PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Aboard by Elvis Dumervil

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/dumervil/welcome-aboard/

by Elvis Dumervil

So the draft is behind us and I have to say I’m pretty excited. I’ve seen flashes of guys we got. The DE, Ayers, I’ve seen him at Tennessee — he’s pretty good. So I thought that was a great addition for us. Then the running back for sure. I think we did great with all the picks, getting the players that we needed to get. So now we’re trying to get everybody in here together this weekend with the mini-camp and get this thing rolling.

I’m excited to meet all the rookies. They’re part of the team, and we want to welcome them on board so we can try to achieve this goal we’re trying to achieve. So that should make this weekend exciting. It’s been a great atmosphere so far, so I’m looking forward to meeting these guys and embracing them as part of the team.

Being around this weekend makes me think of what my draft experience was like. It was alright. I thought I should have been drafted a little higher, but I was still blessed I got drafted. Then I was just trying to come in and make the team, especially being a fourth-rounder, there’s not much guaranteed. I knew what I could do, you’ve just got to come out and prove yourself and make a name for yourself.

I feel for these rookies. Leading up to getting drafted, it’s just a long process. It takes too long to try to decide where you’re going to be at. Your life is ahead of you and you don’t know where you’re going to be. So it’s kind of a good thing when you finally know which team is going to draft you.

But it doesn’t end there — that rookie year is the hardest year. There’s no relaxing. Through the whole Combine, Senior Bowl, then you get drafted and it’s mini-camps, you’ve got the Rookie Symposium, then you’ve got the preseason.

The longest year ever is the rookie year. I hope the guys are ready for that — it’s a grind. But after the first year it gets easier.

But speaking of the Combine — it’s good for some things, I think it should be accounted for, but it should be more 70 percent your film and 30 percent Combine. These days it’s the opposite — if you run a good 40, you’re going to get drafted in the first round. That’s why there’s so many busts out here — it’s not that these guys are busts, they just did exactly what they did in college. You label guys busts, it’s not that they’re busts, you just overrated them. He did what he did in college. Some guys could blossom, but it’s crazy the measurables they go by.

But that’s why scouts get paid to do what they do and I get paid to do what I do.

Anyway, back to this weekend — this mini-camp is about just working on the details of everything. Just getting the packages, the foundation of it down. I think we’ve got a long way to go — we’ve made strides, but we’ve still got a long way to go. We’re excited that football’s back, so it’s a good thing to be out there with the team and be able to compete.

But there’s one problem with the schedule this weeked. Here’s the thing — I can’t even go to the Derby this year. I’ve got like a four, five year streak of going to the Kentucky Derby that’s going to be snapped. Instead, I’ve got to study. So I don’t think I’ll have much time — I’ll have to DVR it or something.

I went to Louisville for college, so you know I know a lot of people there. It’s good treatment, just good to be back in your college town, enjoy the scenery, watch the horse race then go to some parties.

But mini-camp is fun, so at least I’m missing it for a good reason. So I hope everybody’s going to watch the Derby, and know that while it’s on we’re hard at work here at the facility getting ready to get this season rolling.

T.K.O.
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
doom is just too cool,love his attitude i really miss foxworth's blogs
he always kept us up to date and informed without the "media-bias" on every issue:salute:

BroncoTech
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I like ol' Doom, i just wish he'd put a superbowl win on the old DVR this season.

Joel
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice bit of perspective nestled in there: Doom was a 4th rounder and he may be the best DE we've got, is probably the most likely to transition well from DE to OLB if we go to a 3-4. We'll begin to see over the next few months what we really got in this draft, and there could be some positive and negative surprises. Here's hoping there's a lot of the positive and few of the negative ones.

Dr Velcro
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
WHAH??????

He's not coming into town this weekend?!!!?!?!

MAN.........!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys have a GOOD player in Elvis. SO lucky to have him.

You just don't miss Derby time.

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:18 PM
WHAH??????

He's not coming into town this weekend?!!!?!?!

MAN.........!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys have a GOOD player in Elvis. SO lucky to have him.

You just don't miss Derby time.

Are you going Doc? I want breasticle pics of the crazy ladies.

Dr Velcro
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Are you going Doc? I want breasticle pics of the crazy ladies.

Couldn't get tickets to get infield this year.

Going to the Derby Eve Party at the Hill & taking Nut with me.

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Couldn't get tickets to get infield this year.

Going to the Derby Eve Party at the Hill & taking Nut with me.

Be safe, and take a horse condom in case gets drunk. I dont want one of the thoroughbred horses to get the swine flu from him.

Dr Velcro
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Be safe, and take a horse condom in case gets drunk. I dont want one of the thoroughbred horses to get the swine flu from him.

Louisville is the place to be right now.

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Louisville is the place to be right now.

I used to live a couple hours south of there. I loved the Kentucky/Tenessee area.

Dr Velcro
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I used to live a couple hours south of there. I loved the Kentucky/Tenessee area.

Elvis digs it too. A lot harder to run into the guy now though. You'd see him in a club while he was in college and it'd be no big deal. I should've made him sign my hat :tsk:

Got to see him practice/ play back in the day. Go Cards!

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
:welcome:

T.K.O.
04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
:welcome:

i gotta know what that avatar is about...where is the pic from?
it kinda creeps me out for some reason :shocked:

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 02:40 PM

its me

thanks for the insult :(

claymore
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Carl has Lou Gehrigs disease. :sad:

Foochacho
04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
It's Louie Anderson morphed with Conan O'brian and a Garbage Pail Kid.

T.K.O.
05-01-2009, 03:51 PM
It's Louie Anderson morphed with Conan O'brian and a Garbage Pail Kid.

yeah it's weird it almost looks real but has to be computer generated

T.K.O.
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
its me

thanks for the insult :(

if thats true i apologize but the pic looks like cgg....c'mon im new here dont mess with me

SOCALORADO.
05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
if thats true i apologize but the pic looks like cgg....c'mon im new here dont mess with me

:shocked::lol::salute: