PDA

View Full Version : Does the addition of Garland change how we draft

Mannway187
04-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Heres what is being said about our newest DT:
"Garland was a training camp phenom two years ago, impressing the coaches with his work ethic and regularly outracing quarterback Tim Tebow in post-practice wind sprints."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7837786/ben-garland-gets-early-release-us-air-force-joins-denver-broncos

Sounds like this kid is the real deal. Now we can definately trade out of the first round and pick up a couple additional later picks.

TXBRONC
04-23-2012, 07:33 AM
You're kidding right?

Nomad
04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Never heard of him.....at least I don't remember.

At least one thing is for sure, all the guessing will end on Thursday.

Jsteve01
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
They liked him a ton but he's an effort/motor guy and not an earth mover. I would be amazed if he is heavier than say 285 right now. All that said I'm pulling for him because he's a Grand Junction kid.

Simple Jaded
04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Even if Garland turns out to be the Next Dan Hampton it doesn't mean you can't find another starter at 25, even another DT. It's not like Garland makes Beadles and Walton less pathetic, or Champ Bailey, Ty Warren and Willis McGahee any younger.......

rationalfan
04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
i love how the posts on this thread run the spectrum from overly optimistic to overly pessimistic.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I want to see what he can do. He cant be worse then McBean.

hotcarl
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
yes, now we are all set at DT and we can concentrate on getting some more tight ends

DenBronx
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm more worried about the void of Dawkins at this point. We were terrible when he wasnt playing.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm more worried about the void of Dawkins at this point. We were terrible when he wasnt playing.

we were terrible when he was playing. He has deteriorated so much, that he's just not a factor anymore with his play. Sure he has the mind to lead, but his skillset has dropped off badly.... which is why a team like Philly was willing to let an icon of their team, go.

NightTerror218
04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
we were terrible when he was playing. He has deteriorated so much, that he's just not a factor anymore with his play. Sure he has the mind to lead, but his skillset has dropped off badly.... which is why a team like Philly was willing to let an icon of their team, go.

I have to disagree. He was awesome on the field when healthy. he led the defense and kept them on track. The secondary was ripped when he was not there.

rationalfan
04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
i think you're both right about dawkins. he was great and did lead the defense. and he was slow and old, often in the same game.

LTC Pain
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Hmmm, 275 is light for a DT. If Garland doesn't gain 25+ pounds the Broncos might use him at DE. Either way he is a longshot to make the roster and will likely end up on the Practice Squad. Garland plays with a high motor and I hope he does well in training camp. Doubt Garland affects the Broncos draft at all.

FanInAZ
04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think that this does have much effect on EXF's draft day strategy because they've known all along that Garland was navigating through the red tape to make this possible. That's probably why they were so willing let all of those DTs go earlier. So while many of the members of this site were questioning the competency of EXF because they weren't going after the players that the fans wanted (many of whom did the exact thing last year), EXF were focused on the players that they believed were the best fit for this team. Maybe Garland will exceed the fans expectations this year just as Willis McGahee did last year.

Chef Zambini
04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
no, i think we still turn in a piece of paper with a name, position and former school on it.

nevcraw
04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
we got torn up after he got hurt.. you could see his absence in the sloppy play and the lack of cohesion. Plus he played really well last year for what he was asked to do..

Simple Jaded
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Mike Adams won't be much of a drop off from Dawkins, imo. Dawkins was a solid asset on the field right to the day he got hurt but his actual play can certainly be replaced.......

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2012, 08:56 PM
The answer to the question is NO. Even if the coaches do like him, he's not so talented as to change the draft board. Besides, if EGX sticks w/ BPA, then it doesn't much matter who we add.

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 01:38 AM
You're kidding right?

Appearantly not.
Elway: "DT not nearly the need people think it is" Does it change how we draft? NO. Because the front office isn't as concerned about the defensive front four as the fans are. If Fox and Del Rio have confidence in the DTs currently on the roster then obviously we won't be picking one.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Appearantly not.
Elway: "DT not nearly the need people think it is" Does it change how we draft? NO. Because the front office isn't as concerned about the defensive front four as the fans are. If Fox and Del Rio have confidence in the DTs currently on the roster then obviously we won't be picking one.

But why would you think that Garland even factors into that confidence? He's literally never played a down in the NFL.......

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 03:44 AM
But why would you think that Garland even factors into that confidence? He's literally never played a down in the NFL.......

