Did first mock draft this morning.

Elway said team conducts many of its own mock drafts to come up with many scenarios for what might happen at No. 25. "It's so fluid."

Elway: "Peyton is not involved in the draft process."

Elway declines to reveal how many players are on #Broncos draft board this year.

Elway: "You can look at every position and say, 'They probably have a need there.'"

Elway: "We're going to take the best player available on the board when it comes to us."

Elway on QB class: "There are some guys that are good athletes that are going to have chance to be successful in the league."

Elway admits that turnover at defensive coordinator has affected Broncos' drafts over the years. "We want Jack to stay around," Elway said.

Elway: "We struggled all last year against teams that spread us out. ... You can never have enough good corners."

The Manning addition has changed #Broncos offensive philosphy, type of offensive players team is looking for, Elway said.

Elway: "We don't feel as bad about our [defensive] tackles as everyone else does." #broncos

Elway said Broncos "open" to moving. Said they would prefer to move back (rather than moving up) if another team wants No. 25. #broncos

Elway re: draft: "You have a lot more misses when you draft for need."

Elway: "We want to come out of every draft with players that will be impact players."

topscribe
04-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Nah, Den. Weeden wouldn't make any sense at all. Love him as a QB, but he would be well into his 30s before he could take over from Manning . . .

Nomad
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I heard Manning really wants Justin Blackmon!

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd follow you . . .

:shudder:

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I heard Manning really wants Justin Blackmon!

Is this Mr. Blackmon from the islands or something?

OrangeHoof
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
smokescreen.

Exactly. Few teams want to make it obvious what they are looking for in the draft. In Denver's case, it's obvious. If it's not a DT or a RB, I'll be shocked.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Is this Mr. Blackmon from the islands or something?

My Alaskan sources told me via text moments ago. BTW, he's from Chaz's favorite college!:lol:

Northman
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
:shudder:

You know you want to sit on Top's lap just like Capt. Kangaroo.

topscribe
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
That's a lie. Capt. Kangaroo never did sit on my lap . . .

Nomad
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Top would have to grow him some porkchop sideburns.

OrangeHoof
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Elway grew up in the NFL feeling/knowing that a strong offense makes your defense better. All through Manning's career, he's made his defense much better by having a strong offense. We won our Super Bowls by having a strong offense. The Patriots, this last season, had a TERRIBLE defense...yet nearly won the trophy. Today's NFL is structured around offense. Offense is the key to today's NFL. I won't be shocked, in the least, to see Denver draft a position/player that improves this offense.

Yeah, defensive linemen aren't important. Just ask the Super Bowl champions.

topscribe
04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Top would have to grow him some porkchop sideburns.
Might as well . . . that's one of the few places I can grow hair anymore . . .

Northman
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Might as well . . . that's one of the few places I can grow hair anymore . . .

:lol:

Nomad
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Here's PFT's latest mock.......BRONCOS take Doug Martin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/23/2012-mock-draft-take-three/

Carol, what's your inside sources telling you how the BRONCOS mock went? Who's at the top of their list?

topscribe
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Carol, what's your inside sources telling you how the BRONCOS mock went? Who's at the top of their list?
Wow, I would hate it if the Chiefs got Kuechly . . .

Northman
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Ugh, i hope we dont take Martin that high.

Traveler
04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Ugh, i hope we dont take Martin that high.

If they do go BPA and DT really isn't a priority for them in the 1st round, my guess is we'll be selecting a Miller two years running. See final mock below.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow, I would hate it if the Chiefs got Kuechly . . .

I don't see how he makes it to 11 but if does, Chiefs won't pass on him. I understand his strength is pass coverage and it would be a big benefit for the Chiefs especially facing Rivers, Manning, and Palmer twice in a season.

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
:cornerback:

MNPatsFan
04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah screw our front office who drafted the DROY last year and brought in the biggest FA ever. What a bunch of bums!BTB, I have to disagree with you regarding the "brought in the biggest FA ever" comment. Just off the top of my head I would say that Reggie White going to the Packers was bigger because that move made the Packers relevant and attractive again to players. Denver, on the other hand, was already relevant and attractive to players before PM signed with them this year.

I suspect that I could come up with some others that were bigger FA signings if I had the time or inclination to think about and/or research the issue more thoroughly.

rationalfan
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
response to the idea that "if denver doesn't draft a DT they're morons": that's the kind of GM-think i want for the other teams in denver's division. very myopic and reactive. not good for long-view team building.

also, there's a chorus of people who point out that the broncos often get gouged in the run game. but last year it was very apparent the broncos were most impacted by teams that could spread out the defense with the passing game. to me, the pass defense seemed to be the bigger problem.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
response to the idea that "if denver doesn't draft a DT they're morons": that's the kind of GM-think i want for the other teams in denver's division. very myopic and reactive. not good for long-view team building.

also, there's a chorus of people who point out that the broncos often get gouged in the run game. but last year it was very apparent the broncos were most impacted by teams that could spread out the defense with the passing game. to me, the pass defense seemed to be the bigger problem.

duh! when you have a QB sit in the pocket all day....they'll pick apart even the best of backfields

Northman
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
If they do go BPA and DT really isn't a priority for them in the 1st round, my guess is we'll be selecting a Miller two years running. See final mock below.

Yea, im not a Miller fan but at least he is projected to go that high.

Jsteve01
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I think it's funny that he acknowledged that "everyone else" thinks it's a need. I guess we're banking on two guys coming off the IR and the likes of Sealver Siliga, Unrein and Garland. Wow that's scary just thinking about it.

Nomad
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I would be extremely happy with Charlie's mock!

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie_1.php

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
My Alaskan sources told me via text moments ago. BTW, he's from Chaz's favorite college!:lol:

TAM seems to be bringing a nice clutch to the NFL table this year eh?

Nomad
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I think it's funny that he acknowledged that "everyone else" thinks it's a need. I guess we're banking on two guys coming off the IR and the likes of Sealver Siliga, Unrein and Garland. Wow that's scary just thinking about it.

Like I said earlier, it's a reoccuring complaint each game of the season, even by the ones blowing off the DT position at the moment, that QB's have too much time in their pocket due to a lack of interior pass rush by the BRONCOS. Regardless who they keep plugging into the secondary, it seems to always come back watching the pocket form around the QB and the receivers taking those extra seconds to get open. Put pressure on that QB and the secondary will get better.

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Only 3 I'd have interest in. Tannehill...sitting behind Manning for 3 years, Judie...to be the nickel and eventual #2 CB, and Fuller...as a posssession type receiver

turftoad
04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
:cornerback:

Thats what it sounds like to me too Mo.

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Thats what it sounds like to me too Mo.

Which means that's not what we're drafting...

Someone get mad because Elway lied again. :rolleyes:

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
If by some stroke of luck Kirkpatrick or Gilmore are available...i wouldnt be upset

turftoad
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Which means that's not what we're drafting...

Someone get mad because Elway lied again. :rolleyes:

Well, if and I say if, we are planning on putting a bunch of points on the board (which I think we will) that'll force our opponents to play catch up. And as Elway said, you can never have enough quality CB's. I'm sure it all depends on whos left on the board. In any round.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Elway-Pre-Draft-Press-Conference/7baaa8b3-bb09-4f1b-aa18-c6164a2125ba

John Elway Pre-Draft Press Conference
Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway talks about gearing up for the 2012 NFL Draft.

GEM
04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
It's pretty funny watching everyone taking one thing and spinning it in all different directions.

Well he said this so that MUST mean.......

:laugh:

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
It's pretty funny watching everyone taking one thing and spinning it in all different directions.

I thought just Tebow fans did that.... :confused:

:D

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Well, Elway is most likely fibbing through those giant white teeth...

Chef Zambini
04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Elway grew up in the NFL feeling/knowing that a strong offense makes your defense better. All through Manning's career, he's made his defense much better by having a strong offense. We won our Super Bowls by having a strong offense. The Patriots, this last season, had a TERRIBLE defense...yet nearly won the trophy. Today's NFL is structured around offense. Offense is the key to today's NFL. I won't be shocked, in the least, to see Denver draft a position/player that improves this offense.I think you capture the minbdset of the EFX group with hammer on the nail accuracy.
however, i dont necessarily agree with the concept. JE got this team to 3 superbowls with no defense or run game. How did those SB appearanbces taste?
run the ball. play good defense, including stopping the run! those are the teams that hold up the trophy! its the reason why vince lombardi's name is on the trophy !
run the ball, stop the run, as true today as it was in 1966 !

GEM
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, Elway is most likely fibbing through those giant white teeth...

While that lush Bowlen is sucking down a $5.00 pint of Skol Vodka in his trailer home.

BORDERLINE
04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't want us to reach for a DT this team is not sold ON. My only cause for concern is why we won't address it in FA or move up do whatever to make sure you get the guy you WANT. If there hedging their bets hoping a DT will just fall on their LAP.....SMH

We are ready to kick azz THIS SEASON ....ALL IN!!!!

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
While that lush Bowlen is sucking down a $5.00 pint of Skol Vodka in his trailer home.

Pat doesn't drink cheap shit. That's why he never has money to spend on the Broncos.

GEM
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Pat doesn't drink cheap shit. That's why he never has money to spend on the Broncos.

I had typed out expensive cognac in his mahogany lined study, but I didn't know if it went well with his cheap ******* schtick. :D

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
If Brockers is there at 25 and they don't get him then it will be a mistake. Same is true with Kirkpatrick or Gilmore or Cox or Kuechly. There are plenty of good players at positions of need that could drop. A RB, WR, or QB is not a position of need at #25. There will be good RB's in the 2nd or 3rd round and the team has some talent at WR. I also wouldn't be pissed if they picked up someone for the OLine, after all protecting Manning is pretty damn important.

Not getting a DT in the first 3 rounds wouldn't surprise me either. After all why change a decade+ long trend for this team.

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Yes his swimming pool is full of Belvedere.

Simple Jaded
04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
John Elway is entitled to his wrong opinion.......

bcbronc
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I disagree that running back isn't a first round need. I don't like taking backs in rd1 but we're in desperate need for at least one more high quality ball carrier.

silkamilkamonico
04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
John Elway is entitled to his wrong opinion.......

We gave up 40+ points last year in only 28% of our games last year. John Elway obviously isn't wrong about this.

Tebowtime2011
04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I think he means because since there is such a strong DT class this year that 1st round caliber DT can wait till the 2nd round

Simple Jaded
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
We gave up 40+ points last year in only 28% of our games last year. John Elway obviously isn't wrong about this.

I'm well aware of that. My point; Ty Warren, Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson, Mitch Unrein and Ben Garland. Garbage! If you and John Elway think DT is not one their biggest needs then you are, IMO, wrong. I won't be upset at all if Denver passes on any of these DT's, I wouldn't blame them at all. I'm just referring to his comments about whether or not it's as big of a need as most people think (whether or not he meant what he said), imo the Broncos have garbage at DT.......

arapaho2
04-23-2012, 10:01 PM

john...were hommies an all...but you whacked...we have needed a quality DT for years...every off season the fans who watch our defense get shredded...see where the need is...and we always nearly to a degree consistantly agree...stud DT is a priority...alas...every off season we watch the broncos ignore the need and try to get by with average joes.......john...get a studd dt

Tebowtime2011
04-23-2012, 10:14 PM
My #1 piece of evidence on why we need a DT is marion barber destroyed us even though he fumbled he had a fantastic game against us running in between the tackles now if he can have a huge game against us and we had better group of DTs last year so we are desperate but as long as we get at least a 2nd round DT that's fine

