PDA

View Full Version : Franchise tag

Pool
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I don`t know if this has been discussed before so I`ll bring it up:

What current players have a franchise tag on them???

If Orton, Simms, and Brandstater never get tagged, can we assume they`re not going to be in the long term future plans???

Northman
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Why would they tag the Qb's? They didnt even tag Cutler.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
You only tag a guy who is an URFA...none of our FA's this offseason were worthy of the tag.

If Orton really plays well this year and we do not sign him to an extension, he could get the tag next year.

Tned
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Yea, they have to be a special player to tag them, since you pay them something like the average of the 5 highest paid players at that position.

getlynched47
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
You only tag a guy who is an URFA...none of our FA's this offseason were worthy of the tag.

If Orton really plays well this year and we do not sign him to an extension, he could get the tag next year.

Orton won't get tagged. If a CBA isn't in place next seasons...then he becomes a restricted free agent, which means we still have his rights.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Oh I thought he was UFA next year.

Dortoh
04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Look I'm pulling for Orton as hard as anyone but tagging him and paying Kyle freaking Orton Manning type $ would be insane :laugh:

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Look I'm pulling for Orton as hard as anyone but tagging him and paying Kyle freaking Orton Manning type $ would be insane :laugh:

Not if he plays like Manning

Plus it would give us time to come up with a new contract all parties agree on. Just like Cassell.

Dortoh
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Not if he plays like Manning

Plus it would give us time to come up with a new contract all parties agree on. Just like Cassell.

You tag him and he signs the offer sheet you have to pay the man no?

Now if he plays like Manning um then ok pay the man.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
You tag him and he signs the offer sheet you have to pay the man no?

Now if he plays like Manning um then ok pay the man.

No, as far as I know you can do whatever you want even after he signs the tender...trade him, resign him to a new contract, etc.

Cassell signed his tender, the Pats traded him, the Chefs inherited his tagged contract, then resigned him to an extension.

Ravage!!!
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
No, as far as I know you can do whatever you want even after he signs the tender...trade him, resign him to a new contract, etc.

Cassell signed his tender, the Pats traded him, the Chefs inherited his tagged contract, then resigned him to an extension.

has he signed an extension yet?

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
yes 6 years $36mil

EDIT: Oh whoops guess that was just a rumor....but he will have a new contract before the season starts

getlynched47
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
has he signed an extension yet?

No. He hasn't yet.

getlynched47
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
yes 6 years $36mil

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=3237

NBC Sports' Tom Curran reports that there is "no deal" between the Chiefs and Matt Cassel.
Curran received a text message from Cassel on Saturday using those exact words. Expect the Chiefs to get serious about an extension early next month.

SI.com's Peter King disputes two reports that the Chiefs have signed Matt Cassel to a six-year extension.
King cites two sources on his Twitter account, and NBC's Tom Curran has confirmed there's no deal. A Cassel extension is inevitable, but it may not be signed off on yet. It should become official after this weekend's draft.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Regardless if he has signed yet or not, it is possible to sign an extension after you sign your tender for a tagged year. That was my point.

Cassell will have a contract in place...no way the Chefs pay him $15 mil this year.

Ravage!!!
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Regardless if he has signed yet or not, it is possible to sign an extension after you sign your tender for a tagged year. That was my point.

Cassell will have a contract in place...no way the Chefs pay him $15 mil this year.

I know. BUt you made it sound like he had and I was just curious if you knew if had or not.

Dortoh
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

I think the player has the option to sign a new contract at anytime but if he refuses you pay the man top $ for one year.

I think there is some risk involved to the team.

Obviously if you like the player enough to tag him you would make a nice offer on a long term deal and the player would have to really want out of town to turn it down.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I know. BUt you made it sound like he had and I was just curious if you knew if had or not.

I had read about the 6 year deal when the story first broke. I didn't realize it was not true until I checked Google when you asked.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I think the player has the option to sign a new contract at anytime but if he refuses you pay the man top $ for one year.

I think there is some risk involved to the team.

Obviously if you like the player enough to tag him you would make a nice offer on a long term deal and the player would have to really want out of town to turn it down.

Yea but most players will take the longer deal. It's really not that much of a risk. Teams tag guys all the time and then resign them before the season.

If the player is the guy you want, then pay the man.

GEM
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
The only players I see deserving of the franchise tag right now....Clady or Bailey. Marshall is questionable because of his chance at getting suspended. Clady we don't have to worry about for a bit. Bailey is ok for now and I'd seriously have to consider it if he's on the block next season just to see how he's recovered from injury and if he's lost a step due to age.

Broncolingus
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
The only players I see deserving of the franchise tag right now....Clady or Bailey. Marshall is questionable because of his chance at getting suspended. Clady we don't have to worry about for a bit. Bailey is ok for now and I'd seriously have to consider it if he's on the block next season just to see how he's recovered from injury and if he's lost a step due to age.

100% agree, Gem...

Not necessarily about a franchise tag, but Clady’s the player last player I’d like to see go at this point…

Interesting that Denver has done well with LT’s over the past 15 our so years…

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
It'd have to be Marshall or Bailey if we ever used it next year.

yardog
04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Franchise Cutler oh crap never mind we took care of that problem already. :tsk:

GEM
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
100% agree, Gem...

Not necessarily about a franchise tag, but Clady’s the player last player I’d like to see go at this point…

I'd fruit about losing Clady more than I did about Cutler. Dude is just impressive.

Broncolingus
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd fruit about losing Clady more than I did about Cutler. Dude is just impressive.

Yep...feel the same way.

LRtagger
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Clady will not even get to the last year of his contract...they will extend him before then IMO

Dortoh
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
100% agree, Gem...

I'd argue based on Foster but atleast McFatty was still the GM in Detroit so we got some value back for that bust-o-rama

Broncolingus
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I'd argue based on Foster but atleast McFatty was still the GM in Detroit so we got some value back for that bust-o-rama

I hear ya...

He was gone pretty fast, though, which is why I put that in there...

I guess Denver only keep's dead weight on the DL...

Ravage!!!
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Clady is safe for a few years on his contract, but I woudn't be surprised if we franchise tagged Marshall.... if we need to. I would be VERY surprised if we tagged Bailey...