Maybe that confidence comes from Garlands having participated in and completed training camp as a member of the Broncos in 2010. Had it not been for his Air Force commitment he would have been on the opening day roster in 2010. If he were a member of this years draft class he would likely be a 2nd round selection. Except that he actually has a six week head start. OK maybe preseason games can't be considered when deciding literal game experience, but you do line up accross from other actual NFL caliber competition some of which may even be 1st team linemen. You practice against your own teams offensive line every day for six weeks. Some of those practices and preseason games get taped and coaches can even watch those tapes and evaluate players. The Broncos probably have an entire library of these tapes, so the chances of them being able to go back and look at Garlands 2010 training camp performance may have given them a reason to be confident that the kid might be able to play some DT for them. Or maybe not. Maybe they don't watch the hours of practice tapes when they evaluate and make roster decisions, maybe they simply flip a coin, heads he's in, tails he's out. How else would they get the coinflipping practice they'll need once the literal season starts?

Simple Jaded
04-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Maybe that confidence comes from Garlands having participated in and completed training camp as a member of the Broncos in 2010. Had it not been for his Air Force commitment he would have been on the opening day roster in 2010.

If he were a member of this years draft class he would likely be a 2nd round selection. Except that he actually has a six week head start.

OK maybe preseason games can't be considered when deciding literal game experience, but you do line up accross from other actual NFL caliber competition some of which may even be 1st team linemen. You practice against your own teams offensive line every day for six weeks. Some of those practices and preseason games get taped and coaches can even watch those tapes and evaluate players. The Broncos probably have an entire library of these tapes, so the chances of them being able to go back and look at Garlands 2010 training camp performance may have given them a reason to be confident that the kid might be able to play some DT for them.

Or maybe not. Maybe they don't watch the hours of practice tapes when they evaluate and make roster decisions, maybe they simply flip a coin, heads he's in, tails he's out. How else would they get the coinflipping practice they'll need once the literal season starts?

Interesting, ya got a link or is that your assessment of the situation? 2nd round puts him in the Reyes/Thompson/Still range.......

threefolddead
04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
This made me laugh. All I could think about was the picture of Marcus Thomas doing that backflip and how that got us excited about what he could do... Wa Waaa Waaaaaa Lets see Garland on the field before we change our whole draft for him.

CoachChaz
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I think Garland can be a very pleasant surprise, but changing the draft because of him? Kind of shocked that is an actual question

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
we got torn up after he got hurt.. you could see his absence in the sloppy play and the lack of cohesion. Plus he played really well last year for what he was asked to do..

Early in the season he looked like 38 year old struggling to keep up with younger players but as the season progressed Dawkins play also improved. That's the way it looked to me.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Appearantly not.

That's quite stretch. I don't see anything in his comments that Garland is seen as any answer. The statement by itself means nothing. Elway may feel like defensive tackle isn't a priority but that doesn't mean Fox and Xanders feel that way. Going by last year Elway didn't unilatteral decisions. Fox and Xanders had huge say in personnel.

Jsteve01
04-24-2012, 08:55 AM
That's quite stretch. I don't see anything in his comments that Garland is seen as any answer. The statement by itself means nothing. Elway may feel like defensive tackle isn't a priority but that doesn't mean Fox and Xanders feel that way. Going by last year Elway didn't unilatteral decisions. Fox and Xanders had huge say in personnel.

and if you think JDR won't have some say in the maekup of this d then you are flat nuts. Can anyone say Henderson, Stroud and alualu? He values tackles.

TXBRONC
04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
and if you think JDR won't have some say in the maekup of this d then you are flat nuts. Can anyone say Henderson, Stroud and alualu? He values tackles.

Absolutely. From what Elway said last year the coordinators were given opportunity to voice their opinions.

Chef Zambini
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I think elwayis smart enuff to play his cards close to his chest in the upcoming draft.
this comment can only be a smokescreen.
heck, the broncos couls surprise us all, move up to number 3 and take trent richardson.
and i would be ok with that.

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I, like so many others have been blessed with the gift of opinion. I have no problem recognising that my opinion may differ from others and may, at times be drawn while suffering from the effects of having had my head inserted in either a cloud or a dark tunnel. But, while my opinion may differ it is one of the few things in this world that I own title to. When the NFL holds its anual crapshoot otherwise known as the draft, this year will be no different than the previous 50. All of which reached completion without any of the teams or players involved ever contacting me to see what I thought. Afterwards, most of us will be able to say it was not our fault if the players our team choose differed from those we wanted them to invest in. None of us have any idea at this point what our teams plan may be and therefor can not know if that plan changed. What we do know is that there will be decisions made based on what the powers that be feel is best suited to make our team at least better than it had been. If it turns out different but not better at least we know it wasn't because of our involvement. Will my opinion make any difference next year? No, but it will still belong to me and I will still be glad to share it with all of you so that we can discuss if it was drawn from that cloud or that dark cavern. As long as the Broncos win next year who cares who they draft. It won't change the quality of my life or yours. Unless you happen to be a member of this years draft.