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE= there's a chorus of people who point out that the broncos often get gouged in the run game. but last year it was very apparent the broncos were most impacted by teams that could spread out the defense with the passing game. to me, the pass defense seemed to be the bigger problem.[/QUOTE]

Lets take a look at last year. Which teams torched us for 40+? Packers, Lions, Patriots almost twice, and the Bills. The Bills scored 21 of their points on defense but none of the other teams used their dominant running games to spank our asses. Really, the only teams that had good games running the ball were the Raiders, Vikings, and the Steelers. How many other running backs went over 100 yards? Maybe Tolbert and the Chargers but we won that game along with two of the other three mentioned. I'd have to say that The Chorus is full of Fat ladies, and we all know what time it is when they start singing.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Lets take a look at last year. Which teams torched us for 40+? Packers, Lions, Patriots almost twice, and the Bills. The Bills scored 21 of their points on defense but none of the other teams used their dominant running games to spank our asses. Really, the only teams that had good games running the ball were the Raiders, Vikings, and the Steelers. How many other running backs went over 100 yards? Maybe Tolbert and the Chargers but we won that game along with two of the other three mentioned. I'd have to say that The Chorus is full of Fat ladies, and we all know what time it is when they start singing.

Defensive tackle is as much a part of pass defense as defensive backs are. Also the games you're talking about Denver had multiple turnovers as well as scores by the opposing defense.

Northman
04-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Defensive tackle is as much a part of pass defense as defensive backs are. Also the games you're talking about Denver had multiple turnovers as well as scores by the opposing defense.

You mean the past 8 years guys like Champ, Lynch, Dawkins, etc couldnt get it done? Say it aint so Joe! lol

Jsteve01
04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
You'll see the back 4 benefit a lot more from good defensive line play than the line benefitting from the dbs.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
You mean the past 8 years guys like Champ, Lynch, Dawkins, etc couldnt get it done? Say it aint so Joe! lol

They need help. If the bpa is a defensive tackle I have no problem with it at all.

BroncoNut
04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Elway needs some major dental work and Peyton needs a cosmetic labotomy

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm well aware of that. My point; Ty Warren, Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson, Mitch Unrein and Ben Garland. Garbage! If you and John Elway think DT is not one their biggest needs then you are, IMO, wrong. I won't be upset at all if Denver passes on any of these DT's, I wouldn't blame them at all. I'm just referring to his comments about whether or not it's as big of a need as most people think (whether or not he meant what he said), imo the Broncos have garbage at DT.......

If you honestly think giving up 40+ points in 28% of your games is ok, then DT is certainly not a need for this team.

BroncoWave
04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
If you honestly think giving up 40+ points in 28% of your games is ok, then DT is certainly not a need for this team.

That 40+ point stat is so damn misleading. If you take out the touchdowns the defense scored for other teams in those 40+ point games, then neither Detroit nor Buffalo score 40 on us. That just leaves Green Bay and New England who dropped 40 points on quite a few teams. Our defense was not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to have been last year.

But yeah, I would assume you have watched more game tape and have seen the DTs every day in the facility and at practice more than Elway and Fox have, so I can see how you're more qualified to judge that position.

Cugel
04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Lmao. Well, we shall see. If we keep getting gouged by opposing running games i would think it would be safe to say he was wrong. We shall see what happens come the draft, etc.

We've heard this same story for the last 10 years "we don't think our DTs are as bad as everybody else." And every year they sucked. The "other people" were right and the Broncos organization was wrong!

They seem perfectly happy with the losers they have on the roster right now: Vickerson (career backup) Ty Warren (hasn't played a snap since 2009 and is 34 years old), and Mitch Unrein (who?).

If they don't get a DT in the draft that leaves scraping the barrel in June & July for some FA leftovers cut from some other team.

