PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could find quality defensive tackles after first round of draft

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Danno in Lakewood:

Q: Could you tell me if the Broncos have considered Alameda Ta'amu from Washington? He was in CU's backfield all day last season. He could be there in the second, and possibly, the third round.

A: Danno, Ta'amu is certainly on the Broncos' radar at defensive tackle. In fact, he's just the kind of player who will be available after the first round in this draft and why the Broncos won't feel compelled to take a defensive tackle with their opening pick — at No. 25 — if a defensive tackle is not the highest-rated player still on their board at that point.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20444759/broncos-could-find-quality-defensive-tackles-after-first

NorCalBronco7
04-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Ive been away from the forums for what feels like ages, so I dont know how most people feel about this, but im not sold that the Broncos are most likely taking a dt in the first. I have a feeling the pick could be almost any position.

Dzone
04-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Its going to be Brockers, 6-5 325 pounder who will be an all pro

bcbronc
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Its going to be Brockers, 6-5 325 pounder who will be an all pro

If he's there. If he's not, all depends who is. You don't leave a CB with a 9.7* score on the board to take a DT with a 9.6* (*numbers made up).

Kris Jenkins 44th overall pick. Brentson Buckner 50th overall pick.

Of course there's always Marcus Stroud 13th overall and John Henderson 9th overall, but we don't have a top 15 pick. Would be nice to have a pick early on day 2.

WARHORSE
04-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Its our fourth rounders that will be the difference in this draft.

Softskull
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Give me Brandon Thompson in the second round and I'll be happy.

Jsteve01
04-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Ta amu or Thompson would pair nicely with vick and warren then take akiem Hicks in the 5th or 6th as a developmental pick and I'd be cool.

dogfish
04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
If he's there. If he's not, all depends who is. You don't leave a CB with a 9.7* score on the board to take a DT with a 9.6* (*numbers made up).

thanks, shanahan. . .

:welcome:

Nomad
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Perhaps BRONCOS could use Ravens or Giants grading scale when looking at DTs.

Bad Intentions
04-23-2012, 06:40 AM
I would take Ta'Amu in the second and claim victory. The only problem is, the guy is way too talented to slip that far. A lot of teams are similar to us. Want DTs and CBs. Do you go with the character risk in Jenkins or gamble on a potentially good RT like Reyes, Thompson, Wolfe, or Ta'Amu? The big question for me right now, if Jenkins slides to the middle of the 2nd, do you go get him? My gut says stay away from him. Tigers don't change their stripes, especially when they all of the sudden get millions of dollars. I would prefer we get dynamic players through the first three rounds. This team still needs and infusion of speed and talent. It's a score the most points league. That is why teams like GB, NO, NE, and even Indy until last year were perenial 12-15 win teams. Load up on play makers and get role players in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Then get one gem in the 5th, 6th or 7th.

Doug Martin in the first or either Lamar Miller, Polk, or LaMichael James in the 2nd. Must come away with at least one game breaker. Martin offers you a game breaker and a guy that can take over for McGahee and be the 20 carry back you want for the next four or five years. Downside of an early RB is the shortened "lifespan" in the production of NFL RBs.

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Call me crazy, but I have a hard time believing Ta'amu, Thompson or Martin will be there at pick 57. If we want our DT, we need to get him in round 1. Why take the chance?

Assuming he's there...and it's a good possibility...give me Brockers with that 1st pick.

Jsteve01
04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
I prefer Ta'amu to virtually every DT in this draft. The obsession with Poe has made people forget that Alameda has better tape in a far better conference. I want a huge disruptor to allow Vickerson and Warren to get after the passer from the UT. I think Brockers has a ton of upside but he plays too high at times and strikes me as a guy who'll take longer to develop. I also have huge doubts about him being there at 25 as he's had the most visits by far of any DT in this class.

CoachChaz
04-23-2012, 09:27 AM
The thing about Brockers that I believe people tend to miss is that he is already VERY good against the run...which is our primary need. His ceiling is his pass rush. Once that develops, he could potentially be one of the most well-rounded DT's in a long time. Brockers is #2 for me after Cox, who will be long gone. Odds are slim that Brockers will be available as well, but if he is...my card is turned in in record time.

And then I would still try to trade up higher in the 2nd to get Thompson or Alameda.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
The thing about Brockers that I believe people tend to miss is that he is already VERY good against the run...which is our primary need. His ceiling is his pass rush. Once that develops, he could potentially be one of the most well-rounded DT's in a long time. Brockers is #2 for me after Cox, who will be long gone. Odds are slim that Brockers will be available as well, but if he is...my card is turned in in record time.

And then I would still try to trade up higher in the 2nd to get Thompson or Alameda.

Denver's 57 and first pick in the 4th round would get them up to about the 14th pick in the 2nd, or 46th overall.......