PDA

View Full Version : Right now (as in today), who can throw the football the farthest?

sneakers
04-22-2012, 05:20 AM
You have your options....

One is John Elway,
The other 15 years or so younger but neck sucks,
the other is the 6 time worlds strongest man.

DenBronx
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Elway had a cannon. As good as Manning is I dont think he ever could throw as deep as Elway did.

But according to Cutler, he says he has a stronger arm than both....

WARHORSE
04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Whut?

Jsteve01
04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
War I think its a vague reference to Jay Cutler whose alter ego is a bodybuilder

sneakers
04-23-2012, 01:37 AM
War I think its a vague reference to Jay Cutler whose alter ego is a bodybuilder

Whoa! You just totally over thought that! I am impressed, however!

Simple Jaded
04-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Right here, right now; Cutler then Elway then Manning.......

HORSEPOWER 56
04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Uncle Rico...

hotcarl
04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
nothing can throw faster than a dog

Northman
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I can throw it over that thar mountain!

http://static.moviefanatic.com/images/gallery/uncle-rico-picture.jpg

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
nothing can throw faster than a dog

Say what? what the hell is wrong with you?

topscribe
04-23-2012, 12:20 PM
In the 2002 Quarterback Challenge, Manning threw the ball 68 yards. To put it into perspective, Brady threw it 67 yards and Plummer 66 in the same event. That is not particularly a big arm. Favre threw it 77 yards in a later event. Elway never participated in a Quarterback Challenge, IIRC, but he could launch it 70 yards with a seeming flick of the wrist. I saw a YouTube video of Elway in high school in which he threw the ball about 80 yards in the air. (I just looked for it -- I don't see it anymore, but I'm telling the truth.)

But getting back to Manning, he does not have a "cannon." He just has a knack for putting it precisely where he wants it . . .

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
In the 2002 Quarterback Challenge, Manning threw the ball 68 yards. To put it into perspective, Brady threw it 67 yards and Plummer 66 in the same event. That is not particularly a big arm. Favre threw it 77 yards in a later event. Elway never participated in a Quarterback Challenge, IIRC, but he could launch it 70 yards with a seeming flick of the wrist. I saw a YouTube video of Elway in high school in which he threw the ball about 80 yards in the air. (I just looked for it -- I don't see it anymore, but I'm telling the truth.)

But getting back to Manning, he does not have a "cannon." He just has a knack for putting it precisely where he wants it . . .

all those stats are unreal. especially the 77 yarder by Favre. is that kind of strenght innate so you think Top? obviously to some extent, but what can you do in the weight room to emphasize that? anything?

topscribe
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
all those stats are unreal. especially the 77 yarder by Favre. is that kind of strenght innate so you think Top? obviously to some extent, but what can you do in the weight room to emphasize that? anything?
You take a look at Manning's arms, and you wonder how he can throw the ball even 68 yards. Same with Plummer. Tebow by no means has a "cannon," yet the guy is incredibly buff.

With a lot of work on mechanics, a player can increase his distance some. But those guys with "cannons" were born with it, I'm afraid. They either have or they don't . . .

BroncoNut
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
You take a look at Manning's arms, and you wonder how he can throw the ball even 68 yards. Same with Plummer. Tebow by no means has a "cannon," yet the guy is incredibly buff.

With a lot of work on mechanics, a player can increase his distance some. But those guys with "cannons" were born with it, I'm afraid. They either have or they don't . . .

that's always the impression I got. I can't see where the bicep would be instrumental, they foreshoulder, possibly. To me its alot like speed. you can train for it, but for the most part it's genetics. fast twitch vs slow twitch

sneakers
04-24-2012, 10:01 PM

I saw this once, vinny testeverde threw the ball 84 yards.

TimHippo
04-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I saw this once, vinny testeverde threw the ball 84 yards.

. . . and it was intercepted.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 01:04 AM
. . . and it was intercepted.

Still a great punt.......

Chef Zambini
04-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Jeff george thru a football thru the uprights from the 50 yard line...
from his KNEES. thats 60 yards, clearing a ten foot bar,
from his freakin knees !

Mike Vick seems to have the strongest arm, he makes 40 yard passes look effortless.

in his prime, i would take elways cannon over anyone else.

vandammage13
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
I hear Jamarcus Russell has the biggest arm in the game...His ability to sling it effortlessly deep is surely an important QB attribute that will help him have a successful career.

tomjonesrocks
04-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Vick and then Cutler for strongest arm today.

Elway over Cultler is his prime.

Unsure also about Vick. Never seen a guy throw with so much velocity with a light flick of the arm. He's superhuman.

topscribe
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Still a great punt.......
Depends . . . what was the hang time? ;)