And we know exactly where that leads from seasons past: Say hello to another Jamal Williams, Sam Adams, DeWayne Robertson, Ron Fields, Antwon Burton, or Le Kevin Smith, etc.

In short their DTs are worthless and their run defense will go from bad to worse since they lost the only 1/2 way decent run defender they had last year in Bunkley.

If that happens I'm not going to hold back my criticism nor I think will any other Broncos fans who are on them about getting some DECENT DTs.

They were counting on Vickerson and Warren LAST year too, and neither got out of training camp, but at least they had Bunkley and Thomas so it wasn't a total disaster. This year it WOULD be a total disaster if any of their DTs are injured.

xzn
04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Here's how to tell if ANY front office person in the league is lying this time of year... just see if their lips are moving!

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
That 40+ point stat is so damn misleading. If you take out the touchdowns the defense scored for other teams in those 40+ point games, then neither Detroit nor Buffalo score 40 on us. That just leaves Green Bay and New England who dropped 40 points on quite a few teams. Our defense was not nearly as bad as people like you make it out to have been last year.

LOL I bet you like powdered sugar on your donuts as well.

But yeah, I would assume you have watched more game tape and have seen the DTs every day in the facility and at practice more than Elway and Fox have, so I can see how you're more qualified to judge that position.

18 games is enough in this day and age. Try paying attention to the NFL you might actually learn enough to actually form your own opinion.

Tned
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Fans have been screaming to draft a DT in the first round for what, five, six or more years? Three front offices and 5+ drafts they have chosen to go another direction. It wouldn't shock me one bit if they believe that their current DT's can get the job done and pick up DT depth in the 3rd round or higher.

BroncoWave
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
LOL I bet you like powdered sugar on your donuts as well.

18 games is enough in this day and age. Try paying attention to the NFL you might actually learn enough to actually form your own opinion.

I do have my own opinions, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more about how good a player is than the people who are paid to determine that for a living. We don't see practices, workouts, game plans, and all of the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

Also, way to completely dodge the first point I made. Facts hurt, huh? Although the fact that you cite the Bills game (one in which they had THREE defensive/ST touchdowns), and the Lions game (where they had two defensive TDs) as games in which our D gave up 40+ points completely ruins your credibility on the matter in the first place.

CoachChaz
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I guess it comes down to common sense for me. There are a few positions where you can find talent in later rounds and even in UDFA (OL...other than LT...WR, CB, RB), but there are a few you have to take when the opportunity presents itself. QB, LT and DL. Those are probably the 3 positions that ALL teams should focus on in the 1st round if they are needs

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I do have my own opinions, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more about how good a player is than the people who are paid to determine that for a living. We don't see practices, workouts, game plans, and all of the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

We're all arrogant in our own ways, including yourself. Let's just call it how it is.

We don't have to see behind the scenes footage of having our own opinions that differ from the front office. Front offices are wrong in sports, it happens every year actually.

Also, way to completely dodge the first point I made. Facts hurt, huh? Although the fact that you cite the Bills game (one in which they had THREE defensive/ST touchdowns) as one in which the D gave up 40+ points completely ruins your credibility on the matter in the first place.

You have a point. The last 13 seasons, DT was easily one of the worst, and most ignored position on the field. But this time it's different because the front office says so. Too bad for your case front offices have been wrong before, especially this one about the draft last year except your argument of "they drafted the DROY!".

NightTerror218
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
We're all arrogant in our own ways, including yourself. Let's just call it how it is.

We don't have to see behind the scenes footage of having our own opinions that differ from the front office. Front offices are wrong in sports, it happens every year actually.

You have a point. The last 13 seasons, DT was easily one of the worst, and most ignored position on the field. But this time it's different because the front office says so. Too bad for your case front offices have been wrong before, especially this one about the draft last year except your argument of "they drafted the DROY!".

And might have bombed on all the other picks. Hard to miss at #2.