Slick
04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Mannway, hit the enter button after one or two sentences please.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
FROM ARTICLE:

Today's questions about the Broncos come from Estuardo Zepeda.

Q: Denver has veterans Ty Warren, Kevin Vickerson and Justin Bannan at defensive tackle. Is that enough talent there? Or do the Broncos need to draft a defensive tackle in the first round?

A: The Broncos feel good about their defensive line before the NFL draft, which starts Thursday. Unless defensive tackle Michael Brockers of LSU falls to the Broncos' No. 25 slot in the first round, they probably won't use their first pick to acquire a player at that position.

The Broncos don't need to draft a defensive tackle in the first round this week because they probably can get a good one in the second round. That's how deep this draft is at defensive tackle.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20462040/broncos-can-afford-draft-defensive-tackle-after-first

Mannway187
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Mannway, hit the enter button after one or two sentences please.
Laughed so hard I almost poooed myself. I thought all that was 1 or 2 sentences. Does a sentence end with a period or a deep breath?

Cugel
04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Heres what is being said about our newest DT:
"Garland was a training camp phenom two years ago, impressing the coaches with his work ethic and regularly outracing quarterback Tim Tebow in post-practice wind sprints."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7837786/ben-garland-gets-early-release-us-air-force-joins-denver-broncos

Sounds like this kid is the real deal. Now we can definately trade out of the first round and pick up a couple additional later picks.

Big Al said on the radio 104.3 The Fan today when asked about Garland: "I always thought he was a 'cup of coffee' guy" -- i.e. a marginal player who will be around in the NFL long enough to have a cup of coffee and then will be gone. :coffee:

He's almost certainly right. Total scrub who would be lucky to make the roster on a team with any decent DTs. Here he might just make the 53 man roster. :rolleyes:

When a guy is described as "hard working" that usually indicates a special teams player. Notice what they DON'T say: "We think Garland definitely has the talent and skill to play in this league and be an impact player."

The Broncos might well not draft a DT in the first round. But the addition of Garland is utterly irrelevant.

Cugel
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Appearantly not.

They probably ARE picking one. Maybe not in the first round. But, there's zero question that it's by far the biggest need on the team. Their DTs simply are not good. And no amount of management-speak about how much confidence they have in Warren & Vickerson is going to change that.

They'll be lucky if both those players are available to start the season. And who on God's earth is backing them up? Nobody at all!

This is a DESPERATE need whether they admit it or not. Period.

Chef Zambini
04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
I, like so many others have been blessed with the gift of opinion. I have no problem recognising that my opinion may differ from others and may, at times be drawn while suffering from the effects of having had my head inserted in either a cloud or a dark tunnel. But, while my opinion may differ it is one of the few things in this world that I own title to. When the NFL holds its anual crapshoot otherwise known as the draft, this year will be no different than the previous 50. All of which reached completion without any of the teams or players involved ever contacting me to see what I thought. Afterwards, most of us will be able to say it was not our fault if the players our team choose differed from those we wanted them to invest in. None of us have any idea at this point what our teams plan may be and therefor can not know if that plan changed. What we do know is that there will be decisions made based on what the powers that be feel is best suited to make our team at least better than it had been. If it turns out different but not better at least we know it wasn't because of our involvement. Will my opinion make any difference next year? No, but it will still belong to me and I will still be glad to share it with all of you so that we can discuss if it was drawn from that cloud or that dark cavern. As long as the Broncos win next year who cares who they draft. It won't change the quality of my life or yours. Unless you happen to be a member of this years draft.behold a man who recognizes the value and impact of his opinion.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 03:19 AM
behold a man who recognizes the value and impact of his opinion.

I just wish he recognized the value and impact of the "return" key.......

Mannway187
04-25-2012, 03:39 AM
I just wish he recognized the value and impact of the "return" key.......

You now have only 2 wishes left. You can use one of the two to wish that my computer were newer because I have yet to locate the key you wasted a wish on.
Is your other hand full yet?

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 03:57 AM
You now have only 2 wishes left. You can use one of the two to wish that my computer were newer because I have yet to locate the key you wasted a wish on.
Is your other hand full yet?Try "enter", hopefully we'll find the right key before I run out of wishes.......

Mannway187
04-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Thats a key I do have, cleanest key on my board. Who'd uh thunk it?

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Thats a key I do have, cleanest key on my board. Who'd uh thunk it?

Anybody whose to tried read one of your posts.......