PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins is officially retiring

Zweems56
04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
The Lord has blessed me to play in the NFL for 16 years. I would like to thank the Eagles & the Broncos 4 believing In me. I would like 2 thank all my teammates & Coaches that I have been blessed 2 go to battle with. Along with u, the fans 4 helping make my career 1 that i have enjoyed tremendously. In other words. I am announcing my retirement from the NFL. #BBTB

I'm sure they'll announce soon

Jsteve01
04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
love that guy. I became a fan of his while we were in Philly. He was the heart and soul of that Eagles team. Needless to say my friends in the city of brotherly lover were pissed when my team got him. I'll always appreciate his effort and drive. He was also a fantastic leader. This team will miss that leadership in the back 4.

camdisco24
04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Class act. That's the best way to describe Brain Dawkins as a person.

Beast. That's the best way to describe Dawk on the field.

Awesome career. Thanks for 3 great seasons!

iLands
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll miss you =[

I wish you the best of everything in life.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
congrats Dawk the Hawk.

Chef Zambini
04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
we need big time help in the secondary. Is it finally tiome to move champ to safety?
can we sign dawk as a coach/ !

Dapper Dan
04-23-2012, 09:28 AM
"ESPN NFL - 6-time All-Pro S Brian Dawkins (Eagles 1996-2008, Broncos 2009-11) announced retirement on Twitter"

That's good of him to do it before the draft.

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 09:31 AM
"ESPN NFL - 6-time All-Pro S Brian Dawkins (Eagles 1996-2008, Broncos 2009-11) announced retirement on Twitter"

actually, yeah it is. I wasn't thinking of that.

vandammage13
04-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I liked BDawk, but I can't say it wasn't time....The game has passed him by.

Glad he had the balls to hang it up when it was time instead of trying to hang on when it's clear he can't hold up physically anymore...

Many pros don't know when to call it quits, BDawk clearly did.

Dzone
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Gonna miss Dawk. Hope those young guys can step it up

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
from article:

Reached a few minutes ago, Dawkins said he wrestled with this decision and asked for a little more time before conducting an interview. “I’m a little emotional right now,” he said.

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/23/brian-dawkins-retires/13101/

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
John Elway ‏ @johnelway

Congratulations on a Hall of Fame career, Dawk!!!

John Elway ‏ @johnelway

Thank you, @BrianDawkins, for being a GREAT Bronco and showing such an incredible commitment to your team and community...

MileHighCrew
04-23-2012, 10:39 AM
He might go down as an Eagle great, as he should, but he was one hell of a Bronco. Hats off to you.

EastCoastBronco
04-23-2012, 10:44 AM
His leadership will be missed.
Someone will have to step up and lead that D...

Northman
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Understandable and probably the smart move. Thanks for all you did for the Broncos BDawk.

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
HOF Safety. NFL will miss him.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
HOF bound. He needs to coach. He would be an amazing coach.

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
He's going to be missed.

I have zero doubt that he could still out play any other Bronco safety right now.

Houston, we have a problem.

topscribe
04-23-2012, 11:42 AM
This says it all:

http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2012/04-April/120307_dawkins14--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 11:50 AM
^ says alot. cool photo

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Denver coach John Fox just released a statement on the retirement of Denver safety Brian Dawkins. I will be back soon with some thoughts on Dawkins leaving the game.

Here is Fox’s statement:

“Brian Dawkins is one of the best to ever play the game, a future Hall of Famer who changed the way his position is played. In many ways, he helped my job as a coach with his great leadership and preparation. He brought so much to the table, and was such an enormous asset to our football team.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/43021/coach-lauds-retired-dawkins

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Team needs:

SS

DT

RB

QB

WR

I hope get 2-3 starters from the draft. With all of those needs it will make sense to go BPA available out of any of those positions.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
We already knew that Brian Dawkins was among the NFL’s most respected players. But just how much current and former players, as well as media folks nationwide, respect the now former Broncos safety became clear today after Dawkins announced his retirement after 16 years. He played his first 13 years in Philadelphia, and has been a Bronco since 2009.

Here’s a sampling of posts from Twitter today after Dawkins’ announcement:

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/23/reactions-nfl-social-media-dawkins/13119/

TimHippo
04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Team needs:

SS

DT

RB

QB

WR

I hope get 2-3 starters from the draft. With all of those needs it will make sense to go BPA available out of any of those positions.

Don't need a QB.

It's a wasted pick to draft a QB when you can get Peyton help on offense or shore up the defense.

If Manning goes down, teams screwed anyway, and then all you have to do is tank the season and enter the QB sweepstakes the following year.

topscribe
04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Team needs:

SS

DT

RB

QB

WR

Don't need a QB.

It's a wasted pick to draft a QB when you can get Peyton help on offense or shore up the defense.

If Manning goes down, teams screwed anyway, and then all you have to do is tank the season and enter the QB sweepstakes the following year.
You guys lost? :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Brian Dawkins Video Tribute
Broncos TV puts together the highlights from Brian Dawkins' career in Denver.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Brian-Dawkins-Video-Tribute/b9050751-3b8c-4b03-a572-c6b65ad08da0

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:55 PM
You guys lost? :confused:

I see what hippo is saying. Assuming Peyton is on the roster going into the season, drafting a qb early would be a waste because he wouldn't see any time for 2-3 years. and being that he's a late round pick, yoiu may as well trash the season if Peyton does go down.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos

Dawkins will do a conference call with Denver media in about 25 minutes, at noon MDT.

Philadelphia Eagles announce a Saturday press conference at team facility for Dawkins retirement.

From Philly ... RT @Jeff_McLane: Brian Dawkins has an open invitation from the #Eagles to come back and retire as Eagle, team source said.

I'm sure you're already following @BrianDawkins, but I'm sure he'd love to see your well wishes. Thisis a very difficult day for him.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Dawkins said he and his family are going to remain living in Denver. "I'll raise my kids here," he said.

This is GREAT - hopefully there will be a place with the Broncos for him.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Dawkins said he and his family are going to remain living in Denver. "I'll raise my kids here," he said.

This is GREAT - hopefully there will be a place with the Broncos for him.

He was also quoted as wanting to coach high school level football.

Gray Caldwell ‏ @gray_dbdotcom

Dawkins said he wants to do some coaching at the high school level. Said he could've played another year, which gave him "peace" w decision.
Retweeted by Denver Broncos

Davii
04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Dawk will be missed. What a career, amazing player, but his skills on a football field pale in comparison to what type of man and teammate he is. First ballot hall of famer, no doubt in my opinion. Our young guys in center field better step it up, there is some massive size 20 shoes to fill.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I was hoping Dawk would come back for one more year. One of my favorite all time players to don a Broncos uniform. A big loss for the team. Congratz on a great career.

You don't often find somebody as humble and gracious as Dawk. A class act through and through without a doubt.

ShaneFalco
04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
gunna hurt losing him this year. no leaders on D left cept Champ. time to trade for Byrd!

FanInAZ
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM

actually, yeah it is. I wasn't thinking of that.

Favre is the only one that comes to mind that didn't have enough class to let his team know one way or another prior to the draft. I believe that Elway made his official announcement shortly after the start of FA that year. I don't mind Dawk taking this much time to decide, but pulling a Favre (who pulled the same stunt 4 or 5 years in a row) wouldn’t have been acceptable.

Chef Zambini
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
He was also quoted as wanting to coach high school level football.

Gray Caldwell ‏ @gray_dbdotcom

Dawkins said he wants to do some coaching at the high school level. .
Retweeted by Denver Broncos

does that mean he is going to the cheifs, or just that he plans to model his coaching style after JMCD ?