Traveler
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Fans have been screaming to draft a DT in the first round for what, five, six or more years? Three front offices and 5+ drafts they have chosen to go another direction. It wouldn't shock me one bit if they believe that their current DT's can get the job done and pick up DT depth in the 3rd round or higher.

I'm guessing if Brockers isn't there, it's Miller and DT will be addressed in round 2 or 3.

BroncoWave
04-24-2012, 01:35 PM

:lol: You're STILL dodging my point. Just admit it. You were wrong about that 40+ point stat having any significance.

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
:lol: You're STILL dodging my point. Just admit it. You were wrong about that 40+ point stat having any significance.

I am wrong about the defense allowing 5 40+ point games. Big deal. Congratulations on your gold star for the day. I am not wrong that this defense has gaping holes, in the middle, and needs to be a lot better for this team to contend.

Can you admit you were wrong about the front office always knowing what's right for the organization in having a positive affect?

I see that you chosen to completely ignore, AGAIN, that terrible argument you keep making about the front office "drafted the DROY" last year, and completely ignoring the fact that the rest of the draft was not good, specifically the defensive players?

CoachChaz
04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

I'm guessing if Brockers isn't there, it's Miller and DT will be addressed in round 2 or 3.

I pray Miller has a brain. Any time I hear an interview with him, it shocks me that Claiborne had the lowest Wonderlic score. Dude is DUMB

topscribe
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Miller Time again. Well, that wouldn't hurt my feelings.

To end up with, say, Miller and Brandon Thompson would help me to sleep the next night . . .

topscribe
04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
I pray Miller has a brain. Any time I hear an interview with him, it shocks me that Claiborne had the lowest Wonderlic score. Dude is DUMB
Fortunately, he runs through lines, not talks through them . . . :)

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
DT isthe position w/ the biggest bust rate. I'd much rather grab a safer position which can contibute now and then grab a couple of early/mid rounders at DT to see who steps up. THis draft may be DT deep, but that doesn't mean that the options are spectacular. IMHO, there isn't much decline from Worthy to Reyes to Still to Mike Martin to THompson to Winn to...well...you get the point. There will be a solid DT option at 57.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
What?.......

Cugel
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM

Also, way to completely dodge the first point I made. Facts hurt, huh? Although the fact that you cite the Bills game (one in which they had THREE defensive/ST touchdowns), and the Lions game (where they had two defensive TDs) as games in which our D gave up 40+ points completely ruins your credibility on the matter in the first place.

I'm not going to say that I can out-scout the professional scouts and say which DTs they should take, but I DAMN SURE can look at what the defense has done since 2005 and say without fear of contradiction that their DTs have utterly SUCKED during that period!

The litany of failure and incompetence is endless. I'm not going to repeat the sorry list of Denver's starting DTs over that period. Which of them was EVER any good?

Or even adequate?

Bunkley was the ONE DT they've had who wasn't horrible and they let him go. Admittedly he wasn't great, but he and Thomas were at least arguably adequate (if decidedly mediocre) starters.

A rotation of Warren, Vickerson, Thomas, and Bunkley would be perhaps AVERAGE. Of course they didn't have it because Vickerson and Warren got injured in training camp and were out for the season.

Who on God's earth would replace EITHER Vickerson or Warren this season if either had to miss a game? As bad as a starting rotation of those two is, it's MUCH worse than that because those two guys can't play the entire game.

So, even if you blithely assume that both will be healthy the entire season (a dubious proposition), then the Broncos DT rotation will vary between barely adequate and total SCRUB.

They don't even have Ryan McBean, who despite being a career backup got them 4 sacks last year and was the DT who got them the most snaps.

It's not a problem? :eek:

It's BEYOND a "problem", it's an UTTER VOID!

Slick
04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I watched part of Elway's presser on the official site yesterday. " We've got Vickerson and Ty Warren coming back from injury along with a couple of young guys..." with a straight face.

:bandit:

nevcraw
04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Elway is tearing this draft apart

rationalfan
04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
this logic is why i don't feel the need to draft a DT (a position i consider largely developmental) early:

Please underline what Elway recently said about the draft: "The bottom line is we want to come out of every draft and we want to come with players who are going to be impact players."

Five-year plans in the NFL are for losers.

Read more: Kiszla: Broncos' John Elway wants an impact player in NFL draft - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_20482683/nfl-draft-broncos-john-elway-wants-an-impact#ixzz1tA5iR7h0
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

topscribe
04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Elway is tearing this draft apart
I heard and read remarks such as that last year.

That was before Miller, Franklin, Carter, etc. . . .

Lancane
04-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I still believe Osweiler at the 25th pick is an option for them, despite the misgivings of the anti-quarterback or anti-Osweiler fans. I mentioned a few months back that we could see a offense heavy draft even before nabbing Manning - it makes even more sense now. Not to mention that the Broncos are in contract negotiations with Marcus Thomas on a long-term deal.

bcbronc
04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
QB at 25 makes zero sense. The QB will be coming into a developmental situation, he doesn't need to be ready to play in year 1 or even year 2. And we have too many positions that need the starters upgraded to use our first on a guy we have no intentions of using for 2-4 years.

Lancane
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
QB at 25 makes zero sense. The QB will be coming into a developmental situation, he doesn't need to be ready to play in year 1 or even year 2. And we have too many positions that need the starters upgraded to use our first on a guy we have no intentions of using for 2-4 years.

Again, you don't know when they'll need him - despite the misgivings because of what people feel the team needs in comparison to how they themselves may see it. And as I've said before I'm pretty sure that Green Bay felt the same way about Aaron Rodgers, 49er fans complained about the trade for Steve Young, even Shanahan drafted Cutler under the impression he'd sit for a season or two. Manning's contract have clauses in it which protect the team, and even if he plays two or three years, the idea for them that Hanie or Weber may run the offense might not be appealing as a long-term answer!

topscribe
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Again, you don't know when they'll need him - despite the misgivings because of what people feel the team needs in comparison to how they themselves may see it. And as I've said before I'm pretty sure that Green Bay felt the same way about Aaron Rodgers, 49er fans complained about the trade for Steve Young, even Shanahan drafted Cutler under the impression he'd sit for a season or two. Manning's contract have clauses in it which protect the team, and even if he plays two or three years, the idea for them that Hanie or Weber may run the offense might not be appealing as a long-term answer!
Green Bay has always seemingly been a BPA drafter. That is what happened with Rodgers. He was the BPA, so they took him.

But where I get the feeling they will not take a QB in the first two or three rounds is Elway's proclamation that they want a player with immediate impact.

Foles in the fourth? Far more likely, IMO. Not that I wouldn't like to see Osweiler donning the Orange & Blue. I just don't see it falling that way now . . .

Lancane
04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Green Bay has always seemingly been a BPA drafter. That is what happened with Rodgers. He was the BPA, so they took him.

But where I get the feeling they will not take a QB in the first two or three rounds is Elway's proclamation that they want a player with immediate impact.

Foles in the fourth? Far more likely, IMO. Not that I wouldn't like to see Osweiler donning the Orange & Blue. I just don't see it falling that way now . . .

You mean the same Elway that said that Tebow was the starter going into camp but was trying to shop him at the combine, before Manning even decided to come to Denver? The same Elway that said they had faith in Tebow progressing into a legit quarterback, yet made a move for an injured, high priced veteran that could be on his last leg in a matter of a few hits for a whopping 96 million?

While Elway has proclaimed Denver to be more open with the fans, we should expect some deceptiveness because that is part of the business. Believing that they'll be upfront and honest all the time about everything would be sort of naive on our parts.

And you may be right Top, but I have a hard time believing that they expended the type of energy they did on Osweiler compared to others on their list in the draft for nothing. Not that I wouldn't mind them taking Foles, it's just that is sort of lame...even if as a smokescreen.